03/09/09 [DMFA #979] - More of a social faux pas

Started by Jairus, March 09, 2009, 12:28:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

llearch n'n'daCorna

See, and my take on it was the magically reinforced door declining Dan entry, forcibly, and Kria expecting that Dan will decline to accept her offer on grounds of being, well, either unconscious or dead...
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Cogidubnus

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on March 09, 2009, 01:23:01 PM
See, and my take on it was the magically reinforced door declining Dan entry, forcibly, and Kria expecting that Dan will decline to accept her offer on grounds of being, well, either unconscious or dead...

Ah, but it's om'inous black smoke comin' from that door. Bad sign it is, om'inous black smoke.

Prroul

Yanno, one thing I've liked about this mini-series? Dan finally, for the first time in a VERY long time, gets a chance to show off the fact that he *is* a Bad Ass (tm). Come on, this is a guy who went hunting demons and stuff, killed DP three times, and in general was so Bad Ass (tm) that he actually retired from the career as an Adventurer, which doesn't happen very often (while profitable, being an Adventurer offers extremely poor retirement/medical packages).

So yea, we get to see what happens when you DO push Dan to that limit. The OMFG-meter pegs.

So we, possibly, have DP reborn (again), still weaker than previous incarnations, and still likely woozy/weak from the resurrection. I'm thinking that DP is likely not going to be living very long this time around...

Tapewolf

Quote from: Prroul on March 09, 2009, 02:48:34 PM
Yanno, one thing I've liked about this mini-series? Dan finally, for the first time in a VERY long time, gets a chance to show off the fact that he *is* a Bad Ass (tm).

Agreed.  He's been pushed around, mocked and generally abused a lot lately, and it's good to see him actually staying on top, more-or-less.

QuoteSo we, possibly, have DP reborn (again), still weaker than previous incarnations, and still likely woozy/weak from the resurrection. I'm thinking that DP is likely not going to be living very long this time around...

Dan himself is liable to be woozy/weak from being smashed by that spell.  However, there is an interesting point which just occurred to me... DP probably thinks Dan is dead.

If we look back at strip 157 we see, essentially, mutual assured destruction.  In other words, they exchanged lethal blows.  DP would probably not have been immediately killed, but is liable to have died about the same time as Dan did.  Unless being dead gives him the ability to perceive the mortal realm, he probably died thinking that he'd taken Dan with him.  If he really has returned, this could be a big day of surprises for him.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Jairus

Quote from: Tapewolf on March 09, 2009, 03:00:50 PM
Dan himself is liable to be woozy/weak from being smashed by that spell.  However, there is an interesting point which just occurred to me... DP probably thinks Dan is dead.

If we look back at strip 157 we see, essentially, mutual assured destruction.  In other words, they exchanged lethal blows.  DP would probably not have been immediately killed, but is liable to have died about the same time as Dan did.  Unless being dead gives him the ability to perceive the mortal realm, he probably died thinking that he'd taken Dan with him.  If he really has returned, this could be a big day of surprises for him.
Oooh... *giggles* This could be fun...
Erupting Burning Sekiha Hell and Heaven Tenkyoken Tatsumaki Zankantō!!
NEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRDS! - Amber Williams
"And again I say unto you: bite me." - Harry Dresden
You'll catch crap no matter what sort of net you throw out - Me

Angel

(did not notice the ominous black smoke until now)

Whoa.

So, based on DP knowing who Destania was in this strip, and knowing she had a kid, and Dan in his cubi form with his clan-identifying draconic wing-heads out... and the fact that no-one is quite sure what exactly DP is going to BE when he comes out of that door at last...

We're in for a treat.

Take as long as you need to, Amber. Anticipation is half the fun. :D
The Real Myth of Sisyphus:
The itsy-bitsy spider went up the water spout,
Down came the rain and washed the spider out.
Out came the sun and dried up all the rain,
And the itsy-bitsy spider went up the spout again...
BANDWAGON JUMP!

