8/13/2012 [DMFA #1330] - The continuing adventures of Flash...

Started by Tapewolf, August 13, 2012, 04:17:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tapewolf

It might also bear repeating that he didn't kill Merlitz (being adventurers and all, saying the Oracle was full of it might not be enough).  And I have to wonder why he hasn't mentioned Aary was on-site... I can understand wanting to protect Dan.

Might be time for Wildy to chirp up again.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

lycaonpictus77

This is the greatest thing I have ever seen.
Ever.
I was hoping we'd find out "there's an evil cubi at Lost Lake" so we'd have someone to blame the Merlitz thing on, but... you know, I think I'm okay with this.

I think my money's on Destania. She's just too much of a wild card where good vs bad is concerned.

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

TacticalError

Anyone have any ideas on why Fa'lina seems slightly happy about the prospect of Destania going off the deep end?

Sofox

Quote from: TacticalError on August 13, 2012, 04:50:39 AM
Anyone have any ideas on why Fa'lina seems slightly happy about the prospect of Destania going off the deep end?

I read the expression more as poignant regret over melanchonic inevitability rather than happiness. She felt that this may happen, and now it finally has.

MT Hazard

I see a confrontation between Dan and Dest at some point in the future. Possibly involving Dan dressed as a women. I'll post the details another time.

Grammar and I Don't always get on.

Link of the moment:  Sleepless domain (web comic) 

Feather Dancer

I just love the fact she trusts Abel and has the faith in him to be able to do it.  Dee really did and half leave Dan in the lurch didn't she? Mean it's obvious she does care about her family but seems heavily reliant on other people to keep everyone in one piece while she lurks elsewhere.
Notalope, making all worries as tasty as pineapples.

Lying Foo

I think Abel's going to look back at this as what he'd call a "Cubi moment."  But still, kickass.

Well, this leads to the obvious question of whether this is an extremely circuitous assassination attempt.

1. Feed Merlitz to Regina and/or Destania.
2. Something something Phoenix Oracle.  (Never mind that the Phoenix Oracles don't seem much more keen on dragons than Cubi or the Sans.)
3. ???

Huh.  Maybe not.
Itsuwari, osore, kyoshoku, urei - samazama wa negative ni torawareru hodo yowaku wa nai, kodoku mo shiranu Trickster.

LoneHowler

Hmm I have a wild crazy theory, not all cubi clans like eachother. I'm sure there are plenty that would be happy to see cyra clan gone. So here is my odd ball theory ( and I wouldn't be surprised to be proven wrong ) the Phonix is a cubi in disguise who set the whole thing up to get rid of Dan. No need to get your hands dirty too much. just kill one pesky adventurer, then impersonate a Phoenix and send avenging adventurers to do dirty work
Yes I know I'm a horrid speller queen of typos but dang it, I'm trying to get better
MY warp aci crappy photoshop I wish I had my tablet working
My Yappty thanks Silver :)
(hmm my sig needs updating. eeeeeh I'll do it later 07/29/06)

Lying Foo

I still think the Oracles are too powerful to allow that.  A lone succubus scaring a lone Phoenix is one thing (especially since she must have seen the attack and its quick resolution coming), but managing to kill and impersonate the seer on point?  No.

...and crap.  I can't believe I just realized that the flashback was meant to convey that (Abel thinks) Dan killed Merlitz through association.  Not an impersonator, or an assassination attempt, or a hidden Cubi, or a metaphorical death, or anything funny like that.

I'm slow.
Itsuwari, osore, kyoshoku, urei - samazama wa negative ni torawareru hodo yowaku wa nai, kodoku mo shiranu Trickster.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Lying Foo on August 13, 2012, 07:32:09 AM
...and crap.  I can't believe I just realized that the flashback was meant to convey that it was Dan who killed Merlitz (through association).  Not an assassination attempt or anything funny like that.

Well, I read it as Destania, since she's the root cause.  But yeah, I think that's where this is heading.  And it has the potential to get much worse if the dragons do show up at Lost Lake.

TacticalError

Quote from: Tapewolf on August 13, 2012, 07:34:20 AM
And it has the potential to get much worse if the dragons do show up at Lost Lake.

I'd say it would definitely get much worse if dragons show up at LL. Unless Mab gets off the whole 'Fae are too powerful to directly intervene' thing. Which she won't. Assuming she even got back from the moon in time.

Lying Foo

justacritic

You know what Abel said in the last panel is rather oracle-like. Technically he is the only cubi at Lost Lake Inn... at the moment so he's not actually lying.

