04/16/10 [DMFA#1105] - Bit of advice

Started by Caswin, April 15, 2010, 08:03:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Turnsky

Quote from: Tapewolf on April 16, 2010, 03:08:34 AM
What intrigues me is that if Kria is going along with it to annoy DP, which is almost certainly the case, why did she drop hints in the Zinvth broadcast?  Or was that for verisimilitude?

or she wanted to further rub his nose in it, as the thought does rub DP the wrong way immensely..

i'd chalk that one up to 'sibling rivalry'

That said, i think what Kria's saying is that she knows Lorenda only said Dan was her boyfriend to save his life. "Parents know" if you will.. Being a parent, Kria prolly knows Lorenda better than she knows herself.

Dragons, it's what's for dinner... with gravy and potatoes, YUM!
Sparta? no, you should've taken that right at albuquerque..

Tapewolf

Quote from: Turnsky on April 16, 2010, 03:55:06 AM
That said, i think what Kria's saying is that she knows Lorenda only said Dan was her boyfriend to save his life.
Indeed.  But the way she's phrasing it will only make sense to Dan if he knows about it.  One possibility is that she's phrased it that way deliberately to try and find out if Lorenda remembered to clue him in on it.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Rafe

I'm surprised no one's mentioned probably Kria's best motivation for working Dan into her plans, and the reason she seems so pleased that Dan isn't what Lorenda says he is:

Now, she can drive Dark Pegasus and Lorenda crazy at the same time, and sate her own sordid desires, by making Dan HER boyfriend, or at least trying really milfingly hard.
Rafe

psilorder

Quote from: Titanium Dragon on April 16, 2010, 03:51:24 AM
Quote from: Tapewolf on April 16, 2010, 03:08:34 AMWhat intrigues me is that if Kria is going along with it to annoy DP, which is almost certainly the case, why did she drop hints in the Zinvth broadcast?  Or was that for verisimilitude?

That's easy. She wants to embarrass her daughter. I suspect "Thursday" is her inviting Lorenda and her "boyfriend" over to torture Lorenda that much more. After all, she may love her, but that doesn't mean she can't drive her crazy :P

Yeargh. please let this not be a lead-in to Matilda getting angry at Dan for having two girlsfriends simply because he didnt have time to explain to her before she got angry.

*thinks of DMFA as a soap-opera/hollywood romantic comedy and shivers*

Tapewolf

Quote from: psilorder on April 16, 2010, 05:25:21 AM
Yeargh. please let this not be a lead-in to Matilda getting angry at Dan for having two girlsfriends simply because he didnt have time to explain to her before she got angry.

Tricky one.  I think she'd probably know if he was doing that.  She's able to see his soul and it's arguable that she may have guessed that he had an ulterior motive for the date.  That and she's about 10 times older than he is.

Quote from: Rafe on April 16, 2010, 04:18:27 AM
Now, [Kria] can drive Dark Pegasus and Lorenda crazy at the same time, and sate her own sordid desires, by making Dan HER boyfriend, or at least trying really milfingly hard.

I wouldn't put that past her  >:3

Bjalf

Quote from: Arcblade on April 15, 2010, 09:10:41 PM
Thursday, in-comic time.  What day is it today in-comic time?  
Saturday? Whatever they're watching here apparently runs on Saturdays.

Also: Dan's new nickname: sugarbuns.  Snerk.  Bahahaha.  
Could be worse, could be sugar-fluff.

Quote from: Tapewolf on April 16, 2010, 04:12:41 AM
Quote from: Turnsky on April 16, 2010, 03:55:06 AM
That said, i think what Kria's saying is that she knows Lorenda only said Dan was her boyfriend to save his life.
Indeed.  But the way she's phrasing it will only make sense to Dan if he knows about it.  One possibility is that she's phrased it that way deliberately to try and find out if Lorenda remembered to clue him in on it.
This.

Kria asks him "So do you have any idea what I want to talk about?"

Whatever Dan answers will tell her how Dan mainly thinks of her, either as future mother-in-law, or as being closely related to mortal enemies. Personally, I don't know what would be worse.

Edit: So, my point is this: If Dan was Lorenda's boyfriend, or if he had been clued in by Lorenda, he would have answered quite differently. Which means that Kria knows that Lorenda lied about it, and that she then forgot to tell Dan about the lie.