Lisky

Friday, the epic scene change after abel's story

I support the demon race (usually with my hands)!   Also... LOOK A DISTRACTION! -->

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Black_angel on March 09, 2009, 05:05:20 PM
So, based on DP knowing who Destania was in this strip, and knowing she had a kid, and Dan in his cubi form with his clan-identifying draconic wing-heads out... and the fact that no-one is quite sure what exactly DP is going to BE when he comes out of that door at last...

Point of order. The wing heads merely identify him as "of a powerful clan with the clan head still alive" - not as Cyra, specifically. And since he hasn't used magic much, his Clan Mark (apparently to arrive on his shoulder or something, if I remember correctly) isn't there to identify him.

Which means that Dead Pegasus is gonna have to identify Dan as Dee's son through other means. If he can - it's by no means clear just how much of what we know is "common knowledge", and how much is just that we're watching Dan. For that matter, it's not obvious how much of what we don't know that is common knowledge, either. We'll just have to wait and see.

And yes, Antici...pation is half the fun. ;-]

Edit:
Oh. "... hasn't used magic much... yet" ;-]

ChaoSynergy

Kanepaul

This is a great cliffhanger and I think the next few comic are going to be eventful for Dan . 

inuhanyo

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on March 09, 2009, 06:34:43 PM
Quote from: Black_angel on March 09, 2009, 05:05:20 PM

Point of order. The wing heads merely identify him as "of a powerful clan with the clan head still alive" - not as Cyra, specifically. And since he hasn't used magic much, his Clan Mark (apparently to arrive on his shoulder or something, if I remember correctly) isn't there to identify him.

Which means that Dead Pegasus is gonna have to identify Dan as Dee's son through other means. If he can - it's by no means clear just how much of what we know is "common knowledge", and how much is just that we're watching Dan. For that matter, it's not obvious how much of what we don't know that is common knowledge, either. We'll just have to wait and see.

And yes, Antici...pation is half the fun. ;-]

Edit:
Oh. "... hasn't used magic much... yet" ;-]

As I recall, the shape of the tentacle heads is distinctive by clan.

Well, Dan's cast page says:
Facts: Dan's new wing tentacles have draconic heads. While unknown to Dan, this is actually a clan trait ...

Implies a degree of distinctiveness. Fa'Lina's wing tentacles have heads too, and they're a different shape.

Anyway, when DP shows up, we may finally learn what the correct interpretation of the second panel in 388 is.

Orion Asmodeus Dezagrats

Anyone stopped to think that perhaps Dan just placed a bomb at the door? He did seem to be racing away from it in the second-last panel. Also, there seems to be blast marks on the floor.
"There are things in life that we hold dear... Truths that we learn almost since the day we are born... beliefs that are solid as stone .... Then the wind blows a direction it cannot and certainty becomes an echo, and truth is sometimes deceiving."                          --Melpomene, Clan of the Cats

Jairus

Quote from: Orion Asmodeus Dezagrats on March 09, 2009, 09:59:06 PM
Anyone stopped to think that perhaps Dan just placed a bomb at the door? He did seem to be racing away from it in the second-last panel. Also, there seems to be blast marks on the floor.
Where would he get a bomb from? The armory next to the laundry room?

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: inuhanyo on March 09, 2009, 09:12:12 PM
As I recall, the shape of the tentacle heads is distinctive by clan.

Well, Dan's cast page says:
Facts: Dan's new wing tentacles have draconic heads. While unknown to Dan, this is actually a clan trait ...

Implies a degree of distinctiveness. Fa'Lina's wing tentacles have heads too, and they're a different shape.

A degree of distinctiveness, yes. But nothing there says it's unique to his clan - merely that draconic heads are a clan trait for his clan.

Nothing there about it not being a clan trait for any other clans.

I will grant you my previous post kinda missed the "draconic" bit. ;-]

Quote from: Orion Asmodeus Dezagrats on March 09, 2009, 09:59:06 PM

ah... where would he have gotten such a device, given that they don't exist outside of Jyrras' fevered imagination? And Jy is smart enough to avoid handing that sort of destructive device to someone who jumps off cliffs, I think...

