"Mobile devices" + forum compatiblity.

Started by RobbieThe1st, June 02, 2010, 07:03:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RobbieThe1st

If I recall correctly, I have heard several of you talk about using "mobile devices"(ipod touch, iphone, etc) for accessing these forums.
If you use a "mobile device" for accessing these(and other) forums, post what you use and if it works or not.

Personally, I got myself a Nokia N770, and have started to browse these forums using it - I have to give Llearch credit: This forum scales nicely on its 800X480 screen.
I haven't logged in yet using it, but just browsing works fine on both its Opera-based browser, and its Mozilla based one.

What are your experiences?

Pasteris.ttf <- Pasteris is the font used for text in DMFA.

RJ

I work at a phone shop now so I've used some of the demo phones to look through forums. They can look a little cluttered at times, but on most high-end phones they're fine. :)

Tapewolf

Quote from: RobbieThe1st on June 02, 2010, 07:03:00 AM
If I recall correctly, I have heard several of you talk about using "mobile devices"(ipod touch, iphone, etc) for accessing these forums.
If you use a "mobile device" for accessing these(and other) forums, post what you use and if it works or not.

Occasionally I'll use an HTC G1.  It works well enough, but it can be a little annoying as the screen is 480x320 so I have to zoom out.
Also I can't type on it as quickly as on a full-size keyboard.  But it makes a great way to check the forum etc. on the train or something.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

llearch n'n'daCorna

I'd check the forum on the train, but I'm usually underground, so it's a little bit tricky...
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

techmaster-glitch

Just once in ahwile, I've used my mom's BlackBerry to check for new posts in threads I'm interested in.

For that purpose, it works... but it doesn't seem like it can do anything else. The forum appears as a totally plain white background, with plain bare links to each board and thread, and nothing else. None of the "buttons" (image-links at the top of the forum and bottom of every thread) don't show up, but I think it's because the BlackBerry doesn't seem capable of rendering the forum's graphics, for whatever reason.

It's not a problem though, as said, I only use it just to check for new posts. Not sure if this information is useful for anything...

Tezkat

I sometimes catch up on forum threads here on my HTC Touch. It's a small 240x320 screen, but I've been hesitant to upgrade because the phone's been grandfathered into an unmetered data plan. :animesweat Quite useable regardless unless somebody goes nuts with the images.
The same thing we do every night, Pinky...

Mao

I've used a few mobile devices to access the forum, but primarily my BlackBerry Curve (8300 series) and found it as was already described and my PSP (which was quite tolerable, if slow).

eryogigasee

I have used an HTC Touch2, Orbit 2 and a Glofiish X800.  It seems to work perfectly in mobile opera, regardless of phone, though the Orbits higher resolution helps.  Just a shame it died.

I've logged in on the Touch2, typed a message and had my session expire just before hitting post.  So that bit works.

The Glofiish was incredibly slow, though 64mb of ram was responsible for that.

Liatai

I use a BlackBerry Pearl 8230 phone to check posts sometimes, but my experience is similar to Techmaster's. Bare text on a white background, with very rudimentary links leading forward and backward in the thread. I can't log in or post, and links and smileys tend to not show up, but I can read it okay.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Eryo Gigasee on June 03, 2010, 02:54:10 PM
The Glofiish was incredibly slow, though 64mb of ram was responsible for that.

No, it was just incredibly slow ;-)

Windows Mobile has an architectural limit of 32MB per application (in practice we seem to get only 16MB!) and as far as I'm aware it never caches anything, so throwing more memory at it wouldn't help.
As WM phones go, the Acer S200 is nice, though.  It has a snapdragon processor and is extremely fast.

EDIT:

...somehow the Glofiish always ended up on the display stand, no-one would ever use it for development or demos...

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E