03/13/09 [DMFA #980] - K'Pow!

Started by Kibin, March 13, 2009, 01:56:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PhoenixMiranda

Hm.

Well, Aliph is right in assuming that any adventurer coming into the house and making a rather enthusiastic assault on his chamber door is after him.  Which, under normal circumstances, would be entirely correct.  If things had gone according to plan.

However, Regina did something really bad to Dan and Company in the past, which apparently nobody else in the family knows about.  And then, presently, hid in Aliph's vault after doing more stupid things.

So, all things considered, it seems that Aliph's surprise is due to the fact that the adventurer went after Regina instead of him.  He hasn't got any reason to think Dan would be after anybody else.  Unbeknownst to him but knownst to us, though, Dan's got plenty of reasons for going after Regina first.  After checking the archive, it doesn't look like Dan's grudge against Aliph is particularly personal; Aliph was doing Bad Stuff (including incinerating Hannah) and Dan got caught in the middle of it, so being an adventurer, Dan now has to keep Aliph from doing Bad Stuff in the future. Well, and avenge Hannah, but avenging people killed by Bad Guys is also part of the adventurer thing of Righting Wrongs and Fighting for Justice.  But Regina...oh dear, she actually went after him and his, and thus wronged him very directly.  Can't get much more personal than that.  And then she smashed his face with a drinks tray.  Absolutely brilliant.  As it's been pointed out, this reflects her maturity level (or lack thereof).

Of course, none of this means that Aliph's in the clear.  It just means Dan's going to take care of more immediate issues first, and this has the added bonus of getting Regina out of the way early on so that he's not having to deal with up to three demons at once (Aliph, Regina, and Kria; I don't think Lorenda is going to side against Dan).  I'm not even sure if Kria's going to get involved or if she's going to just watch in amusement.  So he may only have to deal with one at a time.

And I dunno, but it occurs to me that it might actually be in Regina's best interests to get KO'd right away, instead of participating in a full-on deathmatch between Dan and dear old Uncle Aliph.  Because there's going to be some pretty heavy firepower being thrown around, and I'm not entirely sure she can handle everything.  I mean, Aliph's got several centuries of magic study behind him, and Dan 1) is really getting the hang of his Cubi skills, and 2) he comes from one of the more powerful clans (see his bio).

No matter what, I think we're gonna get to see fireworks of some sort.

Oh wow look it's past 5 AM.  I should sleep now.  This is what happens when I try to make forum posts while sleepy.   I get verbose.  :rolleyes

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: PhoenixMiranda on March 13, 2009, 06:09:33 AM
Oh wow look it's past 5 AM.  I should sleep now.  This is what happens when I try to make forum posts while sleepy.   I get verbose.  :rolleyes

On the upside, you get coherent and verbose and cogent. That's a good thing, I think.
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Mao

Quote from: Tapewolf on March 13, 2009, 04:30:29 AM

Regina is very lucky - by rights that should have gone through her skull.  Remember, what happened to the pillars can happen to her too.

Possibly not.  Keep in mind that Demons can harden their skin to diamond toughness and posses unlimited endurance.  Meaning that while the tentacles seem to do alright against marble/concrete (whichever the pillars were) they likely won't fare as well against a demon.  I swear everyone keeps forgetting that the creatures Dan is up against here aren't exactly lightweights.  Yes, Dan has killed DP  twice that we know of.  We know the circumstances of one of those, the most recent one.. after he's been dead at least once (maybe he's had other incidents we don't know,  it's doubtful, but we don't know).  It's been covered that he's less and less of himself each time he returns though not what that entails.  So I wouldn't consider it a safe assumption to say that "Dan has defeated DP before therefore he can defeat any demon with ease, especially since he's coming into his cubi abilities now!"  From Demo 101 we know that most people aren't even sure how Demons die but it also states that Cubi can die from natural means unless they are of a certain power level.  What this says to me:  While yes, Dan is damn tough and is embarrassing them thoroughly I wouldn't conclude so quickly that he can just mop the floor with him.  We don't know what 'power level' he is ("Vegeta, what's the scouter say about his power level?"), we don't know what side effects DP is experiencing and really, curve balls like having the hero get thumped are just the sort of thing that seems to happen around here when folks get to insistent and vocal about their theories.

