Headwing Central (OOC)

Started by Eli_In_Chains, October 04, 2012, 12:48:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AmberCross

Speaking of which, my interest in this RP has very abruptly waned. Partly because other stuff is happening, partly because I realize now that I built a recluse character that has little to no reason to talk with other people. I'll probably still throw in the occasional post, but Tristan is most likely going to be spending his time in the library, at various classes, etc. He'll be around and all, he just won't be very active.

Eli_In_Chains

As you wish. If you like, I would let you enter another character in place of Tristan. It shouldn't be too hard to work something out. Either that or Blaine could be used to draw Tristan out more--as the initial intention had been--and have him meet new people. After all, Blaine is going to be making new friends, odds are he and Tristan would run into each other at least a couple times while Blaine is with someone else. Niall, for example, would be a fine candidate for that, considering how things would look to a ferret crushing on Blaine. If not now then possibly in the future, if your interest picks up again. ^^

AmberCross

Oh... he (and I) will be back eventually once more characters are running around aside from Blain and Niall (occupied), and the ex-tyrant (intimidating).

VAE

If anyone particularly wants to bump into a confused looking cat trying to find a lecture hall,  I have purposefully left  where Kallis is walking around trying to find the place rather vague. Also gives owl an opportunity to set the scene with the metallurgy lecture (since Dosve mentioned it first) , unless he wants me to (which i wouldn't be all that against)
What i cannot create, i do not understand. - Richard P. Feynman
This is DMFA. Where major species don't understand clothing. So innuendo is overlooked for nuendo. .
Saphroneth

Corgatha Taldorthar

How exactly will we be handling going to classes (which are likely not shared by other players?)
Someday, when we look back on this, we'll both laugh nervously and change the subject. More is good. All is better.

Eli_In_Chains

Apologies for the late post, I'd replied on my phone earlier but apparently it didn't get through or something because of spotty internet.

Generally, classes that aren't shared by other players are ultimately not going to affect the roleplay very much. Learning, for instance, the practical use of magic in finish carpentry is not going to be called upon in the roleplay much. As a result, it's fine to either include or exclude some description of the class. Ambercross's description of the events in Tristan's class was concise and is a good example of choosing to include the events of your class in a post. Blaine, meanwhile, recently went to his first class at SAIA, but I didn't choose to narrate the class itself to save time for relevant information. Instead I conveyed anything relevant he would have learned (being a shielding class, some of his new skills will affect the roleplay) through actions and thoughts. So, anything you care to do is perfectly fine. But if they learn something that other players in the roleplay ought to know about (someone who can't block their thoughts picking up that skill for instance), just mention it at some point during the narrative. Pulling new skills out of thin air later on in the roleplay and saying "They learned it in class a while back" isn't a good thing, though I suspect I don't have to say that to any of you.

justacritic

So I don't know to continue Kart's actions. Does he wait for Mira to reply or should he just head out to Dr. Ink's office?

Eli_In_Chains

Considering the context, I'd say you could do either after that post. You didn't seem to say that much she could respond to, so whichever you would like would work, I think. Will I be playing Dr. Ink when you get to the office?

Eli_In_Chains

Apologies for my delay; I haven't been feeling well of late, probably due to trying to get my projects done before the end of the semester, and general lack of sleep. Blegh. I'll get to my post as soon as I can, Tapewolf. Thanks for your patience; I'd (fail to) give you cookies in some amusing manner, but my brain is too fried to think of a joke. >.>

Tapewolf

Quote from: Eli_In_Chains on December 06, 2012, 01:08:22 AM
(OOC: Someone other than me and Tapewolf has to respond sometime... it's been over two weeks since someone else took their turn. Someone post something before this turns into a two-man roleplay.)

I second that idea...

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Eli_In_Chains

If it comes to it, I have Gideon currently doing nothing; I could stir some action up with another character using him, but people other than me ought to be making stuff happen too. It seems like everyone's fallen into a state of paralysis as soon as their characters are alone. :x It's fine not wanting to write for your character when they're alone. So just make that an opportunity to nudge them over somewhere that something else is happening.

Because seriously. o.o Tape and I are not the only people in this roleplay.

Tapewolf

I was thinking that Niall should probably check out on Horethen in any case.  Ideally I'd have moved him to the gym directly, but given that he likes Blaine, walking out on him without a chance to say 'bye' would have been rude.

Corgatha Taldorthar

A lot of that's my fault. I've been too busy with school to even log on long enough to check what's been going on, and I at least should have written in.

I'll get a post up later today, but I have to dash off to my (last) class of Appellate Procedure.

Post up, and Horethen has left an indeterminate classroom at an indeterminate time. He's open to anyone who would like to interact.

Also, props for anyone who catches the reference I laid down in the post. Tis a subtle one.
Someday, when we look back on this, we'll both laugh nervously and change the subject. More is good. All is better.

Eli_In_Chains

Well, now that leaves more than a couple of openings. We've got Niall floating relatively aimlessly, Horethen doing much the same, Kart on his way to Dr. Ink's (if I'm not mistaken), Gideon doing... something, I haven't decided what... Kallis is also confused and walking around in the halls... only about half of the characters are in a position not to run into other characters right now. In the interest of fairness I'm disinclined to engage Niall with Gideon; that leaves Horethen, Kallis, and Kart, if I'm not mistaken. Considering Gideon is likely to be too mean-spirited towards Kallis and really rather unhelpful, and Kart's player has been inactive, I'm leaning towards having him run into Horethen. Is that agreeable to you, Corgatha? It'd certainly keep things moving along.

And Meany, if you're reading this, I believe Kallis is attending the same metallurgy lecture Dosve mentioned; I think it would behoove you to handle that. ^^ Sorry if I seem a little heavy-handed right now, but this slowdown is probably irritating everyone, so if I have to nudge people in one direction or another to get things going, I'll do it. Don't take my suggestions as mandates, anyway. So long as something happens, it's all well. ^^

Tapewolf

Quote from: Eli_In_Chains on December 07, 2012, 01:53:19 AM
Sorry if I seem a little heavy-handed right now, but this slowdown is probably irritating everyone, so if I have to nudge people in one direction or another to get things going, I'll do it. Don't take my suggestions as mandates, anyway. So long as something happens, it's all well. ^^

No, that's good - these things sometimes need a little push to keep them ticking along.  It would be nice to have Niall encounter someone else.

VAE

Heh. I'm pondering of having Kallis run into Horethen on the way. After all, what with his dress and attitude, he does look sufficiently important to pass off for university staff for someone who isn't there for long, and has all sorts of preconceptions about how important cubi should look.
This is DMFA. Where major species don't understand clothing. So innuendo is overlooked for nuendo. .
Saphroneth

Corgatha Taldorthar

I don't have any real preferences to either (or both) characters running into Horethen. If either of you want to set up an encounter, I'm game.

Eli_In_Chains

In that case, I shall be having Gideon run into Niall. As soon as I finish breakfast. *noms a sandwich* I feel a duplication of effort is unwarranted in this case, so if Kallis shall be meeting Horethen, Gideon might as well not.

EDIT: Ha, Gideon can (try to) be nice when he wants to. Somehow I feel like he's come across as a prick anyway, though.

VAE

Hmm, was Horethen's broadcast somehow shieldproof? Or at least, would she know he's broadcasting to lower? Because I suspect she did have mindshield on due to practical reasons (such as not going nuts in  a place like this).
Saphroneth

Eli_In_Chains

That's something you and Corgatha should talk about individually; if she was ignoring thoughts hard enough, then it's very possible she didn't hear him. But mind-shields, protecting your own thoughts, don't block outside thoughts, so if she was just keeping people out of her thoughts, she would have heard him.

VAE

Uh, that's why I'm asking about it in the OOC thread, hoping he'll read it :3
Saphroneth

Corgatha Taldorthar

This mirrors the confusion I had when talking to Tape, but I was under the impression that mind-shields only block thoughts coming out, not going in. But, if you want her filtering outside thoughts enough that she can't immediately realize Horethen is communicating, I can edit the post.

VAE

Oh, it'd still work , with him doing stuff, but messages not getting across, I think
Though... I'm also rusty on mindshield working.. perhaps Tape should chime in here. Or maybe not.. it's far too late for me being intelligent in any way.
Saphroneth

Eli_In_Chains

I believe the issue came up earlier in this thread, like Corgatha mentioned, with the confusion between Horethen and Niall. Filtering other people's thoughts out is a separate process from shielding your own is the conclusion we came to. Corgatha's right on this point.

