Warp drive is now theoretically feasible!

Started by Alondro, September 18, 2012, 02:19:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alondro

I was right!  I KNEW there was a way to trick the universe into letting it happen!

http://news.yahoo.com/warp-drive-may-more-feasible-thought-scientists-161301109.html

And it's so similar to the way I thought it could be done!  Much more detailed, of course, but the general idea of using an alternate form of matter around the central ship to facilitate the warp and form the space bubble in which the ship will move, and messing around with spatial orientations of the field to lower the energy requirements is EXACTLY what I postulated! 

And now the energy predictions are so low they can actually experiment to see if it will work!  Yay!  I can go visit aliens soon!  *the aliens, sensing the threat, build a giant wall around the Solar System, anything to keep Alondro from getting to them!*
Three's a crowd:  One lordly leonine of the Leyjon, one cruel and cunning cubi goddess, and one utterly doomed human stuck between them.

http://www.furfire.org/art/yapcharli2.gif

Ignuus66

Quote from: Alondro on September 18, 2012, 02:19:41 PM
I was right!  I KNEW there was a way to trick the universe into letting it happen!

http://news.yahoo.com/warp-drive-may-more-feasible-thought-scientists-161301109.html

And it's so similar to the way I thought it could be done!  Much more detailed, of course, but the general idea of using an alternate form of matter around the central ship to facilitate the warp and form the space bubble in which the ship will move, and messing around with spatial orientations of the field to lower the energy requirements is EXACTLY what I postulated! 

And now the energy predictions are so low they can actually experiment to see if it will work!  Yay!  I can go visit aliens soon!  *the aliens, sensing the threat, build a giant wall around the Solar System, anything to keep Alondro from getting to them!*

Sorry to be the spoilsport here, but there are multiple problems with the alcubierre drive. Namely, we have to find some form of Exotic matter, which has only been theorized to exist. (much like white holes) Next there is the quite sizable problem of the fact that nothing from the back of the bubble can move to the front,  which would cause serious problems for electronics, as they could only work in 2 dimensions, which would make it impossible for them to work in the bubble itself. Then there is the problem of energy. The amount of energy equivalent to 722 kg is MASSIVE, and the only efficient way to generate that much is Antimatter, and then there is the problem of detonating, creating and CONTAINING 722kg-s of antimatter, which would be enough to vaporize Europe (and probably make life extinct)  if used in a bomb.

(credit: Gabi)

Alondro

Quote from: Ignuus66 on September 18, 2012, 02:44:28 PM

Sorry to be the spoilsport here, but there are multiple problems with the alcubierre drive. Namely, we have to find some form of Exotic matter, which has only been theorized to exist. (much like white holes) Next there is the quite sizable problem of the fact that nothing from the back of the bubble can move to the front,  which would cause serious problems for electronics, as they could only work in 2 dimensions, which would make it impossible for them to work in the bubble itself. Then there is the problem of energy. The amount of energy equivalent to 722 kg is MASSIVE, and the only efficient way to generate that much is Antimatter, and then there is the problem of detonating, creating and CONTAINING 722kg-s of antimatter, which would be enough to vaporize Europe (and probably make life extinct)  if used in a bomb.

No matter what advances are made, somebody's gonna be a spoil sport about it!  exotic matter is theorized, just like the Higgs boson was theorized.  They come from the same theory, so if Higgs is there, then exotic matter must be also, as the equations don't work out otherwise.    Also, the new simulations have already dropped the energy requirements down from a star-sized mass to a space-probe mass.  That QUADRILLIONS of times less energy!  And they note that it may be possible to bring it down ever further. 

The point is, there's finally something within the realm of reality that could give us interstellar travel.  It may take decades or longer to become reality, but at least there's something plausible to aim for at long last.
Three's a crowd:  One lordly leonine of the Leyjon, one cruel and cunning cubi goddess, and one utterly doomed human stuck between them.

Azlan

I have to ring in with Alondro, as much as I am a 'don't get your hopes up type', I am hopeful that a very theoretical, but 'feasible' method has been put forth.  After all, there isn't always just one way to do things, sometimes the thought sparks others.  Just don't expect to be saving for your own, or even your kids' tickets to the next closest solar system.
"Ha ha! The fun has been doubled!"

joshofspam

Hope is a powerful thing!