Anyway, that's my rant.

e_voyager

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on March 13, 2009, 06:18:02 AM
Quote from: PhoenixMiranda on March 13, 2009, 06:09:33 AM

On the upside, you get coherent and verbose and cogent. That's a good thing, I think.
that's better then i do especially since i haven't slept in 22 hours
I thank Silver Fox and Tiger_T for the wonderful Yappies.  all around the universe powers learned to hiss and curse at this, my creation but am i real or pure creation?
 I'm never where i was, rarely where i want to be, but always were i am needed.
 this world is not my own. but some how i wish that i could belong. Blame It On Boxey

ANTIcarrot

Quote from: Mao Laoren on March 13, 2009, 06:39:38 AM
Possibly not.  Keep in mind that Demons can harden their skin to diamond toughness and posses unlimited endurance.

Yes, but cubi are really difficult to kill too. Dan's pretty much a nightmare from DP's point of view too - one that is both very experienced at fighting and knows him inside and out. In short order the following thoughts have gone through his head:

1) Oh dear. He's a cubi. That explains a few things.
2) He hit someone else before me. What has gone on while I'm dead?
3) If Kira chooses power over blood, I might have to fight her as well.
4) If I do kill Dan, which potentially very powerful cubi will I have offended by killing their offspring?
<carefully leans closer to the spinning coffin>
"What's that Mr Mendel? Kill chakat Goldfur? Shi's making a mockery of all your theories?"

Kaerou

Oh my god..

hahahahahaha

Funniest comic ever! XD

by Silverfoxr! Thank you!

inuhanyo

I think Dan just "told" Regina to take a number.   And yeah, Regina had that "now you're gonna get it, I've got my big bad uncle with me" smirk.  She obviously still doesn't know the real score.

And Dan's got quite the reach there.

It should be obvious to DP that the intruder is a Cubi, but there's enough distance he won't immediately realize that it's Dan.

Mao

Quote from: ANTIcarrot on March 13, 2009, 07:36:24 AM

Yes, but cubi are really difficult to kill too. Dan's pretty much a nightmare from DP's point of view too - one that is both very experienced at fighting and knows him inside and out.

I never said that they weren't.  Though I don't think DP fears Dan at all.  The last death we saw, saw them both dying.  Dan didn't exactly trounce DP.  We don't know what happened the time before that.

That said, I've never heard anywhere about Cubi being that difficult to kill with regards to other creatures.  In the case of beings yeah:  creatures tend to have the advantage.  In reading the demo 101 on them, in fact it seems they can die to natural means as easily as anything else unless they reach a certain power level.  We don't know what it is.

Dan is fairly new to his incubus abilities and powers so I wouldn't jump to the conclusion that he's DP's nightmare just yet.  Especially since it was near mutual destruction last time they faced off.

Arcblade

Hehe.  This is going to be fun.  The sucker-punch'd Regina pleases me much.  Also, Dan is darned resilient.  He did just go flying down the hall after bashing himself a lot on a magically protected door.  And yet he was ready to punch out Regina within six seconds or so.  (talking is a free action!)

Very cool, Amber.   :mowcookie

Lego3400

My first reaction "Woha DP looks... hot." Personally I think the bandages are for look more then for wounds. Also TAKE THAT Regina, TAKE THAT! Also. Love DP's expresion at this. On another note, anyone else think that Regina being in a T-shirt and jeans is kind of ruining the Dramaticness of the second panel?

Also, I wonder what DP's gonna do when he sees his Neice and possibly sister helping Dan. Lorenda is already helping hm in the first panel and Kria has that look like "Yah bro just shut up"

Tapewolf

Quote from: Mao Laoren on March 13, 2009, 06:39:38 AM
Possibly not.  Keep in mind that Demons can harden their skin to diamond toughness and posses unlimited endurance.  Meaning that while the tentacles seem to do alright against marble/concrete (whichever the pillars were) they likely won't fare as well against a demon.
Yes, but I'm 99% sure that it's voluntary.  IMHO if she was switched on enough to do that, she would have been able to duck anyway.  Also she may not have either ability yet.
Finally, that didn't stop Dan from filleting DP last time.

QuoteI swear everyone keeps forgetting that the creatures Dan is up against here aren't exactly lightweights. 

So I wouldn't consider it a safe assumption to say that "Dan has defeated DP before therefore he can defeat any demon with ease, especially since he's coming into his cubi abilities now!"

This was actually put to Amber (see wiki for reference I don't have long enough to find it) her answer was 'Dan is an adventurer'. Either way, facing two demons simultaneously like that is going to make things a lot tougher.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Alondro

Oh noes!  DP is back!  Again!   D:

Ya know, he's kinda like Davros.  Every time you think he's finished, he pops up again creating more Daleks. 

