Bioware has done it again!

Started by Teroniss, November 04, 2009, 12:21:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Teroniss

Dragon Age: Origins is unfreakingly unbelievably amazing. I don't even know where to begin. Graphics wise, the game is up there with Oblivion in terms of environment and character design. Storywise, it is fabulous, especially considering how many possible openings, story paths, and endings you can go through.

Add to this that the game play alot like KoToR in many ways, and I need a towel please!

bill

My copy of this is in the mail tomorrow; I only had to hear that it was effectively Baldur's Gate 3 to instantly purchase it. Everything from reviews to word-of-mouth has been completely positive.

Also you can have gay sex in it  :U

Teroniss

yea, that was rather amusing, amongst other things >.>

Tapewolf

Ooo, that looks interesting.  Their website seems to be a bit screwed up, though.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Teh_Hobo

I've been seeing ads for this on steam, and every time the cynic in me wants to doubt it. Now I'm hearing all kinds of good stuff about it and I'm starting to want it. Damn it, I've already bought two games this month, my paycheck only goes so far!
One week in air, two weeks in water, two weeks in water, eight weeks in ground.

Janus Whitefurr

I'm interested, but I've had a good friend I trust with gaming details give me the cynic's view of it as well as a few details I'm not too fond of (my bane, forced partying, for instance), but I'll probably end up getting it for cheap sometime in the distant future.
This post has been brought to you by Bond. Janus Bond. And the Agency™. And possibly spy cameras.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Janus Whitefurr on November 04, 2009, 07:19:23 PM
(my bane, forced partying, for instance)
Couldn't you just ensure that your followers meet with some horrible accident(s)?  Or do they keep getting resurrected like in Ultima 6?

bill

It's Infinity-Engine RPG style, killed party members are revived post-combat

llearch n'n'daCorna

might make killing them off in each combat a little hard to get away with...
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Tapewolf

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on November 05, 2009, 04:09:46 AM
might make killing them off in each combat a little hard to get away with...
Well, the solution I had in Ultima 6 was to cremate their corpses.  That usually stopped the King resurrecting them.

EDIT:

Actually, I seem to recall reading on the wiki page last night that if you were sufficiently evil (in Dragon Age) some of your followers would leave in disgust.

Janus Whitefurr

Quote from: Tapewolf on November 04, 2009, 07:23:35 PM
Couldn't you just ensure that your followers meet with some horrible accident(s)?  Or do they keep getting resurrected like in Ultima 6?

a) I don't mind parties in general, so long as you can either pick/choose your favourites most of the time (ala Knights Of The Old Republic) or opt to play entirely solo (like, say, Neverwinter Nights.). It's when you get to something like NWN2's "this dwarf is going to join your party, and nothing you say will make him fark off" party method that I start getting annoyed.

b) Your idea requires being a horrible person to other characters, and I'm always the purity guy in most RPG-type games. Negative/evil actions always make my skin crawl, almost in the literal sense. I just can't stand being the bad guy. (Unless something like HK-47 is involved. Then it's a bit easier because it's hilarious.)

This post has been brought to you by Bond. Janus Bond. And the Agency™. And possibly spy cameras.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Janus Whitefurr on November 05, 2009, 05:22:19 AM
b) Your idea requires being a horrible person to other characters, and I'm always the purity guy in most RPG-type games. Negative/evil actions always make my skin crawl, almost in the literal sense.

Well, I've long viewed games like this as a way of doing things which you wouldn't be able to or wouldn't wish to do in reality, so I may have a bit of a skewed outlook there.  But to be honest?  I'm not entirely sure I'd want to do that myself, certainly not just for the sake of something as trivial as being able to solo it.  (Especially when I consider how hard I've worked to keep Cat Dude's karma good in Oblivion...)  However it may be a possible solution (not necessarily the best one).

At the risk of warbling about U6 too much, what really made me hate the followers was that one of them kept being a goody two-shoes throughout the game.

bill

a) I don't mind parties in general, so long as you can either pick/choose your favourites most of the time (ala Knights Of The Old Republic) or opt to play entirely solo (like, say, Neverwinter Nights.). It's when you get to something like NWN2's "this dwarf is going to join your party, and nothing you say will make him fark off" party method that I start getting annoyed.

b) Your idea requires being a horrible person to other characters, and I'm always the purity guy in most RPG-type games. Negative/evil actions always make my skin crawl, almost in the literal sense. I just can't stand being the bad guy. (Unless something like HK-47 is involved. Then it's a bit easier because it's hilarious.)

Honestly, the game is really, really hard and you probably will get murdered on anything other than easy if you could attempt to solo it.

I love it, though, I loved how PC RPG games actually used to be challenging (Mass Effect, I'm looking at you)

Cvstos

Quote from: bill on November 05, 2009, 10:42:38 AM

Honestly, the game is really, really hard and you probably will get murdered on anything other than easy if you could attempt to solo it.

I love it, though, I loved how PC RPG games actually used to be challenging (Mass Effect, I'm looking at you)

Mass Effect? Seriously? I could barely handle "Hard" on that game. BARELY. I had to lower it on a few parts. Anything higher was freaking impossible. Not just for me, either, but also for a friend of mine who is CRAZY good at games. (Like "Ninja Gaiden was too easy" crazy good.) If he thought the first hour at max difficulty was overwhelming, I can't even think of playing it at that level.
"The problems that exist in the world today cannot be solved by the level of thinking that created them." - Albert Einstein

"Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocrities. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence." -Albert Einstein

bill

it was a bit tough if you started out as hard, but once you reached a certain point in the first playthrough, there was no challenge anymore. mid-to-high level builds were completely broken (especially for tech/biotic users).

silentassassin

Ughh speaking of mass effect yesterday I popped it in after monthes of no playing I can't find my way out of the citidal omg I'm lost

Vidar

Quote from: Teroniss on November 04, 2009, 12:21:31 AM
Graphics wise, the game is up there with Oblivion in terms of environment and character design.

You mean the trees look great, but everyone looks like a reanimated corpse? I've head quite enough uncanny valley action in oblivion 'KTHNXBEY.
I would like to see developers doing rather more creative with the modern PC hardware than the usual fantasy-setting, space marines or the odd gun-toting theoretical physicist. 
\^.^/ \O.O/ \¬.¬/ \O.^/ \o.o/ \-.-/' \O.o/ \0.0/ \>.</

Azlan

It looks rather nice, I'm a bit tired of the elf, dwarf, human trope... but it is tried and true, so it's a safe bet.

The tactics and friendly NPC AI for a mage is rather horrible, as Morrigan keeps frosting my whole party in close quarters.

For the most part it is very nicely done.
"Ha ha! The fun has been doubled!"