Cosgrove Hall's closed its doors

Started by Darc_Sowers, October 05, 2010, 11:16:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darc_Sowers

I'm bringing this up here because Danger Mouse was a big influence. If this topic should go somewhere else, I apologize.

Anyway, Andy Fanton who does the comic 'Carrotty Kid' blogged earlier today that Cosgrove Hall, the studio that created Danger Mouse and Count Duckula went under. The sad part is, no one seemed to notice.

I feel kind of empty now. I loved DM as a kid. I guess I just always thought the studio would be around, making cartoons. Damn.

Here's Andy's post for more info - http://www.andyfanton.com/2010/10/the-sad-demise-of-cosgrove-hall/

Just... damn.  :(

llearch n'n'daCorna

Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Turnsky

oh wow, that's the end of an era right there.  :<

Dragons, it's what's for dinner... with gravy and potatoes, YUM!
Sparta? no, you should've taken that right at albuquerque..

joshofspam

I remember DM...Wait I remember DM?

Oh that's right. It was my most favorite spy cartoon. It was right up there with Inspectoer Gadget. Though I can't decide which pet was more evil Madcat or the boss toads Caterpillar thing. Wait I can't remember the characters names anymore. Noooooooo!

Though I didn't know Count Duckula was done by the same people. Catchup is not a good blood substitute.
I perfer my spam cooked on a skillet.

Talvin

I don't expect Positive Karma.  If I get it, I am probably doing something wrong.

Darc_Sowers

Quote from: joshofspam on October 06, 2010, 09:48:36 AM
Though I didn't know Count Duckula was done by the same people. Catchup is not a good blood substitute.

Yeah, they did an animated version of Soul Music and Wyrd Sisters if I remember right. *sigh* I need to find my DM and Duckula DVDs now. :(

llearch n'n'daCorna

SM wasn't bad. Could have been much worse.

Haven't seen Wyrd Sisters yet.
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Gyr

Wyrd Sisters wasn't as good as Soul Music.  But I think it was done first.  They were also going to do Reaper Man, but that never went anywhere.  Shame.
Code Name: Hunter
Adventure, Magic and Hounds with Guns.

Paladin Sheppard

Tapewolf

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Naldru

My mind may be playing tricks on me but I seem to remember a weekly animated cartoon featuring a somewhat dishonest adventurer always in search of treasure on something that seemed like Discworld.  Death always seemed to be angry because the main character didn't die on time, and did things to help him be more prompt.  (Which was something the Death in the books wouldn't do because it woudn't be proper.)  The humor seemed to be somewhat similar in tone to Danger Mouse, and I was wondering if that could have also been Cosgrove-Hall.

When the forums link on Code Name: Hunter took me here, I thought that my browser was malfunctioning at first because I had previously come here for Dan and Mab's Furry Adventures forums.

I greatly enjoy Code Name: Hunter and am saddened by the thought of the end already having been planned and plotted.
Learn to laugh at yourself, and you will never be without a source of amusement.

HEX the Dark

Quote from: Naldru on October 15, 2010, 02:18:45 PM

I greatly enjoy Code Name: Hunter and am saddened by the thought of the end already having been planned and plotted.

Me, too. Mostly because it means there is an end at all.

Talvin

The end will not come for years (of course, getting that far is dependent on sales being high enough to justify going that far! nudgenudge). 

Darcy and Matt are doing something more akin to a "Graphic Novel" than a "Comic Book", at least as I have always understood the terms.  Comic books go on and on (and sometimes, *on and on*!).  Graphic Novels are stories with a beginning, a middle, and an end.  The medium is the same, but the manner in which it is planned and executed is very different.  Neil Gaiman did not sit down and say, "OK, I am going to do something about the Sandman and keep going until he dies or something. If it goes on too long, I'll kill him anyways just so I can end it, and everybody will hate me, or maybe he'll get out of the Dream business and open a Starbucks in New Jersey or DC will fire me and give it to somebody else."  He was taking us on a journey, and he knew where that journey would end.  It's a very different type of storytelling than "Tune in next week for another amazing episode of [...]!"

Cosgrove Hall is gone, and that is indeed a sad thing.  Code Name: Hunter will end someday, but it is nothing to be sad about right now. :)
I don't expect Positive Karma.  If I get it, I am probably doing something wrong.