Sooo... the Undead are like Daleks in that case.  Yup.   :3
Three's a crowd:  One lordly leonine of the Leyjon, one cruel and cunning cubi goddess, and one utterly doomed human stuck between them.

http://www.furfire.org/art/yapcharli2.gif

Shadowcatcher

Quote from: Mao Laoren on March 13, 2009, 07:48:17 AM

Dan is fairly new to his incubus abilities and powers so I wouldn't jump to the conclusion that he's DP's nightmare just yet.  Especially since it was near mutual destruction last time they faced off.

True, with both of them being at max health.  DP doesn't look like he's in 100% condition with that bandage around his middle.  Nor is it clear on how tip-top you are immediately after being brought back.  Resurrection Sickness, anyone?

Mao

Quote from: Tapewolf on March 13, 2009, 08:42:28 AM
Yes, but I'm 99% sure that it's voluntary.  IMHO if she was switched on enough to do that, she would have been able to duck anyway.  Also she may not have either ability yet.

Which fits with what I'm saying.  If she's scared enough of Dan (assuming she doesn't have to grow into that power.. though nowhere does it say that they aren't born with it either) to think she needs it I'm fairly confident she'll use it.

Finally, that didn't stop Dan from filleting DP last time.

As I've said, we don't know what's happening with DP.  It's been covered that he isn't himself, so I wouldn't use him as a template for Demon kind.  That said he's proven dangerous regardless of whatever side effects he may be facing from his resurrections.

This was actually put to Amber (see wiki for reference I don't have long enough to find it) her answer was 'Dan is an adventurer'. Either way, facing two demons simultaneously like that is going to make things a lot tougher.

Which doesn't say much to me.  He's an adventurer.. ok.. but so was Devin and his friends there when they faced off against Kria and who ever else was with her in Abel's story... they didn't do too well iirc.

All I'm getting at, is that people are severely downplaying and underestimating what is, if demo. 101 is to be believed, one of the toughest and rather nastiest races out there.

techmaster-glitch

Quote from: Prroul on March 13, 2009, 02:12:19 AM
Does anyone else have the theme song to "Mortal Kombat" stuck in their head?
Hell. YES.

(incidentally, damn yooouuuuuu for bringing it up first!)

Allright now, everyone with me...

MOR-TAL KOM-BAAAAAAAAAT!

Dan is so Liu Kang...

GabrielsThoughts

clickity click click click. Quote in personal text is from Walter Bishop of Fringe.

Jack McSlay

We're not sure what "losing a bit of himsetf" means. Power may not be a part of what he loses. Remember, dan would be dead if it weren't for Wildy. If somehow he gots more powerful each ressurrection, that can be a serious problem
Keyboard not detected. Press F1 to resume.

Cylonis

First off, second panel is awesome in art, third is hilarious.  Oddly enough, first thing I thought when seeing this comic was Pip in his pimpsuit.  Leading to an image of him and Dan in pimp attire employing Regina as atonement for her crimes and as an excuse for Dan to tentacle smack her.  My mind goes odd places. 

Jairus

Quote from: Cylonis on March 13, 2009, 10:03:08 AM
First off, second panel is awesome in art, third is hilarious.  Oddly enough, first thing I thought when seeing this comic was Pip in his pimpsuit.  Leading to an image of him and Dan in pimp attire employing Regina as atonement for her crimes and as an excuse for Dan to tentacle smack her.  My mind goes odd places. 
Very odd places.

Well, look on the bright side: we only have to wait until this evening to get a better grasp on Aliph's current status.

"Kria, where's my robe?"
"It's getting dry-cleaned, brother. When was the last time you washed that thing, it was disgusting!"
"Dangit sis, I can't look intimidating and evil without it!"

EDIT: Say, I just had a thought. Did anyone ever bring up the idea that Destania might want Aliph to not come back because he's a threat to her plans? Dan goes to see Biggs, and Destania as Biggs sends Dan to kill Aliph, or at least stop the resurrection ritual and destroy the body. Why? To have him meet Regina? Is it entirely possible that Destania sent Dan to kill Aliph because she knew he was A) powerful enough to do it and B) one of the few people who would basically go through with it because of a sense of duty? So, Dan gets to feel good by taking out his own rival/enemy, and Destania loses one more potential adversary. In which case, Dan not killing Aliph and the two coming to some sort of accord would really throw a monkey wrench into D's plans. Just a thought.
Erupting Burning Sekiha Hell and Heaven Tenkyoken Tatsumaki Zankantō!!
NEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRDS! - Amber Williams
"And again I say unto you: bite me." - Harry Dresden
You'll catch crap no matter what sort of net you throw out - Me

Feather Dancer

Oh the puns, the dreadful puns this one causes.