TacticalError

Quote from: Lying Foo on August 13, 2012, 07:48:09 AM
Back from the moon with Hizell's son, you mean?

I don't think it was actually stated that Pyro's dad is Hizell. It was just implied.

Tapewolf

Abel now has a bit of a quandary.  If the purpose of his little flashback was for him to realise that Merlitz has probably fallen foul of Destania's enemies, he can't easily share that information.

He could probably explain to Wildy or Jyrras in private what's going on, but filling in the B-O-B to stop them trying to kill him will be difficult to do without compromising Dan (both as a 'Cubi, and in terms of the Dragons getting wind of him).

EDIT: There again, perhaps not... he could just say that he was there to protect Alexsi and the others at the inn and leave it at that.

maus_merryjest

... Oh, bother. This might very well be Abel's last stand, especially if Jyrras doesn't call in some of his heavy tech.
I'm surprised he hasn't, actually-- if someone on whom I had a huge crush was getting attacked by the Derp But Dangerous Patrol, I'd hold back as much as Ivan the Terrible going through Kazan.

Tapewolf

Quote from: maus_merryjest on August 13, 2012, 09:42:20 AM
... Oh, bother. This might very well be Abel's last stand, especially if Jyrras doesn't call in some of his heavy tech.

Jyrras might intervene.  But even if he doesn't, Abel seems to know what he's doing in a fight.  Wildy is probably not going to stand by either, and you've got umpteen other possible sources of help - folks investigating the distress call, Alexsi (who is going to be pretty mad about this if she wakes up and sees them trying to kill her bodyguard), plus Lorenda, Kria, maybe even Aliyka if she's still alive.  And that's not counting Mab and Pyroduck.

Frankly, I wouldn't give much for the B-O-B's chances if they did take down Abel and then had to face Wildy and Alexsi in a killing rage.

That said, I'm not sure the current fight will last much longer.  The feeling I get is that it's winding down.  But we shall see.

TacticalError

Quote from: Tapewolf on August 13, 2012, 10:10:20 AM
...Abel seems to know what he's doing in a fight.

I agree. He was using his morphed backwings very effectively earlier.

Alondro

The comic has now gone into full-on dramatic bad-ass mode!  The battles shall be glorious and filled with sorrow and pain and suffering!

*Charline salivates*  I'm going to be so full!  >:9
Three's a crowd:  One lordly leonine of the Leyjon, one cruel and cunning cubi goddess, and one utterly doomed human stuck between them.

http://www.furfire.org/art/yapcharli2.gif

e_voyager

if we want to go for the metaphorical killed they it's far to say that Ary killed his adventure's spirit but that might be stretching it a bit. also did the aventues notice that neither Widly nor able have tried to kill them yet? all they've done is basically is self defense or fight for the sake of fighting i Widly case. (though i guess it's far to say she's defending her friends as well)
I thank Silver Fox and Tiger_T for the wonderful Yappies.  all around the universe powers learned to hiss and curse at this, my creation but am i real or pure creation?
 I'm never where i was, rarely where i want to be, but always were i am needed.
 this world is not my own. but some how i wish that i could belong. Blame It On Boxey

joshofspam

Quote from: TacticalError on August 13, 2012, 10:24:31 AM
Quote from: Tapewolf on August 13, 2012, 10:10:20 AM
...Abel seems to know what he's doing in a fight.

I've actually noticed that Abel has a fighting style that is very familiar to what is mentioned about Clan Owona. Could it actually be that Abel might be taking it easy on BOB up to this moment?

Abel certainly wasn't a drop out of the combat courses.
I perfer my spam cooked on a skillet.

Sunblink

Oh, Abel.

Favorite character.

So many feelings about this page. :<

Tapewolf

Quote from: joshofspam on August 13, 2012, 12:06:43 PM
I've actually noticed that Abel has a fighting style that is very familiar to what is mentioned about Clan Owona. Could it actually be that Abel might be taking it easy on BOB up to this moment?

I think you may have a point.  Abel didn't lose it (if he had, it's likely that he and the closest BOB would be dead) but he was definitely in a mood to cause them a lot of pain as a priority.

It looks like he may have switched into strategy mode.  Though I'd like to think that at this point the BOB might have pause to think things over and thrash things out sensibly.  (e.g. the fact that Abel has had time to think undisturbed, and there are no obvious attacks in the final panel)

TacticalError

Also, did anyone else notice that the date at the bottom of the strip says '1012'?

Naldru

Learn to laugh at yourself, and you will never be without a source of amusement.

