I am a technological black hole!

Started by Amber Williams, February 22, 2009, 05:13:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tapewolf

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on February 23, 2009, 06:02:06 AM
wpagui, I think, is the package for gui additions. Mind you, I don't have a WPA network to go play on, otherwise I'd be looking into it - apparently the card I'm using in the AP supports it, it's just a matter of finding time to mess with it when the wife isn't trying to use the network :-/

I might try that next time, but I can't say when.  In the last two weeks I've downloaded and installed about 10 different distributions, split across the EeePC and the other laptop, so it's not something I feel like doing again for the time being.

QuoteMind you, I'm a strange one. The debian install I've got on there has most of the gui tools stripped out, because I'm happier with a command line...

Depends what you're using the device for.  My EeePC spends most of its time as a portable internet terminal, and I've used GIMP a lot on it while travelling.  The mods I made to Turnsky's Daryil picture were done on the Eee.  For those purposes, a GUI is most handy.  (Though yes, I do always have a shortcut to the console).

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

llearch n'n'daCorna

Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Tapewolf

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on February 23, 2009, 06:27:43 AM
ctrl-alt-f1, isn't it? ;-]
Not on Xandros, unfortunately.  The VT also makes life difficult if you want to launch GUI apps from the console...

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Amber Williams

Status Update:

Well, the mouse is back...but the quality is still questionable. Its like there is something going on with the micelings that really want to make the clicking go haywire. Like I will click once, but it counts as if I clicked 2 times in rapid succession. Not so terrible with internet browsing...but when you are trying to colour with a mouse in Photoshop...its brutal.

That and Firefox still keeps eating mah cookies everytime I close it down. Even after re-installing firefox. :U

I will probably be spending most of today working on trying to get my mouse back and running proper.  My biggest worry is I will have to buy YET AGAIN a new one just for the install cd.  Ugh...stupid mouse.

Turnsky

Quote from: Amber Williams on February 23, 2009, 10:09:50 AM
Status Update:

Well, the mouse is back...but the quality is still questionable. Its like there is something going on with the micelings that really want to make the clicking go haywire. Like I will click once, but it counts as if I clicked 2 times in rapid succession. Not so terrible with internet browsing...but when you are trying to colour with a mouse in Photoshop...its brutal.

what brand?.. if it's logitech you prolly could nab a new setpoint install off the site.

Dragons, it's what's for dinner... with gravy and potatoes, YUM!
Sparta? no, you should've taken that right at albuquerque..

rabid_fox

Now's a good time to look into fingerpainting.

Oh dear.

MT Hazard

My sympathy to those with computer problems, I seem to have bouts of me causing equipment to misbehave, finding new and interesting error message and the like.

Recently after being told I couldn't crash a mac, it turned out I had, my laptop is on its second hard drive after the other one had the hardware equivalent of a stoke.

Still, not as bad as Art's Artist based anti-technology radiation 
Grammar and I Don't always get on.

Link of the moment:  Sleepless domain (web comic) 

Jack McSlay

Quote from: Amber Williams on February 23, 2009, 10:09:50 AMMy biggest worry is I will have to buy YET AGAIN a new one just for the install cd.  Ugh...stupid mouse.
woudn't the manufacturer's website of the mouse/motherboards have those already?

And I think this looks like a virus has chewed off the Windows' registry.

But having the mouse double-clicking by itself is generally the mouse's fault. If you have a spare mouse, I suggest you try it now.
Keyboard not detected. Press F1 to resume.

AmigaDragon

Is it double clicking just when trying to click? It could be a dirty switch contact. With their size and construction, it's not worth trying to clean them. Though it's also possible that it could be dust or hairs inside the mouse body between the button and the switch. I've had some odd double clicks due to this myself and blowing/picking out the dust/hair helped for a while.

----------------
Now playing on Winamp: Johann Sebastian Bach - Violin Concerto No. 2 (Classical Minnesota Public Radio)
via FoxyTunes
"Cogito, ergo es. I think, therefore you is." Ray D. Tutto (King of the Moon) to Baron Munschaussen

Mao

Quote from: Jack McSlay on February 23, 2009, 10:02:36 PM
Quote from: Amber Williams on February 23, 2009, 10:09:50 AMMy biggest worry is I will have to buy YET AGAIN a new one just for the install cd.  Ugh...stupid mouse.
woudn't the manufacturer's website of the mouse/motherboards have those already?

