Scribblenauts

Started by Rakala, September 18, 2009, 07:42:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rakala

This is actually a pretty cool game. When I first looked at it I figured it was a silly kids game, but having played it I like it.

For those of you who don't know, Scribblenauts is an action/puzzle game for the DS. It's main selling point is the ability to summon pretty much anything by using a small touch screen keyboard to spell out the name. I personally have tried almost everything I can think of and only one thing I've tried hasn't yielded a result, and that is you can't summon Obama. I've even had God fight Death (Death won and I just sat there wondering where I could go from there.) Examples of things you can summon are policemen, dogs, various weapons, an invisibility cloak, yourself, the full moon, Cthulhu, the Kraken, and even a mind control device.

The entire game is stylus controlled which is a little awkward at first but easy enough to get the hang of. There are basically two types of levels, puzzle and action. In puzzle levels you simply have to solve the puzzle. Figure out what objects could go into the hands of a doctor? The action levels are a little more interesting. For example there is a level with an object in a tree. How do you get it out? You can chop down the tree, you can get a ladder, or you can summon another person a baseball and a bat and knock the object out with the baseball. It's really quite interesting. It's fun thinking up more and different ways to solve the puzzle.

Janus Whitefurr

Quote from: Rakala on September 18, 2009, 07:42:29 AM
I personally have tried almost everything I can think of and only one thing I've tried hasn't yielded a result, and that is you can't summon Obama. I've even had God fight Death (Death won and I just sat there wondering where I could go from there.)

Saw this in a preview video long before the game came out, so either you tried it for yourself by chance, or you saw that video too and just had to try it yourself. The dialogue I saw was hilarious, the guy essentially said "Summoned Death, he started killing everything, so I summoned God, and then Death KILLED God, and I was like... what do I do now?"
This post has been brought to you by Bond. Janus Bond. And the Agency™. And possibly spy cameras.

ShadesFox

I found that the answer to that question is, "Black hole"
The All Purpose Fox

Janus Whitefurr

Quote from: ShadesFox on October 06, 2009, 10:55:12 PM
I found that the answer to that question is, "Black hole"

I first used that when you had to figure out a way past the tornado to the starite.

I then began abusing it with -everything- for giggles.
This post has been brought to you by Bond. Janus Bond. And the Agency™. And possibly spy cameras.

Tipod

Is it true that you can beat levels just by typing in the name of the object you have to get? If so then that's rad as hell.
"How is it that I should not worship Him who created me?"
"Indeed, I do not know why."

Ryudo Lee

Quote from: Tipod on October 07, 2009, 03:21:55 AM
Is it true that you can beat levels just by typing in the name of the object you have to get? If so then that's rad as hell.

Nope, tried that.  Sure, you get to hold the item, but it doesn't beat the level.

One amusing thing that I discovered... I wrote in "psycho" and it spawned a woman with a knife.

Another amusing thing, if you write in "LHC" it spawns the LHC.  Use it and it turns into a black hole.

Also, there are secret levels.  Use "teleporter" and "time machine".  It's amusing.

Thanks to Taski & Silverfoxr for the artwork!

ShadesFox

I once used a time machine.  Got a raptor.  Then I crushed I then crushed a bunch of suspiciously Nazi like solders with my raptor/SMG combo.
The All Purpose Fox

silentassassin

Vidar

Do the words 'TARDIS', 'Dalek', 'Enterprise', 'Cthulhu', and 'beer' work?
\^.^/ \O.O/ \¬.¬/ \O.^/ \o.o/ \-.-/' \O.o/ \0.0/ \>.</

Janus Whitefurr

Quote from: Vidar on October 11, 2009, 05:46:50 PM

While I don't have it with me at the moment, I can at least verify Cthulu.

I used him to beat up polar bears.

Valynth

Quote from: Vidar on October 11, 2009, 05:46:50 PM

I know Yahtzee complained about not being able to spawn alcohol, so beer's out.
The fate of the world always rests in the hands of an idiot.  You should start treating me better.
Chant for something good and it may happen
Chant for something bad and it will happen
C.O.D.:  Chronic high speed lead poisoning  (etch that on my grave)

Toric

The one word I have found to be absent when it realistically should be present: Lamchop.

Also, today I managed to kill two phoenixes by attaching a safe via rope to a pre-existing pteranodon flying back and forth across the stage. Wham! Wham! Wham! ...Apparently phoenixes do not rise from their own ashes after blunt trauma.
Yap by Silver.

Janus Whitefurr

Quote from: Toric on November 09, 2009, 10:26:46 PM
The one word I have found to be absent when it realistically should be present: Lamchop.

"Lambchop" There's a bunch of variants on meat in there, I've found.

Vidar

Quote from: Janus Whitefurr on November 10, 2009, 01:33:03 AM

Try "long pig". If that's in there, than this game is really scaring me.

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Vidar on November 10, 2009, 02:47:20 AM

If it is, it goes on my christmas list.

... In bigger, bolder letters than before, I mean.
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Janus Whitefurr

Spawns an actual wandering pig, that's all.

I promptly summoned a panther to eat it, fed the panther ham and chicken to make it go to sleep, then used a shrink ray on the panther and tried to stuff it in a basket.

Toric

i fael English furevur. :B However, I'm still quite proud of my SecuriFlail.
Yap by Silver.

Ryudo Lee

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on November 10, 2009, 03:57:38 AM

If it is, it goes on my christmas list.

... In bigger, bolder letters than before, I mean.

It would spawn just a normal pig.  The way the game works, if it doesn't understand the prefix but does understand the object, it will just spawn the object as normal, but it will treat it as a unique object, for getting through advanced mode.  So "Pig" and "Long Pig" will both spawn a pig, but each will be unique, you won't get accused of "same word".

Thanks to Taski & Silverfoxr for the artwork!

JackLee1978

In the stage that you have to scare or give some sweets to some trick or treaters, I dropped a corpse on them. They did nothing.

ShadesFox

Yea, those kids are pretty hard. I made a raptor attack the cat, they killed eachother. Then I threw the raptor meat at the kids. 
The All Purpose Fox

Rakala

This game is fairly hardcore. I once attached a baby to a fishing pole and used it as bait for the Kraken. I am terrible.

Vidar

Quote from: Rakala on December 21, 2009, 02:17:23 AM
This game is fairly hardcore. I once attached a baby to a fishing pole and used it as bait for the Kraken. I am terrible.

It doesn't happen very often that a game comes along that lets you do horrible things to babies. I might still look into this thing.  >:3