04/10/09 [Abel 2 #51] - Clan of Woe

Started by inuhanyo, April 10, 2009, 02:13:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Corgatha Taldorthar

I know we have it that there are tri-wing male cubi, but it does seem odd that all of the clan founders we know about are female, especially since one of the drawbacks of founding a clan seems to be sterility. Do we know if there's some sort of ratio? Are females much more likely to found clans than males or something?
Someday, when we look back on this, we'll both laugh nervously and change the subject. More is good. All is better.

Tapewolf

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on April 10, 2009, 09:42:21 AM
... Really? I thought I'd fixed all of them. If anyone has information otherwise, please, drop me a note...

Obviously I do not Remember Correctly  :3

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

senrath

Quote from: Pagan on April 10, 2009, 08:01:18 AM
So clan Seme has a "negative" emotional affinity. I wonder what affinity clan Uke has.
Darn.  I came in here to make that same joke, and I've been beaten to it by several hours.

Jack McSlay

Wait... if she's dead, where do Abel's Headwings and marking come from (or would she be just a Tri-Wing on the clan and not the clan leader?)
Keyboard not detected. Press F1 to resume.

Feather Dancer

The clan symbol seems to remain, the only thing that goes is the tentacle heads from what we've seen so far.
Notalope, making all worries as tasty as pineapples.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Jack McSlay on April 10, 2009, 10:12:55 AM
Wait... if she's dead, where do Abel's Headwings and marking come from (or would she be just a Tri-Wing on the clan and not the clan leader?)

Having a living tri-wing Founder gives you heads on your tentacles, and makes you generally more powerful (I've heard the surplus energy sort of radiates away from him/her into the other members).  It doesn't affect the headwings or marking.

Paul

Jairus

Quote from: Corgatha Taldorthar on April 10, 2009, 09:58:07 AM
I know we have it that there are tri-wing male cubi, but it does seem odd that all of the clan founders we know about are female, especially since one of the drawbacks of founding a clan seems to be sterility. Do we know if there's some sort of ratio? Are females much more likely to found clans than males or something?
To be fair, we know about, what, three canon tri-winged clan founders? Not a good data set there. It is quite likely that the number is an even 50/50 ratio, and we just haven't seen any male founders yet.
Erupting Burning Sekiha Hell and Heaven Tenkyoken Tatsumaki Zankantō!!
NEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRDS! - Amber Williams
"And again I say unto you: bite me." - Harry Dresden
You'll catch crap no matter what sort of net you throw out - Me

Alondro

*Charles thinks... a dangerous time for all*  Hmm... clan founding causes sterility... there were 'clan wars'... but sterility could be overcome by cloning... so we could then have "Clone Wars"!  A DMFA/Star Wars crossover!   :boogie

Now who would be Jar-Jar...  :B
Three's a crowd:  One lordly leonine of the Leyjon, one cruel and cunning cubi goddess, and one utterly doomed human stuck between them.

http://www.furfire.org/art/yapcharli2.gif

Jairus

Quote from: Alondro on April 10, 2009, 12:08:17 PM
*Charles thinks... a dangerous time for all*  Hmm... clan founding causes sterility... there were 'clan wars'... but sterility could be overcome by cloning... so we could then have "Clone Wars"!  A DMFA/Star Wars crossover!   :boogie

The Fae, probably Albanion. Annoying little buggers, no one really likes them, and even the creator finds them annoying now.

Though I don't get all of the Jar-Jar hate... I kinda liked him.

Orion Asmodeus Dezagrats

Boy, tri-wings are fun to look at! :> Perhaps it's that extra set of wings.
"There are things in life that we hold dear... Truths that we learn almost since the day we are born... beliefs that are solid as stone .... Then the wind blows a direction it cannot and certainty becomes an echo, and truth is sometimes deceiving."                          --Melpomene, Clan of the Cats

Alondro

Quote from: Jairus on April 10, 2009, 12:31:37 PM

>:O

Burninate the heathen!