And I think this looks like a virus has chewed off the Windows' registry.

But having the mouse double-clicking by itself is generally the mouse's fault. If you have a spare mouse, I suggest you try it now.
Quote from: AmigaDragon on February 24, 2009, 03:42:23 AM
Is it double clicking just when trying to click? It could be a dirty switch contact. With their size and construction, it's not worth trying to clean them. Though it's also possible that it could be dust or hairs inside the mouse body between the button and the switch. I've had some odd double clicks due to this myself and blowing/picking out the dust/hair helped for a while.

----------------
Now playing on Winamp: Johann Sebastian Bach - Violin Concerto No. 2 (Classical Minnesota Public Radio)
via FoxyTunes

I think she's already said that she's tried a few other mice.  As for the virus possibility, I don't think it would have these kind of reactions if it was just a registry problem.  If it was a registry problem, the thing likely wouldn't work at all imho.

Malakin

I would suggest two things:

1) if you have a USB port on your keyboard (which works fine right?) try sticking your mouse in that.

2) Completely uninstalling all drivers for your mice, then DLing a new set off the manufacturers website, it could be that you have some how installed several versions of the drivers and they are fighting...
"The only limit to my freedom is the inevitable closure of the
universe, as inevitable as your own last breath. And yet,
there remains time to create, to create, and escape.

Escape will make me God.
"

llearch n'n'daCorna

... All of these things are neat and all, but don't you fella's read? She said she wasn't interested.

Now, her hubby, he might have some interest in these suggestions, but Amber? She's on her weekend. Try some other time.

Sheesh.

Mao

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on February 24, 2009, 02:02:01 PM
... All of these things are neat and all, but don't you fella's read? She said she wasn't interested.

Now, her hubby, he might have some interest in these suggestions, but Amber? She's on her weekend. Try some other time.

Sheesh.

Beyond that, there's a good chance that she's already tried a lot of this stuff.  Y'know.. since she's already said that most of the stuff people have been suggesting she's tried.. and most of the things that have been posted since then are just slight variations or kinda obvious things.

PinkKitty

You say these things as if expecting people to not suffer the common forum disease of "not reading beyond the first post"... *rolls eyes and sighs* Alas, there will never be a situation where everyone actually takes the time to read through something before replying.

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: PinkKitty on February 24, 2009, 03:39:00 PM
You say these things as if expecting people to not suffer the common forum disease of "not reading beyond the first post"... *rolls eyes and sighs* Alas, there will never be a situation where everyone actually takes the time to read through something before replying.

No. I say these things instructing people to read beyond the first post.

Or else I'll start revoking the right to post, as per the rules. Mao seems to have caught the subtext, there. Perhaps I should be more explicit? ;-]

Naldru

Waving non-functioning equipment in front of us geeky nerds is worse than waving a string in front of a kitten.  My daughter claims I can't pass by any piece of broken electronics without trying to fix it.  Because of this, she tries to get me to leave my screwdrivers and wrenches at home when we go out to dinner.  I understand the obsession demonstrated by many readers of the forum.  (I think we also recognize Jyrras as one of us.  When I look at him, I recognize a fellow ex-member of the high school audio-visual club.)
Learn to laugh at yourself, and you will never be without a source of amusement.

Corgatha Taldorthar

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on February 24, 2009, 03:57:03 PM

Or else I'll start revoking the right to post, as per the rules. Mao seems to have caught the subtext, there. Perhaps I should be more explicit? ;-]

Maybe some provision is needed to tell people not to post something that's been posted 3 times before by the previous posters in a thread.
Someday, when we look back on this, we'll both laugh nervously and change the subject. More is good. All is better.

Ted Schiller

::Mrs. Williams watches Dire Mouse in the distance and contemplates her next move.  After a taco.::   >:3

With regards,
Ted

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Corgatha Taldorthar on February 24, 2009, 05:05:45 PM
Maybe some provision is needed to tell people not to post something that's been posted 3 times before by the previous posters in a thread.

Common sense? That's already listed.

