03/09/09 [DMFA #979] - More of a social faux pas

Started by Jairus, March 09, 2009, 12:28:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jairus

Quote from: Corgatha Taldorthar on March 11, 2009, 12:41:02 PM
Actually, other than that one comic waaaaaaaay back, about the guy flying into the plane, it seems like Furries either can't or don't fly. So aside from blood loss and possibly shock, ripping off the larger backwings probably wouldn't cripple or kill a 'Cubi (or Angel or Demon or whatever) either......
I think the implication from that comic is that that's the reason that Furraeans don't fly. I mean, I know it's a comedic fantasy webcomic with anthropomorphic animals that can breed across species (Kangaroo/kangaroo rat anyone?), but from a biological and evolution standpoint it doesn't make much sense if they can't fly, even if it is with a little magical assistance. Kria was certainly about to fly in this comic, so I think the implication is that winged beings and creatures can fly. And I think Gryphon Cs can fly as well.

Quote from: AmigaDragon on March 11, 2009, 12:47:07 PM
Back to this strip... between Kria's closed eyes in panel 3 and "so much for getting paid" in panel 4, I think she didn't notice the blue-feathered projectile shooting past her, and might think he got vaporized in the blast. She doesn't strike me as being the most observant creature at times.
More like Dan was going to pay her for not resurrecting Dark Pegasus for a month or so so that he could destroy the body, and if DP is back to life then Dan's not gonna pay her.
Erupting Burning Sekiha Hell and Heaven Tenkyoken Tatsumaki Zankantō!!
NEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRDS! - Amber Williams
"And again I say unto you: bite me." - Harry Dresden
You'll catch crap no matter what sort of net you throw out - Me

Corgatha Taldorthar

Quote from: Jairus on March 11, 2009, 12:56:11 PM
Quote from: Corgatha Taldorthar on March 11, 2009, 12:41:02 PM
Actually, other than that one comic waaaaaaaay back, about the guy flying into the plane, it seems like Furries either can't or don't fly. So aside from blood loss and possibly shock, ripping off the larger backwings probably wouldn't cripple or kill a 'Cubi (or Angel or Demon or whatever) either......
I think the implication from that comic is that that's the reason that Furraeans don't fly. I mean, I know it's a comedic fantasy webcomic with anthropomorphic animals that can breed across species (Kangaroo/kangaroo rat anyone?), but from a biological and evolution standpoint it doesn't make much sense if they can't fly, even if it is with a little magical assistance. Kria was certainly about to fly in this comic, so I think the implication is that winged beings and creatures can fly. And I think Gryphon Cs can fly as well.

Not so sure I agree with you, on either count. Kria seems to wear that illusion talisman more to hide her Demonic heritage than anything else. If she's going back home to her manor, she wouldn't need it anymore, so why not take it off? Just because the memes of "travel" and "reveal wings" are juxtaposed doesn't mean she's planning on taking a flight.

And biologically possible? Well, maybe with magical assistance, but if those furries are built anything along the lines of humans, wings and muscles attached to the back simply aren't going to lift up their weight too high. (Yes, yes, I know, Demons tend to be super-strong, possibly angels and 'Cubi share this)

But ultimately, I don't think it matters too much, DMFA doesn't seem to be held to ultra tight continuity anyway, so I expect the ability to fly would be based more on Amber's calculation as to whether it would be funny or useful to drive the plot along.
Someday, when we look back on this, we'll both laugh nervously and change the subject. More is good. All is better.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Corgatha Taldorthar on March 11, 2009, 01:33:21 PM
And biologically possible? Well, maybe with magical assistance, but if those furries are built anything along the lines of humans, wings and muscles attached to the back simply aren't going to lift up their weight too high. (Yes, yes, I know, Demons tend to be super-strong, possibly angels and 'Cubi share this)

What bugs me is the lack of tail feathers.  Either way, I've been taking the position that they can glide or at least control their falling, but not actually take off - at least, not without magical assistance.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

AmigaDragon

Quote from: Corgatha Taldorthar on March 11, 2009, 01:33:21 PM
Kria seems to wear that illusion talisman more to hide her Demonic heritage than anything else. If she's going back home to her manor, she wouldn't need it anymore, so why not take it off?

