20/08/2010 [DMFA #1138] - She's Not Yicky...

Started by RandomMetaphysics, August 20, 2010, 06:42:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Madd the Sane

Somehow I doubt Amber's having a baby. Some people just have 'blah' moments for no reason whatsoever.
Get out of my mind, idea!  I already have an idea in here!
Don't you hate it when you have an idea, don't write it down, and forget it?

Castle Pokemetroid

Quote from: Madd the Sane on August 20, 2010, 06:17:02 PM
Somehow I doubt Amber's having a baby. Some people just have 'blah' moments for no reason whatsoever.

I'd think she'd tell us if she was.

Inumo

On to ignoring that post, and replacing it with: what would you say to Abel if you could break the fourth wall right now?

If that's not on topic enough, then, where do you think Abel will find Jyrras? My guess is in his tent in the middle of the living room.

Lego3400

Is now a bad time to mention I hate bugs? The only kind that don't creep me out are those rolly Polly ones that are like the Armadillos of the bug world.

Madd the Sane

You mean pill-bugs?

Also, does Abel's reaction seem... girly to anyone else?
Get out of my mind, idea!  I already have an idea in here!
Don't you hate it when you have an idea, don't write it down, and forget it?

Bjalf

Quote from: Inumo on August 20, 2010, 09:16:59 PM
what would you say to Abel if you could break the fourth wall right now?
Dude, you have a huuuge spider on your back!

If that's not on topic enough, then, where do you think Abel will find Jyrras? My guess is in his tent in the middle of the living room.
The tent is in the basement. But is it in the regular basement, or the top-secret laboratory basement?

Quote from: Madd the Sane on August 21, 2010, 01:39:26 AM
Also, does Abel's reaction seem... girly to anyone else?
Naah, it's probably just the skirt.   :giggle

Anker Steadfast

Quote from: Bjalf on August 21, 2010, 02:21:06 AM
Quote from: Inumo on August 20, 2010, 09:16:59 PMwhat would you say to Abel if you could break the fourth wall right now?
Dude, you have a huuuge spider on your back!

I'd totally put a dancing catarpillar on his back.
And it would be all like ... "STOP! Hammer time !"

Quote from: Bjalf on August 20, 2010, 11:42:20 AM
Quote from: Anker Steadfast on August 20, 2010, 10:40:43 AMSeriously though, women have some strange hormone cycles that sometimes gets the best of them.
I don't think hormonal craziness is just a female thing. A fourteen-year-old male brain is the single most one-track thing in the universe. And then there's that whole I'm 50 years old, gotta buy a Porsche thing.

Aw, but Porches are fun. :)

Seriously, after 30-40 years on the jobmarket, raising several kids and all that, I'd want a little fun stuff in my life too.
Besides, the wifes of men that buy Porches are probably the lucky ones, because the ones that don't buy Porches usually has a mistress.

GAH - I have been lured into fiddling with forum tamagotchies.

Alteisentier

On to ignoring that post, and replacing it with: what would you say to Abel if you could break the fourth wall right now?

I'd probably start by smacking that blubbering pussy a few times with my ALL MIGHTY BACKHAND OF JUSTICE, then make him go hug the bug and say sorry for being so rude.

God. What a pussy.
*WARNING: MAY BE BRUTALLY HONEST TO THE POINT OF INSULTING YOUR FACE; MOTHER; AND POSSIBLY YOUR DOG. PLEASE SEE YOUR DOCTOR BEFORE FURTHER DOSES IF REDUCED TO A BLUBBERING PILE OF TEARS*

Bjalf

Alteisentier

*WARNING: MAY BE BRUTALLY HONEST TO THE POINT OF INSULTING YOUR FACE; MOTHER; AND POSSIBLY YOUR DOG. PLEASE SEE YOUR DOCTOR BEFORE FURTHER DOSES IF REDUCED TO A BLUBBERING PILE OF TEARS*

Scow2

I don't think Chicki's quite as attractive as we've been led to believe... We see her through both Amber's highly stylized filter over the comic world and the generic cuteness inherent in the Anime/Animesque genre. (She makes even creatures of rotting flesh and exposed bone look attractive!)