Ted Schiller

Quote from: Naldru on February 24, 2009, 04:55:25 PM
(snip) .... When I look at him, I recognize a fellow ex-member of the high school audio-visual club.)

Didn't help me.   :B  I was a member of the audio-visual club, yet I couldn't successfully make Heathkit's am radio.  The shame.   :cry

I guess I'll just have to settle for being extremely handsome.   :rolleyes

With regards,
Ted

PinkKitty

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on February 24, 2009, 03:57:03 PM

Aye, I know... I was mostly being sarcastic hoping the additional bluntness would help out a bit with the problem, but if you wish for me to be quiet than I shall be.

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: PinkKitty on February 24, 2009, 06:30:22 PM
Aye, I know... I was mostly being sarcastic hoping the additional bluntness would help out a bit with the problem, but if you wish for me to be quiet than I shall be.

Ah, I missed the sarcasm. It's hard to read tone on the Internet - I know, because people keep mistaking _mine_. Hence why, when I start throwing my moderator boots around, I like to make sure it's clear what's being said.

How about we both smile and nod, and move on? *grin*

Mao

I didn't really need to 'get' your subtext, as I was trying to convey the same message with my post before that... though in an unfortunately too subtle attempt.  Next time I'll try to be a bit more clear.

Attic Rat

Quote from: Ted Schiller on February 24, 2009, 05:19:40 PM
Quote from: Naldru on February 24, 2009, 04:55:25 PM
(snip) .... When I look at him, I recognize a fellow ex-member of the high school audio-visual club.)

Didn't help me.   :B  I was a member of the audio-visual club, yet I couldn't successfully make Heathkit's am radio.  The shame.   :cry

I guess I'll just have to settle for being extremely handsome.   :rolleyes

With regards,
Ted

How tragic! I was not a member of any such club, yet I not only built a Heathkit AM radio, but modified it to run on a 9v battery during power outages. Ah, well...
Oddly enough, the employees using two of the Windows-XP-based workstations at my undisclosed place of employment have complained of their mouse being both deceased and inexplicably unresponsive to first-aid. Maybe it's something going around?
When I checked them out, the mice seemed healthy and even vigorous, but perhaps mice simply love me.
:boogie

It's all part of my plan to Take Over The World.
Egad!
Which would you like to be, ignorant or misled?

Pagan

How does being good with computer mice lead to or help lead to world domination?
After a long time, some things change. Some things don't. And I still love Regina!

AmigaDragon

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on February 24, 2009, 05:11:54 PM
Quote from: Corgatha Taldorthar on February 24, 2009, 05:05:45 PM

Common sense? That's already listed.

Does common sense even exist any more? I see so much in the world these days that seems to indicate it doesn't (just look at the Darwin Awards). :zombiekun2

----------------
Now playing on Winamp: Alice Cooper - School's Out (1972) (SonicBlu's Time Machine Show - KWKAT)
via FoxyTunes
"Cogito, ergo es. I think, therefore you is." Ray D. Tutto (King of the Moon) to Baron Munschaussen

LionHeart

The Darwin Awards are about people increasing the average intelligence of the human gene pool...
"3x2(9yz)4a!"

"We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!"

I'm on deviantART.
Also FurAffinity

Corgatha Taldorthar

Quote from: LionHeart on February 25, 2009, 12:51:53 PM
The Darwin Awards are about people increasing the average intelligence of the human gene pool...

By cutting out the bottom.......... I.e. the ones with no common sense.
Someday, when we look back on this, we'll both laugh nervously and change the subject. More is good. All is better.

Tiger_T

Quote from: Attic Rat on February 24, 2009, 10:37:36 PM

It's all part of my plan to Take Over The World.
Egad!

Say Brain, what are we going to do tonight? :tongue

@ Amber:
Have you tried waving a dead chicken over your mouse yet? :rolleyes

PS: Sorry to hear of your troubles. Good luck with solving the problem. :3
Tigriel's got a guest:

A Furry fan, that's what I am! - Proud member of the AP-Team. - Avatar Art by INK

Ted Schiller

Quote from: Tiger_T on February 25, 2009, 01:54:42 PM
(snip)
@ Amber:
Have you tried waving a dead chicken over your mouse yet? :rolleyes

(snip)

Popeye or KFC?

With regards,
Ted