Anti-walkthrough for Oblivion

Started by Tapewolf, October 06, 2009, 08:12:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tapewolf

As some people may know, I have a habit of tearing games apart and finding ways to break them.  Now it's Oblivion's turn.  It's been about a year in the making and it only covers about half the stock game, but here we are:

http://www.it-he.org/oblivion.htm

There are a couple of things I'd like to improve upon, e.g. some custom artwork I'd like to have done, but it's pretty much complete for what it covers.

I'd appreciate it if anyone can spot mistakes or suchlike before this goes fully live.  Anyway, enjoy it.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Arroyo Milori

I lol'd a little at the beginning but it's a verrry interesting guide.

llearch n'n'daCorna

I do have a query. What does:

player.additem 192 250

... do?
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Tapewolf

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on October 06, 2009, 09:29:03 AM
player.additem 192 250

... do?

It creates 250 Black Soul Gems, which as mentioned, allow you to trap the souls of non-playing characters.

Quote from: Arroyo Milori on October 06, 2009, 09:25:02 AM
Well, the idea is more to be entertaining than practical.  From my http logs there are some people who seem to come across these things while trying to find a serious walkthrough - heaven help them  :B

Arroyo Milori

Quote from: Tapewolf on October 06, 2009, 09:32:38 AM
Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on October 06, 2009, 09:29:03 AM
player.additem 192 250

... do?

It creates 250 Black Soul Gems, which as mentioned, allow you to trap the souls of non-playing characters.

Quote from: Arroyo Milori on October 06, 2009, 09:25:02 AM
Well, the idea is more to be entertaining than practical.  From my http logs there are some people who seem to come across these things while trying to find a serious walkthrough - heaven help them  :B
I wish those who try to write a serious walkthrough help. God knows how many hours you have to put in the game to complete all the quests, gather all the items, and complete the main story line along with the other side stories like Knights of the Nine and that Isles quests.

Dannysaysnoo

I've barely skimmed the surface, and I'm already close to hysterics. Another good one, JP :3

Tapewolf

Quote from: Dannysaysnoo on October 06, 2009, 10:35:49 AM
I've barely skimmed the surface, and I'm already close to hysterics. Another good one, JP :3

Thanks.  I'm also planning a collection of mental screenshots at some point.  That is liable to be somewhat more immediate than some of the more subtle recasting of in-game situations.

Dannysaysnoo

Quote from: Tapewolf on October 06, 2009, 10:39:18 AM
Thanks.  I'm also planning a collection of mental screenshots at some point.  That is liable to be somewhat more immediate than some of the more subtle recasting of in-game situations.

Heh, awesome. Hope you find some of the unique, large monsters. They might make for good photos.

Also, I loved the "All That Before" reference.

Corgatha Taldorthar

I guess  I really need to go out and play Oblivion, huh? I only half got a lot of the jokes here.

But there was a Stormbringer reference! Rock on! Is there any way to make a Hand of Kwll, or an eye of Rhynn?
Someday, when we look back on this, we'll both laugh nervously and change the subject. More is good. All is better.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Corgatha Taldorthar on October 06, 2009, 12:43:21 PM
But there was a Stormbringer reference! Rock on! Is there any way to make a Hand of Kwll, or an eye of Rhynn?

Offhand I couldn't say what those are.  I certainly haven't read Michael Moorcock's entire output...

Oh yeah, and Danny?  Thanks for pointing out Trisector to me.  It took me long enough to actually get the thing, but it's not a bad album.

Corgatha Taldorthar

Quote from: Tapewolf on October 06, 2009, 01:29:50 PM
Quote from: Corgatha Taldorthar on October 06, 2009, 12:43:21 PM

Offhand I couldn't say what those are.  I certainly haven't read Michael Moorcock's entire output...

:cry It's a lonely world being a compulsive reader.

They're linked items from the Corum Jhalen Esrei series. Body parts from dead gods, they get grafted onto Corum when he loses the respective organs. The eye lets him see into certain supernatural realms, and the hand can pull creatures from there to serve him, at least until the monsters he pulls up harvest enough souls to move on, at which point what they kill becomes the next monster in the pool, awaiting summoning.