It's not mere illusion, it's a creature to being shape change amulet, as evidenced by the jacket.
"Cogito, ergo es. I think, therefore you is." Ray D. Tutto (King of the Moon) to Baron Munschaussen

Tapewolf

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Michael Chandra

Quote from: Corgatha Taldorthar on March 11, 2009, 01:33:21 PM[...]
Not so sure I agree with you, on either count. Kria seems to wear that illusion talisman more to hide her Demonic heritage than anything else. If she's going back home to her manor, she wouldn't need it anymore, so why not take it off? Just because the memes of "travel" and "reveal wings" are juxtaposed doesn't mean she's planning on taking a flight.
And I counter you with #772, where the ability to fly for Kira is implied by thinking her daughter's wings might be able to let her do so.

Corgatha Taldorthar

It proves my point, if anything. There is no way those wings would be able to lift a fully grown demon without some sort of magical boost. Study a bird's physiology some time. Hollow bones, chest muscle density roughly 16 times that of a human being. Simply attaching wings to the back of a human, (or a vaguely humanoid animal thing) should not, by itself, confer the ability to fly.
Someday, when we look back on this, we'll both laugh nervously and change the subject. More is good. All is better.

FreeFull

To lift you up, the wings would have to be huge, and then there would be the problem of providing energy.

Arcblade

I expect, like dragons in several Forgotten Realms books, that Furrae wings use magic to fly.  Or, y'know, physics in Furrae don't work like physics here.  No one said they had to, y'know. 

inuhanyo

From the Gryphon B cast page:
In recent times though there has been a growing resentment among Gryphon B races of the boost in technology (especially planes) and it is rumoured that some groups of Gryphon B types will goad their larger but dumber relatives to deliberately attack planes.
Not definitive, but certainly suggestive.

Back in 357 Dan (age 15) stated he didn't know how to fly with his wings, which implies that he could learn how to fly.

The Fae can fly, but they're so magical that the fact is useless, they certainly could fly even without their wings.

Arcblade

To a pilot, few things are as terrifying as a flying Gryphon C.  Oh my. 

Jairus

Quote from: Arcblade on March 12, 2009, 12:47:28 PM
To a pilot, few things are as terrifying as a flying Gryphon C.  Oh my. 
And that's why Jyrras invented seed throwing machines. ;)

Lego3400

Dan can fly. Word of god has stated he knows how. He was pretending he didn't know how to mess with Jy. He was in full control and was more or less gliding during that segment. It would not be surprising if his mom taught him how to fly. She has wings of her own after all.

Jairus

Quote from: Lego3400 on March 12, 2009, 02:36:33 PM
Dan can fly. Word of god has stated he knows how. He was pretending he didn't know how to mess with Jy. He was in full control and was more or less gliding during that segment. It would not be surprising if his mom taught him how to fly. She has wings of her own after all.
If he could fly, I wouldn't call it messing with Jy's head, since Dan doesn't seem like he'd be that to his friends, even a new one. It's more like Dan was trying to give Jy an adrenaline rush from apparent life-threatening danger without Jy being in any real danger whatsoever.

Actually, have we ever once seen a circumstance where Dan would need to fly? Apart from the trapdoor at the Soulstealer mansion, but he wasn't in there alone long enough for him to need to take off. It's like with Artoo's rocket thrusters in Star Wars that show up in the Prequel but not in the original series: canonically, the rockets broke down and the company that made them went bankrupt so they couldn't be replaced, but at the same time at no point in the original series does Artoo need to use them. There's no point where Artoo gets into a mess that the rockets would be able to solve. Just a thought.

Corgatha Taldorthar

What about when he gets stuck in the swamp on Dagobah? That sounds like a situation where rockets would be handy......

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Corgatha Taldorthar on March 12, 2009, 02:46:38 PM
What about when he gets stuck in the swamp on Dagobah? That sounds like a situation where rockets would be handy......

... Have you considered what would happen if you fired off rockets while the outlets were choked with organic muck?

Big boom. Big, big boom.
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears