24/05/2010 [AS2#103] - Uh.....

Started by llearch n'n'daCorna, May 24, 2010, 12:15:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VAE

Quote from: SoWhatIfImFurry on May 24, 2010, 05:10:22 PM
Did she just pierced her finger THROUGH HIS ****ING JAW!?
Ok, now I'm hoping that she dies sometime in the main comic. I honestly wouldn't lose any sleep over it if something like that were to happen to her... :mowignore
Not his jaw, the part below the bone and the lower mouth (under tongue) i guess, which is why he was at risk of choking...
I don't think it was *that* evil of her... especially with abel pretty much asking for injury....

Quote from: Prof B Hunnydew on May 24, 2010, 05:14:39 PM
OMG This event should be enough to force Fa'lina to send Destania away.  Fa'lina can't let this thing go on without some kind of punishment...  If this forces Abel to do something, great, it just may do that, and Fa'lina will not say why or how long Destania would gone for to anyone.  Abel will go on guessing when she will return, but it will set him to get training, now.  And not wait until his father's next SAIA visit is almost upon him.(under a 100 years).  
or
Fa'lina will ask her to train Abel, which I don't think with happen.  Yes, I know Dee said that she trained Abel to Alexsi, but to cubi this is little spat, maybe a lesson. And she could have been do this to Abel off and on, with increasing violence next time.

PBH

Again... why exactly? He wasn't killed or harmed permanently, and with Fa'lina herself breaking aniz's mouth, i think she will be understanding of the need to get physical with explanations sometimes.
Especially since 1) Creatures generally go with the rule of the stronger, so this is not a rare occurence i guess and 2) Abel does not have a clan leader who would raise a fuss about his spawn being mistreated
What i cannot create, i do not understand. - Richard P. Feynman
This is DMFA. Where major species don't understand clothing. So innuendo is overlooked for nuendo. .
Saphroneth

Tapewolf

Quote from: RandomMetaphysics on May 24, 2010, 01:21:12 PM
Now I see why Abel isn't a fan of Dan's mom :erk

It's probably warped his view of the whole race.

QuoteThere is no word nor prhase to describe the look on my face. Horrified doesn't even come close.
I just shut the tab.  I'd just eaten, and this is the first time DMFA has ever made me feel nauseous.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

VAE

Quote from: Tapewolf on May 24, 2010, 05:26:50 PM

QuoteThere is no word nor prhase to describe the look on my face. Horrified doesn't even come close.
I just shut the tab.  I'd just eaten, and this is the first time DMFA has ever made me feel nauseous.

Didn't Johan Cross have a room decorated with ears of his opponents or something like that?
This is DMFA. Where major species don't understand clothing. So innuendo is overlooked for nuendo. .
Saphroneth

Caswin

At the risk of sounding rude, not to mention the fact that I'll admit I'm extrapolating about exactly what's happening on the page from forum comments on account of not having seen it for myself...

The woman teaches torture.  Professionally.  And I'm pretty sure she uses live subjects.  Why are any of us shocked, surprised, and/or set against her more than we already were by this?
Quote from: DamarisThis is the most freaking civil "flame war" I have ever seen in my life.
Yap yap.

VAE

Quote from: Caswin on May 24, 2010, 05:39:14 PM
At the risk of sounding rude, not to mention the fact that I'll admit I'm extrapolating about exactly what's happening on the page from forum comments on account of not having seen it for myself...

The woman teaches torture.  Professionally.  And I'm pretty sure she uses live subjects.  Why are any of us shocked, surprised, and/or set against her more than we already were by this?

A) Nothing much, she just pierced abel's under-chin with a finger-claw up to his mouth and left. Go read it.
B) Well, i for one am not especially surprised  - i was guessing she would either beat some sense into him or leave  theatrally with some kind of last strike... the second has happened
Saphroneth

Caswin

Quote from: Les on May 24, 2010, 03:19:43 PM
And Destania is Not insane.  Insanity indicates one lacks a fundamental ability to distinguish objective reality from subjective fantasy, including the differentiation between 'right' and 'wrong'.  Destania is not insane, she knows full well what she's doing and where it belongs on most objective evaluations of right and wrong.   She's just Evil.
That's a pretty specific definition of "insane".  As I understand it, psychosis is a general term for not being able to distinguish reality from fantasy, and it isn't linked to morality either way.  A psychopath can't make a meaningful distinction between right and wrong. (See also: The misleadingly-titled Antisocial Personality Disorder.) A sociopath just doesn't care.

If I had to guess, I'd say psychopath.  Whether or not that counts as "insane" is up to the individual, though it is definitely a recognized disorder.
EDIT: Touche on the diagnosis front.  I am defeat.
Quote from: DamarisThis is the most freaking civil "flame war" I have ever seen in my life.
Yap yap.

lilpuppy23

Les

Now I see why Abel isn't a fan of Dan's mom :erk

It's probably warped his view of the whole race.

And Abel's Dad didn't already do this?

Re: Sociopathy. 

Sociopathy is the inability to properly empathize with other people.  A Sociopath is largely incapable of forming an emotoinal connection with another person any deeper than we might form one with a maniquin we pass in the department store, and as such it doesn't particularly bother them to hurt somebody, anybody.

Most people don't like to admit it though, but everybody is built from square one to have a double-standard for 'people I like' and 'people I don't like'.  For some it just means we're more ready to blame 'them' for problems in our lives when we're stressed and kvetching about our lives, for others it can mean a capacity for breathtaking brutality against 'the enemy' from someone who can be just as kind and generous to their family and friends.

All evidence so far suggests she loves her family, which disqualifies her from being a sociopath.  She simply chooses to deliberatly partake in evil against those she doesn't care for.
Long live Space Race, Long live... Molvania!

Jasonrevall

For a bit I thought she was gonna try to gouge out an eye. Can't be right about everything. Anyway I doubt she was trying to beat sense into him. I think she just doesn't like him. And this is how she used to treat people she didn't like.
Forward ever onward upward aiming skyward.

jeffh4

Hmmm. . .

Read today's comic.. . .

*** YAWN ***

So tame. So everyday. . . .

I swear this comic needs a G Rating.

:P

Seriously though, this pushes the PG rating pretty far. . . . or would have if I hadn't seen what passes for PG in today's movies.

Quote from: danman on May 24, 2010, 04:49:29 PM
Quote from: jeffh4 on May 24, 2010, 04:16:52 PM
Quote from: danman on May 24, 2010, 01:32:52 PM
Abel on the other side is a son of the man she hates utterly,  the only being that comes close to how she hates dragons, and instead of helping her he is even rude.
I'm not convinced of that.  If Aniz welcomed her back into his arms, I think she'd go willingly.  Not only that, but they both despise dragons, and Aniz's master plan may be the same as Destania's: wipe out the dragon race.

This scene does make me wonder what it would take to make Abel fight back. Or for that matter, what it would take for him to decide to leave SAIA. His hemophelia is preventing him from fighting back right now, of course.

Wow, do you think Dee has such a lack of personal pride and self value that she would leap into the embrace of someone who kicked her away like dirty sock?

In a cold minute.

Pride has nothing to do with it.  Aniz is simply the one and only perfrect man in her eyes.  That he's turned into a sociopath just means that he's more like many other Cubi now.  

OK, so she's acting out some of her bitterness now.  Just remember that Aniz is the one that rejected her, not the other way around.

Mrs_A_ZeTavia

There is no word nor praise to describe the look on my face. Horrified doesn't even come close.
I just shut the tab. I'd just eaten, and this is the first time DMFA has ever made me feel nauseous.

You guys aren't the only ones with this reaction. Personally, I'm not entirely sure what to make of Dan's mom now....... :aack

Jairus

Quote from: Caswin on May 24, 2010, 05:39:14 PM

I've actually disliked Destania ever since Fi confirmed Abel's tirade against her way way back. That whole thing about FI thinking Destania was pretty evil kind of sealed the deal for me. And the whole genocide thing. This is different, though: this is onscreen and in front of us. It's a little harder to ignore that way.
Erupting Burning Sekiha Hell and Heaven Tenkyoken Tatsumaki Zankantō!!
NEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRDS! - Amber Williams
"And again I say unto you: bite me." - Harry Dresden
You'll catch crap no matter what sort of net you throw out - Me

VAE

Quote from: Les on May 24, 2010, 06:44:24 PM
And Abel's Dad didn't already do this?

<snip>
Most people don't like to admit it though, but everybody is built from square one to have a double-standard for 'people I like' and 'people I don't like'.  For some it just means we're more ready to blame 'them' for problems in our lives when we're stressed and kvetching about our lives, for others it can mean a capacity for breathtaking brutality against 'the enemy' from someone who can be just as kind and generous to their family and friends.

