08/13/2010 [PF #131] - Shortest whodunnit ever

Started by Sofox, August 13, 2010, 09:35:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sofox

I love the intrinsic hilarity of the recent strips.

"You killed me!"
"You seem to be alive to me."
"I'm in a robotic panther body!"
"But you're still breathing... no wait, let me rephrase that..."

llearch n'n'daCorna

Yeah, there's a certain amount of ironic interaction, there. ;-]
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Raskahn

Panel 9, funny as it is, makes me wonder. How does one point with a feral paw? Ren found a way, and it worked out.

That is just one of the things I like about reading PF, seeing what he will come up with next.  :)

Madmann135

I find it funny how Jakob/Kristofer and Joshua have nearly the same expression while Page is looking like nothing's happened. 
Still a nice progression from calm to shock in this order Page, R-Mac and Dorcan are about the same, Niall, Kristofer/Jakob, Joshua and the most shocked Wils.

Yes, I do post just to see my own words on the screen.

Chakat Blackspots

I think he might be wrong that Nialli did it, he doesn't look anything like the Wolf who killed him.

Or... maybe Nialli did do it, considering this

Sind

Sofox

Quote from: Daniel Boomhauer on August 14, 2010, 03:06:23 PM
I think he might be wrong that Nialli did it, he doesn't look anything like the Wolf who killed him.
:shapeshifters

Chakat Blackspots

Quote from: Sofox on August 14, 2010, 06:11:08 PM
Quote from: Daniel Boomhauer on August 14, 2010, 03:06:23 PM
:shapeshifters

LOL, yeah.  I was thinking about that after I posted that, hence the edit.

Sofox

Kinda hard to know what was edited.
What I tend to do is if I add extra text to a post, I perpend it with an "EDIT: "

Chakat Blackspots

Quote from: Sofox on August 15, 2010, 06:03:45 PM
Kinda hard to know what was edited.
What I tend to do is if I add extra text to a post, I perpend it with an "EDIT: "

I sometimes do that. (and that's Prepend)

Tapewolf

I'm not sure we'll be able to update tonight, but I'll try.  It all depends when Ren finishes the line-art.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Keleth

It's all right.

We won't froth at the mouth if it's a little late.

Sometimes it takes just a extra bit of time to get lines just right.
Help! I'm gay!

Tapewolf

Gabi

So... we won't froth at the mouth but you will?
~~ Gabi a.k.a. Gliynn Starseed, APF ~~
Thanks to Silver for the yappities, and to everyone for being so great!
(12:28:12) llearch: Gabi is equal-opportunity friendly

Keleth

But that post talks about the artist....

Wait, you do do the drawing yes?
Help! I'm gay!

Tapewolf

Quote from: Drathorin on August 20, 2010, 05:33:58 PM

Since you ask, I turn this:
http://www.project-future.org/stuff/things/Project%20Future%20Page%20130-original.png

Into this:
http://www.project-future.org/strips/comic/strip130.png

...which takes about 6-10 solid hours each page, depending on complexity and how much of the lineart has to be touched up - if Ren was in a hurry, this can take quite a while time.  I also design the basic layout, spend several hours a day organising the thing and typeset it when it's ready.
I can't honestly say how many hours Ren spends on the lines, but since the last half of the process is my responsibility I have a good sense of how late it gets, and - rightly or wrongly - I do suffer from the syndrome mentioned in that post.

Keleth

I'm just curious, as I've seen Ren's lineart on his newer pieces and the inked lines look very very different from the ones that appear in the strip.

Wasn't sure if he does pencils then you ink over, or what.

But at least now I know why The comic felt kinda disjointed.

I didn't realize he only drew certain parts instead of the whole thing.

Edit: Forgot to add this thought before hitting post. Fingers got ahead of the thought process.

One reason why I find for something like a comic is that it's generally better not to worry too much about the deadline. I assume you're like most people and like quality.

You know when putting together audio or even the quality of the hardware or storage devices, if one part of the finished product is rushed and only half assed, a brand new tape can snap, or just come out sounding like poo.

Part of the art of putting together something is to know how much to focus on details, and how much to push it out the door.
Help! I'm gay!

Turnsky

Quote from: Gabi on August 20, 2010, 03:10:12 PM
So... we won't froth at the mouth but you will?

yes, drath froths almost daily now.. there is no cure for it... and we may have to put him down.

Dragons, it's what's for dinner... with gravy and potatoes, YUM!
Sparta? no, you should've taken that right at albuquerque..

Tapewolf

Quote from: Drathorin on August 20, 2010, 07:48:17 PM
I'm just curious, as I've seen Ren's lineart on his newer pieces and the inked lines look very very different from the ones that appear in the strip.

Wasn't sure if he does pencils then you ink over, or what.

He inks them with a ballpoint and sends me 1-bit scans.  It might be interesting to see what happens if he sends me grey levels instead, we'll have to try it sometime.

What Ren has taken to doing recently for his FA uploads is using a different colouring technique, where he does the thing in pencil only.  He scans it greyscale, converts the white parts to alpha levels and then paints the color on a layer underneath.  This gives an interesting look, because all the rough pencil parts are left behind.  It's also quicker than inking the pencil, but it's not the sort of look I wanted for the comic.

That said, I did use the technique in-comic once when the guest art failed to materialise (though I sill hold out hope it will someday):
http://www.project-future.org/stuff/things/pf107_4.png   (I hate that table.  Perspective is my enemy.)

The idea in that case was to try and make the flashback look different to the rest of the strip, and this time I went for a slightly ragged, sketchy look.  Usually we try to use a guest artist, but as I say, it didn't pan out.  Kind of fell flat when it was shrunk down though, it looked too similar to the others.  

Usually it would look more like this:
http://www.project-future.org/stuff/things/pf106_3.png

QuotePart of the art of putting together something is to know how much to focus on details, and how much to push it out the door.
Yes.  In this case I'm a bit annoyed because it's fallen on a cliffhanger ending.  Also, the last couple of updates were on time because Ren drew them in bulk at the Village because he had nothing else to do ;-)

EDIT:
I do now have the full lineart for this page, it should be up later today.

Tapewolf

Alteisentier

Quote from: Tapewolf on August 20, 2010, 06:49:46 PM

http://www.project-future.org/stuff/things/Project%20Future%20Page%20130-original.png

Into this:

...which takes about 6-10 solid hours each page, depending on complexity and how much of the lineart has to be touched up - if Ren was in a hurry, this can take quite a while time.  I also design the basic layout, spend several hours a day organising the thing and typeset it when it's ready.
I can't honestly say how many hours Ren spends on the lines, but since the last half of the process is my responsibility I have a good sense of how late it gets, and - rightly or wrongly - I do suffer from the syndrome mentioned in that post.

How on earth does it take you 6-10 hours to turn Rens artwork into something windows 3.1 could be ashamed of, where do you find the time to eat, poop or sleep?
*WARNING: MAY BE BRUTALLY HONEST TO THE POINT OF INSULTING YOUR FACE; MOTHER; AND POSSIBLY YOUR DOG. PLEASE SEE YOUR DOCTOR BEFORE FURTHER DOSES IF REDUCED TO A BLUBBERING PILE OF TEARS*

VAE

Quote from: Alteisentier on August 21, 2010, 07:39:58 PM

Into this:

How on earth does it take you 6-10 hours to turn Rens artwork into something windows 3.1 could be ashamed of, where do you find the time to eat, poop or sleep?

