20/02/09 [PF #53] - It didn't really sink in

Started by Jairus, February 20, 2009, 11:43:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tapewolf

Quote from: Jairus on February 21, 2009, 03:41:54 PM
"Dorcan Technology College?" Heh. Neat. If that's what his name's a reference too.
Actually he's named after the industrial estate, but yeah - it's a borough of east Swindon where I used to work.

**EDIT**

Talking of angry Dorcan, I've just found this:
http://www.project-future.org/strips/comic/strip053-old.png

...if you look at the bottom right panel, Dorcan looks really mad.  I tried several things to fix this before Ren asked for the multilayers and somehow managed to correct it.  To this day I'm not sure what he did.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Tyranastrasz

Quote from: Tapewolf on February 21, 2009, 03:44:41 PM
...if you look at the bottom right panel, Dorcan looks really mad.  I tried several things to fix this before Ren asked for the multilayers and somehow managed to correct it.  To this day I'm not sure what he did.

It looks like he edited his eyebrows to be less  >:3 and more  :neko and made his right pupil have more substance  ( :blink rather than  :erk )

And it is so easy to explain differences in facial expressions with all these smilies one has access to on these forums...

Pagan

Quote from: Tapewolf on February 21, 2009, 03:34:28 PM
Quote from: Kipiru on February 21, 2009, 03:27:58 PM
Because you obviously haven't seen Dorkan angry. That guy is scary!

Fortunately, no tentacles.  He'd be pretty pissed if you called him 'Dork', actually - I imagine he was called that a lot as a kid.

Why do you think I nicknamed him "Dorc"?
After a long time, some things change. Some things don't. And I still love Regina!

Tapewolf

Pagan

Quote from: Tapewolf on February 21, 2009, 06:06:24 PM
Quote from: Pagan on February 21, 2009, 06:05:46 PM

I thought Mao started that one...

If he did, I didn't notice. And I apologize to Mao, but he didn't copy-right it :P.  I used the name after coming up with it on my own though.
After a long time, some things change. Some things don't. And I still love Regina!

Jairus

Quote from: Pagan on February 21, 2009, 06:09:34 PM
Quote from: Tapewolf on February 21, 2009, 06:06:24 PM
Quote from: Pagan on February 21, 2009, 06:05:46 PM
I thought Mao started that one...
If he did, I didn't notice. And I apologize to Mao, but he didn't copy-right it :P.  I used the name after coming up with it on my own though.
I call him Dork-boy, but that's not out of any malice or anything. No offense to Dorcan, he just doesn't seem as quick on the uptake as other characters. Kind of like how one of Marius' nicknames (from Les Miserables) is Dolt-boy.
Erupting Burning Sekiha Hell and Heaven Tenkyoken Tatsumaki Zankantō!!
NEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRDS! - Amber Williams
"And again I say unto you: bite me." - Harry Dresden
You'll catch crap no matter what sort of net you throw out - Me

Pagan

Sides, nicknames are supposed to be irritating. Right, Jubblies?

Jairus

Quote from: Pagan on February 21, 2009, 06:12:47 PM
Sides, nicknames are supposed to be irritating. Right, Jubblies?
Exactly, Danny-boy. ;)

GabrielsThoughts

I would assume not breathing would be a bib clue that you were a machine...oh well.
   clickity click click click. Quote in personal text is from Walter Bishop of Fringe.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Jairus on February 21, 2009, 06:11:20 PM
No offense to Dorcan, he just doesn't seem as quick on the uptake as other characters.

Ah, Keaton - your strip title hath missed its mark...

In all honesty, he's been conscious for about two minutes, probably less.  Niall is really talking to him a bit too soon... it's only in the last couple of panels that he starts to focus.

Quote from: GabrielsThoughts on February 21, 2009, 06:15:40 PM
I would assume not breathing would be a bib clue that you were a machine...oh well.
Unlike Joshua, Dorcan could hold his breath for an hour or so when he was alive.

Pagan

Oh... Hm. What emotion did Dorc feed on? He doesn't have a cast page and I'm too lazy to look up something beyond that.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Pagan on February 21, 2009, 06:23:36 PM
Oh... Hm. What emotion did Dorc feed on? He doesn't have a cast page and I'm too lazy to look up something beyond that.
He does, actually, but it's hidden.  I'll change that.

Jairus

Quote from: Tapewolf on February 21, 2009, 06:22:05 PM
Quote from: Jairus on February 21, 2009, 06:11:20 PM
No offense to Dorcan, he just doesn't seem as quick on the uptake as other characters.

Ah, Keaton - your strip title hath missed its mark...

In all honesty, he's been conscious for about two minutes, probably less.  Niall is really talking to him a bit too soon... it's only in the last couple of panels that he starts to focus.
Makes sense. He did just wake up, and most people (Granny Weatherwax excluded) don't think very well shortly after waking up.