:mob
Three's a crowd:  One lordly leonine of the Leyjon, one cruel and cunning cubi goddess, and one utterly doomed human stuck between them.

http://www.furfire.org/art/yapcharli2.gif

Slacker Spice

Quote from: Jairus on April 10, 2009, 12:31:37 PM
Quote from: Alondro on April 10, 2009, 12:08:17 PM

The Fae, probably Albanion. Annoying little buggers, no one really likes them, and even the creator finds them annoying now.

Ah! Proof that I'm not alone!

EDIT: Just a random thought here - am I the only one who thinks that Siar's costume is sort of styled after Leia's?

"Oh, listen to Mary Poppins. He's got his crust all stiff and upper with that nancy-boy accent. You English men are always so... bloody hell! [counting them on his fingers.] Sodding, blimey, shagging, knickers, bollocks. Oh god... I'm English."
"Welcome to the nancy tribe."
Spike and Giles; "Tabula Rasa"; Buffy the Vampire Slayer

"Aw, great, you blew up the 'wah-wah' machine!"
"PORCUPINES ARE GOD!" - Nostalgia

Tipod

Quote from: Orion Asmodeus Dezagrats on April 10, 2009, 12:51:20 PM

Do they ever, like, fly with them? Seriously, I've like never seen them used for that.
"How is it that I should not worship Him who created me?"
"Indeed, I do not know why."

Anri

Curiosity takes hold of me and begins to muse on this... are there any founders in a position similar to Fa'lina. A clan eradicated and only they remain. There seems to be more than a few clans whose founder is gone but how often does the opposite happen... For that matter, how available to clan founders make themselves. They would be a very valuable target to anyone wishing to weaken a lot of cubi at once.

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Tipod on April 10, 2009, 02:46:23 PM
Do they ever, like, fly with them? Seriously, I've like never seen them used for that.

I understand that by the time you go Tri, you don't -need- to fly...

Quote from: Tikki on April 10, 2009, 02:47:54 PM
Curiosity takes hold of me and begins to muse on this... are there any founders in a position similar to Fa'lina. A clan eradicated and only they remain. There seems to be more than a few clans whose founder is gone but how often does the opposite happen... For that matter, how available to clan founders make themselves. They would be a very valuable target to anyone wishing to weaken a lot of cubi at once.

Yeah. About on par with weakening the whole of the US of A by sinking the Eastern Seaboard.

You forget that anyone who has reached Tri-wing status is about as easy to kill as uprooting the Rockies with your bare hands. Seriously, it would be safer to climb naked into a cage with an enraged mother bear and attempt to eat her cubs.
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Rakala

So how many clan founder's are still around? And how does one become a clan founder? Is it about power or something else entirely? Is it similar to becoming a Yakuza family boss?

tiggertoo

They're smarter than that -- this is why they don't fly: http://www.missmab.com/Comics/Vol_263.php

Seriously though -- if I'm going to be looking at buttwings, I want to look at them attached to a hot female. (Yes I know they're not *really* on their butt, not quite anyway, but "buttwings" is just too amusing and evocative a word not to use.)

I do like that Fa'lina is giving Abel the quick intro to life as a Cubi. Before this he had *no* idea -- and his only example of a Cubi in action was Aniz -- not exactly prime role model material.

Kenji

Just a quick note:
When I saw the preview image link, I totally thought Fa'Lina was an overhead, chibi version of herself in a matching go-kart.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Rakala on April 10, 2009, 03:42:27 PM
So how many clan founder's are still around? And how does one become a clan founder? Is it about power or something else entirely? Is it similar to becoming a Yakuza family boss?

Amber has said round about dozen.  Later she said about 8-9 of them.  It's possible that some of these ascended to become the four 'Cubi gods and no longer count among the 8, but that's just a guess.  (See Comic Time & Conservation of Energy).

I don't know what's involved, but a truly stupendous amount of energy seems to be part of the requirements.  All but about 2 used soul-stealing to bring it about.  It seems to be very risky too.

Jairus

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on April 10, 2009, 02:56:46 PM

I understand that by the time you go Tri, you don't -need- to fly...
Twi-wings don't fly: they just move the world around them.