Orion Asmodeus Dezagrats

Quote from: Jairus on March 09, 2009, 10:46:55 PM
Where would he get a bomb from? The armory next to the laundry room?

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on March 09, 2009, 10:56:00 PMWhere would he have gotten such a device, given that they don't exist outside of Jyrras' fevered imagination?

From Amber's NyQuil-influenced brain.
"There are things in life that we hold dear... Truths that we learn almost since the day we are born... beliefs that are solid as stone .... Then the wind blows a direction it cannot and certainty becomes an echo, and truth is sometimes deceiving."                          --Melpomene, Clan of the Cats

GabrielsThoughts

Quote from: ChaoSynergy on March 09, 2009, 07:22:12 PM
All I can say is

FU

SION

HA!

imagines fat Aliph/Regina combo....then sickly combo... darn shame fusion never works right the first few  times.
   clickity click click click. Quote in personal text is from Walter Bishop of Fringe.

ishidan

Quote from: Tapewolf on March 09, 2009, 01:04:24 PM
Quote from: AmigaDragon on March 09, 2009, 01:03:54 PM
If this is the case, perhaps she didn't do it right and got some undesired result. Maybe DP comes back undead, becoming something he hates.

That would be pretty sweet, actually.  Poetic justice and all.
Oooh.  From the Demonology pages:  "While unable to reproduce normally, the Undead can gain more members to their race simply by infecting another race via a lethal bite."
...so how long does the turning process take, and what happens if an undead discovers a fresh corpse on the table?
Regina:  "he'sgonnabreakdownthedoorhes'sgonnabreakdownthe...ooh.  I don't know who you are, but I need reinforcements."  *CHOMP*
DP:   :zombiekun2
DP:  DO NOT WANT!  You!  You did this!
Regina: *races for the door without thinking, but now can't open it to flee before DP unleashes the firebolt*

Jairus

Quote from: ishidan on March 10, 2009, 01:06:34 AM
Quote from: Tapewolf on March 09, 2009, 01:04:24 PM
Quote from: AmigaDragon on March 09, 2009, 01:03:54 PM
If this is the case, perhaps she didn't do it right and got some undesired result. Maybe DP comes back undead, becoming something he hates.

That would be pretty sweet, actually.  Poetic justice and all.
Oooh.  From the Demonology pages:  "While unable to reproduce normally, the Undead can gain more members to their race simply by infecting another race via a lethal bite."
...so how long does the turning process take, and what happens if an undead discovers a fresh corpse on the table?
Regina:  "he'sgonnabreakdownthedoorhes'sgonnabreakdownthe...ooh.  I don't know who you are, but I need reinforcements."  *CHOMP*
DP:   :zombiekun2
DP:  DO NOT WANT!  You!  You did this!
Regina: *races for the door without thinking, but now can't open it to flee before DP unleashes the firebolt*
Well, first of all, I think the entity in question has to be bitten before they die in order to become Undead. DP is already dead, so the bite's not going to work. He'd have to be raised as an Undead, like what had to have happened to Devin since the Undead didn't exist at the time. Which could be a botched resurrection ritual.
And second, the only undead in the Soulstealer house is Devin. Regina is a normal demon who has a scarred wing and doesn't regrow it because she thinks it looks cool.

PS: Welcome to the forums, BTW!

AmigaDragon

If you really want to push the envelope, MAYBE a bite within a minute or two after death MIGHT have a chance of the freshly dead rising, but that would be a very narrow window of opportunity, not like the full day prior to death. Then again, there's no particular reason they'd be willing to help unless it's apparent tthat it would be in their best interest for continued (now undead) existence.
"Cogito, ergo es. I think, therefore you is." Ray D. Tutto (King of the Moon) to Baron Munschaussen

Tapewolf

Quote from: GabrielsThoughts on March 10, 2009, 12:28:41 AM
imagines fat Aliph/Regina combo....then sickly combo... darn shame fusion never works right the first few  times.

Oh.  I assumed he meant Deuterium-Tritium fusion, and was kind of confused.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Terrion

Okay...