Quote from: Tapewolf on February 21, 2009, 06:22:05 PM
Quote from: GabrielsThoughts on February 21, 2009, 06:15:40 PM
Unlike Joshua, Dorcan could hold his breath for an hour or so when he was alive.
... Joshua could do that? Dang. What the hell was he?

Tapewolf

Quote from: Jairus on February 21, 2009, 06:25:50 PM
No, no, no.  Read it again.  Joshua had to breathe while he was alive because he was a Being - Dorcan was an incubus and didn't need to breathe (as much).  Abel in his current state can apparently hold his breath for up to an hour (I'll have to find the exact reference), Dorcan is a hundred years younger, so he might not be that good, but I'm sure he could thrash most Beings at tombstone diving.

Jairus

Quote from: Tapewolf on February 21, 2009, 06:31:17 PM
No, no, no.  Read it again.  Joshua had to breathe while he was alive because he was a Being - Dorcan was an incubus and didn't need to breathe (as much).  Abel in his current state can apparently hold his breath for up to an hour (I'll have to find the exact reference), Dorcan is a hundred years younger, so he might not be that good, but I'm sure he could thrash most Beings at tombstone diving.

... well, I feel like an idiot.

Tapewolf

GabrielsThoughts

but how do we know Abel wasn't just pulling Dan's tail, when he implied he could hold his breath for that long?
   clickity click click click. Quote in personal text is from Walter Bishop of Fringe.

Jairus

Quote from: GabrielsThoughts on February 21, 2009, 06:39:59 PM

but how do we know Abel wasn't just pulling Dan's tail, when he implied he could hold his breath for that long?
Abel didn't say that: Amber did. I don't think Abel's ever mentioned something like that. Just follow the link in Tape's post. Or this one.

Mao

Quote from: Jairus on February 21, 2009, 06:31:59 PM

... well, I feel like an idiot.

I'd say you're a dork.

Ren Gaulen

Mao

Ren Gaulen

Pagan

Jairus

AmigaDragon

Quote from: Jairus on February 20, 2009, 03:49:24 PM
Jakob should just make one of those old projector movies they showed in schools long ago, so he can save time explaining things to all of these androids. You know like the ones that talked about drunk driving and puberty and surviving atomic holocausts by ducking under

"Hi, and welcome to So You're An Android Now. Your body has gone through a lot of changes, so let's get started and see what's happened to you!"

As long as it's for android bodies, couldn't they feed it directly into the audio and visual processors instead of projecting it on a screen? Jack in the instruction video like the training sims  and skills in The Matrix.
"Cogito, ergo es. I think, therefore you is." Ray D. Tutto (King of the Moon) to Baron Munschaussen

Jairus

Quote from: AmigaDragon on February 22, 2009, 03:05:39 AM
Quote from: Jairus on February 20, 2009, 03:49:24 PM
Jakob should just make one of those old projector movies they showed in schools long ago, so he can save time explaining things to all of these androids. You know like the ones that talked about drunk driving and puberty and surviving atomic holocausts by ducking under

"Hi, and welcome to So You're An Android Now. Your body has gone through a lot of changes, so let's get started and see what's happened to you!"
As long as it's for android bodies, couldn't they feed it directly into the audio and visual processors instead of projecting it on a screen? Jack in the instruction video like the training sims  and skills in The Matrix.
You're trying to ease these people into their new bodies and new lifestyle: you don't want to dump all of that information on them right away. They might go nuts! No, it's best to use a form of media that they are used to in order to help introduce them to all of their body's new features. IE, a visual one. Later on they can try a data port or something like that.

Sunblink

The weird thing is, I just realized, if the village Dorcan was executed in had anything like the US court system, he probably would have only gotten a few years in prison. Although it depends. WOW. :B

I wonder what Dorcan's trial would have been like.

"Your honor, there is no reason to sentence the defendant. There is no physical evidence, it was proved that when the rape allegedly happened the defendant was attending a seminar on Cubi Abstaining From Violence and Rampaging, and he has no history of violence."
"Your honor, the defendant still has wings and that means he sucks."

Tapewolf

Quote from: Keaton the Black Jackal on February 23, 2009, 06:59:38 PM
The weird thing is, I just realized, if the village Dorcan was executed in had anything like the US court system, he probably would have only gotten a few years in prison. Although it depends. WOW. :B
The main charges were 'rape' and 'attempted soul-eating'.  I suspect that if the latter was possible in the US you'd get more than a few years.

QuoteI wonder what Dorcan's trial would have been like.
I don't think he was even permitted to attend it.

Sunblink

Quote from: Tapewolf on February 23, 2009, 07:10:36 PM
Quote from: Keaton the Black Jackal on February 23, 2009, 06:59:38 PM
The main charges were 'rape' and 'attempted soul-eating'.  I suspect that if the latter was possible in the US you'd get more than a few years.

This is true. :U

Brunhidden

souleating is something like murder times ten, so attempted soul eating should be about attempted murder times ten

then again rape itself often had a hanging offense in much of history, or some other version of surgery
Some will fall in love with life,
and drink it from a fountain;
that is pouring like an avalanche,
coming down the mountain.