The Hand and Eye of Vecna in the D&D handbook are cheap knockoffs. I don't even think there was summoning in Morrowing (been *ages*) so I doubt it would work. Fun read though.
Someday, when we look back on this, we'll both laugh nervously and change the subject. More is good. All is better.

Dannysaysnoo

Quote from: Tapewolf on October 06, 2009, 01:29:50 PM
Oh yeah, and Danny?  Thanks for pointing out Trisector to me.  It took me long enough to actually get the thing, but it's not a bad album.

You had trouble finding it? I saw about 2 more at the HMV near me.

Janus Whitefurr

I would just like to observe the utter surreality of the situation when I, long ago, found the anti-walkthroughs for Deus Ex (I went on to make JC be "ahead" in life), and then found out it was Tape who did them. I still have that 'wait, what?' reaction when I stumble over the anti-walkthroughs again at random times. :b

This one, on reading, seems.... lacking. Certainly amusing in spots, but it lacks that certain something. Or maybe may sense of humour's just dying a slow terrible death. At least I wasn't the only one who got the idea to make a nuke spell when using god mode :b I much preferred having Drain/Absorb Life junctioned to Paralysis (on touch) though. Why NOT freeze someone to the spot while they're slowly having their life sucked out?

This post has been brought to you by Bond. Janus Bond. And the Agency™. And possibly spy cameras.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Janus Whitefurr on October 06, 2009, 02:17:17 PM
This one, on reading, seems.... lacking. Certainly amusing in spots, but it lacks that certain something. Or maybe may sense of humour's just dying a slow terrible death.

We'll see.  But honestly?  There are problems with it.  The big issue I have with it is that Oblivion is a bit too strict about the way things happen.  The fish-hunting quest is a good example - they only come into existence when the quest starts, and when you kill one fish, the game creates the next one.  You can't come along, scoop out all the fish and then start the quest, presenting the guy with the scales you "just so happened to have".

As a result, writing this has been more akin to the Thief ones, since it's very difficult to actually break it by running things out of sequence.  As opposed to Morrowind, for example, where you can win the game in just under 8 minutes if you know what you're doing.

So yes, I found it enjoyable enough, but I haven't really been able to screw it up as thoroughly as I'd have liked.

Some of the ones where I did manage to bake it completely haven't been included because I'm missing the set - the Daedric quests, for example.  I managed to do over about half of those, but I haven't got them written up yet.

The real "WTF?" bugs have mostly been handled as video on youtube:  I do need to remember to add links to those.  That and most of the real head-turning ones have been dealt with on UESP already.

QuoteAt least I wasn't the only one who got the idea to make a nuke spell when using god mode :b I much preferred having Drain/Absorb Life junctioned to Paralysis (on touch) though. Why NOT freeze someone to the spot while they're slowly having their life sucked out?
You know... that's a really good idea.

Janus Whitefurr

Quote from: Tapewolf on October 06, 2009, 02:36:21 PM
Quote from: Janus Whitefurr on October 06, 2009, 02:17:17 PM
At least I wasn't the only one who got the idea to make a nuke spell when using god mode :b I much preferred having Drain/Absorb Life junctioned to Paralysis (on touch) though. Why NOT freeze someone to the spot while they're slowly having their life sucked out?
You know... that's a really good idea.

>:3

While we're here though, as it always happens to me when passing through Skingrad, when I saw you mention Count Hassildor the only thing I can ever think is "YOU DO NOT PRONOUNCE JANUS THAT WAY." Even if it an acceptable variation.
This post has been brought to you by Bond. Janus Bond. And the Agency™. And possibly spy cameras.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Janus Whitefurr on October 06, 2009, 03:56:28 PM
While we're here though, as it always happens to me when passing through Skingrad, when I saw you mention Count Hassildor the only thing I can ever think is "YOU DO NOT PRONOUNCE JANUS THAT WAY." Even if it an acceptable variation.

Heh.  There are a lot of things which bug me like that in this game.

BM: "Greetings!  You must be the Arcane University's newest-"
CD: "ARCH MAGE!"