Some of the subtext that we seemed to have bypassed during our speculation on DP's return (and as what - my vote is as a dark mow), and whether or not Dan caused the explosion that opened the door (I doubt it - looks like he was blown back, not running away, as if he had done the later, he'd have done it before the explosion):

Has anyone else noticed that Lorenda and Kria are casually discussing simply opening the door (which would allow Dan to kill Regina in a particularly nasty and painful manner)? Lorenda makes the suggestion, and Kria's stated reason is that she doesn't because she can't, not because she wouldn't if she could. Neither of them seem to be considering trying to get Dan to cool down just yet, nor do they seem to be overly conserned about whether or not Regina survives his wrath.

Which seems to fall in step with typical creature philosophy: If Regina doesn't survive, she didn't deserve to live...

Corgatha Taldorthar

Something odd just occurred to me. According to Kria, the room that Dan is (was?) in can only be opened from the inside. So why did Regina seem so relieved when she closed the door on him? Maybe she just assumed that any significant barrier between herself and Dan would afford her enough time to make a getaway, but it seems odd that if the chamber is designed to be opened from the inside, Dan can't find his way out.

OTOH, being in a towering rage would probably make Dan more likely to try to smash his way out then finding the knob, or whatever mechanism opens the door. And judging from #978, the room seems to be soundproof, so Kria and Lorenda can't even shout out instructions, assuming whatever that Boom was didn't make the question moot.

Final note. Kria saying "I would if I could but I can't so I shant." had me cracking up. It's such an archiac phrasing, and it flies in the face of how "in touch" Kria always tries to act.
Someday, when we look back on this, we'll both laugh nervously and change the subject. More is good. All is better.

Jairus

Quote from: Corgatha Taldorthar on March 10, 2009, 11:52:18 AM
Something odd just occurred to me. According to Kria, the room that Dan is (was?) in can only be opened from the inside. So why did Regina seem so relieved when she closed the door on him? Maybe she just assumed that any significant barrier between herself and Dan would afford her enough time to make a getaway, but it seems odd that if the chamber is designed to be opened from the inside, Dan can't find his way out.

OTOH, being in a towering rage would probably make Dan more likely to try to smash his way out then finding the knob, or whatever mechanism opens the door. And judging from #978, the room seems to be soundproof, so Kria and Lorenda can't even shout out instructions, assuming whatever that Boom was didn't make the question moot.
Other way around, Corgi: Regina's the one locked into the safe/panic room (where Aliph's body is), and Dan's the one locked out. So, however it opens is on the other side of the door, and Regina was relieved because she A) had a barrier between her and Dan and B) was in a room that he couldn't get into.

Ted Schiller

Quote from: Terrion on March 10, 2009, 08:09:27 AM
Okay...

(snip)

Has anyone else noticed that Lorenda and Kria are casually discussing simply opening the door (which would allow Dan to kill Regina in a particularly nasty and painful manner)? Lorenda makes the suggestion, and Kria's stated reason is that she doesn't because she can't, not because she wouldn't if she could. Neither of them seem to be considering trying to get Dan to cool down just yet, nor do they seem to be overly conserned about whether or not Regina survives his wrath.

(snip)

This is not a casual conversation.

Quote from: LorendaMom! This is serious!  We need to help him!
...You are going to go help him right?

Quote from: KriaI want to...(snip)

Lorenda is insisting almost to the point of begging that Kria help Dan.
Which makes it even more weird. 
Regina, can you feel the love?   :erk

With regards,
Ted

Arcblade

Huh.  I was figuring that Dan broke the enchantment on the door by sheer force and the explosion for the unbound enchantment threw him back, but I suppose it's very likely that Aliph has returned and is now thoroughly pissed off.  This is...going to be interesting. 

So, who do you think we'll scene change to? 

Corgatha Taldorthar

Quote from: Jairus on March 10, 2009, 11:59:51 AM

Other way around, Corgi: Regina's the one locked into the safe/panic room (where Aliph's body is), and Dan's the one locked out. So, however it opens is on the other side of the door, and Regina was relieved because she A) had a barrier between her and Dan and B) was in a room that he couldn't get into.

