09/07/2011 [PF #178] Daryil of Melibone

Started by ChaosMageX, July 09, 2011, 03:30:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChaosMageX

The title is a hint to the last panel's visual reference. ;)

Man, I freaking love how Daryil can go from sweet to sinister in a heart beat.  Between him and Jakob's old persona, I can't help but wonder if that ability is inherent in all Daryil clan members.  I wouldn't be surprised, especially since they predisposition to feeding on fear. >:3

I like how little arrows were put in to ensure that the panels are followed in the right order.  Those sometimes have to be used even in comics with shading and light sources guiding the eye direction.

[Fixed typo in title - TW]

Icon by Sunblink

Chakat Blackspots

Best comic page ever.  I'd imagine Keaton (or Katherine?) feels like a big weight has been lifted off her shoulders.  Now, I wonder if Katherine will give up her evil ways and eating souls?

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Daniel Boomhauer on July 09, 2011, 05:40:34 PM
Best comic page ever.  I'd imagine Keaton (or Katherine?) feels like a big weight has been lifted off her shoulders.  Now, I wonder if Katherine will give up her evil ways and eating souls?

Well... perhaps. But, were I in her place... I'd still be waiting for the other shoe to drop.

Or, if you'd prefer it in other terms - I wouldn't believe him. If I were him... erm... let's try that in a less confusion-generating way. if Keaton were putting herself in Daryil's place, she wouldn't be telling anyone the truth, so why would she expect it from him?

Don't get me wrong - I don't think she'd expect him to lie to her face (although that's not to say she'd find it unexpected; if he did, she'd consider that par for the course); no, I'm saying she'd expect him to provide her with a finely graded lie that sounded entirely true, was true in every particular, and yet led her to totally the wrong understanding, purely because she can't see all the cards that Daryil is holding.

Does that make sense?

Of course, since Daryil can not only see all his cards, but he can also see all her cards, I'm sure he's expecting her to totally not believe he's serious about giving her a chance. And yet... even if he's not serious, you can bet the only option she has is to act as if she believes he is; after all, if she doesn't, he can obliterate her without even getting his hair out of place.
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Naldru

Another factor is that given Daryll's reputation, he might be able to come up with some very nasty ways of expressing the full weight of his displeasure.  Or as Mystique from Marvel Comics said:  "You've seen what I do to my friends.  Can you imagine what I do to my enemies".
Learn to laugh at yourself, and you will never be without a source of amusement.

joshofspam

Of course to add to that, she probably has to wonder what Daryil could think of that might be just as bad as what he promised what he wouldn't do.

The old saying, "There are worst things then death" and "You'd be surprised what you can live through" come to mind. They also add more credit to Llearch's other shoe to drop theory.

Keaton's probably remembering her own clan leader and reliving her memories of experiences of how many meanings can be said and just how terrible a tri-wing can be if crossed.
I perfer my spam cooked on a skillet.

KarlOmega1

Quote from: ChaosMageX on July 09, 2011, 03:30:34 PM
The title is a hint to the last panel's visual reference. ;)

I dunno...he looks more like Alucard (Hellsing)/ Father (FMA Brotherhood).

Edit> Almost forgot to comment. I'm pretty impressed that Daryil can look kind in a few panels, but then reveal his potental wrath in the last panel.
I'm a Skype User.
Skype Name: Karaius

llearch n'n'daCorna

Almost forgot to mention - love the way Dariyl's transforming his hair colour through the panels, and nobody gives a damn, because they're focusing on what he's saying.

It's a remarkably effective way of showing that shapeshifting is _such_ a natural, background act.

Madmann135

Daryil is one of the most interesting characters simply because he is an oddball.  He can go from nice to scary in 1.2 seconds flat.
The red eyes in the last panel only add to the scary factor.

Yes, I do post just to see my own words on the screen.

Turnsky

Quote from: Madmann135 on July 10, 2011, 10:35:00 AM
Daryil is one of the most interesting characters simply because he is an oddball.  He can go from nice to scary in 1.2 seconds flat.
The red eyes in the last panel only add to the scary factor.

Always be wary of those who are calm when they should be angry, for they are the ones you should truly fear.

Dragons, it's what's for dinner... with gravy and potatoes, YUM!
Sparta? no, you should've taken that right at albuquerque..

Ren Gaulen

Some people are capable of terrifying Unstoppable Rage. Now Daryil, he is more of a Tranquil Fury kind of a guy.

Naldru

As long as its unstoppable, its still terrifying.
Learn to laugh at yourself, and you will never be without a source of amusement.

VAE

I add to the general sentiment of liking keaton's mental patterns... this must be horribly confusing since he has no reason to deceive her as he's magnitudes more powerful.. unless it's to worsen her suffering..
I'd imagine her possibly even lashing out at him in a "stop this comedy and kill/soul devour me already" due to being unable to even conceive of him choosing something different and thinking he's trying to soften her up to make the final blow that much more emotionally nutritional.
What i cannot create, i do not understand. - Richard P. Feynman
This is DMFA. Where major species don't understand clothing. So innuendo is overlooked for nuendo. .
Saphroneth

llearch n'n'daCorna

The point is not that he has no reason to deceive her. It's that she literally cannot understand his reasoning, and that terrifies her.

With good reason...

VAE

But it's a part of the reason she can't understand his reasoning.
What i cannot create, i do not understand. - Richard P. Feynman
This is DMFA. Where major species don't understand clothing. So innuendo is overlooked for nuendo. .
Saphroneth

Tapewolf

I should point out that it takes a little while for this to play out...

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

joshofspam

Probably doesn't help matters that a cubi and definitely a twi-wing have quite a bit more options then your standard being.

When you do something to piss one off, you probably hope for the quick kill or quick soul kill then the two dozen other options that they can bring down upon you.

With so many options Dayil could deal out. Its probably likely that Dayil can completely keep his word while still making Keaton regret it and Keaton might suspect that.
I perfer my spam cooked on a skillet.

Tapewolf

I only have 2/3 of the comic so far and I have a sinking feeling that Ren's gone offline again.
Hopefully it'll be a saturday update, but we'll have to see.

Tapewolf