The Outer Quarter (comic)

Started by Kage, August 30, 2009, 09:33:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kage

First on going comic page is up.  My apologies in advanced on its terribleness.

Available on:
Deviant Art
Fur Affinity or
My Website
I am the Patron Saint of Mediocrity.

Tapewolf

I think it shows promise.  One thing that I'm a little confused about - what's the rough age of the main character?

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Kage

bradypodidae

I am... intrigued. And to sorta echo Tapewolf, it is a good start. I fail to see the 'terribleness' you mention.
Heroic adventuring at the speed of slow.
Never mistake kindness as a sign of weakness.
Not a complete idiot, parts missing.

Dropping Proeliator from the name was way overdue.

Avi by Tabi

USMC

Tapewolf

Quote from: Kage on August 31, 2009, 12:23:44 PM
He's 15 in this comic.

That makes sense.  The setting and attitude were about right for it, but he didn't quite look the part.  That might just be my lack of familiarity with the characters and art-style though.

Kage

Kage

Tapewolf

Oo, nice.  Are you going to go back and colour/shade the other two?

Kage

I don't know....  I would like to, but I don't know if I'm going to have the time.  The way I color does not lend itself well to fast production.   >_<

Tapewolf

Quote from: Kage on September 21, 2009, 06:48:18 AM
I don't know....  I would like to, but I don't know if I'm going to have the time.  The way I color does not lend itself well to fast production.   >_<

If that's why it took a while for this to update, then yeah.  Is it the shading or are you doing something weird in terms of the flat-colour?  Because the flats can usually be done pretty quickly.

Kage

A little of column A, a little of column B.   I'm sure there's a faster way for me to lay down my flats than what I'm doing now.   (Which usually either involves a hard paint brush, or the poly lasso tool in photoshop)

GabrielsThoughts

Love the coloring...you should go back and to the first two pages.

As for the manga/manwa  arts style the age thing is confusing for me in general.  In anime I've seen characters where an 13 year old girl and her 20 something aunt look the same age... even worse I've seen a 17 year old boy who looks like a 13 year old girl!!! so believe me when I say your character design is better than acceptable for the style it's drawn in.
   clickity click click click. Quote in personal text is from Walter Bishop of Fringe.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Kage on September 21, 2009, 06:55:14 AM
A little of column A, a little of column B.   I'm sure there's a faster way for me to lay down my flats than what I'm doing now.   (Which usually either involves a hard paint brush, or the poly lasso tool in photoshop)

Close the gaps in the lineart and flood-fill.  That does require that the lineart be reduced to straight black/white rather than grey levels (or you'll get white blotches) but if you do that (and work at high resolution) it saves a lot of time and looks pretty good when it's scaled back down.

Kage

llearch n'n'daCorna

Interesting. Is the shiny earring supposed to indicate something, or is it just firelight and flare because you like fiddling with things? ;-]
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Mao

Tapewolf

Dammit man, stop moving it... each time you update the comic it breaks my bookmarks  :<

Anyway, it's looking nice.  Critique-wise, it might have been a better idea to add windows or something to the skyscrapers because otherwise they look like cubes.  Interesting that they exist at all, though - I'd pegged this as a medieval-fantasy type thing.  Also interesting to see a mix of humans and anthros.

One final critique, add dividers in the hyperlinks.  I initially misread it as "HQ accomplishes riots, graffiti" and took it to be a particularly random strip title.

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Tapewolf on October 17, 2009, 07:19:34 AM
Dammit man, stop moving it... each time you update the comic it breaks my bookmarks  :<

It's been in the same place the whole time: http://theouterquarter.com/

Did you bookmark the individual strips or something? ;-]

Tapewolf

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on October 17, 2009, 07:46:49 AM

I bookmarked the strip index.

Kage

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on October 17, 2009, 07:01:49 AM
Interesting. Is the shiny earring supposed to indicate something, or is it just firelight and flare because you like fiddling with things? ;-]

Quote from: Mao Laoren on October 17, 2009, 07:10:34 AM
Sweet flare!

It doesn't imply anything its just the glint of the fire in the metals.  I'll note that I do those by hand and don't use the lens flare plug-in.

Quote from: Tapewolf on October 17, 2009, 07:19:34 AM
Dammit man, stop moving it... each time you update the comic it breaks my bookmarks  :<

Anyway, it's looking nice.  Critique-wise, it might have been a better idea to add windows or something to the skyscrapers because otherwise they look like cubes.  Interesting that they exist at all, though - I'd pegged this as a medieval-fantasy type thing.  Also interesting to see a mix of humans and anthros.

One final critique, add dividers in the hyperlinks.  I initially misread it as "HQ accomplishes riots, graffiti" and took it to be a particularly random strip title.

I know, one of the buildings had a lot of detail, but after doing it and realizing just how far I'd be zoomed out from them I decided to just draw some cubes and be done with it.  (I'm lazy)

I'll look into adding dividers.

EDIT: I'll note that the setting is more like rifts

Quote from: Tapewolf on October 17, 2009, 08:08:01 AM
Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on October 17, 2009, 07:46:49 AM

I bookmarked the strip index.

I post a link directly to the comic's article, but yea, the main page always displays the latest one.

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Kage on October 17, 2009, 09:12:15 PM
Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on October 17, 2009, 07:01:49 AM

Quote from: Mao Laoren on October 17, 2009, 07:10:34 AM
Sweet flare!
It doesn't imply anything its just the glint of the fire in the metals.  I'll note that I do those by hand and don't use the lens flare plug-in.

It quite caught my eye, and is well done, there. Meaningless or not. ;-]

Kage

Tapewolf

Oooh, is this the character creation bit?  :P

Seriously, it's quite nice.  I didn't notice the simplistic backgrounds at first.  As for the poll, since I'm only liable to attend AC at the moment, I figured I'd better pass rather than pollute the results of the poll.

