05/03/2010 [AS2 #100] Such a dominating personality

Started by Jairus, May 03, 2010, 02:27:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Congo Jack

She either hide her feelings very good, or just not having them, but I don't see how she takes pleasure in other's pain. She's feeding off pain, yes, but aren't most nutritient stuff usually not taste great? For all we know she really could threat pain as "vegetables".

Last strip she walked in wearing something you'd associate with paraphilia.
Does she behave like one? No. There are no lustful smile, swindling hips, mannerism. She doesn't rubbing hands in anticipation of torturing, nor she accentuate her superiority with every glare. She's not Ice Dominatrix, not Hot Seductress, but casual, room-temperature Matron. She's not doing it for pleasure, she living it.
Amber really outdone herself here.   :mowhappy :mowhappy :mowhappy

Unsilenced

Quote from: Black_angel on May 03, 2010, 12:45:26 PM
...Is it bad that I find myself blaming Dee as being part of the reason Abel is so f'ed up now? I don't want to be accused of having a Dan mentality, after all. (Not that I think he's a homophobe. I think he's just overcoming lots of prejudice against Cubi.)

Also, I just made a mental comparison of couples: Edward and Destania to Vegeta and Bulma in DBZ. The most unlikely couple ever, yet one manages to overcome their normally savage, mean, and sociopathic nature for the sake of another person. Enough to raise perfectly normal children and be a loving spouse.

...I think this shows just how strong Edward is as a character, in a weird way. Same argument my roommate used on me for Vegeta and Bulma.

His entire childhood was a lie, his father abused him, he went years without seeing his mother then arrived just in time to watch her die, just about every authority figure he has ever known has been cruel to him and apparently the only reason he is alive is because his lying abusive father has an agenda.

I think he might have more issues than being whipped by the mother of a future acquaintance.

EDIT: Oh, and let's not forget that he has recently been accused of being responsible (at least through inaction) for his mother's death, and has been told that he must not really have loved her.
Post of the Dead:
"When there is no more room in hell, this thread will walk the earth"

Jairus

Quote from: Congo Jack on May 03, 2010, 02:52:02 PMLast strip she walked in wearing something you'd associate with paraphilia.
Does she behave like one? No. There are no lustful smile, swindling hips, mannerism. She doesn't rubbing hands in anticipation of torturing, nor she accentuate her superiority with every glare. She's not Ice Dominatrix, not Hot Seductress, but casual, room-temperature Matron. She's not doing it for pleasure, she living it.
Amber really outdone herself here.   :mowhappy :mowhappy :mowhappy
I would just like to add that that cold detachment makes Destania's desire to use children and infants in her torture classes a lot creepier. Thanks.
Quote from: Unsilenced on May 03, 2010, 02:59:24 PM
...Is it bad that I find myself blaming Dee as being part of the reason Abel is so f'ed up now? I don't want to be accused of having a Dan mentality, after all. (Not that I think he's a homophobe. I think he's just overcoming lots of prejudice against Cubi.)

Also, I just made a mental comparison of couples: Edward and Destania to Vegeta and Bulma in DBZ. The most unlikely couple ever, yet one manages to overcome their normally savage, mean, and sociopathic nature for the sake of another person. Enough to raise perfectly normal children and be a loving spouse.

...I think this shows just how strong Edward is as a character, in a weird way. Same argument my roommate used on me for Vegeta and Bulma.

His entire childhood was a lie, his father abused him, he went years without seeing his mother then arrived just in time to watch her die, just about every authority figure he has ever known has been cruel to him and apparently the only reason he is alive is because his lying abusive father has an agenda.

I think he might have more issues than being whipped by the mother of a future acquaintance.
All very good points! Though this certainly would partially explain why Abel doesn't like her: to him, this basically might be kicking him while he's down. Repeatedly. In the spleen.
Erupting Burning Sekiha Hell and Heaven Tenkyoken Tatsumaki Zankantō!!
NEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRDS! - Amber Williams
"And again I say unto you: bite me." - Harry Dresden
You'll catch crap no matter what sort of net you throw out - Me

joshofspam

Quote from: Jairus on May 03, 2010, 02:41:16 PM
Quote from: joshofspam on May 03, 2010, 01:26:03 PM
Quote from: Jairus on May 03, 2010, 01:01:53 PM
Quote from: Congo Jack on May 03, 2010, 12:56:11 PM
Quote from: Jairus on May 03, 2010, 11:37:52 AM
Currently, all I'm seeing is a sadist who just took a riding crop to a student and enjoyed it.
I don't.
There is no pleasure on her face in the last panel, because she isn't doing it for pleasure.
No hatred or resentment either. She's calm. She just slapped him for insolence, not taking it personally. Don't make the semblance with your college life fool you - Cubi are not living in western democracy. They are thousand-year old tribal despotic hellspawns, who live in absolute authority of clan leaders, with pecking order and family feuds. I mean there is nothing unusual in physical assault, in particular, to make point about how youngsters should NOT talking to elders.
I'm saying she enjoyed it because she was smiling as she was hitting him.