So, what happens on Thursday? Dan is going to be invited to dinner, and Lorenda is going to be horribly, horribly embarrassed when Kria starts to plan the wedding. Kria will then teach Lorenda how to lie properly. And Dan will be de-pantsu'ed in the process. Vegetables will be involved.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Bjalf on April 16, 2010, 06:33:02 AM
Edit: So, my point is this: If Dan was Lorenda's boyfriend, or if he had been clued in by Lorenda, he would have answered quite differently. Which means that Kria knows that Lorenda lied about it, and that she then forgot to tell Dan about the lie.

Yes.  However, that's not a given.
It's possible that Dan has been clued-in off-camera and was simply answering in an oblique fashion.  People don't always get on with their in-laws, after all, so he might potentially have answered that way even if he had been out on a couple dates with Lorenda.

I had to read the strip twice before I realised what she was getting at - if I were in Dan's place it probably wouldn't have clicked until about 30 seconds after she'd left :P

Having said that, if he had truly been Lorenda's BF, his reaction would almost certainly be more along the lines of "Oh ____, she's seen me two-timing with Matilda", so I guess it might work out anyhow.

Chairtastic

Quote from: Rafe on April 16, 2010, 04:18:27 AM
Now, she can drive Dark Pegasus and Lorenda crazy at the same time, and sate her own sordid desires, by making Dan HER boyfriend, or at least trying really milfingly hard.

I agree with the above statement. :U

The presence of fangs in the comic leads me to believe Kria is just a little ticked off at the moment, but that's me. Perhaps her nigh infinite patience with Lorenda is finally wearing thin?

In other news: Sugarbuns, for the win.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Meany on April 16, 2010, 07:40:34 AM
The presence of fangs in the comic leads me to believe Kria is just a little ticked off at the moment, but that's me.

Look around 942, 944 and 960.  She seems to do that when she's having fun.

EDIT:

Of all my rambling I forgot to mention: I love Kria's expressions in this strip.

Mao

Oh Kria~<3

So awesome.  Panel two pretty well made my day.  I have to say I'm looking forward to whatever Thursday brings.

Les

Oh my yes, Kria does look super-smexy.. especially in panel 2.  The sleeveless/shoulder-less tuxedo thing flatters her figure quite nicely as well as matching surprisingly well with the hat. 

I see she's found a replacement amulet, more's the pity, her wings are Gorgeous.

As for the fangs, the rest of her expression doesn't mesh well with 'peeved'.. I'm getting more an impression of 'playful' from her right now.
Long live Space Race, Long live... Molvania!

Bjalf

Quote from: Tapewolf on April 16, 2010, 07:12:03 AM
It's possible that Dan has been clued-in off-camera and was simply answering in an oblique fashion.
Wait, are you saying that Dan is in possession of an actual working brain? I'm not convinced.

Quote from: Les on April 16, 2010, 08:16:06 AM
I see she's found a replacement amulet, more's the pity, her wings are Gorgeous.
Did she lose it? I missed that.

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Bjalf on April 16, 2010, 08:39:07 AM

She gave it to Lorenda, after Lorenda's wings came in.
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Bjalf

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on April 16, 2010, 09:41:02 AM

Huh. Still can't find any reference to that.

D'ymkarra

If I recall, Lorenda's wings were still small enough she could cover them with her jacket...
'It'd be such an honour, to be personally smacked upside the head by the artist herself' - Bjalf

Bjalf

Quote from: D'ymkarra on April 16, 2010, 10:02:08 AM
If I recall, Lorenda's wings were still small enough she could cover them with her jacket...

They're small enough to cover with a birthday suit on a crowded nudist beach.

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Bjalf on April 16, 2010, 09:59:34 AM

You're right, my mistake. She took it off, and ripped her jacket to pieces, but she didn't lose it. I was conflating her slipping it to Abel with Lorenda's escapades. My bad :-/

candide

Ooh!  Oooh!  I did not consider that:  Kria knew that Lorenda lied, and just got confirmation of it when she saw Dan on a date with someone else.

So now I gotta revise that scene between Lorenda and Kria that I imagined.  It'll probably now go something like, "So, didja really think that you could pull one over on  me, Lorenda?  Especially something that obvious?" followed by Kria demanding something from Lorenda.  Just like your parents did to you when you were 17 and moved your dresser in front of that hole you put in the wall in your bedroom, thinking that they wouldn't notice.   :mowtongue

Ooh!  I also just thought:  Kria may want something out of Dan, too, thinking that he & Lorenda are in on the lie together.