WHAM.

Needless to say my Friday was made :D
Notalope, making all worries as tasty as pineapples.

Jack McSlay

Quote from: Jairus on March 13, 2009, 10:17:10 AMEDIT: Say, I just had a thought. Did anyone ever bring up the idea that Destania might want Aliph to not come back because he's a threat to her plans? Dan goes to see Biggs, and Destania as Biggs sends Dan to kill Aliph, or at least stop the resurrection ritual and destroy the body. Why? To have him meet Regina? Is it entirely possible that Destania sent Dan to kill Aliph because she knew he was A) powerful enough to do it and B) one of the few people who would basically go through with it because of a sense of duty? So, Dan gets to feel good by taking out his own rival/enemy, and Destania loses one more potential adversary. In which case, Dan not killing Aliph and the two coming to some sort of accord would really throw a monkey wrench into D's plans. Just a thought.
Maybe the dark god Alyph wants to revive is a dragon?
Keyboard not detected. Press F1 to resume.

Angel

O_O

...Cool.

By the way, I love how Dan just punches Regina anyway...Also, how come DP has pupils when Regina doesn't? They each have all-iris-colored eyeballs, but only one of them has pupils.
The Real Myth of Sisyphus:
The itsy-bitsy spider went up the water spout,
Down came the rain and washed the spider out.
Out came the sun and dried up all the rain,
And the itsy-bitsy spider went up the spout again...
BANDWAGON JUMP!

Dekari

Quote from: ANTIcarrot on March 13, 2009, 07:36:24 AM

1) Oh dear. He's a cubi. That explains a few things.
4) If I do kill Dan, which potentially very powerful cubi will I have offended by killing their offspring?

Me thinks he will put 2 and 2 together soon.
I somehow get the feeling that you didn't think your cunning plan all the way through.

Thanks go to Kipiru and Rhyfe for the art work used in avatars.

http://drakedekari.deviantart.com/

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Jairus on March 13, 2009, 10:17:10 AM
Well, look on the bright side: we only have to wait until this evening to get a better grasp on Aliph's current status.

"Scene change!"
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Akisohida

'Nyah-ha! I got my Uncle and he is gonna tromp you!' *K'POW!*

Way to go, Dan! Knocked the smug look off her face and surprised the heck out of DP. Now attack him while he is startled!
Amber-ism #700: If the problem isn't solved, there are still survivors you missed.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Jack McSlay on March 13, 2009, 10:40:34 AM

Not impossible.  They seem to have near-divine powers and could easily play the part of a deity if they wished to.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Prroul

Quote from: techmaster-glitch on March 13, 2009, 09:30:36 AM
Quote from: Prroul on March 13, 2009, 02:12:19 AM
Does anyone else have the theme song to "Mortal Kombat" stuck in their head?
Hell. YES.

(incidentally, damn yooouuuuuu for bringing it up first!)

Allright now, everyone with me...

MOR-TAL KOM-BAAAAAAAAAT!

Dan is so Liu Kang...

Close, but no cigar. That is the MK3 variation. The original, unaltered version which made Techno worth listening to is here.

Quote from: Tapewolf("Vegeta, what's the scouter say about his power level?")
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

Sorry, couldn't resist, despite despising dastardly dragonball-z.

Sukasa

Well written, Amber.  I couldn't stop laughing for a couple minutes after seeing this (still can't avoid laughing at least a bit if I see it.)  The expression on DP's face when he looks at Regina is pretty damned funny, too. :mowhappy

AndersW

Quote from: DPI am not sure if I should be disgusted or flattered.

Be afraid, be very afraid.

Darvain

Quote from: Jack McSlay on March 13, 2009, 10:40:34 AM
1) Or mb she just send Dan away corse he find something about her past? Remember that in the first place, Dan comes to find his mother to ask her a question, something about "Mom, did you really was the head of the pain and terror department in SAIA?"
DP is an evil demon, but his plans always were ruined by Dan. I believe that Biggs, if he had his plans stomped by DP will never be the Twink leader. He has all things too well-planed, so just some random demons can't interfere with his mighty goals.
2) DP, Regina - demons. And both have "hate to death" mark on them in the Dan's eyes. So it might be all well-planed by D. "Unleash your rage, your hatred. Make them suffer. Make them pay for all the lives they're steal". *insert some Darth Vader hisses sounds here, and then insert some evil laugh*