All evidence so far suggests she loves her family, which disqualifies her from being a sociopath.  She simply chooses to deliberatly partake in evil against those she doesn't care for.

This , and K+
I think i said it already - at least in my case i am largely unconcerned for abel ,since he has a particular combination of personality traits i despise .. the same goes with Aniz ,therefore what either of them do i view in much worse light.. With Destania, at least the way she is portrayed for most of the comic, it is the opposite... for most part i can agree with her goals and thoughts, so the occasional torture goes in a better light.... (if actually present in SAIA i would probably be a Dee-suckup like Aaryanna  :blush)  

With other people it seems to be the other way - i have noticed some that identify with some of abel's traits or problems (everyone pushing him) and so they tend to judge the opposite way - clear if you compare this thread with back when it seemed Abel killed Pip
Saphroneth

Shachza

Quote from: Mrs_A_ZeTavia on May 24, 2010, 06:56:55 PM
There is no word nor praise to describe the look on my face. Horrified doesn't even come close.
I just shut the tab. I'd just eaten, and this is the first time DMFA has ever made me feel nauseous.

You guys aren't the only ones with this reaction. Personally, I'm not entirely sure what to make of Dan's mom now....... :aack

I may not be nauseous, it takes something like Saw to do that, but I definitely want to smack her around a bit now.  I'm really hoping that having kids changes her a lot, because I used to like her, but after her dialogue concerning dragons I'm thinking the only thing that will change her mind is blunt force trauma.
            <-- #1 that is!

Kayriel

By Kayriel you people are squeamish and soft. For one, I think she left a good period at the end of whatever point she's making. It's certainly not for Abel's benefit, this point, more that he is connected to Aniz and she seems to be more talking to herself through him.
<3 Abel

Kesh

Quote from: jeffh4 on May 24, 2010, 06:48:27 PM
Hmmm. . .

Read today's comic.. . .

*** YAWN ***

So tame. So everyday. . . .

:P

Seriously though, this pushes the PG rating pretty far. . . . or would have if I hadn't seen what passes for PG in today's movies.

I seem to recall Amber saying that Abel's Story would be closer to PG-13, due to themes involved. Given we saw Abel's friends get slaughtered earlier in the story, this isn't pushing it any further.
But there's no sense crying over every mistake.
You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.
And the Science gets done.
And you make a neat gun.
For the people who are still alive.

Attic Rat

Interesting new cartoon style there! It's kind of like "Jack" but with better artwork and writing!
Which would you like to be, ignorant or misled?

Prof B Hunnydew

Quote from: jeffh4 on May 24, 2010, 06:48:27 PM
Hmmm. . .

Read today's comic.. . .

Be fair You were warning by Amber that This is comic was going to be a PG-14 rating.  Still the amount of blood and gore so far,  it is close to a MA rating].  or maybe something you would see on cable.  I think the games Mason is playing is effect Amber a little.

PBH

edit: Yea, Like Kesh said...

Drayco84

Quote from: Kayriel on May 24, 2010, 08:48:33 PM
By Kayriel you people are squeamish and soft. For one, I think she left a good period at the end of whatever point she's making. It's certainly not for Abel's benefit, this point, more that he is connected to Aniz and she seems to be more talking to herself through him.
Oh, excuse us for first seeing Destania as a loving, caring mother of her son, husband, and adopted daughter. So in factually, she's a stepmother, and one that treated her stepdaughter rather well at that. Which, might I add, is incredibly rare in fantasy stories.

I'm one of the apparently few people that doesn't feel any kind of "desire" for Abel as I can identify with him. Not everyone can reach out and "make friends". Some people also have an especially hard time understanding the feelings of others. (Especially introverts. They can tell you volumes about themselves but trying to understand someone else is a feat and a half, especially their feelings towards the introvert.) This might even be further complicated if they've tried to reach out and make friends in the past only to be slapped around...

Instance 1: Abel was bullied a lot in school. Instance 2: Devon dies right in front of him shortly after his exposition. Instance 3: Aniz, who he thought was a different person, slaps around his mother and threatens to kill her if he ever returned and brutally rips apart Hennya right in front of him. Instance 4: Aary does nothing but belittle him for the choices he's made. Instance 5: Wow... Just wow... I'm guessing Destania didn't take ANY subtlety or diplomacy classes back when she was in SAIA...

