Mythic Overcharges Thousands of Warhammer Online Players--

Started by Tipod, April 18, 2010, 02:46:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tipod

--resulting in overdraft fees of several hundreds if not thousands of dollars for countless customers to their "fine" product. The official response? "Welp." I sincerely hope nobody on this forum has an account with these people, and if you do, you'd better tell your bank not to accept any charges from Mythic. Like, right now, because even people who canceled their Warhammer accounts have been reportedly hit by multiple transactions.

This may be the most ridiculous blunder I've ever seen from a gaming company in a long time and I mean a long time. Like, in forever.
"How is it that I should not worship Him who created me?"
"Indeed, I do not know why."

llearch n'n'daCorna

The official response is "we're fixing it, and we're sorry"

... I don't see what else you reasonably expect them to do. Perhaps you were reading a different news post to the one I read...
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Tipod

I just noticed I fucked up linking to the right thing, and now I can't find it. Damnit.

This probably deserves a little more backstory: on the official Mythic forums, they've been having forum staff respond to the issue rather than people actually in charge of the company itself. While this is normally hilarious enough, what's even more hilarious (read: depressing) is some of the cases of the people being hit with completely phenomenal charges in excess of a grand. I think this post sums it up pretty nicely. Even more choice quotes from this OP since it tidies it up better than I could.

What's great is that this is not only has this problem been reported as of April 9th, it's still happening. Even better? This isn't even the first time this has turned up. These poor bastards are literally getting their checking accounts cleaned out by a billing service that had the exact same problem before and is continuing to screw people over for longer than a week in either incident. What compelled Mythic to continue with whatever godawful system they signed up with?

Drayco84

There's two things the victims can do... (Yeah, you heard me. Victims.) One: Issue a chargeback with your credit card company. Two: Cancel the account or change payment methods. (In other words, disable automatic payments.)

I don't care how much you like the game, if they start overcharging you, it's time to cut the cord.

Tipod

Unfortunately some people on their forums aren't even smart enough to do that and a few of them hint that they'd keep playing in the hopes that this problem is eventually (haha yeah right) sorted out on their end. I didn't think such broken and spineless human beings existed but the MMO community proved me wrong.

I especially love the accounts of people being told by EA/Mythic reps that canceling their cards to stop the charges means they won't be refunded. What, are they going to keep thousands of fraudulently acquired dollars just like that?

Drayco84

Depends on if someone rises up with a class-action lawsuit, including damages done by overdraws. (Bet the billing system will get fixed real quick then...)

And I hate to say this... I really do, but it sounds like a lot of those players are psychologically addicted to the game... No, I'm not trying to be a jerk here, but if you feel like you can't stop doing something, despite the fact that you're being blatantly ripped off, then I'd like to know what else it could be besides a psychological addiction... (And before you ask, NO. I don't have any psychological credentials.)

Turnsky

i think the thing that comes up most is: "people are still paying for that?"  >:3

Dragons, it's what's for dinner... with gravy and potatoes, YUM!
Sparta? no, you should've taken that right at albuquerque..

Paladin Sheppard

I canceled my Warhammer account the moment they shut down the aussie servers...