VAE

Yeah, in that case it sort of solves the problem.
Saphroneth

Tapewolf

How good are you are writing combat scenes?  I'm pretty hopeless.  The last RP spar I did was written by Bas since he knew what he was doing and I didn't :P

Eli_In_Chains

It's been a while since my last one, but I'd say that I'm at least better than most. I know about martial arts from a practical standpoint, having studied various ones over my life (most recently and helpfully Krav Maga), and from a more theoretical standpoint I have a grasp on how to fight with weapons like swords and knives. Though, practically, I'm nowhere near as good sparring with boffers as I am in close quarters, that's thankfully not an issue when just writing things out. I wouldn't have created a combat-oriented character if I didn't know how to fight, myself. ^^;

What did you have in mind? If you want me to write the whole thing start to finish, for both characters, I'd want to talk with you in some detail beforehand to get some grasp on the direction you'd want it to take, just how rusty Niall is, whether he's a pragmatic or above-the-belt fighter, to what extent he'd get riled up by a fight, that sort of thing. On the other hand, I'd be just as willing to work with you on the fight in a sort of consultative writing procedure, where I put it together but you give input on what Niall would think, say, whether he'd be quick enough to react to something or skilled enough to know how to counter something, things like that. In any case, I want to make sure that you have a strong degree of control over your character, mainly because he's YOUR character and not mine but also because I don't think I know him well enough to just sit down and write him accurately even if you said it was fine.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Eli_In_Chains on December 10, 2012, 08:43:55 PM
What did you have in mind? If you want me to write the whole thing start to finish, for both characters, I'd want to talk with you in some detail beforehand to get some grasp on the direction you'd want it to take, just how rusty Niall is, whether he's a pragmatic or above-the-belt fighter, to what extent he'd get riled up by a fight, that sort of thing. On the other hand, I'd be just as willing to work with you on the fight in a sort of consultative writing procedure, where I put it together but you give input on what Niall would think, say, whether he'd be quick enough to react to something or skilled enough to know how to counter something, things like that. In any case, I want to make sure that you have a strong degree of control over your character, mainly because he's YOUR character and not mine but also because I don't think I know him well enough to just sit down and write him accurately even if you said it was fine.

Heh, I'm not sure I know Niall well enough to predict how he'd react in combat, either.  By the time of Project Future, he's a reasonably good marksman, but in this era he'd be restricted to flintlocks, crossbows and suchlike.  It's not clear that he would have gone in for that at this point yet.  His more vigilante role hasn't been properly documented but it's more based on stealth and subterfuge - combat is a last resort.

He understands that self-defence is important, both as a 'Cubi and as a faux-Being.  It might be 25 years since he last sparred, but cumulatively he would have spent quite a few decades of his life learning it so it should all come back to him fairly quickly.  He'd be of average grade, and he tends not to get too emotional, at least in the stories.

Two things which do get him inflamed are 'Cubi persecution, and soul-stealing.  In terms of fight rules, it depends on the circumstances.  In a spar he'd fight cleanly and honourably.  If his life was on the line he'd do whatever it takes.

What I remember Bas and I doing in 'Flight of Fancy' was he wrote the basic scene, then ran it past me first in case I had any changes.

Eli_In_Chains

I may know enough about him from that to get, at least, a rough draft of the scene done now. PM me if you've got anything else to add or request or anything like that; when I've got the post done, I'll PM it to you for your revision and see whether you're happy with the post. You can make or suggest changes and I'll polish it up before sticking it in the thread. Will that work for you?

Tapewolf

Quote from: Eli_In_Chains on December 11, 2012, 10:53:37 PM
I may know enough about him from that to get, at least, a rough draft of the scene done now. PM me if you've got anything else to add or request or anything like that; when I've got the post done, I'll PM it to you for your revision and see whether you're happy with the post. You can make or suggest changes and I'll polish it up before sticking it in the thread. Will that work for you?

That sounds like a plan.

EDIT: Oh, he would check the rules first.  I must remember to do a post of that first before we run with it.