To be fair to Abel, he's been looking at an OVERSIZED FLYING ANT that likely sounds like a swarm of cicada when speaking... I'd be freaked out too! She's likely more the stuff of Nightmares, or at least (as demonstrated by Abel) Nausea-inducing to mammals.

D'ymkarra

IIRC, the last we saw Jyrras, he was holding a rather large knife (couldn't find the link!)...Methinks that when Abel does find Jy, either hilarity or pointy will ensue.

To Amber: We all need to vent/ cry/ rage once in a while, even when there's no reason for it. I hope you're feeling better soon, and never apologize for taking time to look after yourself *hugs*  :mowcookie
'It'd be such an honour, to be personally smacked upside the head by the artist herself' - Bjalf

VAE

Quote from: Scow2 on August 21, 2010, 09:25:50 AM
I don't think Chicki's quite as attractive as we've been led to believe... We see her through both Amber's highly stylized filter over the comic world and the generic cuteness inherent in the Anime/Animesque genre. (She makes even creatures of rotting flesh and exposed bone look attractive!)

To be fair to Abel, he's been looking at an OVERSIZED FLYING ANT that likely sounds like a swarm of cicada when speaking... I'd be freaked out too! She's likely more the stuff of Nightmares, or at least (as demonstrated by Abel) Nausea-inducing to mammals.
Well, i guess neither would be horses, poodles and other stuffs .. not to mention the undead in question seemed good enough for Dan (though that's a poor indicator) .... the problem with these is that they are fictional , and mostly done by one person so is hard to say what of the pics represents their true appearance and what is just what the style does to them.
What i cannot create, i do not understand. - Richard P. Feynman
This is DMFA. Where major species don't understand clothing. So innuendo is overlooked for nuendo. .
Saphroneth

Unsilenced

Fun science fact: If they did make bugs that big, they would very quickly die, either from asphyxiation, oxygen deprivation, or simple trauma brought on by being crushed under their own weight.

I'm not sure which would happen first, though presumably the fact that their heart didn't work would kill them sooner then the fact that they couldn't breathe.

Another fun fact: 99.99999%* misuse the word "bug." Example: Lady bugs are not bugs. They are beetles. Pill bugs are also not bugs. They are not even insects. They are isopods.

Remember: Bugs suck, beetles chew.

*Statistic made up
Post of the Dead:
"When there is no more room in hell, this thread will walk the earth"

VAE

hmm...  i am unsure what is the limit since during certain geological periods there were insects that were about third as big moving about.
There definitely are problems with scaling something with this structure, but even if she has gone beyond the physical limits, it hasn't been so far as to be obviously silly.
Not to mention... real insects don't have access to fire and earth magic either....
This is DMFA. Where major species don't understand clothing. So innuendo is overlooked for nuendo. .
Saphroneth

Bjalf

Quote from: danman on August 22, 2010, 06:00:56 AM
hmm...  i am unsure what is the limit since during certain geological periods there were insects that were about third as big moving about.
There was more oxygen in the air then.

There definitely are problems with scaling something with this structure, but even if she has gone beyond the physical limits, it hasn't been so far as to be obviously silly.
Well, Chicki doesn't have an ant body. But scaling up a regular ant like in a B-movie, that would be (and is!) silly.

Not to mention... real insects don't have access to fire and earth magic either....
Hey, there are fire ants!   :B

VAE

Quote from: Bjalf on August 22, 2010, 06:25:21 AM
Quote from: danman on August 22, 2010, 06:00:56 AM
hmm...  i am unsure what is the limit since during certain geological periods there were insects that were about third as big moving about.
There was more oxygen in the air then.
Oxygen isn't the only problem, besides, noone ever talked about the botanics of furrae - there's plausible deniability... although since the insectis do live underground.... maybe she has some basic closed circulatory system - after all it is an hyper-evolved intelligent insect we are talking about.

