Obsessive Listening

Started by Teh_Hobo, March 14, 2009, 02:57:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Angel

Running through my head last week and this week...

"Christmas in Hollywood", "Everywhere I Go" - Hollywood Undead
"Zattsu Otoko" (aka The Manly Dance) - Rock Musical Bleach: Dark of the Bleeding Moon
"Mope" - The Bloodhound Gang
"When the Sun Goes Down" - Arctic Monkeys
"Pinball Wizard" - The Who

And a few songs from Repo! The Genetic Opera whose titles I forget.
The Real Myth of Sisyphus:
The itsy-bitsy spider went up the water spout,
Down came the rain and washed the spider out.
Out came the sun and dried up all the rain,
And the itsy-bitsy spider went up the spout again...
BANDWAGON JUMP!

Sunblink

Oh FUCK. I was listening to "When She Loved Me" by Sarah McLachlan. It always makes me cry, but I can't stop listening to this. :<

Quote from: Teh_Hobo on March 18, 2009, 10:36:02 PM
Sounds sort of emoish with some industrial backing...
WHAT
OH GOD WHAT
WHY AM I LIKING THIS  :erk
DEAR GOD
THIS MAKES NO SENSE

Haha! That's actually what I thought when I first listened to Hollywood Undead. "My Black Dahlia" has really emo lyrics, something that usually turns me off, but now I really, really love that song.

I USED TO BE LOVESTRUCK
NOW I'M JUST FUCKED UP

Lisky

i went, put my library on random when we had some people over last week, now i've got a few songs i've become addicted to...

Anna Molly - Incubus
Too Drunk - Buck Cherry
Bad Girlfriend - Theory of a Dead Man
Original Prankster - The Offspring

I support the demon race (usually with my hands)!   Also... LOOK A DISTRACTION! -->

Siirenia

Era of Diversion.

It's an album by Evol Intent, who sounds like (Aphex Twin|Crunk) over D&B. Depending on the song, of course!

Sunblink

Quote from: Basilisk2150 on March 25, 2009, 12:15:56 PMTheory of a Dead Man

I love Theory of a Dead Man! :) You'll enjoy the whole CD.

bill

depressing 80s australian rock, woo-hah.

Mao

'Feather'- Nujabes feat. Akin, Cise Starr
'400 years' - Cyne

Teh_Hobo

My newest obsession:
Crack The Skye - Mastodon: Oh wow. This is quickly overtaking Leviathan as my favorite Mastodon album. The harsh vocals are pretty much completely gone now, which sort of makes me sad, but the dude can sing fairly well when he tries. The drumming seems a bit more controlled now, before it sounded like the drummer was going to explode half the time, maybe hes calmed down a bit. The guitarwork is EXCELLENT. Also, the ability to have two 10+ minute songs on one album and for me to never get bored is awesome.
And also
Refuse/Resist - Krisiun: Brazillian death metal covering older Brazillian death metal. Never heard the original Sepultura track, but its apparently pretty much legendary in the death metal scene. This version is pretty damn good though.
One week in air, two weeks in water, two weeks in water, eight weeks in ground.

Tapewolf

Moonspell - Night Eternal

Specifically, At Tragic Heights which starts with a rather cool quotation from the Book of Revelations, Night Eternal and Shadow Sun.  The other tracks are okay, but the album as a whole doesn't (yet) have the "OMG, this is awesome" vibe of their earlier "Memorial" album.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

bill

i have moved from 80s depressing australian alt-rock to 00's depressing australian alt-rock

Really good album, though it suffers from the typical double-CD problem of having too much filler

also

One of my absolute favorites of the 90s, listened to it for the millionth time yesterday. Probably ruined the band for me, I don't think any of their other albums come anywhere near this.

Tapewolf

Quote from: bill on April 01, 2009, 05:25:14 PM
i have moved from 80s depressing australian alt-rock to 00's depressing australian alt-rock

Murder Ballads.  I have a copy given to my by someone who found it too depressing.  The first side is okay, and has a few pretty good tracks on it.  Don't touch the second side with a stick, though.

**EDIT**
Just to clarify it's a followup to Bill, not what I'm listening to obsessively  :rolleyes

bill

Take that back, "The Curse of Millhaven" is hilarious

I actually don't like most of that album, it's not depressing, it's just dull.

(also you should try out The Mollusk, lots of it is supposedly an homage to psych-prog rock, but the whole thing is really good (except for Ocean Man, which is kind of plain)

Tapewolf

Quote from: bill on April 01, 2009, 08:32:48 PM
Take that back, "The Curse of Millhaven" is hilarious

That's one of the decent songs on the first side.  I think "Lovely Creature" is my favourite.

Quote(also you should try out The Mollusk, lots of it is supposedly an homage to psych-prog rock, but the whole thing is really good (except for Ocean Man, which is kind of plain)
I'll look out for it.

