02/15/10 [Clans #8] - Dimanika the... weird

Started by Sind, February 15, 2010, 04:26:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sind

Woot, My first post in the forums is making a thread for a comic update =o

Anyways, I have to say I'm happy about this clans "no kill" policy =D

Lego3400

This seems like a clan I could support. Goofyness for the win!

Shachza

"Quack Quack!"

Or, in layman's terms:

"If you don't understand, then we won't tell you!"

*nods sagely and winks*  Fortunately I do!
            <-- #1 that is!

Sind

Quote from: Lego3400 on February 15, 2010, 04:27:37 PM
This seems like a clan I could support. Goofyness for the win!

If I were to join this clan I'd just end up confusing myself =S

Wait, that would mean I could enjoy eating my own emotions XD

Jasonrevall

I love the little slots for the smaller wings on the skirt. Also that hand is her tail? How cool, better than a prehensile one.
Forward ever onward upward aiming skyward.

techmaster-glitch

...Y'know, last night during the webcast, Amber challenged the viewers to guess the emotion or species of this clan leader. If someone managed to guess it, they would have gotten a free sketch from her.

As I was watching everyone toss out guesses with no success, I thought "Hmm...confusion? ...Nahhhh, that's Abel's emotion, that's too simple..."

:B

Tapewolf

Oh, I like their attitude.

EDIT:

...weren't these the guys who went around wreaking vengeance upon Pyroduck's dad?
With their no-kill policy (suspended during the war) it would explain why they were happy about Fa'Lina's decision to spare Pyroduck.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

entropicage

Huh... Is it me, or is it maybe this is the clan that Abel looks so much like? Maybe?

Also, damn, that's some useful shapeshifting, to turn the tail into another hand. I love this little mouse cubi!

SpottedKitty

I just realised where I've seen that clan marking before — on Change, the shape-shifting instructor we saw just before Fa'Lina summoned Abel to her office. Very apt.

And I'm sure I've come across the name Dimanika before, but I can't remember where. Argh, I'm so confused... oh, wait...   :rolleyes

Saved by the previous post. It was in Pyroduck's story of how he came to be with Fa'Lina.
ENGLISH: A language that lurks in dark alleys, beats up other languages
and rifles through their pockets for spare vocabulary.

Sind

Quote from: entropicage on February 15, 2010, 04:55:17 PM
Huh... Is it me, or is it maybe this is the clan that Abel looks so much like? Maybe?

Well, Abel's affinity IS confusion, though it isn't his natural affinity

techmaster-glitch

Quote from: Sind on February 15, 2010, 05:13:16 PM
Quote from: entropicage on February 15, 2010, 04:55:17 PM

Well, Abel's affinity IS confusion, though it isn't his natural affinity
whoa....WHOA.

http://www.missmab.com/Comics/Ab_013.php
"I mean...you've seen him, right? The wings. The eyes. He looks just like them!"

http://www.missmab.com/Comics/Ab_021.php
"It has been two thousand years since there has been a student with such a combination of wings and eyes at this academy."

Soo...what does the plan of Aniz of the clan Siar have to do with making his son emulate...something that clan Diminika is somehow related to? (Incidentally, the clan that is ultimately responsible for Pyroduck being raised the way he was?) I won't say that this directly involves Clan Dim, because we don't know that for a fact yet...we just know that they're sharing common traits.

Go go gadget Forumite Wild Theory Machine!

Lucheek

Quote from: techmaster-glitch on February 15, 2010, 04:35:12 PM
...Y'know, last night during the webcast, Amber challenged the viewers to guess the emotion or species of this clan leader. If someone managed to guess it, they would have gotten a free sketch from her.

As I was watching everyone toss out guesses with no success, I thought "Hmm...confusion? ...Nahhhh, that's Abel's emotion, that's too simple..."

People who missed it also missed me making a complete jackass out of myself. @_@

Ted Schiller

The Cheerleader Clan  :)

By any chance, are they on particularly good terms with the Fae?   :paranoid

Quote from: MinkAll members of Clan Dimanika have an innate ability to control and move their own shadow independently.

