1/31/2012 [TDA #21] - Sadly no...

Started by justacritic, January 31, 2012, 08:33:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

justacritic

nguard

Now the reason for the relative rarity of angels becomes clear!

Random creature/being adventurer: "Look, a brigade of seriously hacked off royal infantry is heading our way! Run awayyyy!"

Angel adventurer: "Look, a brigade of seriously hacked off royal infantry is heading our way! Huzzah, we attack!"

Gabi

I can't claim to know what most angels would do in such a situation, but what makes you think that because one angel does something crazy, all others would do the same?
~~ Gabi a.k.a. Gliynn Starseed, APF ~~
Thanks to Silver for the yappities, and to everyone for being so great!
(12:28:12) llearch: Gabi is equal-opportunity friendly

joshofspam

Eh, sounds more like their going for the cloak and dagger kind of thing.

The demon would be most likely for that scenario. While the angel would have himself set up commanding that superior force. They're both ambitious, but they tend to apply it differently from the sound of things.
I perfer my spam cooked on a skillet.

James StarRunner

What's this? slandering angels? Here's a couple of *murmermostlystableacornsmurmer* for you.

In seriousness though, look how Page turned out. He's not so bad.

VAE

Quote from: James StarRunner on February 01, 2012, 03:31:40 AM
What's this? slandering angels? Here's a couple of *murmermostlystableacornsmurmer* for you.

In seriousness though, look how Page turned out. He's not so bad.

It's not that angels are bad.. it's the 95% giving the rest of them a bad name.
What i cannot create, i do not understand. - Richard P. Feynman
This is DMFA. Where major species don't understand clothing. So innuendo is overlooked for nuendo. .
Saphroneth

Tapewolf

Quote from: joshofspam on January 31, 2012, 07:47:38 PM
Eh, sounds more like their going for the cloak and dagger kind of thing.

The demon would be most likely for that scenario. While the angel would have himself set up commanding that superior force. They're both ambitious, but they tend to apply it differently from the sound of things.

Interestingly, Zivan is behaving very atypically for an Angel at this part of the story.  Demons would do it this way, the Angel approach would be more akin to what Jakob is proposing.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

James StarRunner

Quote from: VAE on February 01, 2012, 03:33:10 AM
Do we even have enough known angels to make that kind of percentage? XP

With Page and myself, that's about a third of us known angels right there. :P

VAE

Quote from: James StarRunner on February 01, 2012, 05:18:07 AM
Quote from: VAE on February 01, 2012, 03:33:10 AM
Do we even have enough known angels to make that kind of percentage? XP

With Page and myself, that's about a third of us known angels right there. :P

's called inductive reasoning, that.  :B
What i cannot create, i do not understand. - Richard P. Feynman
This is DMFA. Where major species don't understand clothing. So innuendo is overlooked for nuendo. .
Saphroneth

joshofspam

Well seeing as Tape's comic is based of an alternative future of Amber's comic. It is fair to point out their are good demons and angels, Page and to a certain degree Kria and Lorenda.

Page's reason's seem quite up front. But Kria likes to be a demon self but also runs a lot of political stuff defending Zinvth. Lorenda being half demon kind of makes me wonder how fair it is to use her as an example but she has been noted for doing demony things but also tries to get along quite well with other people.

It's rather interesting really. Going by how Amber puts them, Page would be the first Angel to ever openly run a town. Which might partially be a reason why he had to be put into a soul Chrystal in the first place. They also sometimes try to gain things that have power in them and knowledge is considered a power, Page is a seeker of knowledge. Kind of funny how that works, huh?

Also it goes without saying just because you have the power to do something, doesn't mean you actually will.

Tapewolf

Quote from: joshofspam on February 01, 2012, 12:30:13 PM
It's rather interesting really. Going by how Amber puts them, Page would be the first Angel to ever openly run a town.

The way I understood it, Angels sometimes run towns, but they don't build them.

The angel race's entire mantra seems to focus on power. Some will choose the path of knowledge and can often be seen as the protectors of large libraries, where others may become a guardian of a village where the villagers offer them tribune for their service. There have been many cases of kindly angels but usually temptations are too strong a force and most angels cannot resist an offer of an item of great power or a scheme involving a gain of some sort.

joshofspam

Quote from: Tapewolf on February 01, 2012, 12:40:55 PM
Quote from: joshofspam on February 01, 2012, 12:30:13 PM
It's rather interesting really. Going by how Amber puts them, Page would be the first Angel to ever openly run a town.

The way I understood it, Angels sometimes run towns, but they don't build them.

The angel race's entire mantra seems to focus on power. Some will choose the path of knowledge and can often be seen as the protectors of large libraries, where others may become a guardian of a village where the villagers offer them tribune for their service. There have been many cases of kindly angels but usually temptations are too strong a force and most angels cannot resist an offer of an item of great power or a scheme involving a gain of some sort.