Mao

'Touched'- VAST
'Here'- VAST

Arroyo Milori

Around the world/Harderbetterfasterstronger-Daft punk (Alive 2007)
Strength-Abingdon school boys (This song makes me feel like a weeaboo D : )
Fighting-Yellowcard (Paper walls)
and of course... The Camelldansan D :

bill

really really good, but everyone probably already knows this one

Teh_Hobo

The Black Keys - Thickfreakness & Rubber Factory
Lo-fi blues rock. Sort of like The White Stripes only about fifteen times better IMO.
Frank Zappa & The Mothers Of Invention - We're Only In It For The Money
ZOMG Why did I not seek out Zappa sooner??!? "Whats the Ugliest Part of Your Body?" is now one of my favorite songs.
Agoraphobic Nosebleed - Agorapocalypse
The Gods of drum-machine grindcore's new album. Pure win.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Teh_Hobo on April 07, 2009, 07:47:32 PM
Frank Zappa & The Mothers Of Invention - We're Only In It For The Money
ZOMG Why did I not seek out Zappa sooner??!? "Whats the Ugliest Part of Your Body?" is now one of my favorite songs.

IMHO that's one of the best albums.  They obviously had immense fun playing around with the tape machines while making it.  I think "Absolutely Free" is my favourite on that one.

My current obsession (aside from my own stuff) is The Who - Tommy

Teh_Hobo

Been on a nerdcore hiphop trip lately. In particular:
F*ck the MPAA - Futuristic Sex Robotz
D Ill Sh*t - Kabuto the Python & Poopyhands
Whoremoansheartsyou(album) - Whoremoans
just about anything by MC Frontalot

also,
Virus S.T.N. - Diapsiquir
wheeeee trippy industrial black metal

Eibborn

/kicks the internet over

Tapewolf

For an outrageous sum (£50) I finally managed to obtain a copy of "Don't Bring The Rain" by Aragon, an obscure progressive-rock outfit from Melbourne.  This has taken me about ten years to obtain after first discovering them on Napster, so I'm going to listen to it obsessively, like it or not  :B
At the very least I'll have a hi-fi copy of their song "Company of Wolves" (no resemblance to the film).  Now, if I can just find their third album...

Pagan

I recently watched Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog and came into the soundtrack. "Everything You Ever," "Slipping," and "My Eyes" keep getting the repeat. God, it's so gooood.
After a long time, some things change. Some things don't. And I still love Regina!

Sunblink

Bill: Tom Waits is amazing. You have no idea how much I squealed after I saw that album cover. <3

"Prison Sex" - Tool
"16 Shells From a Thirty-Ought-Six" - Tom Waits
"Window and the Watcher" - The Butterfly Effect

jimsan

Wow, I have a lot of new bands to look up!
I'm not as musically educated as you guys but there are a few songs I can't stop listening to that you might like... (Kinda old, 90's or so)

The Way by Fastball
Clint Eastwood by The Gorillaz
Into the Night by Santana (Yes the version with Chad Kroeger  :rolleyes)
Mr. E's Beautiful Blues by The Eels

And one funny one....

Ready to Die by Andrew W.K.
Remember the past.
Prepare for the future.
Live in the present.

Tipod

I've been into soundtracks for whatever reason lately.

Driving With the Top Down - Ramin Djawadi
Thunderbird - Duane Decker
Grinder - Frank Keplacki
Siberia - Graeme Norgate
Blackburn - Masafumi Takada
"How is it that I should not worship Him who created me?"
"Indeed, I do not know why."

Yugo

I shall hop on the Tom Waits bandwagon! -glomps Keaton and Bill- <3's for Tom Waits. (And also Primus, at the moment. ;3 )

The songs stuck in my head right now:

Primus & Tom Waits - Tommy the Cat
Primus- John the Fisherman
Primus- Lacquer Head
https://www.weasyl.com/~boximus<br /><br />My Weasyl!

Aisha deCabre

Now here's a song that I only just recently heard via YouTube and can't stop listening to:

"Hero" -- Charlotte Perelli

That song MUST be on my MP3 player.  :U
  Yap (c) Silverfoxr.
Artist and world-weaver.

Pagan

Queen's "Don't Stop Me Now!" has gotten into my head. It won't stop...
After a long time, some things change. Some things don't. And I still love Regina!

techmaster-glitch

Teh_Hobo

Quote from: techmaster-glitch on April 18, 2009, 12:05:06 AM
Buy it, use it, break it, fix it, trash it, change it, mail-upgrade it.... :robo
That robot creeps me out immensely.
newest listenings:
The White EP - Agalloch
Mostly instrumental folk, which was a surprise to me since Agalloch is more known for being a Folk/Black Metal/Post Rock amalgamation. It is literally IMPOSSIBLE for me to be in a bad mood when I listen to this.
Semimimimimin - Sitaar Tah!
20 to 30 sitars all going at the same time, with a throat singer thrown in near the middle. And its one gigantic 43 minute track. Like with Agalloch, it is physically impossible to be mad when I listen to this.