Of Steam and Steel: OOC (Steampunk RP, Mature) {Open}

Started by Lisky, February 28, 2010, 06:14:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sunblink

As a note I feel like I should apologize to Azlan and insidexml (and Mel?) in advance - Keaton's probably gonna act like a horrible prejudiced bitch to the Angels. :< Oh dear.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Basilisk on March 08, 2010, 08:39:43 AM
I also notice the Nhylamar has the largest population too...  >:]

I knew I should have put Seth in Voethfel  :rolleyes

QuoteI'm looking at getting the IC up either tomorrow or Wednesday.  Welcome aboard all who've been approved, and as always, if there's any major questions that you'd like answered, here, PM, Email, AIM or MSN all work.

I notice a lot of dissimilar vehicles - have you figured out how to take that into account?  Some are fast on land, some fly and then you've got the mech which is neither >:3

...maybe I should list a breakdown of the vehicles too...

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Lisky

I've actually taken a good deal into account, which is why, at least early on, we're looking at 2 or possibly 3 separate yet "parallel" parties.  Though there is intent to merge them after a few specific events take place. :3

As for being in Voethfel, it's probably the safest place to be at the moment :P

I support the demon race (usually with my hands)!   Also... LOOK A DISTRACTION! -->

techmaster-glitch

Quote from: Tapewolf on March 08, 2010, 10:05:20 AM
Quote from: Basilisk on March 08, 2010, 08:39:43 AM
I also notice the Nhylamar has the largest population too...  >:]
I knew I should have put Seth in Voethfel  :rolleyes
I'm actually surprised you didn't take Aelisium, not only for the clockwork mechs and power armor, but Bas was saying last night that they specifically condemn the use of souls as power, and soul-murder. Would've been right your alley...

Quote from: Tapewolf on March 08, 2010, 10:05:20 AM
I notice a lot of dissimilar vehicles - have you figured out how to take that into account?  Some are fast on land, some fly and then you've got the mech which is neither >:3

...maybe I should list a breakdown of the vehicles too...
That's made up for by, so far, being the most heavily-armed and armored thing anyone's got. And it's still less than an Aelis (who's mechs are the smallest on average) medium mech!

Tapewolf

Quote from: techmaster-glitch on March 08, 2010, 10:12:06 AM
I'm actually surprised you didn't take Aelisium, not only for the clockwork mecha sn power armor, but Bas was saying last night that they specifically condemn the use of souls as power and soul-murder. Would've been right your alley...

Yeah, if I had known that last, I would have seriously considered it.  However, there are a number of issues, which is why I'm not planning to change it.

1. My understanding is that while they may condemn soul-stealing, they also condemn people who happen to have wings on their heads.  I wanted to have it part of Sethir's design that he's upfront about being 'Cubi to try and gain people's trust rather than springing it on them later (hence my original question).

2. I've been thinking over Seth's attitudes and backstory and it's become a bit Nhylamar-centric.

3. I chose Voethfel as Seth's adopted homeland because it seemed to have the lowest use of souls of the three Creature-centric countries, though I could be wrong of course.

EDIT:
QuoteThat's made up for by, so far, being the most heavily-armed and armored thing anyon'es got. And it's still less than an Aelis (who's mechs are the smallest on average) medium mech!

True, but in terms of getting from A to B, it's going to be at a bit of a disadvantage.

techmaster-glitch

Quote from: Tapewolf on March 08, 2010, 10:21:02 AM
1. My understanding is that while they may condemn soul-stealing, they also condemn people who happen to have wings on their heads.  I wanted to have it part of Sethir's design that he's upfront about being 'Cubi to try and gain people's trust rather than springing it on them later (hence my original question).

2. I've been thinking over Seth's attitudes and backstory and it's become a bit Nhylamar-centric.

3. I chose Voethfel as Seth's adopted homeland because it seemed to have the lowest use of souls of the three Creature-centric countries, though I could be wrong of course.
Simple; make a Being, you cubi fanboi >:D

Quote from: Tapewolf on March 08, 2010, 10:21:02 AM
QuoteThat's made up for by, so far, being the most heavily-armed and armored thing anyon'es got. And it's still less than an Aelis (who's mechs are the smallest on average) medium mech!

True, but in terms of getting from A to B, it's going to be at a bit of a disadvantage.
Which is why it's got a wheeled mode.

