04/10/09 [Abel 2 #51] - Clan of Woe

Started by inuhanyo, April 10, 2009, 02:13:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tapewolf

Quote from: inuhanyo on April 16, 2009, 06:59:32 PM
Jin's clan was negotiating to open a children's hospital, and then there is the Joybringer clan.  That's it, and even those are speculative.  We know that clans exist that have affinities for some positive emotions, but no examples have been explicitly given.

There's a possible connection that can be drawn around pages 43, 44 and page 48.

On page 43 we have a number of happy 'Cubi, with the exception of the guy irritated at the Confusion-Griffin's hyperactivity.
Then, on page 44 we have Mink's(?) general outlook and reaction to Abel.  On that same page, Fa'Lina says that 'Cubi prefer to keep to a particular lounge.
On page 48, Destania describes the area as "this saccharine wing of the Academy".

I would not be at all surprised if the 'Cubi lounges are grouped around particular affinities.  This would only make sense, since they tend to feed off each other's emotions while in the Academy.  I would go so far as to suggest that most of the 'Cubi we've seen in these two pages are ones based around relatively harmless emotions.

When you tour a university as a prospective student, you're generally shown all the 'right things' to try and make a good impression.  If I was Fa'Lina and I was personally inducting a traumatised student who thinks 'Cubi are evil, I'd show him the nice 'Cubi*.

This is purely hypothetical, of course - but it makes a lot of sense to me.

(*) The only hole I can obviously see is that they never did this to Dan, though I presume there was a reason for that.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Tapewolf on April 16, 2009, 07:23:55 PM
(*) The only hole I can obviously see is that they never did this to Dan, though I presume there was a reason for that.

The rapidly arriving group of adventurers (and one grumpy succubus) might have had something to do with it...
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

joshofspam

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on April 16, 2009, 07:56:23 PM

The rapidly arriving group of adventurers (and one grumpy succubus) might have had something to do with it...

I would also have to say Dan was more emotionally stable at his first visited then Abel was.

This would mean Abel would have been treated with kids gloves. While Dan would have gotten the more extensive look at the academy.

Also Abel probably wanted not to lie to Dan because of his experiences in life. Abel will joke when it isn't a matter of life or death situation, but when he does make a serious comment he tends to not sugar coat it.
I perfer my spam cooked on a skillet.

Raffe

When Abel gave Dan his tour, Dan was busy being a statue, which isn't very conductive to learning.
Also, Abel might have taken him elsewhere knowing he was a negative emotion affiliate.
Or perhaps to the learning places (library etc.) to 'teach' Dan about cubi, which also had the side effect of having him around mythos more incase Dan was still 'aaargh stupid cubi'.
Hooray ellipsis!

FSharp

Just posting some belated fanart of the clan founder (light content warning only insofar as it reflects the character's outfit in the comic).
"To leave the world a bit better, whether by a healthy child, a garden patch, or a redeemed social condition; To know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived. This is to have succeeded." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Tiger_T

(sorry for the late reply, haven't read it sooner)
Nice work, FSharp!
Looks very cool, if a bit breezy... ;)

And welcome to the forum!
Follow the rules and beware the box! >:3
Tigriel's got a guest:

A Furry fan, that's what I am! - Proud member of the AP-Team. - Avatar Art by INK

inuhanyo

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on April 11, 2009, 06:49:46 PM
Quote from: thegayhare on April 11, 2009, 05:40:59 PM
Hmm I wonder  since Founding a clan causes sterility would a gay cubi ever found a clan?  It would seem that sterility wouldn't be much of a downside for them...

... Hehehehehe. Have you read Tapewolf's stories? Daryil is definitively homosexual. And constantly showing Jakob with roses, as I recall.

Jakob isn't terribly interested. Daryil is, as I understand it, happy to wait until that changes.

I've always been amused by that aspect of Daryil's fractured psyche. I suspect I'd be less amused in Jakob's position. ;-]

A "true" clan (what ever that means) can only be established by a tri-wing.  Presumably, on the tri-wing's ascension, all of the tri-wing's descendants become part of the new clan. 

Daryil's clan is probably a group of Cubi who have banded together for mutual support, with Daryil as nominal leader.  It's a socal unit, but it lacks the advantages of a true Clan with a living tri-wing founder.

Tapewolf

Quote from: inuhanyo on May 10, 2009, 01:25:57 AM
A "true" clan (what ever that means) can only be established by a tri-wing.  Presumably, on the tri-wing's ascension, all of the tri-wing's descendants become part of the new clan.

It is possible to create a new clan in at least two ways - firstly by ascending into tri-wing state, and there is also another unspecified way, which I take to mean an existing clan being branched off by a group of individuals.

QuoteDaryil's clan is probably a group of Cubi who have banded together for mutual support, with Daryil as nominal leader.  It's a socal unit, but it lacks the advantages of a true Clan with a living tri-wing founder.

Since you ask, what happened in Daryil's case is that the leader of his original unnamed clan was assassinated.  I don't know if said leader was tri-winged or not.
The clan at this point had two candidates for succeeding the leader, one of whom was Daryil.  The other candidate won the toss, and Daryil, believing that he should have won, left in a huff with a number of his supporters.  He branched the clan off at this point, and became their leader.
What he also did during the branching was employ a spell he'd designed that faked the tentacle-heads for all members of the clan.  Many shortcuts were taken to reduce the energy consumption and the result was what you might call "a cheap Chinese copy" of the tentacle-heads.
This caused certain other clans to denounce his clan as being fraudulent because he was in a way trying to "fake his ascension".  It may be that the effort involved in this was part of what originally unbalanced him, that is lost in the murky past.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E