Well, Chicki doesn't have an ant body. But scaling up a regular ant like in a B-movie, that would be (and is!) silly.
Of course. Sometimes i guess the B in the movies stands for "Blbost!" (our word which meas something like stupid nonsense)

Hey, there are fire ants!   :B

Hey there are fire ants!
Hey they be in yer pants!
Now ya do antsy dance!
:D
Saphroneth

Keleth

I love fantasy comics.

As it means the regular world's laws and physics don't have to work like we know they do.

Why?

It's FICTION  :U
Help! I'm gay!

Turnsky

Quote from: Drathorin on August 22, 2010, 11:53:53 AM
I love fantasy comics.

As it means the regular world's laws and physics don't have to work like we know they do.

Why?

It's FICTION  :U

sssshhh, don't tell them that, otherwise they'll spend all their money on therapy after having their world view shattered instead of Amber!  :U

(you know, like those folks who got sad because avatar wasn't real..)

Dragons, it's what's for dinner... with gravy and potatoes, YUM!
Sparta? no, you should've taken that right at albuquerque..

Grey Wolf

I just figure that the insectis are either built differently than our insects, or they stay alive by virtue of magic.
Warning: This forum goer is prone to bouts of logic, and has a dry sense of humor.

VAE

Quote from: Drathorin on August 22, 2010, 11:53:53 AM
I love fantasy comics.

Why?

It's FICTION  :U

But they might....
Objects still fall on floor, blades are effective at cutting materials due to high local pressure,  electricity seems to have similar effects....
n any case, a mark of any good fiction is to make stuff believable and consistent as opposed to arbitrary.... the easiest way is to use physics copied from our universe where you can
Saphroneth

Anker Steadfast

Magic is indeed a possibility as to why they get such big bugs in Furrae.
Just because we don't have any Magic here on earth, doesn't mean it doesn't exist in Furrae.
And while the laws of physics are not completely done away with they can probably be .. suspended a bit, here and there.

Also, she could be an Anthropod, which also have exoskeletons, but are different on the inside.
Like this one, the Coconut Crab :

Pretty neat, innit ? :)

Bjalf

Quote from: Anker Steadfast on August 22, 2010, 12:29:50 PM

And on today's episode of "How to be a Real Macho Man" we talk about STD's.

Anyways, it's really an Arthropod.

Anker Steadfast

Quote from: Bjalf on August 22, 2010, 12:37:57 PM

And on today's episode of "How to be a Real Macho Man" we talk about STD's.

Anyways, it's really an Arthropod.

Dang, you are right, it's an arthropod, not an anthropod.
Arthropod = exoskeleton animal
Anthropod = greek word for human foot.

My bad, I mispelled it.
Sorry. 

:U

Where did you get the STD bit from though ? I'm confused!

Bjalf

Quote from: Anker Steadfast on August 22, 2010, 12:48:35 PM
Where did you get the STD bit from though ? I'm confused!

Ordinary men get crabs. Real Men get Coconut Crabs!

Anker Steadfast

Quote from: Bjalf on August 22, 2010, 12:53:25 PM
Quote from: Anker Steadfast on August 22, 2010, 12:48:35 PMWhere did you get the STD bit from though ? I'm confused!

Ahhhh .... now I get it.
Being non-english I didn't think of that to begin with.
It also brings a whole new level to the "Honey, could you take out the garbage ?"

"Aaah, ahh ... it fights back!"

Unsilenced

Magic is indeed a possibility as to why they get such big bugs in Furrae.
Just because we don't have any Magic here on earth, doesn't mean it doesn't exist in Furrae.
And while the laws of physics are not completely done away with they can probably be .. suspended a bit, here and there.

Also, she could be an Anthropod, which also have exoskeletons, but are different on the inside.

Insects = arthropods.

Arthropoda divides into...
--Arachnids
--Chiopoda
--Crustacea
--Diplopoda
--Insecta
And a bunch of obscure ones I can't even remember

Crabs are crustacea.

PS. Don't even bother correcting my spelling, I know I did it wrong.

PSS. Regarding realism: Yeah, I'm one of those annoying people. "But physics don't *WORK* that way!"
Post of the Dead:

LionHeart

Quote from: Anker Steadfast on August 22, 2010, 12:58:35 PM
Quote from: Bjalf on August 22, 2010, 12:53:25 PM
Quote from: Anker Steadfast on August 22, 2010, 12:48:35 PMWhere did you get the STD bit from though ? I'm confused!