The coloring looks good, and very un-win3.1 like.
It can take a lot of time if the lines are disjoint as the gaps need to be filled in by hand.
Not to mention colouring n panels with m items takes much more time than just one picture, however detailed
I wonder if you are such an expert to show something yourself.
What i cannot create, i do not understand. - Richard P. Feynman
This is DMFA. Where major species don't understand clothing. So innuendo is overlooked for nuendo. .
Saphroneth

Alteisentier

Quote from: danman on August 21, 2010, 07:54:52 PM

Into this:

It can take a lot of time if the lines are disjoint as the gaps need to be filled in by hand.
Not to mention colouring n panels with m items takes much more time than just one picture, however detailed

Hahahahahahahaha.

lets see. Hm. Over five years experience in traditional art, digital art, and design. Two years in collage as a digital and traditional art student. And more knowledge than you can obviously comprehend. Sure. Go look at my art thread if you want to see.
*WARNING: MAY BE BRUTALLY HONEST TO THE POINT OF INSULTING YOUR FACE; MOTHER; AND POSSIBLY YOUR DOG. PLEASE SEE YOUR DOCTOR BEFORE FURTHER DOSES IF REDUCED TO A BLUBBERING PILE OF TEARS*

VAE

Quote from: Alteisentier on August 21, 2010, 08:12:13 PM
Quote from: danman on August 21, 2010, 07:54:52 PM

Into this:

...which takes about 6-10 solid hours each page, depending on complexity and how much of the lineart has to be touched up - if Ren was in a hurry, this can take quite a while time.  I also design the basic layout, spend several hours a day organising the thing and typeset it when it's ready.

Hahahahahahahaha.

lets see. Hm. Over five years experience in traditional art, digital art, and design. Two years in collage as a digital and traditional art student. And more knowledge than you can obviously comprehend. Sure. Go look at my art thread if you want to see.

That's it then!
Tape. like me has nothing to do with such things - he is a software engineer.
I am sure he can draw better than you can code.....

EDIT: I saw your thread before and liked the zergling... however all of the stuff is just lineart - does not say anythign about colouring which is what we were speaking about
This is DMFA. Where major species don't understand clothing. So innuendo is overlooked for nuendo. .
Saphroneth

Inumo

Altei seems to be in a troll-y mood... Dunno him well enough to tell if that's just how he is or not, though. Anyone able to clarify this for me?

Alteisentier

No no, he's just pretty terrible at this regardless, i really want to know how he can take something at such a gigantic resolution, nearly professional art resolutions, and manage to make it look as awful and jagged as that. It's truly impressive. I'm just boggled how the comic has gone on so long and it's never been fixed, improved. or even worked on.

Quote from: Inumo on August 21, 2010, 08:20:08 PM
Altei seems to be in a troll-y mood... Dunno him well enough to tell if that's just how he is or not, though. Anyone able to clarify this for me?

There's a Llearch certified disclaimer in my signature.

VAE

Heh... back home we say that he has awaken arse-up.
as far as i am concerned  PF looks fine , not to mention the content is good.
Order of the stick has worse graphics, and people read it
Saphroneth

Keleth

I know him, and he's actually truly boggled (along with several other people) about how the whole end result turns up.

It's only just being talked about now since I was talking to tape about it.

Like, There are people that have their main job as something like a call center agent. Yet they can draw masterpieces. It's not solely about what 'job' you have that enables ability.

But yeah, I do wonder what the comic would look like if Ren did all the art and tape supplied him with scripts.
Help! I'm gay!

Inumo

Quote from: Alteisentier on August 21, 2010, 08:20:24 PM

There's a Llearch certified disclaimer in my signature.

There's a rather bold line between brutal honesty and trolling. Brutal honesty is saying, "This comic looks ugly." Trolling is saying, "This comic looks ugly. How could you do something this awful? Why does it take you 6-10 hours to do something so horrendous? How could you @%&! up the line art so much that it still looks this bad?" If you weren't intending to be insulting, you'd stop at your first post, and not even bring it up over in Tapewolf's art thread, especially considering that it's irrelevant over there... I'm gonna stop before I get into a flame war...

Amber Williams

Quote from: Drathorin on August 21, 2010, 08:30:25 PM
But yeah, I do wonder what the comic would look like if Ren did all the art and tape supplied him with scripts.

I gather it would look like it was only updating once every two months due to Ren being a slow-face. *badump-ch* :U

I keed! I KEED!