06/07/2012 [DMFA #1321] - It hit the fan...

Started by RandomMetaphysics, July 06, 2012, 03:16:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arcblade

I'm going to avoid putting my foot in this particular debate.  Instead, I'd like to put in my two cents on how Amber overlaid one scene (Dan's lesson) on another (Abel's birthday) in the last two comics.  This was very, very well done. 

The Dan's lesson scene, which quite informative and thus interesting to those of us who follow the world mechanics as avidly as the plot, is not exactly action-packed or particularly funny.  Amber could have easily shrugged and drawn out the conversation with different poses for Dan and his teacher.  Which would have been fine, if not riveting. 

On the other side with Abel's birthday, Amber could have easily just advanced the scene in the usual way, with the characters saying and doing things.  And we would have all been content with that, because hey, comedy and dialogue! 

Instead, she put them together, combining the informative bits of world-mechanics with a very effective visual, comedic, and plot-advancing demonstration.  I am impressed. 

Lying Foo

Quote from: Tapewolf on July 08, 2012, 12:43:22 PM
I can see Jyrras, Lorenda, Kria et all really taking that well.  He'd be left with Wildy as his only friend, if he's lucky.

Wildy?  Wildy was right there in the back room, and she's a fighter, unlike Jyrras.  She'd be the first to go after Abel and Pyroduck.

That said, we've seen Dan be reckless, but not so unforgivably reckless.  He'll probably cut a bloody swath through whoever did this, but his friends will probably get off with the mother of all cold shoulders.  Although if dear old mum ever gets around to killing Pyroduck, my guess would be Dan's not exactly going to take the bullet.

Although in light of the fact that Edward is in suspension, that does make some sense...
Itsuwari, osore, kyoshoku, urei - samazama wa negative ni torawareru hodo yowaku wa nai, kodoku mo shiranu Trickster.

MT Hazard

Quote from: Arcblade on July 08, 2012, 02:17:02 PM
I'm going to avoid putting my foot in this particular debate.  Instead, I'd like to put in my two cents on how Amber overlaid one scene (Dan's lesson) on another (Abel's birthday) in the last two comics.  This was very, very well done. 

The Dan's lesson scene, which quite informative and thus interesting to those of us who follow the world mechanics as avidly as the plot, is not exactly action-packed or particularly funny.  Amber could have easily shrugged and drawn out the conversation with different poses for Dan and his teacher.  Which would have been fine, if not riveting. 

On the other side with Abel's birthday, Amber could have easily just advanced the scene in the usual way, with the characters saying and doing things.  And we would have all been content with that, because hey, comedy and dialogue! 

Instead, she put them together, combining the informative bits of world-mechanics with a very effective visual, comedic, and plot-advancing demonstration.  I am impressed. 

I said as much (But not in so much detail) in the previous comics thread Here. Good to see that someone else thinks this is impressive.
Grammar and I Don't always get on.

Link of the moment:  Sleepless domain (web comic) 

Talis Mahn

For consideration,

1) Alexis is the daughter of an Amazon and an Adventurer
2) She scares EVERYBODY.

So why does everyone think that she'd go down easy?

Its hammer time

Bakoneko

The coloring on this comic certainly wasn't reassuring, was it? ^^;;;;;;; But I still hope Alexsi's not dead!  And one thing that actually does give me hope on this point is Abel's reaction.  If he'd actually felt Alexsi die, I would expect him to look much more stricken first, instead of going straight to blazing fury.

Obviously that's no more conclusive than anything else, but it's enough to let me cling desperately to my optimism.  (And be very, very glad that I didn't read this until tonight, and therefore don't have to wait so long for the next entry!)

CAN'T. WAIT.
~ Bakoneko >^^<

*** Is a girl ***

AmigaDragon

Quote from: e_voyager on July 08, 2012, 12:15:48 PMif Alexi doesn't survive i think dan Really would care out his threat on Abel, Pyroduck and whoever took Alexi away from him.
I was forgetting about that incentive for Abel.
"Cogito, ergo es. I think, therefore you is." Ray D. Tutto (King of the Moon) to Baron Munschaussen

e_voyager

very true and pyroduck is on the moon... i hope mab gets back with him soon.
I thank Silver Fox and Tiger_T for the wonderful Yappies.  all around the universe powers learned to hiss and curse at this, my creation but am i real or pure creation?
 I'm never where i was, rarely where i want to be, but always were i am needed.
 this world is not my own. but some how i wish that i could belong. Blame It On Boxey