Know your Quotations

Started by justacritic, December 08, 2011, 10:26:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

justacritic

So how about this game? We all state a quote from some accessible source such as literature, film, etc.  (no private in jokes please). Then people will attempt to guess the identity of the quote's originator. Now after three fail attempts the poster will reveal the quote's source.
I believe I'll start

"I aten't dead" 

LionHeart

Granny Weatherwax. That's the sign she uses when she goes out "Borrowing".
"3x2(9yz)4a!"

"We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!"

I'm on deviantART.
Also FurAffinity

Darkdragon

Question to OP: If the original quote is in another language (eg. Je pense donc je suis), do we write that, the common translation (cogito ergo sum) translation, the English translation (I think, therefore I am) or some combination thereof?

justacritic

try a combination of the two, not all of us are fluent in multiple languages 

Gabi

And that would be Descartes, right? But did he make that statement in French or in Latin?

OK, another quote... Let's try to think of one that may be known by English speakers and is not from Discworld...

Ah, I know! One that made me laugh a lot when I was 5... except that I had to look up the original English version for this: "clean Elliott and eat the lamp".
~~ Gabi a.k.a. Gliynn Starseed, APF ~~
Thanks to Silver for the yappities, and to everyone for being so great!
(12:28:12) llearch: Gabi is equal-opportunity friendly

Corgatha Taldorthar

Pete's dragon, I believe. (for Gabi's quote)

"Goodbye and hello, as always."
Someday, when we look back on this, we'll both laugh nervously and change the subject. More is good. All is better.

justacritic

Quote from: LionHeart on December 08, 2011, 11:31:02 PM
Granny Weatherwax. That's the sign she uses when she goes out "Borrowing".
Correct

Gabi

Darkdragon

Quote from: Gabi on December 09, 2011, 09:29:55 PM
And that would be Descartes, right? But did he make that statement in French or in Latin?
It is, indeed Descartes; although originally he wrote his famous proclamation in French, it was translated into Latin as it traveled around Europe, it being the lingua franca at the time.

I really like quotes, but most of the literature I read tends to be aged. For the purposes of this, I will include a classical quote and a contemporary quote for everyone to ponder.

Classical: "Him the almighty hurl'd headlong flaming from th' Ethereal Skie with hideous ruine and combustion down to bottomless perdition, there to dwell in Adamantine Chains and penal Fire, who durst defie th' Omnipotent to Arms."

Contemporary: "A man cannot be too careful in the choice of his enemies."

justacritic

Quote from: Darkdragon on December 10, 2011, 11:31:25 PM

Classical: "Him the almighty hurl'd headlong flaming from th' Ethereal Skie with hideous ruine and combustion down to bottomless perdition, there to dwell in Adamantine Chains and penal Fire, who durst defie th' Omnipotent to Arms."

Contemporary: "A man cannot be too careful in the choice of his enemies."
Classical: Dante's Inferno? and it was said by Virgil?

Darkdragon

Nope. Note that the two different quotes are said by different people.

Gabi

"A man cannot be too careful in the choice of his enemies." - Oscar Wilde, who is only contemporary if you're much older than you let on. Unless you're talking about the contemporary era? O_o

New quote: "Oh. By the way. My lipstick. It's deadly."

Darkdragon

I do mean the contemporary era, my apologies for any misunderstandings. (When I say "contemporary" I mean "within the last 150 years or so")

Corgatha Taldorthar

Rules question. Does "three attempts" mean three actual guesses to a quote, or simply three posts following it? Because nobody seems to have taken a stab at mine  :<
Someday, when we look back on this, we'll both laugh nervously and change the subject. More is good. All is better.

justacritic

Quote from: Corgatha Taldorthar on December 13, 2011, 10:25:19 PM
Rules question. Does "three attempts" mean three actual guesses to a quote, or simply three posts following it? Because nobody seems to have taken a stab at mine  :<
Three actual fail guesses, as for why I haven't tried guessing yours, I'm not as literate in movies and film as other people

Darkdragon

I'm not a movies person, so I wouldn't know...

Corgatha Taldorthar

justacritic

Quote from: Corgatha Taldorthar on December 14, 2011, 09:01:42 AM
It's from a book :P
Tweedledum and Tweedledee from Alice's adventures behind the looking glass?

Darkdragon

Is it, perchance, a fantasy book written after 1950?

Corgatha Taldorthar

Yes to Darkdragon, no to Justacritic

Darkdragon

The quote sounds like Stroud. Maybe Pratchett, Zelazny or Wrede. I'm not sure.

Corgatha Taldorthar

Zelazny. He ends both Amber series with the same line. :D

MT Hazard

I'll give this a try

"In my defence that was physically impossible"
Grammar and I Don't always get on.

Link of the moment:  Sleepless domain (web comic) 

e_voyager

i'm not great with movie trivia either but i love my book collection here's an easy one. i don't know if they put it in the recent movie that they made though.

"There is an inn, a merry old inn beneath an old grey hill, And there they brew a beer so brown That the Man in the moon himself came down one night to drink his fill"
I thank Silver Fox and Tiger_T for the wonderful Yappies.  all around the universe powers learned to hiss and curse at this, my creation but am i real or pure creation?
 I'm never where i was, rarely where i want to be, but always were i am needed.
 this world is not my own. but some how i wish that i could belong. Blame It On Boxey

Corgatha Taldorthar

Quote from: e_voyager on December 15, 2011, 10:03:59 PM
i'm not great with movie trivia either but i love my book collection here's an easy one. i don't know if they put it in the recent movie that they made though.

"There is an inn, a merry old inn beneath an old grey hill, And there they brew a beer so brown That the Man in the moon himself came down one night to drink his fill"

The Ostler has a tipsy cat
that plays a five-stringed fiddle;
and up and down he runs his bow
Now squeaking high, now purring low
now sawing in the middle

It is, of course, from The Fellowship of The Ring, Chapter 9.

justacritic

This might be a tough nut to crack
"I don't like your plan. It sucks"