have any of you also imagined WHY don't bosses team up against us heroes?

Started by Leafar, July 19, 2006, 11:35:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leafar

well...instead of ''hey guys did you know slogra was defeated??''
yeah, belmont must be in his way here man''...so erm, i am getting to my place now man, see you later, greeting to belmont for me''...''see ya dude''!!!! :zombiekun2

Damaris

You're used to flame wars with flames... this is more like EZ-Bake Oven wars.   ~Amber
If you want me to play favorites, keep wanking. I'll choose which hand to favour when I pimpslap you down.   ~Amber

Malakin

"The only limit to my freedom is the inevitable closure of the
universe, as inevitable as your own last breath. And yet,
there remains time to create, to create, and escape.

Escape will make me God.
"

Leafar

oh, you guys apologize me.....i was drunk last night...might as well be deleted by some slayer mod! :XD

Jorge D. Fuentes

I know two games in which bosses teamed up:
1.  Kirby's Adventure (NES), later on GBA as "Nightmare in Dreamland" has Sun and Moon tagteaming to attack Kirby.
2. Symphony of the Night (PSX) has Slogra and Gaibon teaming together to attack... although they've become quite incompetent.  I guess after Simon Belmont thrashed them, they lost their motivation.

There are games in which bosses fight you in a Row, too.  In Rondo of Blood, you have to fight the Giant Bat, Medusa, Frankie, Akmodan, and then Shaft, all in succession.  In Gradius III, you have to fight a number of Bosses in a row in a stage the game's US Instruction Booklet aptly named "Mayors on Parade".

I'm sure there are others.  ;)

King Of Hearts

They are too lazy to leave their own boss chambers and too selfish to share it with other bosses...

Or they are just subconsciously trying to get themselves killed because they know deep in their hearts that god must triumph over evil.

Xuzaf D

Or maybe it's because game devolopers don't want to place all the best charactor renders at one point in the game.

Arcalane

Quote from: Jorge D. Fuentes on July 21, 2006, 09:22:30 PM2. Symphony of the Night (PSX) has Slogra and Gaibon teaming together to attack... although they've become quite incompetent.  I guess after Simon Belmont thrashed them, they lost their motivation.

I know for certain that they show up repeatedly later on - particularly in the inverted castle. Sometimes even more than one of each on screen!

CutMan

Well, if it adds to the conversation, I remember a "TMNT: Turtles in Time" that pit you against two bosses at the same time. The only problem with that one was once one of them was defeated, he would 'accidently' attack his partner until they both killed eachother. They did that on two different occasions, I think. Anyways, just adding to the conversation, here...

Leafar

Quote from: Jorge D. Fuentes on July 21, 2006, 09:22:30 PM
. In Rondo of Blood, you have to fight the Giant Bat, Medusa, Frankie, Akmodan, and then Shaft, all in succession.

unholy crap, that was an extremelly hard party to beat...just wow...just to hard...maybe the hardest part of cv ever....and i play it on pcengine (i own one) and i can't use savestates :( why don't consoles have savastates??!!!! (sobs) :(

bill

Jack McSlay

this could be explained byt that the enemy has  too many valuable places to protect. it would be dumb to safeguard one base hoping the hero will be there  and leave all the others unguarded.

then again, there's bosses have nothing to do with the main villain at all, such as the reptids on Chrono Trigger
Keyboard not detected. Press F1 to resume.

EvilIguana966

Quotehave any of you also imagined WHY don't bosses team up against us heroes?

Well, look at it from their perspective.  Put yourself in the shoes of an evil overlord.  Assume that attacks on your organization are relatively common.  Given that you are a powerful leader, it's safe to say that none thus far have ultimately suceeded.  Now another would-be-hero steps up and challenges you or your organization.  It is a pretty safe assumption that he is no more competant or powerful than any of the others.  Obviously that is a miscalculation on your part this time around, one that ultimately leads to the hero's success and the progress of his particular story.  Remember that nopt even evil overlords are immune to the laws of economics and management.  They have finite resources like the rest of us.  To allocate a large contingent of powerful leaders/bosses and/or legions of henchmen to one particular place necessarily means that you are taking those resources from somewhere else.  And since that one powerful hero could attack any of those places that are now weakened, doing so would be foolhardy at best, disastrous at worst. 

However, that does not immunize some game bosses from being considered morons.  Sometimes the stupidity is just transparent, which can detract from the immersion factor.  Good games take this into account and design better, more believable boss battles.

Leafar

Netami

Many bosses would fight each other if put in the same room.  D:

Leafar

that's a thing i never tought about before!!!!!!!
and its quite obvious....mmmm.....galamoth would probably smash everyone's behinds :p lol

Nimrods Son

Quote from: Leafar on July 24, 2006, 05:45:13 PM
galamoth would probably smash everyone's behinds :p lol
quite sure, he's just as bad a mothafxxxa as anyone in the whole castle... Galamoth, especially, is more of an enemy to the Disco King of Darkness AND to his son Alucard alike than a proper ally to Drac's little kingdom. (That should have been worked out better in SOTN, which has a disturbing lack of story anyway). That is, if you consider the Kid Dracula games "official" episodes..
I do, and not just because I like Alucard.
In fact, I prefer his younger self over the gayish adult manifestation.

Leafar

BAAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!
THAT'S WHY RICH RULEZ SOTN!!!!!! :cool lol

Jack McSlay

Quote from: Netami on July 24, 2006, 04:14:09 PMMany bosses would fight each other if put in the same room.  D:
*memories from classic Doom games*
Keyboard not detected. Press F1 to resume.