02/05/10 [PF#100] - Going right through the references

Started by Corgatha Taldorthar, February 05, 2010, 06:02:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Corgatha Taldorthar

900 million gold dollars? I guess they're still not as advanced as things are on earth, if they're still tying their currency to metals.

I dunno, something about the phrasing in the far-future setting made me chuckle.
Someday, when we look back on this, we'll both laugh nervously and change the subject. More is good. All is better.

llearch n'n'daCorna

Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Tapewolf

Quote from: Corgatha Taldorthar on February 05, 2010, 06:02:28 PM
900 million gold dollars? I guess they're still not as advanced as things are on earth, if they're still tying their currency to metals.

Furrae has various settlements with radically different levels of technological and social advance.  Gold coins won't work so well in a modern area, dollars (see DMFA #630) won't work in a medieval area.  So I hedged my bets  >:3

**EDIT**

I forgot to mention that while I was colouring the comic I was listening to Threshold's "Psychedelicatessen" album, with the bonus track "Intervention".
So while listening to a harrowing song about the atrocities carried out during the war in Bosnia, I was giggling like an idiot about this expression:
http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k216/tapewolf/projectfuture/pf100-6.png

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Zedd

That's a heavy price to pay,but I am sure in someones checkbook that be like easy money...Savings are good to have

Ren Gaulen

"..Another nine hundred million dollars down the drain."

Gabi

~~ Gabi a.k.a. Gliynn Starseed, APF ~~
Thanks to Silver for the yappities, and to everyone for being so great!
(12:28:12) llearch: Gabi is equal-opportunity friendly

SpottedKitty

ENGLISH: A language that lurks in dark alleys, beats up other languages
and rifles through their pockets for spare vocabulary.

Zedd

Madmann135

Yes, I do post just to see my own words on the screen.

Ren Gaulen

Chakat Blackspots

Quote from: Corgatha Taldorthar on February 05, 2010, 06:02:28 PM

I dunno, something about the phrasing in the far-future setting made me chuckle.

I guess you don't realize that not tying ones currency to metals allows a gov't to print money without limit, intentionally deflating the value of the currency (makes it easier for the gov't to pay back debt).

I guess Joshua probably cost that much because of the state of the art tech used in him.  Though its probably more hush money than anything else.

Tapewolf

Quote from: kusanagi-sama on February 07, 2010, 02:34:53 PM
I guess Joshua probably cost that much because of the state of the art tech used in him.  Though its probably more hush money than anything else.

Jakob is thinking in terms of punitive damages rather than Joshua's net worth, because if Joshua had been killed it would still have been murder in Jakob's eyes even if Josh hadn't been legally recognised as alive.

AmigaDragon

Quote from: Gabi on February 05, 2010, 07:26:28 PM
Funny that they should be called 'dollars'.

I'm guessing it's just a convenience for the author(s), instead of making up one or more currency names.

Stepping away from Furrae, you might find this of interest.
"Cogito, ergo es. I think, therefore you is." Ray D. Tutto (King of the Moon) to Baron Munschaussen

Gabi

Curious.

Our local currency is the peso, which literally means "weight".
~~ Gabi a.k.a. Gliynn Starseed, APF ~~
Thanks to Silver for the yappities, and to everyone for being so great!
(12:28:12) llearch: Gabi is equal-opportunity friendly

llearch n'n'daCorna

Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Tapewolf

Ren was hoping to have the comic inked tonight, unfortunately it looks like his 'net connection went down instead.  If he's out for an extended period I do have some filler, but it doesn't look like we'll be updating tonight at this rate.

ChaosMageX

Quote from: Tapewolf on February 12, 2010, 03:02:03 PM
Ren was hoping to have the comic inked tonight, unfortunately it looks like his 'net connection went down instead.  If he's out for an extended period I do have some filler, but it doesn't look like we'll be updating tonight at this rate.

Speaking of filler, I need to finish that other filler of the Ja'Fell family tree/portrait.  Unfortunately, college has kept me super busy lately.

I need to make those fixes to the sketch of Mordrith, Julei, and Salomere, ink each of them, and get them to you.

...And then draw Dorcan, Linda, and Sydney and ink them too.

Icon by Sunblink

Turnsky

y'know, we can one day hope that Ren has a better 'net connect than two cans and a piece of string.  :<

Dragons, it's what's for dinner... with gravy and potatoes, YUM!
Sparta? no, you should've taken that right at albuquerque..

ChaosMageX

Quote from: Turnsky on February 13, 2010, 08:48:39 AM
Ren was hoping to have the comic inked tonight, unfortunately it looks like his 'net connection went down instead.  If he's out for an extended period I do have some filler, but it doesn't look like we'll be updating tonight at this rate.

y'know, we can one day hope that Ren has a better 'net connect than two cans and a piece of string.  :<

Yeah.  I mean, there are so many options out there now.  Even satellite connections, including HughesNet, seem to be more reliable than whatever connection Ren has now, to say nothing of DSL and cable, which he should go for first if either are already available where he lives.

Hey, maybe he should get a 3G smart phone and transfer the line-art files to it before sending them to Tapewolf.  Even that would be more reliable than what he does now, especially on Verizon.
From how often his connection fails, even AT&T's horribly spotty 3G network would be more reliable.

If he does get a smart phone, then it really should be from Verizon, since they definitely get 3G service in more places and regular service in even more places, including near dead-zone that is the Texas hill country.

Icon by Sunblink

Tapewolf

Quote from: ChaosMageX on February 13, 2010, 10:07:05 AM
Yeah.  I mean, there are so many options out there now.  Even satellite connections, including HughesNet, seem to be more reliable than whatever connection Ren has now, to has nothing of DSL and cable.

It's an ADSL line.  Do remember that he's living in one of the most expensive cities in the world, though - a better link is probably somewhat beyond his means.

QuoteHey, maybe he should get a 3G smart phone and transfer the line-art files to it before sending them to Tapewolf.  Even that would be more reliable than what he does now, especially on Verizon.

I dread to think how much it would cost.  I'm paying £15/mo for a 3G data link that I use as a backup, when I'm travelling or occasionally to check my messages on FA while at work.
While they do seem to have set up a 3G network (last year!) I doubt it would be cheap.  It would be handy for him to have as a backup plan, though.

QuoteFrom how often his connection fails, even AT&T's horribly spotty 3G network would be more reliable.

Also, mobile operators in the UK tend to compress image data.  He'd have to zip it up first or something to prevent the line-art dissolving into JPEG artifacts.

QuoteIf he does get a smart phone, then it really should be from Verizon, since they definitely get 3G service in more places and regular service in even more places, including near dead-zone that is the Texas hill country.
Are you sure that would work in the Russian Federation?

ChaosMageX

Quote from: Tapewolf on February 13, 2010, 10:27:32 AM
Yeah.  I mean, there are so many options out there now.  Even satellite connections, including HughesNet, seem to be more reliable than whatever connection Ren has now, to has nothing of DSL and cable.

It's an ADSL line.  Do remember that he's living in one of the most expensive cities in the world, though - a better link is probably somewhat beyond his means.

And what city would that be?

QuoteHey, maybe he should get a 3G smart phone and transfer the line-art files to it before sending them to Tapewolf.  Even that would be more reliable than what he does now, especially on Verizon.

I dread to think how much it would cost.  I'm paying £15/mo for a 3G data link that I use as a backup, when I'm travelling or occasionally to check my messages on FA while at work.
While they do seem to have set up a 3G network (last year!) I doubt it would be cheap.  It would be handy for him to have as a backup plan, though.

Wow, at current exchange rates, that's about $23.50, which is cheaper than my phone service.
My service costs about $30/month, but it's worth it for the wide range of service coverage I get, and for someone who's lived with dial-up most of his life, even Verizon's 3G seems quite fast to me.

QuoteFrom how often his connection fails, even AT&T's horribly spotty 3G network would be more reliable.

Also, mobile operators in the UK tend to compress image data.  He'd have to zip it up first or something to prevent the line-art dissolving into JPEG artifacts.

That would probably make it smaller and easier to transmit anyway.

QuoteIf he does get a smart phone, then it really should be from Verizon, since they definitely get 3G service in more places and regular service in even more places, including near dead-zone that is the Texas hill country.
Are you sure that would work in the Russian Federation?

I'm not sure if Russia has 3G, and if it does, the roaming charges would be ENORMOUS.  That's why I'd just turn my phone off completely when visiting a foreign country, unless I was expecting some important business calls, in which case I would try my best to keep them brief.

Icon by Sunblink

Tapewolf

Quote from: ChaosMageX on February 13, 2010, 01:20:03 PM
Central Moscow.

QuoteThat would probably make it smaller and easier to transmit anyway.
Yes, and that's why they do it.  However, you can barely make out the thumbnails on FA - the end result would not be usable for a comic.

Look at the bottom-left panel of this:
http://www.project-future.org/strip.php?strip=77
...that's the sort of quality we're talking, minus the bit where the datastream breaks.

QuoteI'm not sure if Russia has 3G, and if it does, the roaming charges would be ENORMOUS.  That's why I'd just turn my phone off completely when visiting a foreign country, unless I was expecting some important business calls, in which case I would try my best to keep them brief.

I'm still trying to figure out what to do about phone connectivity for Anthrocon.  However, the mobile broadband SIM card is definitely staying at home, since the roaming charge outside the UK is £5/megabyte.  Anyway, that's another story.

ChaosMageX

Quote from: Tapewolf on February 13, 2010, 01:31:35 PM
Quote from: ChaosMageX on February 13, 2010, 01:20:03 PM
Central Moscow.

OMG!  Ren is Russian?!  That's so awesome!  Now I wonder if they really have 3G in Russia...

...According to Google, Russia has Mobile TeleSystems (MTS), which has 3G capability.
Another article says that Moscow even has WiMax, which is a 4G network. :D

As long as Ren stays in Moscow, he can get great phone reception and super high speed internet.  I doubt WiMax compresses the images as much as 3G, but it probably costs twice as much. :P
Also, the problem is that WiMax and LTE (the better 4G solution) aren't exactly compatible with each other, so phones designed for LTE probably won't work there. :(

QuoteThat would probably make it smaller and easier to transmit anyway.
Yes, and that's why they do it.  However, you can barely make out the thumbnails on FA - the end result would not be usable for a comic.

Look at the bottom-left panel of this:
http://www.project-future.org/strip.php?strip=77
...that's the sort of quality we're talking, minus the bit where the datastream breaks.

*Hisses painfully.*  Ooooh, it's that bad.  I look at webcomics all the time on my Moto Droid, but they never look that crappy.  I guess that's another good thing I can say about the Verizon network, which also makes it worth the cost.

QuoteI'm not sure if Russia has 3G, and if it does, the roaming charges would be ENORMOUS.  That's why I'd just turn my phone off completely when visiting a foreign country, unless I was expecting some important business calls, in which case I would try my best to keep them brief.

I'm still trying to figure out what to do about phone connectivity for Anthrocon.  However, the mobile broadband SIM card is definitely staying at home, since the roaming charge outside the UK is £5/megabyte.  Anyway, that's another story.

Still, SIM cards are what make European cell phones superior to American ones, since you can mix and match your phone model with your service provider, and you're not just limited to the models given by your service provider.

Have you seen anyone carrying around a Motorola Milestone?  That's what they call the Droid over there.  If you can show me what a picture looks like in the browser in that phone model over there, I'll be able to tell whether or not Verizon is compressing my images in any way.

Icon by Sunblink

Sprocketsdance

Yeah.. I'd think a major thing to think of.. is the cost of reliable high-speed internet. Some people can't afford it :3 like me XP

and as long as we're not paying Ren.. I'm not complaining.

Tapewolf

Quote from: wuffnpuff on February 13, 2010, 02:02:08 PM
and as long as we're not paying Ren.. I'm not complaining.

Paying him is unfortunately non-trivial, otherwise we might have been able to do some kind of collection to get him to AC this year.

By the way, I have the line-art now.  It was indeed a 'net access problem.

Ren Gaulen

I return. As Tapewolf guessed, my internet connection went down again. As soon as it was restored, I have sent the lineart to Tape, though, so the comic should be ready soon.
Now, my net provider is technically pretty good, and my internet is pretty fast and all, but sometimes net connection inexplicably fails. And no, I cannot afford a smart phone at the moment. Or anythime soon, for that matter.. I'm sorry, guys, but you'll have to bear with me. My sporadic disappearing is something beyond my control.

Chakat Blackspots

Quote from: Turnsky on February 13, 2010, 08:48:39 AM
Ren was hoping to have the comic inked tonight, unfortunately it looks like his 'net connection went down instead.  If he's out for an extended period I do have some filler, but it doesn't look like we'll be updating tonight at this rate.

y'know, we can one day hope that Ren has a better 'net connect than two cans and a piece of string.  :<

Yeah.  I mean, there are so many options out there now.  Even satellite connections, including HughesNet, seem to be more reliable than whatever connection Ren has now, to say nothing of DSL and cable, which he should go for first if either are already available where he lives.

Hey, maybe he should get a 3G smart phone and transfer the line-art files to it before sending them to Tapewolf.  Even that would be more reliable than what he does now, especially on Verizon.
From how often his connection fails, even AT&T's horribly spotty 3G network would be more reliable.

If he does get a smart phone, then it really should be from Verizon, since they definitely get 3G service in more places and regular service in even more places, including near dead-zone that is the Texas hill country.

HughesNet isn't something you really want to use.  Satellite internet with high delays and low data limits (1GB a month I believe), and if you go over that limit, they slow you down to dialup speeds.

Turnsky

Quote from: Ren Gaulen on February 13, 2010, 02:26:53 PM
I return. As Tapewolf guessed, my internet connection went down again. As soon as it was restored, I have sent the lineart to Tape, though, so the comic should be ready soon.
Now, my net provider is technically pretty good, and my internet is pretty fast and all, but sometimes net connection inexplicably fails. And no, I cannot afford a smart phone at the moment. Or anythime soon, for that matter.. I'm sorry, guys, but you'll have to bear with me. My sporadic disappearing is something beyond my control.

you're too TROMBE!! for your ISP *nods*  :P

Dragons, it's what's for dinner... with gravy and potatoes, YUM!
Sparta? no, you should've taken that right at albuquerque..

Tapewolf

Since the update notice has now been bumped, I'll point out that the new strip is finally done.  And I'm sure I'll have to explain the whole 'glue' business in the morning.

inuhanyo

Quote from: Tapewolf on February 07, 2010, 02:48:56 PM
Quote from: kusanagi-sama on February 07, 2010, 02:34:53 PM
I guess Joshua probably cost that much because of the state of the art tech used in him.  Though its probably more hush money than anything else.

Jakob is thinking in terms of punitive damages rather than Joshua's net worth, because if Joshua had been killed it would still have been murder in Jakob's eyes even if Josh hadn't been legally recognised as alive.
And if the lawyers challenge it, he can point out that Joshua's body is the first operational prototype, and none of the R&D costs have been amortized.