11/30/09 [PF #88] I spy a sunflower

Started by ChaosMageX, November 30, 2009, 01:58:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChaosMageX

Check it out, Gabi's sunflower is in the background.  Good for her that some of her art appears in the comic.

Depending on my situation and those of Tapewolf, Ren, Kiripu, and Keaton, you might be seeing more of my art relatively soon. ;)

I like that look on Dorcan's face in the last panel.

What was the name of Dorcan's mother?  I want to try doing a drawing of her that isn't as gratuitous as that one Kiripu did.

Icon by Sunblink

Tapewolf

Quote from: ChaosMageX on November 30, 2009, 01:58:35 AM
Check it out, Gabi's sunflower is in the background.  Good for her that some of her art appears in the comic.

That was actually Ren's idea.  I realised that the shrine-like picture of Azrael made little sense if he was back and Ren suggested using the sunflower.  I forgot to credit it, though.  Sorry, Gabi!

QuoteWhat was the name of Dorcan's mother?  I want to try doing a drawing of her that isn't as gratuitous as that one Kiripu did.
Her name is Salomere.  The main reference for her is here:
http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k216/tapewolf/dmfa/Salomere66.png
...there is also a wiki page here, if you're interested:  http://dmfa.wikia.com/wiki/Salomere_Ja%27Fell

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Corgatha Taldorthar

I'm sorry, but I have to say it.

The expression on Dorcan's face in the first panel almost makes him look surprised that people play scrabble :P
Someday, when we look back on this, we'll both laugh nervously and change the subject. More is good. All is better.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Corgatha Taldorthar on November 30, 2009, 11:15:14 AM

The expression on Dorcan's face in the first panel almost makes him look surprised that people play scrabble :P

Heh.  Yes, it came out a little strange there.  You probably want this version:
http://www.project-future.org/stuff/things/CommonRoom.png

Sprocketsdance

Hehe, yes, way to go Gabi on the Sunflower!  :boogie It really does fit the room and make it more homey. ^_^

Oh.. and I just have to say that Azrael looks so gosh-darn cute in the first panel!   :giggle   :boogie  (sorry Tape :animesweat )

ChaosMageX

Why is the audio technology that Azrael is using over 200 years old?

One would think he'd be listening to an extremely tiny choking hazard mp3 player in the advanced setting of the story.

Icon by Sunblink

Tapewolf

Quote from: ChaosMageX on November 30, 2009, 12:16:12 PM
Why is the audio technology that Azrael is using over 200 years old?
One would think he'd be listening to an extremely tiny choking hazard mp3 player in the advanced setting of the story.

Perhaps, but it's easier to repair a Revox than a solid-state player  :P

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Tapewolf on November 30, 2009, 12:52:10 PM

Not to mention that replacing the batteries in one of those little things is something that comes around every year or so. Which, to a Cubi, is like replacing them every week...
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Chakat Blackspots

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on November 30, 2009, 05:08:12 PM
Perhaps, but it's easier to repair a Revox than a solid-state player  :P

Not to mention that replacing the batteries in one of those little things is something that comes around every year or so. Which, to a Cubi, is like replacing them every week...

What Tapewolf said, and that Azrael could probably like the ancient technology (He's probably like the people who prefer the LP over the CD).  Perhaps by this time, the solid state devices have a built in fuel cell where you add a tiny canister of hydrogen, and at the same time, it adds a bit of humidity to the room while it produces power.

Oh, like how the couch was drawn to allow the sittee's tail (and wing's I suppose) to fall behind the couch.

Pagan

Quote from: Tapewolf on November 30, 2009, 11:35:14 AM
Quote from: Corgatha Taldorthar on November 30, 2009, 11:15:14 AM

Heh.  Yes, it came out a little strange there.  You probably want this version:
http://www.project-future.org/stuff/things/CommonRoom.png

Honestly, that just makes him look deranged.
After a long time, some things change. Some things don't. And I still love Regina!

Ren Gaulen

Quote from: wuffnpuff on November 30, 2009, 11:55:42 AM
Hehe, yes, way to go Gabi on the Sunflower!  :boogie It really does fit the room and make it more homey. ^_^

Oh.. and I just have to say that Azrael looks so gosh-darn cute in the first panel!   :giggle   :boogie  (sorry Tape :animesweat )
In the pencil version I originally gave him a :3 smile, but I kinda toned it down. Also, Dorcan originally had the Awesome Face (you know what I mean) in that panel, because I could not come up with any expression for him. I fixed it only when I started inking. :B

Tapewolf

Quote from: kusanagi-sama on November 30, 2009, 07:14:45 PM
What Tapewolf said, and that Azrael could probably like the ancient technology (He's probably like the people who prefer the LP over the CD).
What I forgot to mention was that at the time of Azrael's death, this was the sort of recording technology they had pilfered from Earth, so 1970-era tech is what he'd be used to.

QuotePerhaps by this time, the solid state devices have a built in fuel cell where you add a tiny canister of hydrogen, and at the same time, it adds a bit of humidity to the room while it produces power.
It's probably broadcast power with a backup battery.  Larger devices, such as motorbikes (and Azrael himself) use small, aneutronic fusion plants.

QuoteOh, like how the couch was drawn to allow the sittee's tail (and wing's I suppose) to fall behind the couch.

Yeah, my only regret is that we didn't do that in the first place around strip 35.

Pagan

Quote from: Ren Gaulen on November 30, 2009, 11:29:16 PM
In the pencil version I originally gave him a :3 smile, but I kinda toned it down. Also, Dorcan originally had the Awesome Face (you know what I mean) in that panel.

The awesome face, you say? Something like this?
After a long time, some things change. Some things don't. And I still love Regina!

Ren Gaulen

Quote from: Pagan on December 01, 2009, 08:32:31 AM
Quote from: Ren Gaulen on November 30, 2009, 11:29:16 PM
In the pencil version I originally gave him a :3 smile, but I kinda toned it down. Also, Dorcan originally had the Awesome Face (you know what I mean) in that panel.

The awesome face, you say? Something like this?
..That's not Dorcan in your picture. :P

Tapewolf

Mao

I'll just leave that there...

If it can be done to V.. your cast isn't safe either.

Just sayin'.

Chakat Blackspots

Quote from: Tapewolf on December 01, 2009, 03:40:13 AM
Quote from: kusanagi-sama on November 30, 2009, 07:14:45 PM
What Tapewolf said, and that Azrael could probably like the ancient technology (He's probably like the people who prefer the LP over the CD).
What I forgot to mention was that at the time of Azrael's death, this was the sort of recording technology they had pilfered from Earth, so 1970-era tech is what he'd be used to.

QuotePerhaps by this time, the solid state devices have a built in fuel cell where you add a tiny canister of hydrogen, and at the same time, it adds a bit of humidity to the room while it produces power.
It's probably broadcast power with a backup battery.  Larger devices, such as motorbikes (and Azrael himself) use small, aneutronic fusion plants.

QuoteOh, like how the couch was drawn to allow the sittee's tail (and wing's I suppose) to fall behind the couch.

Yeah, my only regret is that we didn't do that in the first place around strip 35.

Since I just started reading the comic on the last page of the last chapter, I haven't taken the time to read the entire comic, but I did take a peek at strip 35.

How does Azrael feel about the newer technology since he's used to the older earth tech from half a millenia ago?

ChaosMageX

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on November 30, 2009, 05:08:12 PM

Darn you, llearch, I think you jinxed my own MP3 player.  The battery in it finally started failing the day after you posted this. :<

Icon by Sunblink

Tapewolf

Quote from: kusanagi-sama on December 02, 2009, 09:29:03 PM
Since I just started reading the comic on the last page of the last chapter, I haven't taken the time to read the entire comic, but I did take a peek at strip 35.

How does Azrael feel about the newer technology since he's used to the older earth tech from half a millenia ago?

A bit mixed.  However, the stuff they had in Ha'Khun was more advanced than anything else (non-magical) at the time, and when Cross left things kind of slid backwards.  The rest of Furrae only caught up and surpassed it around present-day DMFA time.

My take is that the rate of progress has slowed a bit after Jyrras' time (I'm assuming he hasn't become immortal somehow) so things as a whole are not really as advanced as they could be - like the difference between now and 1860, for example.

It can also be assumed that Azrael had bound his soul to Furrae in some manner that allowed him to observe things after his death - the usual state of affairs in Furrae's afterworld seems to be that the soul remains around for a bit and then goes on to some other stage of existence from which it cannot be resurrected by the usual means.

Tapewolf

Bit of a delay on the line-art.  Fingers crossed it will be ready later tonight.  However, depending on the scene complexity I may or may not be able to colour it all today, so we might be updating Saturday (which is strictly our official update day anyway).

Chakat Blackspots

Quote from: Tapewolf on December 03, 2009, 05:42:52 AM
Quote from: kusanagi-sama on December 02, 2009, 09:29:03 PM

A bit mixed.  However, the stuff they had in Ha'Khun was more advanced than anything else (non-magical) at the time, and when Cross left things kind of slid backwards.  The rest of Furrae only caught up and surpassed it around present-day DMFA time.

My take is that the rate of progress has slowed a bit after Jyrras' time (I'm assuming he hasn't become immortal somehow) so things as a whole are not really as advanced as they could be - like the difference between now and 1860, for example.

It can also be assumed that Azrael had bound his soul to Furrae in some manner that allowed him to observe things after his death - the usual state of affairs in Furrae's afterworld seems to be that the soul remains around for a bit and then goes on to some other stage of existence from which it cannot be resurrected by the usual means.

So Furrae is now more advanced than Earth at current present day DMFA time?

I suppoe a way to resurrect a soul by usual means are magic and incantations?  And something much stronger would be required to pull back a soul from the Furrae afterworld?

Tapewolf

Quote from: kusanagi-sama on December 04, 2009, 09:39:09 PM
So Furrae is now more advanced than Earth at current present day DMFA time?
Jyrras has done a few things that we can't, though mostly in the field of robotics.

QuoteI suppoe a way to resurrect a soul by usual means are magic and incantations?  And something much stronger would be required to pull back a soul from the Furrae afterworld?
Yes.

ChaosMageX

Hey, I'm actually glad that there's a delay in the comic, as it still gives me time to contribute to its final panel, which I REALLY want to do.

I haven't had any time to draw anything over the week because I was practically pulling an all-nighter each day to get the ass-load worth of assignments given to me by my professors.  These final couple of weeks of misery before the final exams are what I like to call a "tight squeeze", and I hate them so very VERY much.
That, and I spent most of yesterday sleeping in bed from the stressful week and a sinus headache.

But luckily, if Tapewolf decicdes not to update the comic today, I'll have one final chance to contribute to its final panel.  If not, then I can just add this to the long list of opportunities that my damn Chemical Engineering course load has caused me to miss.

Icon by Sunblink

Tapewolf

Ren sent me the final panel last night.  This is the largest and most detailed pane in the page, and it is now fully coloured as of about 2 minutes ago.  However I'm still waiting on the top 2/3 of the comic.

Quote from: ChaosMageX on December 05, 2009, 09:18:13 AM
Hey, I'm actually glad that there's a delay in the comic, as it still gives me time to contribute to its final panel, which I REALLY want to do.

Let me know what you have and I'll see if I can drop something into it.

QuoteI haven't had any time to draw anything over the week because I was practically pulling an all-nighter each day to get the ass-load worth of assignments given to me by my professors.

Ewww.  I remember doing that.  Not fun.

Ren Gaulen

Quote from: Tapewolf on December 05, 2009, 09:53:46 AM
Ren sent me the final panel last night.  This is the largest and most detailed pane in the page, and it is now fully coloured as of about 2 minutes ago.  However I'm still waiting on the top 2/3 of the comic.
Aaaand, I just sent the last bit of the page to Tape a few minutes ago. :B

ChaosMageX

Quote from: Ren Gaulen on December 05, 2009, 10:43:46 AM

BTW, Ren, did you get my PM with the art I had already attempted to draw for the comic to see what you thought of it?

Icon by Sunblink

Turnsky

Quote from: Ren Gaulen on December 05, 2009, 10:43:46 AM

are you rocking back and forth in the corner, muttering various pieces of gibberish yet?  :U

Dragons, it's what's for dinner... with gravy and potatoes, YUM!
Sparta? no, you should've taken that right at albuquerque..

Tapewolf

Quote from: Turnsky on December 05, 2009, 12:03:47 PM
are you rocking back and forth in the corner, muttering various pieces of gibberish yet?  :U

No, he's sleeping it off.  Notwithstanding that he can't proof it, I should have the comic up in 15-20 minutes.
Though it might have to be changed later if he goes "No! No! No! It's all wrong!"  :P

Tapewolf

Okay, slightly optimistic there.  Anyway, the comic is now up.  Enjoy.