[Comic] 29/09/08 (Project Future Pg. 32 remixed)

Started by Tapewolf, March 01, 2008, 01:38:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brunhidden

do they scream when shot? if not the very least is to have one of them stick its toung out
Some will fall in love with life,
and drink it from a fountain;
that is pouring like an avalanche,
coming down the mountain.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Brunhidden on September 21, 2008, 03:42:56 PM
do they scream when shot? if not the very least is to have one of them stick its toung out
They're just empty shells.  Though as for the tongue, you have no idea how tempting that was.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

llearch n'n'daCorna

I could guess at the recorder, but I got a cookie from Aisha just the other day.

What's not to enjoy with getting a chance to shoot things in the head a lot?
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Jairus

No idea on the recorder, but that's a neat bit of info on the Soul-Stone: would that make it easier to fix a broken body or replace one damaged beyond repair, like in Josh's case? Man though, that's gotta be interesting having that process done to you.

"What disturbs me is that I enjoyed it." That cracks me up.
Erupting Burning Sekiha Hell and Heaven Tenkyoken Tatsumaki Zankantō!!
NEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRDS! - Amber Williams
"And again I say unto you: bite me." - Harry Dresden
You'll catch crap no matter what sort of net you throw out - Me

Ren Gaulen

Tapewolf

Quote from: Jairus on September 21, 2008, 03:47:18 PM
No idea on the recorder, but that's a neat bit of info on the Soul-Stone: would that make it easier to fix a broken body or replace one damaged beyond repair, like in Josh's case? Man though, that's gotta be interesting having that process done to you.
Pretty much it's like a parachute, a sort of last-resort. 

Quote"What disturbs me is that I enjoyed it." That cracks me up.
That was not quite the idea  >:3

**EDIT**
Random trivia - I made Joshua's hands larger.  Originally it looked a bit like he was in a straitjacket.

**END EDIT**

If you're interested, this is the original Wall-O'-Text script:

1. In the common room.  Joshua and Jakob sitting on a couch.  Joshua is almost back to normal and Jakob has an earnest expression on his face.  There is a R2R on a table, either a _____ or an Akai GX4000.

Joshua: "So that's how you were able to link my brain to the robot?"
Jakob: "Yes.  My race has a natural advantage in neurosurgery as we are able to 'see' the mind working.  Without the ability to debug a Being's nervous system, it wouldn't have been possible."

2. As before

Jakob: "Even so, I needed a great deal of help from my clan leader, Daryil, for his skill at mind-reading is far greater than mine.  You may remember him, from a dream, perhaps?"

3. Joshua, looking a bit concerned.   Jakob shows him the soulstone again

Joshua: "But how did you know you'd be able to steal my soul?  It was fluke, wasn't it?"

Jakob: "It was implanted in your skull, with a standing enchantment to trap your soul if you died.  Not my idea, though - a military invention, actually.  Everyone here has one."

4. Josh surprised, Jakob businesslike

Joshua: "Even you?"
Jakob: "Of course, and there's one in your head now,although it should be more bulletproof now."

5. Flashback of Jakob shooting some heads

Joshua: "Have you tested it?"
Jakob: "Mockups, yes.  I tried to execute them with handguns, sniper rifles, AP rounds and so forth."

6. Closeup of Jakob's face with sour expression, almost whispering

Jakob: "What frightens me is that I enjoyed it."

Zedd

GabrielsThoughts

clickity click click click. Quote in personal text is from Walter Bishop of Fringe.

Gabi

I like Jakob's expression on the last panel.
~~ Gabi a.k.a. Gliynn Starseed, APF ~~
Thanks to Silver for the yappities, and to everyone for being so great!
(12:28:12) llearch: Gabi is equal-opportunity friendly

Tapewolf

Quote from: Gabi on September 23, 2008, 12:52:34 PM
I like Jakob's expression on the last panel.
Yes, it's delightfully evil/untrustworthy.  Which suits me to a tee.

Tapewolf

Ren must really being going through some kind of bad patch at the moment, because I still don't have the lineart.  To keep the story moving I'll see if I can construct it from library art - that's usually pretty quick, and I should be able to drop the real ones in if the lineart does turn up later today.

Tapewolf

Okay, Ren's going to be a bit longer with the lineart as he seems to have been hit by some RL issue which threw him off schedule.  For now I've put up a construct strip from library art... I'll replace it with the final version as and when it becomes available.

Next week we'll be running the guest flashback so we're unlikely to be late then and it should give us a buffer as well.

Turnsky

Dragons, it's what's for dinner... with gravy and potatoes, YUM!
Sparta? no, you should've taken that right at albuquerque..

Zedd

Lysander

I enjoy the comic much thus far. Keep up the good work.   :januscat
TytajLucheek

Tapewolf

While I do appreciate the well-wishing (and I'm sure Ren does too), I'm a little curious that no-one's commented on the strip itself yet.  From what Ren's said, the layout isn't too different to the final version, and the background and dialogue will certainly be the same.

Jairus

Well, I'm just trying to figure out what exactly is going on, but I presume the device that the ball of light is sitting on allow it to communicate? It looks sort of like a containment device, whatever it is. And I guess it also needs the mic that Yak is talking into in order to hear? Is it a soul of some kind, and the prototype is something equivalent to Josh's body (only more powerful), or am I asking questions that were asked months ago? Which makes me think that the ritual would be the same thing that the Soul Crystal does: trap whatever it is in a crystal, and implant it in a new body. The word ritual never gives me a good feeling, though. Or I could just be wildly speculating and be completely off of the mark.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Jairus on September 28, 2008, 06:37:13 PM
I presume the device that the ball of light is sitting on allow it to communicate? It looks sort of like a containment device, whatever it is. And I guess it also needs the mic that Yak is talking into in order to hear?

Pretty much.  In actual fact the ball of light is part of the communication mechanism - specifically part of the tech-magic interfacing, rather than the soul itself.
(Guilty secret: originally it was just going to be a large, grey box - but the ball of light looked more interesting).

As for the prototype and the ritual, those will remain obscure for the time being.

llearch n'n'daCorna

I'd comment, but having read the story, I'm at a loss to comment without giving everything away...

Suffice it to say that I'm enjoying it, anyway.

Tapewolf

This scene (and the others like it) owes a lot to the Dr. Who series The Brain of Morbius (1976).  I was hoping that we could duplicate some of the expressions and body language in homage to it, but that looks like it was overstretching things.

Sofox

I was wondering whether it was one of those sitcom plots where Joshua hears this and panics that the prototype means him and that they're going to do all sorts of horrible things to him... and in the end it turns out to be something completely different.

llearch n'n'daCorna

Tapewolf

I have the new artwork.  With luck, I'll have the revised page up tonight, but no promises.

Jairus

Quote from: Tapewolf on September 29, 2008, 09:33:48 AM
I have the new artwork.  With luck, I'll have the revised page up tonight, but no promises.

"A delayed game is eventually good. A bad game is bad forever."

Now, I can't remember who said that (he worked on some video game I've never played, that's all I remember), but you can apply this to a lot of things. Take your time and don't rush it: barring horrible accidents, we should all be here for a while.

Tapewolf

Okay people, the final version of strip 32 is up.  Enjoy.

Zedd