05/02/09 [DMFA #996] - Subsection:shut up

Started by LoneHowler, May 02, 2009, 03:35:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JackTheCubiWolf

That would just be weird, even for this comic.
I'm back, and tired.

Don

The confident Jyrras is awsome, but the old non-confident Jyrras will be missed..

Wildy seems quite interested in the idea, wonder how she'll play into the scene.

Quote from: Lowde on May 02, 2009, 05:55:15 AM

It's actually nice having a gay character that isn't all cliche and "fabulously" gay.

Very much Agreed.

Baal Hadad

Okay, who says "going to the other team"?

Seriously, that's like the second time I've ever heard that expression and had no idea what Wildy was talking about just at first....

But--gotta love Jyrras's use of the language in that last panel!   :giggle

techmaster-glitch

Quote from: Baal Hadad on May 03, 2009, 12:05:06 AM

Seriously, that's like the second time I've ever heard that expression and had no idea what Wildy was talking about just at first....
You must get around even less than I do :/

Baal Hadad

Quote from: techmaster-glitch on May 03, 2009, 12:05:56 AM
Quote from: Baal Hadad on May 03, 2009, 12:05:06 AM

You must get around even less than I do :/

I'd agree with that.

Seriously, though, it's a bizarre expression with unfortunate ramifications....  I'm not blaming Amber, though, but I am blaming whoever originated the expression and the people who use it for real.  It makes homosexuality sound like treason.

AmigaDragon

Quote from: GabrielsThoughts on May 02, 2009, 09:13:10 PM
I think it would be funny if Nutmeg's fay curse also had a "compulsion" attached to it that also affected Jyrras personality.

That's Albanion's curse. Or are you referring to "Rainbows for everyone"?

Edit:
  Fixed your link. Hope you don't mind.
    -- llearch n'n'daCorna
"Cogito, ergo es. I think, therefore you is." Ray D. Tutto (King of the Moon) to Baron Munschaussen

Baal Hadad

Quote from: AmigaDragon on May 03, 2009, 12:53:40 AM
Quote from: GabrielsThoughts on May 02, 2009, 09:13:10 PM
I think it would be funny if Nutmeg's fay curse also had a "compulsion" attached to it that also affected Jyrras personality.

Fixed.  Sorry about that....

techmaster-glitch

Quote from: Baal Hadad on May 03, 2009, 12:06:45 AM
Seriously, though, it's a bizarre expression with unfortunate ramifications....  I'm not blaming Amber, though, but I am blaming whoever originated the expression and the people who use it for real.  It makes homosexuality sound like treason.
Well...here's another example if you care...
http://gigaville.com/comic.php?id=240
punchline and page title.

Really, it's just an unusual euphemism.

Baal Hadad

Quote from: techmaster-glitch on May 03, 2009, 01:11:27 AM
Quote from: Baal Hadad on May 03, 2009, 12:06:45 AM
Well...here's another example if you care...
http://gigaville.com/comic.php?id=240
punchline and page title.

Really, it's just an unusual euphemism.

Reason enough not to use it--I wouldn't have gotten what was meant there either.  :P

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Baal Hadad on May 03, 2009, 01:14:28 AM
Reason enough not to use it--I wouldn't have gotten what was meant there either.  :P

Heh. The more usual term is "batting for both teams" - with the euphemistic "bat" in there, it makes it more overt, I think.

Of course, there's lots of people who don't get that, and then start using the wrong term; English gets modified, and we all have to live with a pointless, meaningless euphemism...
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Howl

Quote from: AmigaDragon on May 03, 2009, 12:53:40 AM

Going over that thing with Albanion makes me want to use whatever I need to make him want to die. Or at least cause him eternal pain, suffering, and agony, but either works.

Lisky

Going over this whole Jy is gay or bi, or bi-curious, and preferably straight... and the euphemisms involved...
just remember, just because you eat a salad doesn't make you a vegetarian  :P

I support the demon race (usually with my hands)!   Also... LOOK A DISTRACTION! -->

Jairus

Quote from: Basilisk2150 on May 03, 2009, 01:19:06 PM
Going over this whole jay is gay or bi, or bi-curious, and preferably straight... and the euphemisms involved...
just remember, just because you eat a salad doesn't make you a vegetarian  :P
Oh, right, Everyone's Gay For Abel and all that. That would kind of skew the results a bit...

BTW, it's Jy, not Jay. Let's not drag me and my sexuality into this discussion, okay?
Erupting Burning Sekiha Hell and Heaven Tenkyoken Tatsumaki Zankantō!!
NEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRDS! - Amber Williams
"And again I say unto you: bite me." - Harry Dresden
You'll catch crap no matter what sort of net you throw out - Me

Lisky

my apologies...  the fingers moved faster than the thoughts behind them

I support the demon race (usually with my hands)!   Also... LOOK A DISTRACTION! -->

inuhanyo

Michael Chandra

So he realized before the crush even started? o_o

To be honest I doubt Abel has realized so far, he hasn't had many chances and Jy was kind of covering it up during all contact. After his being used to reading, he'll probably take some more time to figure this one out.

inuhanyo

Quote from: Michael Chandra on May 03, 2009, 09:16:52 PM
So he realized before the crush even started? o_o

To be honest I doubt Abel has realized so far, he hasn't had many chances and Jy was kind of covering it up during all contact. After his being used to reading, he'll probably take some more time to figure this one out.

608, 3d panel
Abel: "'Sides. Your thoughts are annoying. ... And why would it be my business to know who the latest poor unwitting sap you have fallen for is ... so Yeah.  ... See you around, fluff-tuff."
4th panel
Jyrass:  :cvheart

I think Abel saw it coming.

Ahem, Note Jyrass in panel one of #966
Jyrass: "... and now I'm cursed for who knows how long."

Well, this settles the question how Wildy knows about the Fae curse bangles, Jyrass just finished giving her the briefing.