05/18/09 [DMFA #1004] - Words of Wisdom: Don't Die

Started by AmigaDragon, May 18, 2009, 01:18:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arcblade

Quote from: Naldru on May 19, 2009, 03:06:36 PMIt is also possible that dragons are procrastinators and a little on the lazy side.  They'll crush their enemies when they get around to it.

The word you're looking for is "careful."  :mowtongue  It's a common failing of the more long-lived races.  They wait for the absolute perfect moment, and don't take anything less. 

Aganerral

Quote from: Naldru on May 19, 2009, 03:06:36 PM
I think that it is a safe bet that she is both large and at large.

Also considering that cubi clan leaders have psychic links to their clan and the fact that cubi can read thoughts and enter dreams, it is quite possible that they are like radio transmitters.  Now that the dragons have Edward, they are probably twiddling the knobs on their psychic radios to trace down the few clan members who have had the bad taste to survive.  Paintings and carvings on headboards wouldn't have this traceable aura.  It is also possible that dragons are procrastinators and a little on the lazy side.  They'll crush their enemies when they get around to it.

Except that Edward is a being, barring the Edward = Aniz theory :)  So having him probably wouldn't help too much to track down the cubi clans.

Corgatha Taldorthar

Something that occured to me, a weird branch of speculation.

We know that extremely powerful 'Cubi have to do something that makes them ascend to Tri-Wings, with a by-product of sterilization. That means any children that the clan founder wished to have must be born (or at least concieved. What happens if a pregnant succubus tries to ascend?) beforehand. Now, if all 'Cubi are part of some clan, it means that the clan founder, and probably his/her descendants make the switch to the new clan when this ascencion begins.

What I'm wondering is if a clan leader can be replaced. If you have whatever clan, and the clan founder dies, while I assume one of the descendants, if sufficiently powerful, can ascend him/herself and start a new clan, can one of them take the empty "seat" and ascend to the clan leader of the old one?
Someday, when we look back on this, we'll both laugh nervously and change the subject. More is good. All is better.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Corgatha Taldorthar on May 19, 2009, 07:51:24 PM
What I'm wondering is if a clan leader can be replaced. If you have whatever clan, and the clan founder dies, while I assume one of the descendants, if sufficiently powerful, can ascend him/herself and start a new clan, can one of them take the empty "seat" and ascend to the clan leader of the old one?

I believe Aary's journal mentioned that it was possible to transfer the power of the clan leader to another member.  Dunno quite how canon that is, and I certainly don't know if it ascends the new leader.
Since ascension renders the founder immortal, they usually only die if they're killed.  That would tend to scupper any plans for passing on the baton...

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Jairus

Quote from: Tapewolf on May 19, 2009, 07:59:26 PM
Since ascension renders the founder immortal, they usually only die if they're killed.  That would tend to scupper any plans for passing on the baton...
Erupting Burning Sekiha Hell and Heaven Tenkyoken Tatsumaki Zankantō!!
NEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRDS! - Amber Williams
"And again I say unto you: bite me." - Harry Dresden
You'll catch crap no matter what sort of net you throw out - Me

Netrogo

Once upon a time I actually posted here.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Netrogo on May 20, 2009, 08:21:32 AM
they usually only die if they're killed
:erk

By which I mean "deliberately killed".  Yes, that was written past my bedtime...

Netrogo

Quote from: Tapewolf on May 20, 2009, 08:31:19 AM
By which I mean "deliberately killed".  Yes, that was written past my bedtime...

Sorry couldn't resist. Atleast I didn't post the mile long image macro citing every time that blunder has shown up in anime :mwaha
Once upon a time I actually posted here.

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: inuhanyo on May 18, 2009, 10:17:29 PM
And Arryanna sensed Fa'Lina's aura after Fa'Lina had just left Lost Lake.  I imagine that the dragons are actively seeking Destania and Cyra both, and possibly have some kind of magical alarms covering Lost Lake, which is Destania's last known (to them) location.  However they haven't sent anyone to toss the place and finding the Cyra clan mark in a location that Destania has lived in for 25 years wouldn't be considered a clue.

I do wonder if Pyroduck isn't sent by the Dragons as well as Fa'Lina. He's certainly had enough access to find the Cyra Clan icons around the place...
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Shachza

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on May 20, 2009, 08:54:30 AM
And Arryanna sensed Fa'Lina's aura after Fa'Lina had just left Lost Lake.  I imagine that the dragons are actively seeking Destania and Cyra both, and possibly have some kind of magical alarms covering Lost Lake, which is Destania's last known (to them) location.  However they haven't sent anyone to toss the place and finding the Cyra clan mark in a location that Destania has lived in for 25 years wouldn't be considered a clue.

I do wonder if Pyroduck isn't sent by the Dragons as well as Fa'Lina. He's certainly had enough access to find the Cyra Clan icons around the place...

Disturbed thought:  What if Pyroduck's involvement with Alexi is purposeful...   "Marry into the Cyra clan and secure peace."
            <-- #1 that is!

Naldru

According to Demonology 101, dragons are generally solitary.  That would make think it unlikely that dragons would do anything as a large group.  However, there might be other dragons who want to end the hostilities and this faction could conceivably ask Pyroduck to see what he could do.  Perhaps Fa'lina saved a few baby dragons from death during the wars and they are trying to repay her by ending the war.  Anybody out there ever read the story Enemy Mine or seen the movie.  There could also be a few Fae (particularly Mab) trying to promote this peace making effort.

I can't see marrying into the Cyra clan to secure peace working unless Pyroduck belonged to the clan that was trying to wipe out the Siar and Cyra clans.

By the way, has anybody out there seen the Outer Limits episode Architects of Fear.  There are possibilities in that type of plot.

P.S.

For personal reasons, I will be unable to attend Anthrocon and I am really bummed out about it.
Learn to laugh at yourself, and you will never be without a source of amusement.

Garsemor

Quote from: Shachza on May 20, 2009, 02:05:12 PM

Disturbed thought:  What if Pyroduck's involvement with Alexi is purposeful...   "Marry into the Cyra clan and secure peace."

Well he might have been sent by the dragons but not Fa'Lina if you remember page 729 Fa'Lina's words were "Seriously Ducky. What reason would you possibly want to be near the kill zone that makes up Destania's family." So she had no idea he he was near Cyra clan.
I dough that Pyro was asked by dragons to forge a peace 1) Pyro was met at random 2) he only stayed because Alexsi offered him a room + he is frightened by Fa'Lina's B talk. So if he is forming an peace he is hiding it super well.

Cvstos

Quote from: Garsemor on May 20, 2009, 03:14:39 PM

Well he might have been sent by the dragons but not Fa'Lina if you remember page 729 Fa'Lina's words were "Seriously Ducky. What reason would you possibly want to be near the kill zone that makes up Destania's family." So she had no idea he he was near Cyra clan.
I dough that Pyro was asked by dragons to forge a peace 1) Pyro was met at random 2) he only stayed because Alexsi offered him a room + he is frightened by Fa'Lina's B talk. So if he is forming an peace he is hiding it super well.

Wait, what? I'm pretty sure that at the very least it strikes me as EXTREMELY likely that all three (Alexsi, Pyroduck, and Fa'Lina) knew that the clan involved is Cyra.
"The problems that exist in the world today cannot be solved by the level of thinking that created them." - Albert Einstein

"Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocrities. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence." -Albert Einstein

Raffe

Quote from: Cvstos on May 20, 2009, 04:00:00 PM
Quote from: Garsemor on May 20, 2009, 03:14:39 PM

Wait, what? I'm pretty sure that at the very least it strikes me as EXTREMELY likely that all three (Alexsi, Pyroduck, and Fa'Lina) knew that the clan involved is Cyra.
What she didnt know was that Pyroduck would hang around them, for all she knew, he could have been halfway around the world. (bar precognition)
Hooray ellipsis!

inuhanyo

Ah, but recall that Alexsi is Dan's half sister and Destania's step daughter, and therefore not part of clan Cyra. 

And while that could be changed, no one in canon has even thought about it.

I wonder how Cyra would react to an introduction to Alexsi?

Shachza

Quote from: inuhanyo on May 20, 2009, 10:12:14 PM

Ah, but recall that Alexsi is Dan's half sister and Destania's step daughter, and therefore not part of clan Cyra. 

And while that could be changed, no one in canon has even thought about it.

Well, it's not so much about marrying into the clan as marrying someone who can influence the clan.  Dan was too something (I got nothing), Destania was on the hit-list, and Cyra was MIA.  Alexi would be plan B, and still be a good way to apply pressure on Dastania to back down.

Keep in mind we're talking dragons here.  You've gotta be prepared for fae-level multi-pronged forward thinking.
"If I get a butterfly to land on Jyrras' nose on april 17th at 3pm he'll swerve his bike to the left; 5 miles away 2 minutes later some being named Mengu will spill a cup of iced tea on Alexi so Pyro can offer her a towel and be offered a place to stay.  It's flawless!"
            <-- #1 that is!

Keleth

Since ascension renders the founder immortal, they usually only die if they're killed. 

Immortal - not mortal; not liable or subject to death; undying: our immortal souls

I think what you people refer to as immortal is actually ageless. If something was actually immortal, it couldn't die. Therefore, cubi aren't immortal, neither are clan leaders. Just powerful ageless beings.
Help! I'm gay!

Tapewolf

Quote from: Drathorin on May 21, 2009, 08:47:27 AM
I think what you people refer to as immortal is actually ageless. If something was actually immortal, it couldn't die. Therefore, cubi aren't immortal, neither are clan leaders. Just powerful ageless beings.

That may be.  Not my description, though - that's just how Amber worded it.

Kenway975

Since ascension renders the founder immortal, they usually only die if they're killed. 

Immortal - not mortal; not liable or subject to death; undying: our immortal souls

Please note: while it is generally accepted that Gods are immortal, there have been several religions (both fictitious and real) where the God of the Dead/Afterlife was dead, by either choice or by being murdered. One example: the Ancient Egyptian god Osiris. If you go by the D&D 3.5 Deities and Demigods, while Gods might be immortal, they can still be killed off my the use of violence.

inuhanyo

The word is almost never used precisely.  And, as Tapewolf points out, even some gods are not true immortals.  The Norse gods are another example.  They weren't even innately ageless.

AmigaDragon

Quote from: Shachza on May 21, 2009, 01:23:32 AM
Quote from: inuhanyo on May 20, 2009, 10:12:14 PM

Darn, beat me to it! I guess that happens when I work more than a day a week. :mowwink

QuoteAnd while that could be changed, no one in canon has even thought about it.

Well, it's not so much about marrying into the clan as marrying someone who can influence the clan.  Dan was too something (I got nothing), Destania was on the hit-list, and Cyra was MIA.  Alexi would be plan B, and still be a good way to apply pressure on Dastania to back down.

First, they'd have to know of Dee's marriage to Edward. Second, knowing that would paint a huge target on Dan, not Alexsi. And third,they'd have to assume that Alexsi can influence her or the clan enough for their purposes.
"Cogito, ergo es. I think, therefore you is." Ray D. Tutto (King of the Moon) to Baron Munschaussen

Corgatha Taldorthar

Don't the dragons know about Dee's marriage to Edward? I thought it was only my crackpot theory that suggested that Dee got involved because Edward did. Everyone else (and me too, I was really being devil's advocate above) seems to think that the Dragons grabbed Edward to put pressure on Dee.
Someday, when we look back on this, we'll both laugh nervously and change the subject. More is good. All is better.

MT Hazard

Quote from: Corgatha Taldorthar on May 23, 2009, 01:53:59 PM
Don't the dragons know about Dee's marriage to Edward? I thought it was only my crackpot theory that suggested that Dee got involved because Edward did. Everyone else (and me too, I was really being devil's advocate above) seems to think that the Dragons grabbed Edward to put pressure on Dee.

Yes they do, they put him in stasis apparently.

Oh as far I can tell
Quote from: Kenway975 on May 21, 2009, 07:16:16 PM

Please note: while it is generally accepted that Gods are immortal, there have been several religions (both fictitious and real) where the God of the Dead/Afterlife was dead, by either choice or by being murdered. One example: the Ancient Egyptian god Osiris. If you go by the D&D 3.5 Deities and Demigods, while Gods might be immortal, they can still be killed off my the use of violence.

I agree with immortal more likely meaning ageless. Invincible on the other hand means (mostly) that somebody can not be killed, but can die of old age. To add further confusion characters like the highlander are described as immortal and as a side effect, highly resilient but not invincible (decapitation does them in).

Every time someone has an 'immortal' character the concept is changed again, ranging from immortal thus god like to simply not subject to ageing, probably it just sounds better than 'they live a really long time'.

The word Invincible  is less often used, unless it's being shouted by someone who is due to die shortly.
Grammar and I Don't always get on.

Link of the moment:  Sleepless domain (web comic) 

Naldru

Actually invincible means that one can't be defeated.  In Marvel Comics, Galactus didn't appear able to be killed, but he was defeated a number of times.

I'm also not sure if invincible means that one can't be killed in combat.  If an individual launches a suicide attack against the enemy and destroys his target before he is killed, has he or she really been defeated. 
Learn to laugh at yourself, and you will never be without a source of amusement.