Ignuus66

Quote from: TacticalError on August 13, 2012, 05:15:24 PM
Also, did anyone else notice that the date at the bottom of the strip says '1012'?
*delurk*
It's happened before a few times, but yeah, its nothing major and probably just a typo.
*relurk*

(credit: Gabi)

Infranscia

Welp, I'd say this comic has some connection to pages 712 and 1,006.  I'm wondering if maybe Dan would have let slip that he's from clan Cyra if Abel wasn't there, or something.

I do think metaphorical death or 'indirectly killed' is fairly high on the 'possible' list.  Cubi-in-disguise is also possible, though I don't know if the Oracles would put up with that.

Also, the BOB mentioned being 'blocked' as a possible reason for Merl's stone not responding, and Destania can block things, at least from being detected magically.  Don't know if that would be powerful enough to confuse the oracle, though I'd say it's possible that it has some connection.

However, something that stood out to me was Abel's last line in the comic: "I'm the only Cubi at Lost Lake Inn.'

Literally, that means 'I am the only Cubi in (or very near) the structure known as Lost Lake Inn at this very moment.'  So not a lie, at least technically.  Not sure if Abel's intentionally using wordplay.  I'm guessing not, but it's hard to say.

Anyway, the Phoenix just said 'some Cubi from Lost Lake.'  "Lost Lake" is a rather large property/area.  While maybe not likely, I'd say there's a chance that there's been a Cubi lurking around the property.

Hmm... On another thought, I wonder if the Phoenix Oracles have a different idea of 'dying' than most.  They don't really die like others do, and when they do 'die' they come back with a different personality (except for Pandora).  So if they tend to use the term 'death' metaphorically it may not be intentional.

Quote from: maus_merryjest on August 13, 2012, 09:42:20 AM... Oh, bother. This might very well be Abel's last stand, especially if Jyrras doesn't call in some of his heavy tech.

It's pretty much been outright said that guns will appear in this chapter.  It's also been very strongly implied that guns have something to do with Jyrras and magic-free material.  I've pretty much been waiting for Jyrras to come in with a pistol since Alexi was sleep-ified, and particularly since the police hung up on Jyrras.  Don't know if any of the police would have guns by now, though I doubt it.

Quote from: Tapewolf on August 13, 2012, 10:10:20 AM...Abel seems to know what he's doing in a fight.

I seem to remember hearing that Abel only took one fighting class, though I don't remember where.  At any rate, he was beaten by Aary (or at least probably Aary), who failed battle tactics.
Please excuse the watermarked avatar.  I haven't bothered to fix it yet.  (Still, thanks to PetFriendAmy for the original pic!)

maus_merryjest

... I could definitely dig some Gunslinging Jyrras.
But he would need to make an entrance with theme music for that. Something along... this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ajMRQnhQ9zU (totally safe for work)

joshofspam

Quote from: Infranscia on August 13, 2012, 06:57:49 PM
Quote from: Tapewolf on August 13, 2012, 10:10:20 AM...Abel seems to know what he's doing in a fight.

I seem to remember hearing that Abel only took one fighting class, though I don't remember where.  At any rate, he was beaten by Aary (or at least probably Aary), who failed battle tactics.

That could be a very valid point. Though it could be just as likely that Abel didn't really feel like battling Aary and was just distracting her from trying to read Jyrras's mind again.
I perfer my spam cooked on a skillet.

Ignuus66

Quote from: maus_merryjest on August 13, 2012, 09:42:20 AM... Oh, bother. This might very well be Abel's last stand, especially if Jyrras doesn't call in some of his heavy tech.

It's pretty much been outright said that guns will appear in this chapter.  It's also been very strongly implied that guns have something to do with Jyrras and magic-free material.  I've pretty much been waiting for Jyrras to come in with a pistol since Alexi was sleep-ified, and particularly since the police hung up on Jyrras.  Don't know if any of the police would have guns by now, though I doubt it.
Mab herself said that the guns in circulation would be flintlocks and or revolvers, and not really used in combat, merely as a strange thing. Jyrras is around 2-3 centuries ahead in weapon technology compared to the rest of the world, and I would think that, if taken by surprise his weapons would probably kill even a dragon before it could try to create a counter, but I think that they would devise a magical barrier after gaining intel, which is what I guess the 100% non magic weaponry he may create, and would be the main weapon against creatures would be for.

I seem to remember hearing that Abel only took one fighting class, though I don't remember where.  At any rate, he was beaten by Aary (or at least probably Aary), who failed battle tactics.
He was taught in close quarters combat by destinia herself, and he was not trying to fight Aary, but he has beaten Dan in a fistfight, so he is quite adept at fighting.

(credit: Gabi)