Kage

A B&W version of page 6 is now up:

Website
DeviantART

(FurAffinity is currently down so I can't post it there right now.)

Once I get the colored version done, I'll reupload the new version.  (Which might be only after my tummy decides it wants to behave again.....  :ill)

Tapewolf

Quote from: Kage on December 01, 2009, 10:17:28 PM
Once I get the colored version done, I'll reupload the new version.  (Which might be only after my tummy decides it wants to behave again.....  :ill)

Looks good.  Get well soon, by the way...

Kage

Drayco84

Quote from: Tapewolf on November 03, 2009, 04:06:40 PM
Oooh, is this the character creation bit?  :P

Seriously, it's quite nice.  I didn't notice the simplistic backgrounds at first.  As for the poll, since I'm only liable to attend AC at the moment, I figured I'd better pass rather than pollute the results of the poll.
(O_O) Oh... Ehm... Gee... That's the Ultima 6 personality test, isn't it? (Has to be, it makes about as much sense as I remember...)

The art looks pretty good, and your characters look like they have a high tendency to be athletic. Being a geek, I'm obligated to despise that, but I'm still trying to get over how freaking sexy your main character looks... (<_<) (o_O) Wha-? AUGH! I MEAN, NEEDS MOAR BEWBAGE!

Still have no idea who his childhood friend is. (Who else openly mocks someone for staring at a member of the opposite gender?)

And just to be clear, you ARE aware that in tarot, the meaning of a card is inverted when the card itself is inverted as well, correct? Never mind, looks like you've done your research. Thus, allowing anyone that knows tarot card meanings a very easy way of ascertaining a number of Kage's character traits.

The only real nitpick I have is that your comic numbers keep jumping up and around and the childhood friend doesn't have the dark coloration on her torso and ears in comic #2. Nor does the forture teller have slightly darker markings on her hands/shoulders in #6 that are seen in #7. Again, it's more of a nitpick than anything else.

The characters themselves look like a very good blend of humans with animal traits, with heavy leaning on human. So, I'd say you're hitting a very consistent 50% on the furry scale. (Shown below.) Sorry, I couldn't find any "nice" ones.

Viewing the page source I see that you're using stylesheets... Which means that your web design is MUCH smarter than mine... So please tell me, what do you use to make your pages?

EDIT: Added disclaimer/warning label.

Edit 2: Removed warning label...

Kage

Quote from: Drayco84 on March 03, 2010, 03:47:18 PM
The art looks pretty good, and your characters look like they have a high tendency to be athletic. Being a geek, I'm obligated to despise that, but I'm still trying to get over how freaking sexy your main character looks... (<_<) (o_O) Wha-? AUGH! I MEAN, NEEDS MOAR BEWBAGE!

Happens, but in my own defense I haven't quite mastered varying my body types yet.

Still have no idea who his childhood friend is. (Who else openly mocks someone for staring at a member of the opposite gender?)

Hammer, meet nail!   I'm sure you'll all be good friends.    You'll find out more about her later though.

And just to be clear, you ARE aware that in tarot, the meaning of a card is inverted when the card itself is inverted as well, correct? Never mind, looks like you've done your research. Thus, allowing anyone that knows tarot card meanings a very easy way of ascertaining a number of Kage's character traits.

Quite, I don't generally throw something in unless I at least have a somewhat comprehensible understanding about what I'm talking about first.   (Or find someone who does who can explain it to me)

The only real nitpick I have is that your comic numbers keep jumping up and around...

If you're referring to the number in the URL, I have no control over that.  Its a number generated by the database in a table and has no relation to the actual comic numbers themselves.

... and the childhood friend doesn't have the dark coloration on her torso and ears in comic #2.

It was suggested to me to change her look slightly by adding a stripe; and so I did.  I have not gone back and changed the previous comics yet.

Nor does the forture teller have slightly darker markings on her hands/shoulders in #6 that are seen in #7. Again, it's more of a nitpick than anything else.

I think you might be confusing the fortune teller with the dancer seen on previous pages (#7 is the first time the fortune teller shows up fully and in color).   I could spoil why these two characters look the same, or..... >:3

I think I see what you're referring to now, but I see nothing on her hands in #6.

The characters themselves look like a very good blend of humans with animal traits, with heavy leaning on human. So, I'd say you're hitting a very consistent 50% on the furry scale. ....

My start was mostly doing Anime-ish type art, and its gone from there; thus many of my characters look more "human" than a traditional anthro.   (That and snouts drive me crazy, I have yet to figure out how to draw them w/o looking horrible!)

Viewing the page source I see that you're using stylesheets... Which means that your web design is MUCH smarter than mine... So please tell me, what do you use to make your pages?

I edit with a text editor of choice; I don't use anything that actually "generates" my style sheets if that's what your wondering.

Also keep in mind, some of those CSS pages aren't my own but are part of the base content of how WordPress/ComicPress operate.   I made adjustments and changes from there.

bradypodidae

Do you intend to continue broadcasting your work on the comic and other projects Mondays on Justin TV? And if so, do you plan to drop a blurb in the "Tower of Fiends" here on CMF? Might draw in a few more viewers who are a little more livelier than me.
Heroic adventuring at the speed of slow.
Never mistake kindness as a sign of weakness.
Not a complete idiot, parts missing.

Dropping Proeliator from the name was way overdue.

Avi by Tabi

USMC

Tapewolf

(O_O) Oh... Ehm... Gee... That's the Ultima 6 personality test, isn't it? (Has to be, it makes about as much sense as I remember...)

It was somewhat hacked around, but yeah.