So your saying she enjoyed hitting him but didn't enjoy having to remind him that all she sees in him is being a useful tool to kill his father, right?
No, I'm not saying that. I'm saying I think she enjoyed hitting him. If she was genuinely trying to help him, she'd probably not have been smiling while she hit him with a riding crop. Maybe Destania's trying to help him, but much like Aaryanna she's going about it wrong. For that matter, has she even said to his face that she only really sees him as a tool to getting at his dad? Because I think she's smarter than that: saying that to him would just drive him away from her.

In any case I would guess taking anything for granted involving Destania would be a mistake.

Her first meeting of Abel with  "her work with me or stay out of my way" speech didn't make me feel that they would have a friendly relationship even if Abel took her up on her offer.

I guess she's showing her point that she made that first time.

Snark must be a "In my way offence".

What Destania's really thinking we can only guess, but that definitely looked like a grin of malice intent.

Remind me not to talk in her class.

I don't know what would be worst the fact she would get a thrill hitting me or the cold lecture I would get after that about causing her any problems.
I perfer my spam cooked on a skillet.

Angel

EDIT: Oh, and let's not forget that he has recently been accused of being responsible (at least through inaction) for his mother's death, and has been told that he must not really have loved her.

I'm not saying that there wasn't a LOT in his life so far that probably screwed him up way more than Dee. I'm just saying her actions towards him could be part of it. Looking at his rant to Dan about her, he certainly seems to view her as the symbol of all that is wrong with the Cubi.
The Real Myth of Sisyphus:
The itsy-bitsy spider went up the water spout,
Down came the rain and washed the spider out.
Out came the sun and dried up all the rain,
And the itsy-bitsy spider went up the spout again...
BANDWAGON JUMP!

Congo Jack

Quote from: Black_angel on May 03, 2010, 03:14:20 PM

I'm not saying that there wasn't a LOT in his life so far that probably screwed him up way more than Dee. I'm just saying her actions towards him could be part of it. Looking at his rant to Dan about her, he certainly seems to view her as the symbol of all that is wrong with the Cubi.
Other parts being Aaryanna, Fa'lina, Mink... the whole SAIA did not much to him. I only hope when he'll visit mother's funeral (I assume he will!) he'll deside to stay in Zinvth a little longer - to taste live, meet people who live life, probably sort out what he want to do with his own life. One can only hope.

Psychedelic Mushroom

Quote from: Demont on May 03, 2010, 03:24:38 AM
I wonder if Destania is venting some anger of Abel's dad at him? :erk
Probably. The first thing I thought of when she hit him. Is when his father struck her. Maybe she is venting anger.  :c

Vanvidum

It really is interesting how everything seems to tie back to Destania in the plot.

Let's see... Dan and Alexi's mother, Abel's teacher, major factor in the extermination of Fa'Lina's clan, a mysterious relationship with Pyroduck, instigated the latest round of Dark Pegasus-Dan conflict, and is planning something nasty for the dragon race as a whole.

Destania is almost the main character that's never there...

Drayco84

Quote from: Vanvidum on May 03, 2010, 10:42:20 AM
Quote from: Mao Laoren on May 03, 2010, 10:16:39 AM
Well, given that the Cyra clan's emotional affinity is pain.. it's like having a meals on wheels for her.

Q: What did the pain-affinity cubi get at the drive through?

A: A slappy meal!

...I'll be going now.
Heeheehee... I mean, that pun was terrible.

Well, at least we see now why Abel's surprised that Dan wasn't born with frostbite... (Or maybe he was... Hard to tell when they're that age...) But seriously, could someone JUST come out and SAY "Abel, Aniz isn't as strong as you think he is. Let me show what he's planning and how to take him down." It's like watching a Furrae version of Those Who Hunt Elves...

I'm all for trying to get him to learn how to fight back, but berating him and regularly smacking him upside the head probably aren't the best ways to go about doing it... Heck, I doubt a full-force beat down would help. Abel's just too much of a pacifist in nature... Maybe if you stuck him with a God of Annoyance incarnate and left him alone for a... Oh, Fa'Lina... I see what you did there...

Regardless... DANIEL'S MOM... HAS GOT IT GOIN'-*Gets shot.*

null0010

If there is ever a Destania wallpaper, I think it needs to include this outfit.

SoWhatIfImFurry

Unsilenced

Quote from: SoWhatIfImFurry on May 03, 2010, 08:02:28 PM
OOOOH Abels about to lose it!

Ignoring the disturbing amount of optimism in that statement, yes indeed it does.

I think this thread was a bit too absorbed with that last panel to notice that Abel's despair has turned to wrath. =p
Post of the Dead:

Scarydragon

Quote from: Unsilenced on May 03, 2010, 08:17:22 PM
Quote from: SoWhatIfImFurry on May 03, 2010, 08:02:28 PM
OOOOH Abels about to lose it!

Ignoring the disturbing amount of optimism in that statement, yes indeed it does.

I think this thread was a bit too absorbed with that last panel to notice that Abel's despair has turned to wrath. =p

I truly hope he tries something. I always enjoy a good beat down! :3

And yes, I do think Abel deserves this, but only because he was completely insubordinate to like, the worst possible teacher in SAIA to do so to. Well, maybe not the worst, but still bad.
A Scarydragon approaches!

[Attack]
>[Word Play]
     [Sarcasm]
     [Innuendo]
     [Backwards Logic]
     [Puns]
   >[Sarcasm]
  [Procrastinate]
  [Item]

Unsilenced

Quote from: Scarydragon on May 03, 2010, 08:32:32 PM

I always enjoy a good beat down! :3

Context: You never realize how important it is until it's gone.
Post of the Dead:

lilpuppy23

*Un-lurk*

Would this count as "a problem Abel cannot run away from"?

Seems it would

Also, Amber's art is getting better! As is the writing.

techmaster-glitch

Quote from: lilpuppy23 on May 03, 2010, 09:04:55 PM
Would this count as "a problem Abel cannot run away from"?

Seems it would
Oh, I think you'd be surprised just how many things one can run away from :U (or try to, at least)

Pvblivs

Destania decidedly looks like she cares.  If she didn't, she wouldn't be there.  It's not like Abel went to her -- or to anyone, for that matter.  He's been rather reclusive.  And while he may need someone to break him out of his withdrawal, I don't see very many qualified for the role.

Scow2

Quote from: Pvblivs on May 03, 2010, 09:21:41 PM
Destania decidedly looks like she cares.  If she didn't, she wouldn't be there.  It's not like Abel went to her -- or to anyone, for that matter.  He's been rather reclusive.  And while he may need someone to break him out of his withdrawal, I don't see very many qualified for the role.
I DO! #1 Squiggle is up for the job. Aarryanna and Destania aren't.

I don't see how Abel deserves a smack for not bothering anyone about problems that he doesn't really feel concerned about just because Destania wants to make him into her pawn to aid her in a matter that is no longer of any concern to him. Aaryanna's verbal beratement of him is similarly undeserved (and laughably futile because she can't do a damn thing about it) simply because there's a quality in him she doesn't like, while he doesn't give a damn about how she feels, and has no desire to get in her pants...

Aniz is no longer of any concern to Abel... stopping the monster wouldn't have saved his mortal mother. His problems are strictly his own, it's not Dee nor Aary's place to intervene. So, they throw a hissy fit because he's exercising his right to not care about Dee or Aary's goals or desires... Fundamental, inalienable right.

Caraig

Quote from: Pagan on May 03, 2010, 02:43:38 PMI agree with most of this. SAIA and 'Cubi culture is not the culture of Western society. Or even any human society. However, Dest took thorough pleasure in smacking Abel.

This is an important point, and one worth repeating.

It is also worth repeating that the crop-whack jolted Abel into what looks like a serious fangs-barred mad-on, and it would not surprise me if Dee did this in part to show Abel that he is sorely lacking in the combat side of things.  What follows next is likely to be Abel attempting to whail on Dee and showing just how lacking he is... and while that is a goal of Dee, I can see her quite, QUITE enjoying the lesson.