This should be interesting.  Very niiiiice, Amber!

jeffh4

Quote from: Tapewolf on April 16, 2010, 03:08:34 AM
What intrigues me is that if Kria is going along with it to annoy DP, which is almost certainly the case, why did she drop hints in the Zinvth broadcast?  Or was that for verisimilitude?

Here's my take on what Kria was thinking and when.

First, Lorenda declares Dan to be her boyfriend.  Kria believes her happily because 1) What mom doesn't want her daughter to find someone, 2) Kria gets to deny her asshat brother something he wants, 3) Dan is from a powerful Cubi clan and has a cute butt

At the news conference, Kria still believes it (happy mom zone).

While spying on Dan, she sees him spend the night at Matilda and reflects on the possibilities. Remember, Kria is smart, understands the motivations and characters of others, and did not barge in to kill Dan/Matilda when she had the chance.

Option 1) Dan is cheating on Lorena. Not likely for Dan's do-gooder adventure character, but if he panics when Kira surprises him, then she'll know. 
Option 2) Lorenda lied about going out with Dan and later told Dan about this.  If Kria surprises him and asks him what this is all about, he'll say "The little deception about Lorenda and I being a couple."
Option 3) Lorenda lied about going out with Dan and Dan doesn't know this.  If Kria surprises him and asks him what this is all about, he'll say "About Regina and DP."

After Dan's response matching Option 3, Kria knows option 3 is correct, which apparently is what she considered the most likely.  Did she know this 24 hours earlier?  Certainly not for sure, but she may have suspected it. 

I was the one that suggested Lorenda had told Dan about her little lie to her mom, but I don't think that anymore. 

What happens Thursday?  Isn't it obvious?

TACOS!!!!!!!   :)

Bjalf

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on April 16, 2010, 11:25:56 AM
Quote from: Bjalf on April 16, 2010, 09:59:34 AM

You're right, my mistake. She took it off, and ripped her jacket to pieces, but she didn't lose it. I was conflating her slipping it to Abel with Lorenda's escapades. My bad :-/
That explains it. She must have managed to get it back (or get a new one) in the 370+ years since then   xD

Quote from: candide on April 16, 2010, 11:25:58 AM
Ooh!  I also just thought:  Kria may want something out of Dan, too, thinking that he & Lorenda are in on the lie together.
I doubt Kria thinks that Dan knew about the lie, or he would probably have reacted differently. But she definitely wants something from Dan. Several somethings, actually. His shirt, his pants, his young ... limber looking ... body.

Quote from: jeffh4 on April 16, 2010, 12:18:16 PM
Remember, Kria is smart, understands the motivations and characters of others, and did not barge in to kill Dan/Matilda when she had the chance.
She was too busy trying to sneak a peek of Dan in the shower. Or possibly knitting.

Tapewolf

Option 3) Lorenda lied about going out with Dan and Dan doesn't know this.  If Kria surprises him and asks him what this is all about, he'll say "About Regina and DP."

After Dan's response matching Option 3, Kria knows option 3 is correct, which apparently is what she considered the most likely.  Did she know this 24 hours earlier?  Certainly not for sure, but she may have suspected it. 

Yes, her first line in the second panel is consistent with that, yes.  However, the rest of her speech will simply leave Dan completely confused if he's not in on the secret.  Now, that might be what she's banking on to further confirm things, but it wouldn't exactly hurt Kria to fill him in on it, rather than leaving him in the dark and suspicious.

Kria's ploy also depends on Dan's priorities.  If he's afraid of Regina and DP killing everyone - including Lorenda if strip 985 isn't just him rambling - then he might be more worried about that than what Kria thinks about their relationship.

jeffh4

Quote from: Tapewolf on April 16, 2010, 12:55:59 PM

Yes, her first line in the second panel is consistent with that, yes.  However, the rest of her speech will simply leave Dan completely confused if he's not in on the secret.  Now, that might be what she's banking on to further confirm things, but it wouldn't exactly hurt Kria to fill him in on it, rather than leaving him in the dark and suspicious.

Kria's ploy also depends on Dan's priorities.  If he's afraid of Regina and DP killing everyone - including Lorenda if strip 985 isn't just him rambling - then he might be more worried about that than what Kria thinks about their relationship.