It's even more amazing when you have great minds, a well thought out idea and dreams to back it up. It's been amazing what we've accomplished thus far as a species.

I don't think hoping for deep space travel is to far out an idea not to hope for success. If the theory flops, at the very least we gain much knowledge from the attempt and the other discoveries we make from attempting to put the theory into practice.

The old saying "Nothing ventured, nothing gained" seems to fit this. Like Azlan, I don't expect to be able to buy a ticket to the next solar system, but it is such a novel thought of achieving something else that has been in are dreams or in sci-fi stories.
I perfer my spam cooked on a skillet.

Ignuus66

Quote from: Alondro on September 20, 2012, 02:42:12 PM
Quote from: Ignuus66 on September 18, 2012, 02:44:28 PM

No matter what advances are made, somebody's gonna be a spoil sport about it!  exotic matter is theorized, just like the Higgs boson was theorized.  They come from the same theory, so if Higgs is there, then exotic matter must be also, as the equations don't work out otherwise.    Also, the new simulations have already dropped the energy requirements down from a star-sized mass to a space-probe mass.  That QUADRILLIONS of times less energy!  And they note that it may be possible to bring it down ever further. 

The point is, there's finally something within the realm of reality that could give us interstellar travel.  It may take decades or longer to become reality, but at least there's something plausible to aim for at long last.
Perhaps, but remember, 10 times the speed of light is not very fast if you want to get somewhere. (it would take 2 years to get to Gliese 581 if the ship were traveling at a constant speed) I also forgot to mention the slight problem of annihilating everything in reach (along with the ship) when the drive ends.

While I agree that it is great that a warp drive is feasable (Though not with current technology) We would not live to see it.. well unless we achieve some form of immortality (or very long life) which I don't doubt, due to the fact that we are approaching a nanotech revolution.

Alondro

Weeeeeeell.... I will live to see it, barring an accident, murder, cancer, or infectious disease.  My cellular aging rate is unusually low.  There are some odd quirks about my metabolism, mutations I don't fully comprehend yet.  I'm nearing 40 and still look in my 20's.  I inherited traits from both my parents, who BOTH look in their 40's even though they're in their mid-60's.  I'm actually getting stronger the older I get.  I ran my first 5K run last week, then hiked for 6 hours immediately afterward, for instance.

With the healthier life-style and antioxidants I learned of which lower the rate of ceullar damage even further, my aging has slowed dramatically... though it appears to have side effects of heat intolerance and alopecia due to inducing follicular hibernation in the scalp.

Anyway, I shall more than likely live to be over 100, which gives me another 60+ years to wait for the first star ship Enterprise, because you KNOW they'll gonna call it that. 

Oh, the antioxidants are a combination of alpha-lipoic acid and acetyl-L-carnitine.  They appear to be quite useful for diabetics as well, preventing diabetic nephropathy completely in diabetic rats.

Ignuus66

Quote from: Alondro on October 09, 2012, 09:44:05 AM
Weeeeeeell.... I will live to see it, barring an accident, murder, cancer, or infectious disease.  My cellular aging rate is unusually low.  There are some odd quirks about my metabolism, mutations I don't fully comprehend yet.  I'm nearing 40 and still look in my 20's.  I inherited traits from both my parents, who BOTH look in their 40's even though they're in their mid-60's.  I'm actually getting stronger the older I get.  I ran my first 5K run last week, then hiked for 6 hours immediately afterward, for instance.

With the healthier life-style and antioxidants I learned of which lower the rate of ceullar damage even further, my aging has slowed dramatically... though it appears to have side effects of heat intolerance and alopecia due to inducing follicular hibernation in the scalp.

Anyway, I shall more than likely live to be over 100, which gives me another 60+ years to wait for the first star ship Enterprise, because you KNOW they'll gonna call it that. 

Oh, the antioxidants are a combination of alpha-lipoic acid and acetyl-L-carnitine.  They appear to be quite useful for diabetics as well, preventing diabetic nephropathy completely in diabetic rats.
I'm on team technology here, Immortality through tecnology is much more reliable then immortality through genes. There is a reason why I plan on being a nanotech scientist (or a astronomer, depends on how it goes)