Well, I just killed my Model M.

Started by superluser, May 30, 2010, 04:29:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

superluser

That's right.  The sturdiest keyboard made by IBM, and I destroyed it with a little water.  (Note to editors: fifty words, two paragraphs, one blockquote and two lines of subheadings does not equal ``approximately the same length.''  And please do not suggest that it is when your layout designer has an open bottle of water in his hand.)

I'm not sure I want to go the Unicomp route again, given my propensity for destroying the things.  Does anyone have suggestions for keyboards that might be sturdier than the Model M?

Also, does anyone know why the apostrophe doesn't work in matchbox-keyboard?  I see it under the commercial a symbol when I use shift, but pressing it gives me ".

Would you like a googolplex (gzipped 57 times)?

Tapewolf

I've destroyed the chassis by pounding it in frustration.  That was sad.  However, water shouldn't be able to do that.  Any idea what happened?  Are you sure it's not going to recover when it dries out?  Have you tried dismantling it?

I believe I have a spare logic board for one if you're going to be at AC...

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

superluser

Quote from: Tapewolf on May 30, 2010, 06:20:20 AMI've destroyed the chassis by pounding it in frustration.  That was sad.  However, water shouldn't be able to do that.  Any idea what happened?  Are you sure it's not going to recover when it dries out?  Have you tried dismantling it?

I tried putting it through the drying cycle of my dishwasher, but nothing doing.  I can't open my keyboard, since it has a recessed hex nut and I don't have a socket narrow enough to fit in the hole.

Edit: xvkbd has functioning apostrophes.

Drayco84

Exactly what it says on the tin. Notice that I linked to a review page as I'm kinda in a rush and can't track down the original source.

hapless

There's also this box that projects a keyboard on any flat surface using a laser... link and link. The rubber one's cheaper, tho. :P
Chaosnet device not responding - check breaker on the Unibus

Tapewolf

If he was using a model M, he probably wants something with good key action.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

superluser

Quote from: Tapewolf on May 30, 2010, 03:01:55 PMIf he was using a model M, he probably wants something with good key action.

Not that the laser keyboard isn't tempting, since I would have a hard time breaking a desk, but I'm not paying $150 for a keyboard with serious ghosting issues.  The rollable keyboard would drive me batty.

On the other hand, I did find an Instructables tutorial for turning an IBM Model A into a keyboard.  I also found a local person selling some Selectrics, so I might actually be able to make my dream keyboard.  Now, granted, they seem to be advising that you remove the original keyboard action and replace it with modern switches, but so long as I can get an idea of thhe circuit I need to build, I should be OK.