So yeah, he's tired of reaching out to others and tired of getting hurt by others. His jerk-persona (See also, the emotionless-tough-guy persona.) is a shell to try an keep others away. Unfortunately for him, it's not working too well with the DMFA cast.

Arcblade

Ugh.  So much for liking Destania.  Sorry, taking care of Dan and being good to Alexi just isn't cutting it against teaching rape, torture, and this particular strip.  I'm fairly certain I was neutral, borderlining on "eh, she's not so bad" right up 'til now. 

I'm with the people who got nauseated/disgusted.  People I like should not bleed like that.  Even if they're just comic characters and I'm taking it way too seriously.   :mowtongue

Turnsky

Damn Amber, this is a tad dark even by your usual standards..

My guess is that we're seeing the "Old" Destania, here.. That said we haven't seen much of her in the DMFA proper to draw a proper personality comparison.

but i would be curious to see if she has changed much in the intervening years, and by how much..

Dragons, it's what's for dinner... with gravy and potatoes, YUM!
Sparta? no, you should've taken that right at albuquerque..

Tipod

Neck wounds really are ugly ways of hurting people when you think about it. You can't even give your victim the dignity or speaking or saying anything other than choking and gurgling.
"How is it that I should not worship Him who created me?"
"Indeed, I do not know why."

Escher

Good gravy. The bottom of my jaw just past my chin actually started to hurt a bit when I realized what was going on...

(which, incidentally, is rather normal for me and nontraditional wounding scenes)

Still, like someone else has said, she IS an instructor on the art of torture, and her clan affinity according to the extra pages was IIRC pain...

But it's still a rather interesting turn of events. Just goes to show you, don't snark at Torture 101 instructors.
"A witty saying proves nothing."
--François-Marie Arouet, "Le dîner du comte de Boulainvilliers"

Technoire

Totally not a fan of Destania.
Totally not buying that Edward cured her with a special incantation (seriously, wasn't this one cleared up by Fa'Lina back in the first visit to SAIA arch?)
I understand that Destania gives in to these impulses because she is a Pain succubus, but I don't think I personally could ever forgive her if I were Abel. And damn man, when Dan finds out he's gonna have even MORE qualms about his Cubi heritage...

I will pose the idea though: If a Pain succubus gets off on pain, is in ALL pain? Does that in turn make her a masochist? Would she theoretically get off on it if Abel eventually showed HER a lesson? And could Abel, also theoretically speaking, be making himself a victim because he prefers it to the guild of inflicting pain on others and ENJOYING it as part of his Siar/Misery heritage?

liari

Brownie

This was odd, disturbing, scarring, WTFing, humorous and intriguing all at once.
My only real comment is, Well done amber. I just experienced every emotion I know through that one strip. Very well done.

bradley535

Quote from: danman on May 24, 2010, 01:32:52 PM
Abel on the other side is a son of the man she hates utterly,  the only being that comes close to how she hates dragons, and instead of helping her he is even rude.

I have to disagree. Able in not the son of the man she hates. He is the son of the man she loves, or loved. The son not given by her. Able is the embodiment of everything that went wrong in her life. The physical manifestation of her own betrayal, her lost love and the petty spawn of the desperate loser; that was once so bold as to capture her heart. Were I her, I'd hate him too.

Failcakes

Well this explains why abel hates blood so much.

Anker Steadfast

Iiiinteresting.

Why, I'd say she might not even like him !   :erk

GAH - I have been lured into fiddling with forum tamagotchies.

Triggsy

You people going on with this 'OMG HORRIFIED' business are..well, suffice to say what I'd like to say isn't exactly flattering. It's a freaking cartoon, and even in the scope of the cartoon it's a minor injury (in the grand scheme of what Destania is capable of), and not entirely unfixable. If anything, Abel's lucky he got away with only that. From the sounds of things they're not exactly the greatest of chums.

God that feels good. I had to register just to tell you guys off :|

Anyway, it's nice to see Amber taking a swing at something darker for a change of pace. I know Abel's Story is more serious, but this is taking it a bit more in that direction, which is no bad thing. Well done.

Addendum: Those who didn't foresee an impending delivery of pain to Abel need a lesson in foreshadowing...