I don't understand your point because Dan is always clueless and confused.   :)

I don't take Kria as the kind who tries to get things done by manipulating others.  She just goes and fixes the problem herself.  In other words, she isn't talking to Dan about parenthood to get him to do anything in particular.  She's more expounding on what is foremost in her mind right now: her relationship and communication with her daughter.  Kria has no compulsion to tell Dan about Lorenda's lie. That would be being helpful which not high on the list of Kria's character traits. 

In reference to Kria's ploy, I assume you are referring to whatever will happen on Thursday? Does she then plan to expose this little lie in a spectacular way?  We'll see.

Tapewolf

Quote from: jeffh4 on April 16, 2010, 01:11:27 PM
I don't take Kria as the kind who tries to get things done by manipulating others.
That strikes me as what she's doing right now, if your analysis is correct.  Her 'ploy' as I put it, is to ask Dan what he's thinking of in order to deduce what her daughter has done from his response.

jeffh4

Quote from: Tapewolf on April 16, 2010, 01:58:28 PM
Quote from: jeffh4 on April 16, 2010, 01:11:27 PM
I don't take Kria as the kind who tries to get things done by manipulating others.
That strikes me as what she's doing right now, if your analysis is correct.  Her 'ploy' as I put it, is to ask Dan what he's thinking of in order to deduce what her daughter has done from his response.

A point, I wasn't being clear. I meant to say Kria is not the kind who tries to get things done by manipulating others into doing it for her.  For example, [insert anything that Briggs has ever done here].

I now see what you meant by her ploy.  And yes, it worked.

Mischa

I think it's sweet that Kria's concerned about Dan's dietary habits.  After all of those years subsisting on just alcohol, he probably does need more vegetables in his diet.  :3

Infranscia

Quote from: Maark30 on April 15, 2010, 11:42:09 PM2)Abel.  She is probably still protective of Abel since she seemed to really care about him and his mother May.

Remember: Kria probably doesn't know about Abel living in Lost Lake, yet.  It doesn't seem like it's been brought up with her.

Quote from: Bjalf on April 16, 2010, 06:33:02 AM
Quote from: Arcblade on April 15, 2010, 09:10:41 PMThursday, in-comic time.  What day is it today in-comic time?
Saturday? Whatever they're watching here apparently runs on Saturdays.

Also, look at 1046 and 1048 - the date night was on Friday.  And since it's the next morning...

Seems I'm one of the ones that got confused about what Kria is saying.  Here I thought that she was talking about that 1. If he's dating another girl, that brings up problems with DP and Regina, 2.  She's thinking that he's trying to 'pull a fast one' on her and date Matilda secretly, and  3. She's letting him off with a warning.  :P  Seemed plausible at the time, but I guess her trying to figure out if he's even really Lorenda's boyfriend makes more sense.
Please excuse the watermarked avatar.  I haven't bothered to fix it yet.  (Still, thanks to PetFriendAmy for the original pic!)

jeffh4

Quote from: Mischa on April 16, 2010, 02:57:02 PM
I think it's sweet that Kria's concerned about Dan's dietary habits.  After all of those years subsisting on just alcohol, he probably does need more vegetables in his diet.  :3
Hey, now!

Beer comes from hops and wheat, which were both green once and grew out of the ground, so they are very much like vegetables.  Don't believe me? Dan's got the facts!
http://missmab.com/Comics/Vol_305.php

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Mischa on April 16, 2010, 02:57:02 PM

Probably better than smashing them over Abel's head. Or shoving them up his nose...

Bjalf

Quote from: Infranscia on April 16, 2010, 03:29:34 PM
Quote from: Bjalf on April 16, 2010, 06:33:02 AMSaturday? Whatever they're watching here apparently runs on Saturdays.

Also, look at 1046 and 1048 - the date night was on Friday.  And since it's the next morning...

Sadly, the rabid fans (us) will now be calling out the days loudly and obnoxiously for each strip posted.

"Woo, it's Wednesday! Big day tomorrow!"
"No, it's still Tuesday, didn't you notice ..."
"What? When did Monday end?"
"No way, the sun is clearly ..."

:aack

Attic Rat

Newsflash! Demon children are forced to eat vegetables!!!

Thus, if your parents ever forced you to eat vegetables... You were raised by demons - and may even be a demon yourself!

However, if you find yourself attracted to the Application layer of the TCP/IP protocol suite, you may instead be a daemon.
Which would you like to be, ignorant or misled?