Ahhhh .... now I get it.
Being non-english I didn't think of that to begin with.
It also brings a whole new level to the "Honey, could you take out the garbage ?"

"Aaah, ahh ... it fights back!"

Just train the crab to take it out for you.

Problem solved.  :P
"3x2(9yz)4a!"

"We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!"

I'm on deviantART.
Also FurAffinity

Anker Steadfast

Quote from: Unsilenced on August 22, 2010, 03:37:26 PMInsects = arthropods.

Insects are indeed Arthropods, but Arthropods aren't all insects.
Just like a garden tractor is a tractor, it's tractors aren't all garden tractors.
Insects is a subspecies, and they do have some serious scaling issues in the real world.

That was sorta what I was aiming for.
That she could be bigger than normal insects because technically arthropods can vary a lot more then just the insect species.
Hence why I showed the image of a big Coconut Crab scavenging somebody's garbage can.

In other words, Chicki isn't a garden tractor.
That totally makes sense, right ?  :)

Quote from: Unsilenced on August 22, 2010, 03:37:26 PMPSS. Regarding realism: Yeah, I'm one of those annoying people. "But physics don't *WORK* that way!" 

Fantasy physics does.

Also, physics of today works a whole lot differently than physics did in the 1700's.
I remember reading an old medieval article regarding how large machinery could get, and they set some rather strict limits on it with the argument that any bigger and the rivets would break or fall out of the metal. I believe they considered about 30 meter tall as the limit.

Then someone invented welding, and now we have cranes that are a LOT bigger then puny 30 meters.

So .. back then, they'd say "physics don't work that way", yet sure enough, we already crossed those limits.
So, today we say "but physics don't work that way" ... and sometime, in a few years, we'll break those limits too.

It's fun. :D

Unsilenced

Quote from: Anker Steadfast on August 22, 2010, 04:12:41 PM
Quote from: Unsilenced on August 22, 2010, 03:37:26 PMInsects = arthropods.

Insects are indeed Arthropods, but Arthropods aren't all insects.
Just like a garden tractor is a tractor, it's tractors aren't all garden tractors.
Insects is a subspecies, and they do have some serious scaling issues in the real world.

That was sorta what I was aiming for.
That she could be bigger than normal insects because technically arthropods can vary a lot more then just the insect species.
Hence why I showed the image of a big Coconut Crab scavenging somebody's garbage can.

In other words, Chicki isn't a garden tractor.
That totally makes sense, right ?  :)

Quote from: Unsilenced on August 22, 2010, 03:37:26 PMPSS. Regarding realism: Yeah, I'm one of those annoying people. "But physics don't *WORK* that way!"  

Fantasy physics does.

Also, physics of today works a whole lot differently than physics did in the 1700's.
I remember reading an old medieval article regarding how large machinery could get, and they set some rather strict limits on it with the argument that any bigger and the rivets would break or fall out of the metal. I believe they considered about 30 meter tall as the limit.

Then someone invented welding, and now we have cranes that are a LOT bigger then puny 30 meters.

So .. back then, they'd say "physics don't work that way", yet sure enough, we already crossed those limits.
So, today we say "but physics don't work that way" ... and sometime, in a few years, we'll break those limits too.

It's fun. :D

I know that insect is a subdivision of arthropoda, hence my post. It just sounded from your post like you were saying that insects weren't arthropods, when if fact insects make up a great deal of arthropods (I *think* they might be the biggest portion of arthropods, but don't quote me on it)

As for adapting physics: eh. I don't think there'll ever be a way that an open circulatory system works on something human sized. Nor will there be, for that matter, a way in which a chitin and calcium exoskeleton will work at that size under normal earth gravity. Perhaps some future high-tech material will work, but then it wouldn't be organic, and so the whole thing is moot.

EDIT: Guess we're waiting on evolution to produce carbon fiber. Then we can start having some crazy-*** bugs.
Post of the Dead: