10/21/2009 [FC#55] Hair it was

Started by Tapewolf, October 22, 2009, 06:34:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tapewolf

Well, I guess someone had to start a thread.   I'm not entirely sure what they're going to teach him since AFAIK most of the important things for 'Cubi involve things he can't do, like shielding his mind, concealing his wings and so forth.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Garsemor

Ok so, spill it Turnskey, what's whit the hair?  :giggle

Mao

Afaik, Luke's the only one who didn't have any.  I think it's a cheap excuse to update the characters appearance. :P 

*awaits the beatings from Turnsky*

Sicill

Quote from: Tapewolf on October 22, 2009, 06:34:36 AM
I'm not entirely sure what they're going to teach him since AFAIK most of the important things for 'Cubi involve things he can't do, like shielding his mind,
Not sure what you mean by that, for mind shielding I direct your attention to:
http://www.ariannia.com/2008/02/02182008/
I appear to remember Turnsky mentioning that powerful older Thae'lith often have the ability to hide their minds.
Though it would be best to hear that from Turnsky.

Yes, Luke does not have those famous prehensile fleshy wings, so he cannot learn to work with them.
But some of the things Cubi can do, like learn basic magic theory, the psychology of the various races, the cultures of the carious races, social manipulation, politics (Cubi or otherwise),  information extraction, torture and self defense I do imagine they are qualified to teach Luke.
If Benghal is aiming for a resurgence of Thae'lith power, imperial or otherwise, I imagine those lessons would be useful.

Turnsky

Quote from: Tapewolf on October 22, 2009, 06:34:36 AM
Well, I guess someone had to start a thread.   I'm not entirely sure what they're going to teach him since AFAIK most of the important things for 'Cubi involve things he can't do, like shielding his mind, concealing his wings and so forth.

"how to survive" would be considered important, Tape.  >:3

Dragons, it's what's for dinner... with gravy and potatoes, YUM!
Sparta? no, you should've taken that right at albuquerque..

Tapewolf

Quote from: Turnsky on October 23, 2009, 01:34:25 AM
"how to survive" would be considered important, Tape.  >:3

True, but on the face of it I'm not sure he's going to make a very good student.  It makes me think of a leopard trying to teach a cheetah to hunt - they're both big cats but they're morphology is different enough that what works for the leopard won't work for the cheetah and vice-versa.
Also, dealing with a foundling from a different universe who in all likelihood still thinks of himself as human (it being maybe a month since he changed AFAIK) is going to be a little different from someone who's lived there all their life.

Quote from: Sicill on October 22, 2009, 08:14:34 PM

In the DMFA scenario, a 'Cubi of about Luke's age will have the following as an immediate priority:
1. They'll start to hear other people's thoughts - they need to shield themselves ASAP.  Luke won't have this because he's not a 'Cubi.  Shielding his thoughts is handy but the mechanism is liable to be entirely different and it's not as high a priority.
2. They start to absorb emotions.  This again requires urgent attention or they may start to get overloaded as happened to Dan.
3. They get a pair of wings on their head and in the DMFA setting (and apparently in Ariannia as well), having these seen in public is not good for your health.  These, and typically the backwings too - must be hidden as a very high priority.

QuoteBut some of the things Cubi can do, like learn basic magic theory, the psychology of the various races, the cultures of the carious races, social manipulation, politics (Cubi or otherwise),  information extraction, torture and self defense I do imagine they are qualified to teach Luke.
If Benghal is aiming for a resurgence of Thae'lith power, imperial or otherwise, I imagine those lessons would be useful.

Granted.  First they're going to have to get him up to speed on Ariannian common knowledge, though.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

ShadesFox

Maybe Benghal just wanted a baby sitter?
The All Purpose Fox

Turnsky

Quote from: Tapewolf on October 23, 2009, 03:45:21 AM
Quote from: Turnsky on October 23, 2009, 01:34:25 AM
"how to survive" would be considered important, Tape.  >:3

True, but on the face of it I'm not sure he's going to make a very good student.  It makes me think of a leopard trying to teach a cheetah to hunt - they're both big cats but they're morphology is different enough that what works for the leopard won't work for the cheetah and vice-versa.
Also, dealing with a foundling from a different universe who in all likelihood still thinks of himself as human (it being maybe a month since he changed AFAIK) is going to be a little different from someone who's lived there all their life.

Quote from: Sicill on October 22, 2009, 08:14:34 PM

In the DMFA scenario, a 'Cubi of about Luke's age will have the following as an immediate priority:
1. They'll start to hear other people's thoughts - they need to shield themselves ASAP.  Luke won't have this because he's not a 'Cubi.  Shielding his thoughts is handy but the mechanism is liable to be entirely different and it's not as high a priority.
2. They start to absorb emotions.  This again requires urgent attention or they may start to get overloaded as happened to Dan.
3. They get a pair of wings on their head and in the DMFA setting (and apparently in Ariannia as well), having these seen in public is not good for your health.  These, and typically the backwings too - must be hidden as a very high priority.

QuoteBut some of the things Cubi can do, like learn basic magic theory, the psychology of the various races, the cultures of the carious races, social manipulation, politics (Cubi or otherwise),  information extraction, torture and self defense I do imagine they are qualified to teach Luke.

Granted.  First they're going to have to get him up to speed on Ariannian common knowledge, though.

Okidoke, there's a myriad of reasons Bengahl wants Luke among Cubi for the most part...Bengahl isn't too sure how time has Tempered his own people since his 'exile' and return, and Bengahl knows cubi, and for lack of a better term "trusts" them.
Luke can be taught a myriad of Ariannian Life skills and Basic use of the arcane without bengahl's help, and Cubi are the perfect foil for many a Thaelith ability, and vice-versa... don't forget that the Cubi have a valuable resource in Bengahl being there, so there's actual mutual benefit going on there with Luke's very presence, he's a bargaining chip, too.
and lastly... Luke's safety is assured while he's there... well, relative safety.. for Luke at the moment, House G'rel's become "Hotel California"  >:3

as for the hair?... truth be told i've been wanting to give Luke hair for ages, but couldn't really be bothered showing it actually growing and such... on a sidenote the "headplane" wasn't my first choice in amusing little jokes.. i wanted to either do a "Cousin Itt" or a 'fro some 6 feet in diameter.  :U

Kabbalist

You do realize that the next logical step in Luke's humili-- I mean, "integration into society" is Makeover Madness, right? I know he'll at least get his hair combed...but just think of the fun that could be had trying various hairstyles before settling on one he'll accept.

Oh, and as far as his relative safety being secured, that's all well and good, but what about his sanity? Then again, if he's not utterly bugnuts after the stuff he's already gone through it'll probably take more than a fortress full of capricious 'Cubi to break him.

EDIT:  ...for a while.

Turnsky

Quote from: Kabbalist on October 25, 2009, 08:30:02 PM
Oh, and as far as his relative safety being secured, that's all well and good, but what about his sanity?

as long as he still carries a pulse, man.  >:3

Kabbalist

Good point, Turnsky. Where there's life, there's hope...and the chance that a good psychologist/psychiatrist  could find most of his marbles given enough time. Now, if only said individual would eventually get around to finding Luke's marbles.  :rolleyes

Turnsky

i've already started on the next one, hopefully i can maintain this fire.  >:3

Mao

*gets out the flame thrower*  ...are you trying to get invited to my next barbeque?

llearch n'n'daCorna

Hair today, gone tomorrow. You know how it is...
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Kabbalist

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on October 27, 2009, 11:40:52 AM
Hair today, gone tomorrow. You know how it is...

Thank you, Ilearch. I've been trying desperately to hold that pun in, in hopes that somebody else would go there. I've gotten enough whacks from the Broom of PUNishment as it is.

Mao

I also held that one in.  I did however throw out "I wanted to see a 'hair'-plane" in another spot. :P

Turnsky

llearch n'n'daCorna

Kabbalist: It's a hair-raising pun, I'll grant you. Perhaps if you hair of a better one you could tell me? ;-]

Mao: I noticed. I's been a hairy week, so you'll forgive me if I hair off and don't comment...

ShadesFox

I think you went a hair too far with the puns there llearch.
The All Purpose Fox

llearch n'n'daCorna

ShadesFox

I had to get that one out of my hair.
The All Purpose Fox

Mao

Alright you two, no need to get your hair all up on it's end at one another.

Turnsky

i hope you folks appreciate the next page... it's a monster.  :U

AmigaDragon

Quote from: Kabbalist on October 25, 2009, 08:30:02 PM
You do realize that the next logical step in Luke's humili-- I mean, "integration into society" is Makeover Madness, right? I know he'll at least get his hair combed...but just think of the fun that could be had trying various hairstyles before settling on one he'll accept.

As long as it's Mary doing his hair, I think he'd keep quiet about most styles (unless he actually likes them) and just enjoy the attention. Since they're now (I believe) at the same facility, I wonder how long it'll take them to find each other.

How long (story time) has it been since they were transported from Earth? It seems to me that it may not have been much over a week.
"Cogito, ergo es. I think, therefore you is." Ray D. Tutto (King of the Moon) to Baron Munschaussen

Chakat Blackspots

If someone were to suddenly get a full head of hair like that, I wonder if they would get headaches for a little while until they get used to it.  That much hair must be fairly heavy.

llearch n'n'daCorna

explains why his head is drooping. ;-]

Chakat Blackspots

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on November 05, 2009, 04:04:47 AM

I thought it was because he was totally worn out.  Also, from page 51 he hits a Cubi in the face with a frying pan, in page 56 of the comic, he's seen holding his left shoulder.  Apparently its still injured (possibly broken from his ordeal in the labyrinth with the Oracle (the ancient computer)).  Whats up with that?  If you have an injured shoulder, how are you able to use that arm?

Also, I seem to recognize the art.  Is Turnsky also the big blue scaly guy on FA who's touch makes people grow?  (DNA palmhead)

Turnsky

Quote from: kusanagi-sama on November 05, 2009, 08:04:09 PM

I thought it was because he was totally worn out.  Also, from page 51 he hits a Cubi in the face with a frying pan, in page 56 of the comic, he's seen holding his left shoulder.  Apparently its still injured (possibly broken from his ordeal in the labyrinth with the Oracle (the ancient computer)).  Whats up with that?  If you have an injured shoulder, how are you able to use that arm?

Also, I seem to recognize the art.  Is Turnsky also the big blue scaly guy on FA who's touch makes people grow?  (DNA palmhead)

Nope.. i'm easy enough to find.  :U

also, his arm isn't injured, he's just feeling insecure at that moment.

Chakat Blackspots

Quote from: Turnsky on November 05, 2009, 08:42:26 PM
Quote from: kusanagi-sama on November 05, 2009, 08:04:09 PM

Also, I seem to recognize the art.  Is Turnsky also the big blue scaly guy on FA who's touch makes people grow?  (DNA palmhead)

Nope.. i'm easy enough to find.  :U

also, his arm isn't injured, he's just feeling insecure at that moment.

Hmmm, can't imagine why... is he insecure in front of Milnea with no shirt on?

--EDIT--
Anyway, many compliments on the great comic and ginormous improvement on your art style over the last 6 years.
Also, I just realized I'm already watching you on FA when I went and typed in your name in the address bar (after /user/)