X-Com FPS remake announced

Started by TheJimTimMan, April 14, 2010, 10:41:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheJimTimMan

Or, as the new website calls it, XCOM. Lack of hyphenage is somehow slightly disturbing.

At this stage all I can say is that whether or not this turns out to be good, there is going to be rage. That fact makes me ever so slightly sad.

Corgatha Taldorthar

I don't care if this sucks.

I am so going to want to buy it.

I'll complain later if it's bad, but I'm still going to want it.

Anyone else dilly around on Superhuman till, say, a year and a half into the game? The Aliens start attacking your bases around twice a month for each base. It's at the same time fun and insane.

Someday, when we look back on this, we'll both laugh nervously and change the subject. More is good. All is better.

TheJimTimMan

While I'd like it very much to not be horrible, the wording of the release does little to inspire confidence in the direction the team is taking. That said, I'm on the edge of my seat for more info.

Tipod

I don't get why people are ever going to expect another X-Com that's as good as the first one; even Microprose couldn't outdo themselves.
"How is it that I should not worship Him who created me?"
"Indeed, I do not know why."

Corgatha Taldorthar

We're not expecting another X-Com that's as good as the original. But we're fanboyish enough to get what's coming out anyway :P (At least I am)
Someday, when we look back on this, we'll both laugh nervously and change the subject. More is good. All is better.

Ren Gaulen

An(other) action game set in the X-COM'verse? Some of us are still in therapy from the last one. Either way, this is just not right. An X-COM game that is not a strategy?
HERESY.

Vicorus

It won't be a true X-Com game unless your shots fire at a 75 degree angle to where you are actually pointing your weapon.

In all seriousness, however, I have to say, with the quality of Enforcer, and Interceptor, I'm not sure how to feel about this idea. On one hand, they may come out with something incredibly well made, and a worthy addition to the X-Com series, but on the other hand, they may not, as shown with the attempted deviations from the format made by the two aforementioned games. I'm not even sure if, in a case like this, there is a potential middle ground in terms of quality.

Ren Gaulen

Quote from: Vicorus on April 14, 2010, 12:14:18 PM
I'm not even sure if, in a case like this, there is a potential middle ground in terms of quality.
There is. A generic action game. Well made, but completely indistinguishable among dozens of others. :/

Turnsky

it's been a while, it's time to hand the reigns over to a new generation of gamers. besides, in depth tactical FPS would be a refreshing change, granted turn-based isometric has been gathering cobwebs over the years.

Dragons, it's what's for dinner... with gravy and potatoes, YUM!
Sparta? no, you should've taken that right at albuquerque..

TheJimTimMan

What doesn't seem to have been realised by 2K is that people want a new X-COM game- not another attempt to "re-imagine" the concept.

...I just want an X-COM game with up-to-date graphics and a refined/streamlined user interface. Is that too much to ask, O gods of gaming?  :<

Valynth

Quote from: TheJimTimMan on April 14, 2010, 05:34:33 PM
...I just want an X-COM game with up-to-date graphics and a refined/streamlined user interface. Is that too much to ask, O gods of gaming?  :<

Yes.

Next question.
The fate of the world always rests in the hands of an idiot.  You should start treating me better.
Chant for something good and it may happen
Chant for something bad and it will happen
C.O.D.:  Chronic high speed lead poisoning  (etch that on my grave)

Kafzeil

I have a neutral opinion on this game thus far. Besides, can we put away the torches and pitchforks? They mentioned First Person perspective, that's it. All we have on this game right now is a single paragraph and most likely beta phase screen shot.
Real men wear Hats.<br /><br />Raz: Lili! An evil madman is building a fleet of psycho-death tanks to take over the world, and we\'re the only ones who can stop him! <br />Lili Zanotto: OH MY GOD! Let\'s make out! -Psychonauts

ShadesFox

I view such things a equivalent to movie remakes.  Dimly by default.  I may revise my opinion with more details, but when I see remake I usually think that a dev studio is just trying to make a quick money grab.
The All Purpose Fox

Turnsky

Quote from: ShadesFox on April 14, 2010, 08:56:09 PM
I view such things a equivalent to movie remakes.  Dimly by default.  I may revise my opinion with more details, but when I see remake I usually think that a dev studio is just trying to make a quick money grab.

when EA wants more cash they just release another version of "The Sims"  :P

Dragons, it's what's for dinner... with gravy and potatoes, YUM!
Sparta? no, you should've taken that right at albuquerque..

Janus Whitefurr

An FPS has interesting potential. Take your typical setting, some open urban area before you start going into or blowing up structures around you. You proceed into the buildings, scouting carefully to avoid detection by aliens and ambushes. Weapon at the ready, you round a corner and come face to face with this little guy.

That is all.
This post has been brought to you by Bond. Janus Bond. And the Agency™. And possibly spy cameras.

ShadesFox

Depends.  If the game is good 'weapon at the ready' may mean, 'you have a pistol and desperately shoot it while desperately looking for ammo for bigger guns' or it could be a terrible game and mean, 'you shoot it with the bastard son of a shotgun and a bazooka, greasing it instantly with no danger to youself'. 
The All Purpose Fox