Started by Zaejue, January 23, 2010, 10:05:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

iceick

Quote from: Techcubi on January 25, 2010, 06:21:36 PM
Quote from: iceick on January 25, 2010, 06:15:10 PM
Quote from: Techcubi on January 25, 2010, 06:07:08 PM
Quote from: Grey Wolf on January 25, 2010, 06:01:00 PM
Quote from: Techcubi on January 25, 2010, 05:44:26 PM
Why the heck would Abel be gay? After all, even though it's been hundreds of years, he has at one point feared being Sodomized.

Well, yes, but I think it was less "I'm not gay!" and more "I don't wanna be raped!".
Biiiig difference between that and consensual sex, you know.

Still, why would people think he's gay? Is every somewhat feminine man considered gay?
Your question can be answered here

...How does a guy with a feminine hairstyle getting hit on by a guy who thinks he's a girl explain anything except that guys with long hair are sometimes confused for girls?
Well he is somewhat feminine with his hair.

Les

Abel is indeed a 'Fancy Lad', and in stories and media audiences tend to expect their fancy lads to fancy other lads.  :boogie

That being said, I think there is something to this theory that Abel is actually asexual or 'undecided'.  Remember, he is a well-practiced 'emotion-jammer' and uses that skill to keep people at a distance in SAIA, his 'fanciness' could be another part of the same 'keep people the hell away' skillset.  Keep in mind that while out here on the wild weird and often fluffy outskirts of the Intertronz Abel may be The New Hotness out in the mainstream his affectations would be more likely to weird people out than attract them.

If that is the case, I wonder what Amber thinks of the resulting, "[Amber] Oooh, I have this great idea for an aloof and standoffish character who acts over-the-top flirty and teasey and immodest and uses shapeshifting to magnify all of the above.  Everybody will be creeped-out being in the same room with him!"

"[Abel] Hi."

"[Fandom] *LUST!*"

:P :U
Long live Space Race, Long live... Molvania!

Bjalf

Still, why would people think he's gay? Is every somewhat feminine man considered gay?

It's not a question of "gay or not", it's more a question of "how much". Very few people are 100% one or the other, and were I to believe the tabloids, then most human males are not only "bi", but "omni" (if it moves ...).

I don't think his perceived femininity is the issue here, he has just not publicly stated his preferences, and just about everybody else have.

I think Abel's just hesitant to form emotional attachments, I really cannot imagine a 400-year-old virgin incubus.

Edit: And Abel does fit the stereotype. He cooks, he's well-dressed, and ... that's all I got.  :B

Les

The fact that he can nonchalantly grow boobs like it's no big deal does seem to complicate questions of Abel's sexuality.   :3

Bjalf

Quote from: Les on January 26, 2010, 02:54:26 AM
The fact that he can nonchalantly grow boobs like it's no big deal does seem to complicate questions of Abel's sexuality.   :3

Yeah, and if he was a manly man, he'd grow the manly bits.

Ry

Quote from: jeffh4 on January 24, 2010, 05:16:07 PMTo quote John Cusack from "The Sure Thing":  Reeeeppprreeeeeesssseeddd!    :)
:rolleyes  Because I'm not wanting to look at genitals totally means I'm ashamed of sex.

The fact that he can nonchalantly grow boobs like it's no big deal does seem to complicate questions of Abel's sexuality.   :3
Nonchalantly grows boobs and forgets to grow a shirt as well (although that could just be that he's so used to walking around shirtless).  And he didn't just grow breasts- he got the curves going and who knows what else.  Whatever Abel is- he seems pretty damn uninhibited.
I also utterly adored the "What would make you think I'm not a guy?" when he met Lorenda en femme.

Les

Quote from: Ry on January 26, 2010, 04:55:34 AM
Quote from: jeffh4 on January 24, 2010, 05:16:07 PMTo quote John Cusack from "The Sure Thing":  Reeeeppprreeeeeesssseeddd!    :)
:rolleyes  Because I'm not wanting to look at genitals totally means I'm ashamed of sex.

There is however a noticeably difference between reactions like, "Oy, pants, how 'bout it?" and, "AAAAAIEEEE!  The Horror, the horror."  :P

The fact that he can nonchalantly grow boobs like it's no big deal does seem to complicate questions of Abel's sexuality.   :3
Nonchalantly grows boobs and forgets to grow a shirt as well (although that could just be that he's so used to walking around shirtless).  And he didn't just grow breasts- he got the curves going and who knows what else.  Whatever Abel is- he seems pretty damn uninhibited.
I also utterly adored the "What would make you think I'm not a guy?" when he met Lorenda en femme.

Aaaah the joys of gender-subversiveness.   :giggle

Ry

Quote from: Les on January 26, 2010, 05:45:48 AMThere is however a noticeably difference between reactions like, "Oy, pants, how 'bout it?" and, "AAAAAIEEEE!  The Horror, the horror."  :P
:P  With a friend (and I'm assuming Henya was his friend), I'd go with 'aaieee the horror, the horror'.  With a stranger I'd just roll my eyes and look away, depending on the context I might even chuckle.

QuoteAaaah the joys of gender-subversiveness.   :giggle
I definitely agree.  I'm glad I'm not the only one who appreciates it.   :3

AmigaDragon

Quote from: Techcubi on January 25, 2010, 06:21:36 PM
...How does a guy with a feminine hairstyle getting hit on by a guy who thinks he's a girl explain anything except that guys with long hair are sometimes confused for girls?

It means they need glasses to see more than the long hair. :mowhappy
"Cogito, ergo es. I think, therefore you is." Ray D. Tutto (King of the Moon) to Baron Munschaussen

iceick

Of course, whenever I grow my hair long, people kept saying "Excuse me ma'am" when coming up behind me.

e_voyager

there really is the chance that able is just a big tease you know.
I thank Silver Fox and Tiger_T for the wonderful Yappies.  all around the universe powers learned to hiss and curse at this, my creation but am i real or pure creation?
 I'm never where i was, rarely where i want to be, but always were i am needed.
 this world is not my own. but some how i wish that i could belong. Blame It On Boxey

inuhanyo

Quote from: Bjalf on January 26, 2010, 02:37:19 AM
I think Abel's just hesitant to form emotional attachments, I really cannot imagine a 400-year-old virgin incubus.

I'd use a stronger word than "hesitant", myself.
strip 742
Fa'Lina:"Say Abel ... ever consider not pushing everone away while you're here?"
Abel:"Why not?  I'll be gone in a year or two."
Fa'Lina:"You don't even want to try and make friends with anyone?"
Abel:"Please Fa'Lina. I turned being alone into an art at the Academy.  After hundreds of years, there's nothing I can't handle."

As Abel's story continues, we'll learn the reasons for Abel's avoidance of all relationships,.  Giving Aniz no purchase for threats is one.

LionHeart

It's not a question of "gay or not", it's more a question of "how much". Very few people are 100% one or the other, and were I to believe the tabloids, then most human males are not only "bi", but "omni" (if it moves ...).

I don't think his perceived femininity is the issue here, he has just not publicly stated his preferences, and just about everybody else have.

Edit: And Abel does fit the stereotype. He cooks, he's well-dressed, and ... that's all I got.  :B

And not once has he been seen drinking beer or ogling scantily-clad women....
"3x2(9yz)4a!"

"We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!"

I'm on deviantART.
Also FurAffinity

Twist

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on January 24, 2010, 05:30:17 PM
Quote from: Tezkat on January 24, 2010, 05:13:40 PM
Food for thought... does Wildy have a mind shield? :dface

... Has Abel lowered his enough for it to be useful?

"Are you Gay" Is probably enough provocation for him to start paying attention to what the Wildy is thinking, which means if she would think about why she asked the question he would know everything.

That scene makes more sense in terms of Ables favorite food than his sexuality.

AmigaDragon

Quote from: LionHeart on January 26, 2010, 10:12:08 PM

No, he just insults scantily-clad drunk women with rejection.
"Cogito, ergo es. I think, therefore you is." Ray D. Tutto (King of the Moon) to Baron Munschaussen

Shachza

Quote from: AmigaDragon on January 26, 2010, 11:56:09 PM
Quote from: LionHeart on January 26, 2010, 10:12:08 PM

No, he just insults scantily-clad drunk women with rejection.

There's a huge difference between happy-tipsy and IMGOINGTOKILLSOMETHINGBECAUSEIWASJUSTDUMPED-drunk.
            <-- #1 that is!

The Only Man Ever

Wait. This question hasn't been answered yet?
It's been 3 years and I return to find this question yet unanswered.
Bugger.
(On a side note I have a few hundred comics to catch up on.)

Ry

Quote from: Twist on January 26, 2010, 11:07:45 PM

That scene makes more sense in terms of Ables favorite food than his sexuality.
:P I wasn't implying it had anything to do with his sexuality, I just thought it was awesome. Honestly, if he continues doing things like that I think I'll love him even more if he turns out to be straight.

Arcblade

Quote from: inuhanyo on January 26, 2010, 08:09:22 PM

I'd use a stronger word than "hesitant", myself.
strip 742
Fa'Lina:"Say Abel ... ever consider not pushing everone away while you're here?"
Abel:"Why not?  I'll be gone in a year or two."
Fa'Lina:"You don't even want to try and make friends with anyone?"
Abel:"Please Fa'Lina. I turned being alone into an art at the Academy.  After hundreds of years, there's nothing I can't handle."

As Abel's story continues, we'll learn the reasons for Abel's avoidance of all relationships,.  Giving Aniz no purchase for threats is one.

This is an excellent point.  He's fooling himself, however, if he thinks he's ready for anything.  Being emotionally open (or even not entirely closed off) hands you a whole new set of problems to deal with. 

It might be more than no blackmail material for Aniz, but that's probably a big part of it.  Well said. 

Les

I've been wondering.  Given how the time of Aniz's next possible resurfacing is coming up, how will that event be affected by Dan, who was a competant adventurer before getting Cubi powers and is a member of the presumably quite powerful Cyra clan (and Destania's son to boot.)?

Arcblade

He did swear a vow to avoid fighting with 'Cubi at all costs

I'm guessing he's not going to be too thrilled with the goings on, of course.  But he might also be too busy trying to smack down Dark Pegasus. 

AmigaDragon

Now that he knows the reason for it, is he still bound as strongly by his vow?

Infranscia

Well, I am kinda glad the direct approach is used.  Some people just dodge using a direct question too much.

Of course, I think there's a chance that Abel would stubbornly avoid a (direct) answer, leading to 1. teasing the readers 2. Wildy resorting to *cough* other means, which would mean 3. Abel not getting his compensation because it would be impossible to tell if the boo-boo on his cheek is really from Genesis or if it's a Wildy related injury (check the comic title, too).  It would probably be in that order, too.  Admittedly, I'd kinda like to see something like that, if only for the funny.

Oh, and Amber, I'd just like to comment that I like the current text at the top of the window... the page-title or whatever it's called.  :mowsmile  Hehe, yay WC2!
Please excuse the watermarked avatar.  I haven't bothered to fix it yet.  (Still, thanks to PetFriendAmy for the original pic!)

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Infranscia on January 29, 2010, 02:07:43 AM
Oh, and Amber, I'd just like to comment that I like the current text at the top of the window... the page-title or whatever it's called.  :mowsmile  Hehe, yay WC2!

"You're making me seasick."
"Hurgh!"
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Corgatha Taldorthar

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on January 29, 2010, 03:38:48 AM
Quote from: Infranscia on January 29, 2010, 02:07:43 AM

"You're making me seasick."
"Hurgh!"

Don't you have a forum to run?
Someday, when we look back on this, we'll both laugh nervously and change the subject. More is good. All is better.

llearch n'n'daCorna

Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

inuhanyo

Quote from: AmigaDragon on January 28, 2010, 11:01:24 PM
Now that he knows the reason for it, is he still bound as strongly by his vow?

Yes.  Knowing the reason for it has nothing to do with the vow being in force or not.  Dan made a promise, and only the one he made the promise to (his mom) can release him from it.

AmigaDragon

Now that he knows (and she knows that he's now aware), I wonder how long it'll take her to release him (in person, by mail or other)... weeks, months, years?

Tapewolf

Quote from: AmigaDragon on February 01, 2010, 11:41:58 PM
Now that he knows (and she knows that he's now aware), I wonder how long it'll take her to release him (in person, by mail or other)... weeks, months, years?

Is Dan going to feel obliged to keep his vow when he finds out that she's been teaching rape, murder and soul-stealing the last few thousand years, and that could easily be stepping up to genocide?

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Mrs_A_ZeTavia

I don't know why, but all of a sudden i'm remined of these two comics.......

http://www.missmab.com/Comics/Vol_537.php
http://www.missmab.com/Comics/Vol_538.php

I had no idea girls were tainted, or that touch in general was tainted. Guess you learn something new each day, huh.....  :P