Tapewolf

Arcalane

Quote from: Gabi on March 08, 2010, 07:23:06 AM
Wow, even if only half the players actually play, this game can be quite active. (And mysterious: we'd be wondering how we'd ended up with a half player).

Chainsaws. >:3

Quote from: Gabi on March 08, 2010, 07:23:06 AM
Anyway, why so many Cubi?

Fanboythings. :U

Gabi

Beings can be fun to play. You just have to work more on character development. But that's something I enjoy.

As for why I chose Nhylamar, it sounded like the first place a magically inclined being would think of when trying to find a new home in a rush. That said, Anabelle does not approve of soul-stealing, but she also believes that no place is perfect and it's best to do what you can with what you have. It's not like it would stop happening if she went elsewhere.
~~ Gabi a.k.a. Gliynn Starseed, APF ~~
Thanks to Silver for the yappities, and to everyone for being so great!
(12:28:12) llearch: Gabi is equal-opportunity friendly

Kafzeil

Quote from: Keaton the Black Jackal on March 08, 2010, 09:06:27 AM
As a note I feel like I should apologize to Azlan and insidexml (and Mel?) in advance - Keaton's probably gonna act like a horrible prejudiced bitch to the Angels. :< Oh dear.

When you put like that I somehow regret not making an Angel character, if only to watch Keaton and my character bounce off each other. Then again, I love do these kinds of things in RPs. I'm something of a masochist in that respect.
Real men wear Hats.<br /><br />Raz: Lili! An evil madman is building a fleet of psycho-death tanks to take over the world, and we\'re the only ones who can stop him! <br />Lili Zanotto: OH MY GOD! Let\'s make out! -Psychonauts

Sunblink

Quote from: Kafzeil on March 08, 2010, 02:30:19 PM
When you put like that I somehow regret not making an Angel character, if only to watch Keaton and my character bounce off each other. Then again, I love do these kinds of things in RPs. I'm something of a masochist in that respect.

Aw, you're right. That would've been fun. They'd be like angry ping-pong balls! >:3

Although to be fair, if most of the party constituted people that Keaton hated, she would probably be thrown out very quickly :P

Actually, she acted horribly to James StarRunner's character in Furrae Chronicles because of similar racial tension (James's character was an Angel), but Keaton's changed a bit in characterization since then so she's more tolerable. James is a nice guy so it was kind of weird having Keaton jab at him all the time.

Kafzeil

Quote from: Keaton the Black Jackal on March 08, 2010, 02:50:52 PM

Aw, you're right. That would've been fun. They'd be like angry ping-pong balls! >:3

Although to be fair, if most of the party constituted people that Keaton hated, she would probably be thrown out very quickly :P

Actually, she acted horribly to James StarRunner's character in Furrae Chronicles because of similar racial tension (James's character was an Angel), but Keaton's changed a bit in characterization since then so she's more tolerable. James is a nice guy so it was kind of weird having Keaton jab at him all the time.

I have used Lucy before, in other forms. She has undergone a lot of changes, most notably she calmer, but she tends to be sarcastic and snide to people she doesn't like. Generally though, you have to do something to piss her off first.

I have been brainingstorming a pair of ANgel characters. One of which would likely do little to qwell any sort of prejudices Keaton has. Kind of a Sinister Junkman/Con-Artist.  A total bastard. i imagine the party would toss him ouyt. Or frag him. :B
Real men wear Hats.<br /><br />Raz: Lili! An evil madman is building a fleet of psycho-death tanks to take over the world, and we\'re the only ones who can stop him! <br />Lili Zanotto: OH MY GOD! Let\'s make out! -Psychonauts

Gabi

You can always find another reason to jab each other. It's not so hard to get on Keaton's bad side (the character, not the player).
~~ Gabi a.k.a. Gliynn Starseed, APF ~~
Thanks to Silver for the yappities, and to everyone for being so great!
(12:28:12) llearch: Gabi is equal-opportunity friendly

Ghostwish

Quote from: Gabi on March 08, 2010, 03:57:08 PM
You can always find another reason to jab each other. It's not so hard to get on Keaton's bad side (the character, not the player).

Yes, beware the player. She'll steal your cookies.  :mowcookie

SpottedKitty

Quote from: Tapewolf on March 08, 2010, 07:40:02 AM

Beings: 6
Cubi: 6
Angel: 3 (counting Adelaide)
Undead: 1
Demon: 1

Given Zelah's twitchiness in the presence of people who are obviously Creatures, I can see the first few game-time "hours" of this being... interesting. <scribbles a few more character notes>
ENGLISH: A language that lurks in dark alleys, beats up other languages
and rifles through their pockets for spare vocabulary.