Mind you, I think that she is still (in the words of Biggs) FRICKIN' HOT! but... okay, some people are cool with the sadistic dominatrix schtick, but I'm afraid not me.  Which makes that and the juxtaposition of her being a clearly sexual creature in these last couple of strips all the more jarring.  (Which is probably what she's aiming for.  The emotional confusion could be, I don't know, 'tasty?')

Scow2

Dee is, in precise terms: A sadistic, genocidal monster, with a strong "Sexual Predator" vibe...

Anyone care to contend any of those points?

RandomMetaphysics

Quote from: Professor Fate on May 03, 2010, 03:57:34 PM
Quote from: Demont on May 03, 2010, 03:24:38 AM
I wonder if Destania is venting some anger of Abel's dad at him? :erk
Probably. The first thing I thought of when she hit him. Is when his father struck her. Maybe she is venting anger.  :c
That's an interesting theory. If I recall correctly, Aniz lashed a wing tendril at Destania's face (her right cheek if I recall correctly). Seeing Destania strike Abel in the same general area gave me on of those feelings of déjà vu.

Annnnnnd speaking of Abel, does anyone else here think that Abel is going to retaliate? I mean... physically? His claws are out, and with what's happened and all, I wouldn't try my luck.
I smell savagery afoot. Excuse me while I go grab a kevlar vest...

Arcblade

Quote from: Scow2 on May 03, 2010, 10:53:20 PM
Dee is, in precise terms: A sadistic, genocidal monster, with a strong "Sexual Predator" vibe...

Anyone care to contend any of those points?

Now you're just asking to be lit on fire.

Amber Williams

Man...that is always awkward in the interview process when they get to that part of the resume. :U

Congo Jack

Good summation of Cubi racial traits, but what about her personality? 8)

Unsilenced

Quote from: Amber Williams on May 03, 2010, 11:55:40 PM

Man...that is always awkward in the interview process when they get to that part of the resume. :U

Works great when applying for a job at a public school though.
Post of the Dead:

Saist

... ...

I'm sure somebody's already brought it up... but Dan's Mom is hot as a dominatrix...

Unsilenced

Quote from: Saist on May 04, 2010, 01:07:42 AM
... ...

I'm sure somebody's already brought it up... but Dan's Mom is hot as a dominatrix...

There have been posts about it.

You know, like, this entire thread. =p

(Ok not really but...)
Post of the Dead:

AmigaDragon

Quote from: Rambon on May 03, 2010, 05:47:03 AM
This is still fa-teen right?

Fa-teen? Is that another cubi at SAIA? :mowwink

Quote from: Jairus on May 03, 2010, 11:37:52 AM
...she just physically assaulted a student outside of a particular classroom environment (like combat or her lecture or even detention) where it might be justified...
Currently, all I'm seeing is a sadist who just took a riding crop to a student and enjoyed it.

I'm sure the standards at SAIA are vastly looser than even other Furrae schools, let alone our own, when it comes to physical and mental abuse between faculty and students (and between faculty and faculty, and between students and students).
Quote from: Pagan on May 03, 2010, 02:43:38 PM
I agree with most of this. SAIA and 'Cubi culture is not the culture of Western society. Or even any human society. However, Dest took thorough pleasure in smacking Abel.

Hell, I'd take pleasure in smacking him too.

Quote from: Congo Jack on May 03, 2010, 03:36:53 PM
I only hope when he'll visit mother's funeral (I assume he will!) he'll deside to stay in Zinvth a little longer - to taste live, meet people who live life, probably sort out what he want to do with his own life. One can only hope.

I think we can assume that at this point the funeral is already over, that Abel may have stayed just long enough for it before returning to SAIA. We haven't had any indication that he had any other family to be notified, causing a long wait between her death and burial (or whatever) for them to attend.
"Cogito, ergo es. I think, therefore you is." Ray D. Tutto (King of the Moon) to Baron Munschaussen

SpottedKitty

Quote from: Caraig on May 03, 2010, 10:42:59 PM

Mind you, I think that she is still (in the words of Biggs) FRICKIN' HOT!

Are you sure? Wasn't that Destania herself in disguise, playing Biggs unnervingly well (and giving Dan a bad case of TMI)?   ;)
ENGLISH: A language that lurks in dark alleys, beats up other languages
and rifles through their pockets for spare vocabulary.

Turnsky

Quote from: Saist on May 04, 2010, 01:07:42 AM
... ...

as? seeing as she quite literally thrives off of pain, i'd say that was more her uniform >:3

Dragons, it's what's for dinner... with gravy and potatoes, YUM!
Sparta? no, you should've taken that right at albuquerque..