Aha.  Peter Pan, we're on to you now.   :P

Quote from: Drayco84 on February 15, 2010, 06:17:57 PM
(snip quoted post)
(snip)
The phrase "Others just simply assume the clan is just simply loony" is awkward as heck, and that's my only nitpick.
(snip)
We are reading a report turned in with twenty seconds to spare.
So this is just another of the awesome characterizations by Mrs. Williams.   :kittycool

Does the Dimanika clan have a member named Captain Sam Starfall?   :mowninja

With regards,
Ted

Tapewolf

Quote from: techmaster-glitch on February 15, 2010, 05:40:32 PM
"I mean...you've seen him, right? The wings. The eyes. He looks just like them!"

That had me buying into it at first, but, while the colours are startlingly similar and we can't see her eyes, the wing structure is different.  Abel has a mix of Angel and Demon wings.  Dimanika has Angel wings, albeit with a similar colour scheme to Abel's and similar fur colouring to Siar.

On a slightly different topic, Keaton pointed out something that rather intrigued me:

http://missmab.com/Comics/Vol_508.php

...here we have "Clan Orange" (as seen on the elephant girl in AS2), Clan Cyra on the right, Clan Fa'Lina at the top, and apparently Clan Taun at the bottom.  Plus a few as-yet unidentified ones.  Dimanika's isn't there, though.

Lucheek

You know, Clan Dimanica is probaly on pretty good terms with Pheonix Oracles.

bradypodidae

Quote from: Lucheek on February 15, 2010, 05:56:56 PM
You know, Clan Dimanica is probably on pretty good terms with Phoenix Oracles.

...they probably run the Union...
Heroic adventuring at the speed of slow.
Never mistake kindness as a sign of weakness.
Not a complete idiot, parts missing.

Dropping Proeliator from the name was way overdue.

Avi by Tabi

USMC

Techcubi

Tapewolf

So... if the Dimanika have a strict policy of not killing anyone, does that mean that they are one of the few clans whose leader ascended without using souls to affect the process?
Or did she decide that killing was bad afterwards?

entropicage

Quote from: Tapewolf on February 15, 2010, 05:54:28 PM
Quote from: techmaster-glitch on February 15, 2010, 05:40:32 PM

That had me buying into it at first, but, while the colours are startlingly similar and we can't see her eyes, the wing structure is different.  Abel has a mix of Angel and Demon wings.  Dimanika has Angel wings, albeit with a similar colour scheme to Abel's and similar fur colouring to Siar.

Ah, right you are... Hmmmmm. Can't blame me for being hopeful, maybe?

Tapewolf

Quote from: entropicage on February 15, 2010, 06:08:04 PM
Ah, right you are... Hmmmmm. Can't blame me for being hopeful, maybe?
Indeed no.  I'd suspect Amber was trying to muddy the waters anyway  :P

FSharp

Neat. So I'm guessing in 1070 & 1071 that's actually Dimanika's living shadow?
"To leave the world a bit better, whether by a healthy child, a garden patch, or a redeemed social condition; To know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived. This is to have succeeded." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Drayco84

Quote from: Lucheek on February 15, 2010, 05:48:09 PM
Quote from: techmaster-glitch on February 15, 2010, 04:35:12 PM

People who missed it also missed me making a complete jackass out of myself. @_@

Aw, dang... It's nicer to see other people make jackasses out of themselves than to do it yourself...

A cute-looking girl cubi in a schoolgirl outfit with her own tentacles... MAKES PERFECT SENSE TO ME! (I'll bet they go after those infamously naughty tentacle monsters just for kicks...)

The phrase "Others just simply assume the clan is just simply loony" is awkward as heck, and that's my only nitpick. But, since the clan has a no-kill policy, I fail to see where clans DO kill beings on occasion, and REGULARLY kill beings due to it being part of the feeding process.

And by any chance, since I looked through part of the archives and found this: http://www.missmab.com/Comics/Ab_020.php does Macha look like this:

Or perhaps this:

Or maybe even this:

Hey... Wait a sec... SHE HAS NOTHING COVERING HER NAUGHTY BITS IN THAT LAST IMAGE!!! AAAAAAUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGH!!!
Oh, wait... She's really an AI and thus doesn't HAVE any naughty bits... *Runs out of topic.*

SpottedKitty

Quote from: Tapewolf on February 15, 2010, 05:54:28 PM

http://missmab.com/Comics/Vol_508.php

...here we have "Clan Orange" (as seen on the elephant girl in AS2), Clan Cyra on the right, Clan Fa'Lina at the top, and apparently Clan Taun at the bottom.  Plus a few as-yet unidentified ones.

Beside the Taun marking, is that the purple moon of whatever Aary's clan is (did we ever find out?) or is that it continuing above the big speech bubble? And in blue above the sword, that's the "rabbit" marking seen on the dreaded Home-Ec teacher. We can't see enough of the yellow and green ones to be sure of them, though.
ENGLISH: A language that lurks in dark alleys, beats up other languages
and rifles through their pockets for spare vocabulary.

Mao

Ah, now this is a clan I can get into.  A bit of confusion is good for ya'.

Mrs_A_ZeTavia

AH, GREAT GODS I HAVE FOUND MY CLAN AT LAST!!!! :bow

RandomMetaphysics

Woooooo! New page :mowhappy
Hrmmmm a "no kill" policy, eh? Well, although many details about ascension remain unclear, if I recall correctly, one does not need souls to perform the ritual... it just makes the process easier. Which makes me wonder... just how difficult is the ritual if one does not use souls?

Heh heh. Confusion... this is, by far, one of my favorite clans revealed thus far :)

Tapewolf

Quote from: RandomMetaphysics on February 15, 2010, 06:41:12 PM
Woooooo! New page :mowhappy
Hrmmmm a "no kill" policy, eh? Well, although many details about ascension remain unclear, if I recall correctly, one does not need souls to perform the ritual... it just makes the process easier. Which makes me wonder... just how difficult is the ritual if one does not use souls?

Supposedly a couple of leaders did ascend that way.  On the other hand it's possible she had a change of heart after ascending.

QuoteHeh heh. Confusion... this is, by far, one of my favorite clans revealed thus far :)
Well, I still have a big thing for Taun's clan, since I've long liked the idea of a 'Cubi turned adventurer and an entire clan of them sent me into raptures of delight which have still not worn off.  But Clan Dimanika has just become a very close second.

MT Hazard

I do wonder how far you can push a particular emotion before it collapses , for example, confusion if pushed far enough could simply turn in anger, fear or apathy.

I guess the cubi have a lot of experience in 'emotion wrangling' to stop their meal becoming 'bitter'  (or sour).
Grammar and I Don't always get on.

Link of the moment:  Sleepless domain (web comic) 

Caswin

Oh, I like this one. (Commentary from a friend of mine on the off chance of an encounter with an adventurer: "I am here to stop your evil ways!" "Oh, okay. But first, would you like to buy some butter?  It's delicious and buttery!  It's butterlicious!" "...?")

Will there be anything on Primadi, or is this on current clan leaders only?
Quote from: DamarisThis is the most freaking civil "flame war" I have ever seen in my life.
Yap yap.

RandomMetaphysics

Quote from: Tapewolf on February 15, 2010, 07:05:07 PM
Supposedly a couple of leaders did ascend that way.  On the other hand it's possible she had a change of heart after ascending.

I agree, the details of how each Clan leader ascended are unclear. She very well may have had a change of heart. However, if a clan leader killed people (what's more for power) only to forbid it later on, isn't that being a hypocrite? Meh, I say let's just drop the subject for now. I have a feeling in the near future more details about the Cubi leaders will be revealed.

Quote from: Tapewolf on February 15, 2010, 07:05:07 PMWell, I still have a big thing for Taun's clan, since I've long liked the idea of a 'Cubi turned adventurer and an entire clan of them sent me into raptures of delight which have still not worn off.  But Clan Dimanika has just become a very close second.

Taun was also one of my favorites. I mean, they're a clan of mercenaries and adventurers. A Cubi can read minds and emotions, shape-shift, and even make armor out of their wings. Taun's clan utilizes these natural gifts and even trains them in the art of battle. The Cubi of Taun's clan are like all-purpose soldiers.

Quote from: Caswin on February 15, 2010, 08:49:11 PM
Oh, I like this one. (Commentary from a friend of mine on the off chance of an encounter with an adventurer: "I am here to stop your evil ways!" "Oh, okay. But first, would you like to buy some butter?  It's delicious and buttery!  It's butterlicious!" "...?")

Will there be anything on Primadi, or is this on current clan leaders only?

According to Mink, there are two requirements. The Cubi clan leader must be alive and active. The first requirement is pretty simple, but I believe the term "active" is up to interpretation. From what I've seen, the leader must be influencing the world of Furrae in some way.