Tipod

Since that's the case, I'd love to see her reaction to Bart's almost "what very small children think Creatures look like" design (dark and lots of teeth).
"How is it that I should not worship Him who created me?"
"Indeed, I do not know why."

Azlan

Quote from: Keaton the Black Jackal on March 08, 2010, 09:06:27 AM

No worries, it seems to be shaping up to be interesting all around.
"Ha ha! The fun has been doubled!"

SpottedKitty

Quote from: Tipod on March 08, 2010, 06:25:37 PM

Since that's the case, I'd love to see her reaction to Bart

Possibly an intense desire to run (not walk) up the nearest tall object. Whatever or whoever that might be. I haven't yet worked out all the details of how thoroughly the fewmets have hit the windmill for Zelah over the last few days, but his nerves are definitely hanging by a thread.

llearch n'n'daCorna

Huh. Basilisk says this is okay. I think it needs more polish, but hey, look at that, we're outta time.

Enjoy.

-----
Name: Sir Cyril Whittington-Smythe the Fifth.
Nickname(s): Are you kidding? Nobody would be willing to admit to having given him one. Just in case.
Race: Angel
Species: Badger
Family: No family of his own, for reasons that will become apparent, but has a couple of  siblings spread around, who have families of their own. He does not stay in touch.

General Appearance:
Hair: A short fuzz of hair, coloured to match his mask.
Eyes: Navy blue.
Fur Coloration: He has the typical badger mask, only in his case, the darker colour is a deep navy blue, whereas the lighter colour is a lighter maroon. He is, as a result, just a little touchy about people calling it pink.
Appearance: Whittington-Smythe is particular and fastidious about his appearance. He manages to remain dapper, no matter the circumstances. He usually wears a white shirt, with the waistcoat and trousers of a dove grey suit (the jacket is in the back of his closet, and usually remains there; if he gets cold, he usually unmasks his wings and uses them to keep warm). He accessorises with a pale blue neckcloth, a gold pocketwatch on a chain, inlaid with a pattern in lapis lazuli, a gold and sapphire tiepin and matching cufflinks. On his feet are a pair of shiny patent leather shoes, polished to a high shine in almost any situation. And, finally, he has a top hat he brings out when he needs to really look the part.
His dapper appearance is kept in shape by a spell of his own devising. In order to actually damage his outfit, he needs to be extremely worn out first; unless, of course, he is persuaded otherwise.
Other than that, he's merely of average height, clocking in at a shade under five feet and six inches, but, as with most badgers, he is stocky in build, weighing about one hundred eighty pounds. He keeps in shape with a morning jog and some gym time every week.

Combat Abilities:
Strengths: Very, very strong magic defensively. Fairly strong magic offensively. And, of course, is exceptional at offending. Especially people he sees as stupid (see under weaknesses).
Weaknesses: Can't swim. Not a big deal, since he can freeze the water into ice, and kick off his shoes, using his claws to not slip. Or any of a number of other ways of resolving that problem.
Can't walk past a bookstore without going in and, usually, buying something. Often half the store, if he finds something he hasn't got.
Allergic to stupidity. And acerbic, too.
Weapon(s): Claws, not that he uses them much, not wanting to damage his careful manicure. Other than that, he uses magic as other people breathe.

History:
From Sevastia'Nyad, he teaches in one of the more prestigious, if not the _most_ prestigious (he'd argue it wasn't, but he's a bit opinionated) universities in the major educational city therein. Well, "teaches" might be a bit of a misnomer. He tends to take one or two students at a time, after they get a doctorate in his particular area, and puts a bit more polish on them. He only takes that few because he's among the very best, and there are few that can keep up with him. Much of his time is taken with research and development, along with various visits to the Sevastia'Nyad equivalent of the Department of Defence and defence contractors, although he's under various magical NDAs about it and won't tell you even if you ask.

His past includes some time spent learning about the machines that have been used against his home country, and how to break, twist, bend, mutilate, and spindle them and their operators, preferably without getting your own hands dirty. He is, however, willing to roll his sleeves up and take apart an engine or motor, should the opportunity be required, in order to learn how better to break it, next time. He has also spent a lot of time learning defensive spells, and, of course, since the best defence is a good offence, this includes a fair swathe of offensive spells. Particularly offensive, since he feels that properly rubbing someone's nose in their ineffectiveness on the battlefield makes them suitable chastened later in negotiations.

His parents left him fairly well off when they passed on, and, since this was a while ago, he's fairly well adjusted for an academic. He may, one day, meet a lady who impresses him enough to change his mind about being single, but so far, he's not met anyone.

Disposition: Keeps a stiff upper lip, and maintains a cheery disposition, in order to bolster the lower classes. After all, we can't let the workers know we're worried, can we?

Trivia:
Is always willing to teach someone. Providing they're willing to learn.
His pocketwatch is a link to hammerspace, one of several ways he has of reaching in. It's also a gift from a friend, which is why he keeps it, and convenient, unlike some of the other ways.
Drinks tea, usually pulled from the watch. May also pull scones, and cream, and jam, and sugar, etc, if he feels the need to be miserably superior; say, if someone's machine just broke, again. Unlike his magic. And he had nothing to do with the break, at all.
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Azlan

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on March 08, 2010, 08:25:29 PM

Name: Sir Cyril Whittington-Smythe the Fifth.

Funny thing with part of that name, I just played a Doctor Whittington Smythe in Doctor Who from Cubicle 7. 

I must say I like your sardonic chap.  He might possibly the best one to date.  Love the tea, scones, cream, jam, sugar, and such from hammerspace.  Nice touch.
"Ha ha! The fun has been doubled!"

Lisky

i think i'm going to call this closed for now... there are 18 current players, and with Keaton already claiming a slot, that's 19...

Hopefully interest isn't too overboard... i'll be opening the IC at some point tomorrow.

Welcome to the game, and hope you enjoy.

I support the demon race (usually with my hands)!   Also... LOOK A DISTRACTION! -->

WhiteFox

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on March 08, 2010, 08:25:29 PM
Appearance: Whittington-Smythe is particular and fastidious about his appearance. He manages to remain dapper, no matter the circumstances.

Come on down to the engine room some time! We got grease stains and coal dust for everyone!

I kid.
This is my pencil. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My pencil is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life...

llearch n'n'daCorna

Thanks, Azlan.

Whitefox, you wouldn't want him in your engine room. You'd find odd patches of rust in places that couldn't possibly rust (inside the firebox, while it's lit, for example. Or on copper. Or gold contacts...), on alternate mondays the fire would burn cold, no matter what you did to it, and when the moon was full the engine as a whole would run backwards at five minute intervals.

And you wouldn't be able to figure out how he'd done it to you, or even prove it was him. ;-]
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Tapewolf

In case anyone's interested I amended the breakdown on the assumption that Keaton uses Keaton as her character, which last I heard was the plan.  We now have 4 Angels and 7 'Cubi, so I guess Gabi's complaint was kind of justified  :P

Ghostwish

God dang head-winged buggers. Loony, the whole lot of em!

But not as near as loony as the players behind them. ;)

Paladin Sheppard

SpottedKitty

Quote from: Ghostwish on March 09, 2010, 09:18:22 AM

It took you this long to notice...?   ;)  :P

Ghostwish

Quote from: Paladin Sheppard on March 09, 2010, 09:56:40 AM
Hey! I resemble that remark :3

How strange. It seems I do as well. I sense a conspiracy. :O
Quote from: SpottedKitty on March 09, 2010, 01:41:40 PM

It took you this long to notice...?   ;)  :P

Hey!! Let's see you catch all pokemon and be so attentive at the same time! Huh? Huh? I didn't think so! :P

Lisky

on an unrelated note, i've got a rough map sketched out of the region.  It's in the northern hemisphere, and the arctic circle is just a smidge above the very top.  I'll get it colored, and add more details in the near future, but figured for reference sake, this would be helpful.

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e268/EWork88/OSaSmap.jpg

WhiteFox

Quote from: Ghostwish on March 09, 2010, 09:18:22 AM
God dang head-winged buggers. Loony, the whole lot of em!

I'll have you know, Gabriel is a perfectly ordinary joe. He isn't a 'cubi, for that matter.

Anyway... I've noticed the ones to look out for are people who have average, normal characters. The quiet ones are always have something to hide.  :paranoid
This is my pencil. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My pencil is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life...