*deepens the palm shaped imprint in his forehead.*

That makes a lot more sense than the way I thought of it. One question though. If there's no invulnerable room in between Kria and Lorenda and Dan, then how come there aren't any sound effects in strip 978? I mean, look at him trying to kick those doors in. He should be making a considerable amount of noise.

Quote from: Arcblade on March 10, 2009, 12:19:28 PM
Huh.  I was figuring that Dan broke the enchantment on the door by sheer force and the explosion for the unbound enchantment threw him back, but I suppose it's very likely that Aliph has returned and is now thoroughly pissed off.  This is...going to be interesting. 

Probably something extremely low-key. We haven't seen Azlan in a while. He could very well be relating another Neni horror story in the next strip. Something about visiting an IHOP and destroying the place or whatnot.
Someday, when we look back on this, we'll both laugh nervously and change the subject. More is good. All is better.

Jairus

Quote from: Corgatha Taldorthar on March 10, 2009, 12:27:41 PM
Quote from: Jairus on March 10, 2009, 11:59:51 AM

*deepens the palm shaped imprint in his forehead.*

That makes a lot more sense than the way I thought of it. One question though. If there's no invulnerable room in between Kria and Lorenda and Dan, then how come there aren't any sound effects in strip 978? I mean, look at him trying to kick those doors in. He should be making a considerable amount of noise.
I'm think that maybe it's because the background noise would detract from the foreground action. And might make the background events less funny. Also, it could make the comic a lot more cluttered. I'll call it dramatic (or in this case would it be called medium?) license on the part of Amber.

Quote from: Corgatha Taldorthar on March 10, 2009, 12:27:41 PM
Quote from: Arcblade on March 10, 2009, 12:19:28 PM

Probably something extremely low-key. We haven't seen Azlan in a while. He could very well be relating another Neni horror story in the next strip. Something about visiting an IHOP and destroying the place or whatnot.
"And that was the last time I took Neni out for waffles."
"I remember that: Belgium almost declared war on Lichtenstein."

I wonder what Wildy's been up to, especially since it's only been a few days since she and Jyrras had their little argument over the Janus Bond book. I could see her trying to seek Jy out to try and discuss it. Or we won't cut away and we'll see Dark Pegasus proudly and majestically stride out from the room in a wreath of dark smoke and then stumble and trip over his own feet and land flat on his face. I can't imagine he'd be very coordinated after being resurrected. Like waking up from a deep sleep or something like that.

Corgatha Taldorthar

On the other hand, Dan's probably been hurled backwards through the room from the force of the explosion. Depending on how hard he impacted with the wall or whatever the nearest object was, he might not be in much better shape than DP. Plus, while she might have displayed some apathy where Regina was concerned, I don't think she'd be all that happy of Dan and DP resuming their duel to the death in her house. She probably can stop the two of them you know.

Jairus

Quote from: Corgatha Taldorthar on March 10, 2009, 12:35:40 PM
On the other hand, Dan's probably been hurled backwards through the room from the force of the explosion. Depending on how hard he impacted with the wall or whatever the nearest object was, he might not be in much better shape than DP. Plus, while she might have displayed some apathy where Regina was concerned, I don't think she'd be all that happy of Dan and DP resuming their duel to the death in her house. She probably can stop the two of them you know.
"Dark Pegasus, I shall slay you!... just as soon as the room stops spinning."
"Your time is at an end, Ti'Fiona! Oh, hello floor, didn't see you there."
"Now now, boys. We've got tea and sandwiches, and I'm not going to let you scratch up my house any more. Who's hungry? Oh, hi Regina."
"Regina?!? REGINA?!!?!!"
"Oh, hush Danny-boy." *bops him upside the head and knocks him out*

Yeah, that was stupid. Sorry.

FreeFull

Unfortunately for Dan, this time DP has the advantage of magic... I wonder how this will turn out.