Quote from: Kenji on April 10, 2009, 04:05:45 PM
Just a quick note:
When I saw the preview image link, I totally thought Fa'Lina was an overhead, chibi version of herself in a matching go-kart.
DMFA Racing! *cue the Diddy Kong Racing theme music*

Jack McSlay

physically speaking, it would be very hard if even possible to fly with them, as they are quite small in comparison to the body when compared to actual flying animals, plus they lack a rudder device (the tail on birds, the membranae between the legs and the tail on bats and pterosaurids, insects don't count because they fly more like an helicopter than a plane)

*runs away from bringing physics talk on a fantasy webcomic*  :U
Keyboard not detected. Press F1 to resume.

Jairus

Quote from: Jack McSlay on April 10, 2009, 05:16:16 PM

physically speaking, it would be very hard if even possible to fly with them, as they are quite small in comparison to the body when compared to actual flying animals, plus they lack a rudder device (the tail on birds, the membranae between the legs and the tail on bats and pterosaurids, insects don't count because they fly more like an helicopter than a plane)

*runs away from bringing physics talk on a fantasy webcomic*  :U
The headwings can always act as rudders in flight. Moreover, considering that most winged creatures have some form of magic about them, the problems of steering in flight can be somewhat handwaved.

Anri

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on April 10, 2009, 02:56:46 PM
You forget that anyone who has reached Tri-wing status is about as easy to kill as uprooting the Rockies with your bare hands. Seriously, it would be safer to climb naked into a cage with an enraged mother bear and attempt to eat her cubs.

Ah, but then there's the dragons. :3

Shachza

QuoteYay, buttwings!

lol  I thought the same thing...

QuoteAh, but then there's the dragons.

Or MOWs.  Triwing vs. flock(?) o' MOWs?  Tough call.
            <-- #1 that is!

insidexml

Quote from: Shachza on April 10, 2009, 07:29:51 PM
QuoteYay, buttwings!

lol  I thought the same thing...

QuoteAh, but then there's the dragons.

Or MOWs.  Triwing vs. flock(?) o' MOWs?  Tough call.

The land would be torn asunder in such a battle!

It'd certainly be neat to see such a spectacle.
"My existence is comprised of somebody else's delusions. It's the exact opposite of the past. How completely ironic."

-Baroquemonger

"Humans that tried to trespass on God's domain, and a god that simply appeared in the realm of humans. Which of these is more sinful?"

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: insidexml on April 10, 2009, 07:53:17 PM
It'd certainly be neat to see such a spectacle.

... from a very very long way away.
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

insidexml

"My existence is comprised of somebody else's delusions. It's the exact opposite of the past. How completely ironic."

-Baroquemonger

"Humans that tried to trespass on God's domain, and a god that simply appeared in the realm of humans. Which of these is more sinful?"

joshofspam

Quote from: Tapewolf on April 10, 2009, 04:44:46 PM
Quote from: Rakala on April 10, 2009, 03:42:27 PM

Amber has said round about dozen.  Later she said about 8-9 of them.  It's possible that some of these ascended to become the four 'Cubi gods and no longer count among the 8, but that's just a guess.  (See Comic Time & Conservation of Energy).

I don't know what's involved, but a truly stupendous amount of energy seems to be part of the requirements.  All but about 2 used soul-stealing to bring it about.  It seems to be very risky too.

For the ones that didn't use soul's. Do you think they gathered their emotional energy while meditating to distill it into a more powerful form of energy.

From that perspective it might have been the more friendlier clans that make up the two mentioned. Though it might not be the case, I can't help but imagine a cubi at a theme park absorbing all the happy emotions from the passer by's that are all pact in together.

I have thought of several others on the positive note. But the one about needing a harem to work just makes me want to smash my head into the wall. Yes their is a time when you think to much and I have reached that point. :B
I perfer my spam cooked on a skillet.

Azlan

You all should stop asking questions about things that have not been fully realized in comic form.  Knowledge only breeds woe and sadness, great sadness if you've grown to have an attachment to certain things.
"Ha ha! The fun has been doubled!"