Yes they probably don't build their own towns.

Though from the sound of the page, they are more loaners if anything else. If one ran a town, the page made it sound like they do it more from a position as an advisor or some other method. Giving them a nice squeaky clean image while giving them enough distance to run off if things head south or possibly have a puppet king that he can manipulate from the shadows while being held in high regard by his puppet.

Good catch Tape. I kind of mistook that as Angel as singularly running a town and not a town for the entire race.

James StarRunner

And not that it's part of Tape's story... In Angel Story, the town of Lath's Stand is named after the Angel Lath who had taken her last stand there to defend the beings in that nation. Of course in that same story a yet unknown angel plotted out and succeeded with destroying the three most key cities in that country in a single night. But in many cases angels will watch over towns and such, protecting them. Granted, it's for money at times, but it's better then slaughtering the beings for it.

joshofspam

Ah, yes.

And there's also something to be said about the way a person acts differently from person to person and difference in their basic nature.

Gabi

Quote from: joshofspam on February 01, 2012, 07:00:17 PM
Ah, yes.

And there's also something to be said about the way a person acts differently from person to person and difference in their basic nature.
At last someone else has realized that! I was getting tired of seeing arguments about whether Angels would do one thing or another. I think it's rather safe to assume that, whatever the action being discussed, some Angels might do it while others would not.
~~ Gabi a.k.a. Gliynn Starseed, APF ~~
Thanks to Silver for the yappities, and to everyone for being so great!
(12:28:12) llearch: Gabi is equal-opportunity friendly

nguard

The main issue I see is that Angels tend to default to fight mode when given a fight or flight scenario.  I get the impression that on the average angels are one or two standard deviations more likely to fight (in a given scenario) than most other sentient critters in Furrae. If I am reading the background correctly, you could think of them as as analogous to sheepdogs.  Keep in mind that this is a sentient species, so the possibilities for variations of behavior within a species is considerably wider than with non-sentient critters.

Ellian

Maybe it's just me, but it looks as if Zivan is using a cassette tape recorder. In a world where, on the other hand, people still rely on bows and arrows for fighting, I wonder where he gets the batteries or such a thing.
Did anybody else notice the unicorn character in the background? Maybe it has been said before, but in case it hasn't, what I really like about Merlin's drawings is how rich they are in small details.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Ellian on February 02, 2012, 12:04:35 PM
Maybe it's just me, but it looks as if Zivan is using a cassette tape recorder. In a world where, on the other hand, people still rely on bows and arrows for fighting, I wonder where he gets the batteries or such a thing.

Yeah, I settled on a tech level corresponding to about 1985, hence the Polaroid which the monks had, and the camera which Jakob is hopefully going to have in a couple of chapters time.  This particular story is taking place about 5-7 years prior to DMFA.

ChaosMageX

Did anybody else notice the unicorn character in the background? Maybe it has been said before, but in case it hasn't, what I really like about Merlin's drawings is how rich they are in small details.

I could be wrong, but that actually looks like a Kipiru cameo to me. :)

Icon by Sunblink

Tapewolf

Oh, I meant to post this, but I wasn't sure it was quite worth putting on FA:
http://www.project-future.org/stuff/things/da21_1-66.png

ChaosMageX

Quote from: Tapewolf on February 10, 2012, 04:32:08 PM

Is that guy that Zivan is recording...a guinea pig? :eager

I ask because I used to own over 30 of them as a child, and all of them were texels.

EDIT: And from the way Zivan is behaving, I'd be inclined to believe that he's really a demon disguised as an angel.

Icon by Sunblink

Merlin

Quote from: ChaosMageX on February 10, 2012, 03:25:37 PM

I could be wrong, but that actually looks like a Kipiru cameo to me. :)

Random unicorn I drew for the very important reason of 'oh hey I kind of feel like putting a horn on this horse'

And thanks Ellian, I'm trying to work on that a lot recently, I've been a bit slack on backgrounds lately :V

Quote from: ChaosMageX on February 10, 2012, 05:34:35 PM
Quote from: Tapewolf on February 10, 2012, 04:32:08 PM

Is that guy that Zivan is recording...a guinea pig? :eager

I ask because I used to own over 30 of them as a child, and all of them were texels.

EDIT: And from the way Zivan is behaving, I'd be inclined to believe that he's really a demon disguised as an angel.

GUINEA PIGS FOREVER. Yep, that's meant to be a guinea pig :3

I never even saw a hamster until last year, but heyyyy 'owned a ridiculous number of cavies' buddy! I'm still not entirely clear on the facial differences between hamsters and guinea pigs, all I know is that hamsters are weird-looking, it's a scientific fact. Even taking into account weirdo cavy breeds like texels and abyssinians (I had short-haireds and abyssinians, so cute aah).