Bin Laden DEAD, US has Body

Started by Cvstos, May 02, 2011, 03:05:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cvstos

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/42852700/ns/world_news-south_and_central_asia/

Osama bin Laden, the Saudi extremist whose al-Qaida terrorist organization killed more than 3,000 people in attacks on the U.S. on Sept. 11, 2001, was shot and killed Sunday in a U.S. military operation in Pakistan, and the U.S. has recovered his body, President Barack Obama announced Sunday night.

About time.

This is going to open up a whole new can of political worms, in many ways, but at least he won't be masterminding any more attacks.
"The problems that exist in the world today cannot be solved by the level of thinking that created them." - Albert Einstein

"Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocrities. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence." -Albert Einstein

Sienna Maiu - M T

Unless he was only ever just a "figurehead".

His second-in-command is still out there.
   Avatar by me. Signature image made from a picture by shadows-play on dA (circa 2007-2008).      :deadhorse
my art thread

llearch n'n'daCorna

Meh. As noted elsewhere, "10 years, 2 presidents, 2 wars, 919,967 deaths, and $1,188,263,000,000 later, US managed to kill one person. Do they really celebrate such stupidity?"
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Alondro

*watches the conspiracy theory chats and blogs going crazy*  Oh boy, this'll outlast the Kennedy conspiracies.
Three's a crowd:  One lordly leonine of the Leyjon, one cruel and cunning cubi goddess, and one utterly doomed human stuck between them.

http://www.furfire.org/art/yapcharli2.gif

Kafzeil

I wouldn't celebrate quite yet. I'd prefer if we made damn well sure killing him wasn't like beheading the Hydra before we broke out the champagne and confetti.
Real men wear Hats.<br /><br />Raz: Lili! An evil madman is building a fleet of psycho-death tanks to take over the world, and we\'re the only ones who can stop him! <br />Lili Zanotto: OH MY GOD! Let\'s make out! -Psychonauts

Cogidubnus

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on May 02, 2011, 08:40:26 AM
Meh. As noted elsewhere, "10 years, 2 presidents, 2 wars, 919,967 deaths, and $1,188,263,000,000 later, US managed to kill one person. Do they really celebrate such stupidity?"

Hard to say.

When you look at those numbers, of course it wasn't worth it. And it was longer than 10 years - President Clinton was chasing this guy too. If I recall, he was responsible for the bombing of the USS Cole way back then. Even so - it's impossible to say that any one person is worth such a price.

But on the other hand, that cost isn't really indicative of the effort to kill one man, but make an remake an entire region of the world. It is not entirely fair to say that killing one man cost that entire, huge amount, just as it is not fair to say that the sum of the US's goal so far was merely to kill one man.

To answer the question, though, I can't help but feel satisfaction that we finally did get him. I assumed that he would simply disappear into the desert and never be seen again, or die in some unknown cave somewhere and never be found. With the US is lost in the midst of these wars in the middle east and having such difficult unmiring ourselves from the current economic situation, all the while watching our rivals in Asia grow ever stronger - the accomplishment of a single concrete, if entirely symbolic goal, is satisfying. No other way to put it. It doesn't really much much in a purely practical sense, and yet it does. Symbolic goals have worth. It was a hard thing to do, and we did it. It makes you think that once again, America can do anything that it puts its mind to. False comfort, probably, but comfort nontheless.

I suppose that yes, I take some measure of happiness from it - although I do wish that it had cost less. Another such victory as this, and we are undone.

Valynth

Quote from: Sienna Maiu - M T on May 02, 2011, 03:20:16 AM

He was an actual planner and organizer of the 9/11 attacks. He only became a figurehead when the U.S. started actively (though incompetently) hunting him post 9/11, forcing him to go into hiding. 

Also, we kill "the" second-in-command every day, take that as you will.
The fate of the world always rests in the hands of an idiot.  You should start treating me better.
Chant for something good and it may happen
Chant for something bad and it will happen
C.O.D.:  Chronic high speed lead poisoning  (etch that on my grave)

VAE

Quote from: Valynth on May 03, 2011, 07:33:39 AM
Quote from: Sienna Maiu - M T on May 02, 2011, 03:20:16 AM

He was an actual planner and organizer of the 9/11 attacks. He only became a figurehead when the U.S. started actively (though incompetently) hunting him post 9/11, forcing him to go into hiding. 

Also, we kill "the" second-in-command every day, take that as you will.

Agreed.
I am no fan of what USA does internationally (specially the whole Yugoslavia mess) but this made me pretty happy.
I mean, it's not only what his people did in the USA - his ideological colleagues was responsible for the casualties when the Soviets helped Karmal's government, and then proceeded to estabilish power by  . among other, welding opponents into barrels and leaving them up in the sun.
Never mind that if i remember right, he and his sort were also in contact with moslim fanatics in Southern Europe.
Only a pity he died "like a martyr" like some sources say - People like him should really be hung.
What i cannot create, i do not understand. - Richard P. Feynman
This is DMFA. Where major species don't understand clothing. So innuendo is overlooked for nuendo. .
Saphroneth

hapless

I actually heard someone pointing out an important thing - there's a fair chance the fight to become new leader of terrorists will be a "who makes the most successful attack" "competition"...
Chaosnet device not responding - check breaker on the Unibus

Valynth

Quote from: hapless on May 03, 2011, 11:02:07 AM
I actually heard someone pointing out an important thing - there's a fair chance the fight to become new leader of terrorists will be a "who makes the most successful attack" "competition"...

Either way it creates a split or fragmentation of the organization which reduces its effectiveness dramatically.
The fate of the world always rests in the hands of an idiot.  You should start treating me better.

Brunhidden

Shoot the dictator and prevent the war? But the dictator is merely the tip of the whole festering boil of social pus from which dictators emerge; shoot one, and there'll be another one along in a minute. Shoot him too? Why not shoot everyone and invade Poland?
Some will fall in love with life,
and drink it from a fountain;
that is pouring like an avalanche,
coming down the mountain.

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Brunhidden on May 07, 2011, 12:52:31 PM
Shoot the dictator and prevent the war? But the dictator is merely the tip of the whole festering boil of social pus from which dictators emerge; shoot one, and there'll be another one along in a minute. Shoot him too? Why not shoot everyone and invade Poland?

Those darn French will be all le tired, have ze nap, and zen fire all ze missiles.

And that'll just ruin your whole day.

(and Australia will still be double-yew tee eff, mate?)
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Valynth

Quote from: VAE on May 03, 2011, 08:04:53 AM
Only a pity he died "like a martyr" like some sources say - People like him should really be hung.

That would probably backfire due to the massive carnival show/media frenzy it would turn into making it a more public display of martyrdom than a quick bullet/burial/footnote martyrdom that it was (see Jesus the Chirst as an example of this "media backlash into religious icon").