Patches + Fur = ?

Started by Jack McSlay, November 11, 2008, 06:25:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jack McSlay

I was thinking, do the patches use glue? as anyone probably knows, glue and fur are a BAD mix...
unless there's some effective solvent or the glue loosens after some time.
Keyboard not detected. Press F1 to resume.

Mao

You mean the ones that Jyrras made?  It's quite likely they use static cling to work.  For example, if you rub a balloon on your hair the static electricity can make it stick there.

llearch n'n'daCorna

... how about magic?

Magic sounds good. Since the whole idea of the patches is that they use, well, magic...
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Mao

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on November 11, 2008, 06:28:49 PM
... how about magic?

Magic sounds good. Since the whole idea of the patches is that they use, well, magic...

I thought the things that Jyrras made were completely untouched by magic. :S

Ren Gaulen

Quote from: Mowser on November 11, 2008, 06:31:35 PM
Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on November 11, 2008, 06:28:49 PM
... how about magic?

I though the things that Jyrras made were completely untouched by magic. :S
I remember him mentioning that Mab helped him with the patches, though.

Cogidubnus

Ren Gaulen

Mao

Quote from: Cogidubnus on November 11, 2008, 06:45:49 PM
A combination of magic and science.

Oooh, thanks.  Completely forgot that.

Quote from: Ren Gaulen on November 11, 2008, 06:55:04 PM
I can't resist.. WHAT HAVE MAGIC AND SCIENCE DONE?!! D: ..Sorry.

Y'know.. for someone who follows the God Emperor of the Imperium I find it strangely heretical for you not to have complete and unwavering faith in both science and magic.  The God Emperor was a man of science before the events that led to his slumber and you follow a living god.  Sounds like a bit of magic to me.

Heretic.

Cogidubnus

Quote from: Ren Gaulen on November 11, 2008, 06:55:04 PM
I can't resist.. WHAT HAVE MAGIC AND SCIENCE DONE?!! D: ..Sorry.

THE ADEPTUS MECHANICUS ARE NOT PLEASED. >:[

Quote from: Mowser on November 11, 2008, 06:58:23 PM
Y'know.. for someone who follows the God Emperor of the Imperium I find it strangely heretical for you not to have complete and unwavering faith in both science and magic.  The God Emperor was a man of science before the events that led to his slumber and you follow a living god.  Sounds like a bit of magic to me.

Heretic.

On the other hand, you're questioning and talking back to an Imperial Commissar. Sounds like heresy to me... >:]

Mao

Quote from: Cogidubnus on November 11, 2008, 07:07:37 PM

Heretic.

On the other hand, you're questioning and talking back to an Imperial Commissar. Sounds like heresy to me... >:]

We already know I'm a heretic.

llearch n'n'daCorna

Yes, but we all know Mowser is doing it for the greater good.

e_voyager

Heretic.

have you ever read the second part of the blue adept series?
I thank Silver Fox and Tiger_T for the wonderful Yappies.  all around the universe powers learned to hiss and curse at this, my creation but am i real or pure creation?
 I'm never where i was, rarely where i want to be, but always were i am needed.
 this world is not my own. but some how i wish that i could belong. Blame It On Boxey

AmigaDragon

What point separates the first and second parts of the series? I believe I've read through the 3rd book but I'm looking for the 4th before reading the 5th (or wherever my gap is).
Quote from: Jack McSlay on November 11, 2008, 06:25:49 PM
I was thinking, do the patches use glue? as anyone probably knows, glue and fur are a BAD mix...
unless there's some effective solvent or the glue loosens after some time.
In the case of Dan's bracer patch, an adhesive was unnecessary.
"Cogito, ergo es. I think, therefore you is." Ray D. Tutto (King of the Moon) to Baron Munschaussen

Chaos

Heretic.

I should stay out of this... it bound to end badly.  :<

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: e_voyager on November 11, 2008, 09:14:04 PM

IIRC, he started to lose the plot about midway through, and ended up just barfing random junk onto the page and hoping it would sell, based purely on his name on the cover.

Mind you, that's my explanation for the Xanth series degradation, as well, so...

Eagle0600

Then again, your machine god is a C'Tan, if I remember correctly.

*Dives for cover*

llearch n'n'daCorna

No, I believe you're thinking of someone else. I'm atheist.

Or possibly agnostic, but only very infrequently. Or when I look at my wife, naked, and think "There must be a god!" ...

Lego3400

Patches aren't always in the form of a "Patch" Azlan has one in the form of a strip of cloth he uses as a bandanda. Dan had one that was in the form of a bracer.

Ghostwish

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on November 12, 2008, 06:15:44 AM
Or when I look at my wife, naked, and think "There must be a god!" ...

Pics!

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Ghostwish on November 12, 2008, 08:35:54 PM
Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on November 12, 2008, 06:15:44 AM
Or when I look at my wife, naked, and think "There must be a god!" ...
Pics!

Oh, yes, I have. And you don't. And won't.

nyahnyahnyah!

;-]

Ghostwish

e_voyager

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on November 12, 2008, 03:05:02 AM

IIRC, he started to lose the plot about midway through, and ended up just barfing random junk onto the page and hoping it would sell, based purely on his name on the cover.

Mind you, that's my explanation for the Xanth series degradation, as well, so...

yes unicorn point was most disappointing. and i stopped reading xanth books a little after yon ill wind. but i was thing of the robot adept bane i i think his name was or maybe mok. i forget it's been a while mind you.
I thank Silver Fox and Tiger_T for the wonderful Yappies.  all around the universe powers learned to hiss and curse at this, my creation but am i real or pure creation?
 this world is not my own. but some how i wish that i could belong. Blame It On Boxey

Naldru

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on November 12, 2008, 03:05:02 AM
Quote from: e_voyager on November 11, 2008, 09:14:04 PM

I believe that those are excellent examples of "Jumping the Shark".  (It has its own TV Tropes section.)    Although the term was originally coined for television shows, the same concept seems to apply to many book series as well.

However, my personal opinion is that Rowlings and Pratchett have never, and will never, jump the shark.  (I also feel that Baum never jumped the shark, although I don't know if I can say the same about later authors of the Oz series.)
Learn to laugh at yourself, and you will never be without a source of amusement.

llearch n'n'daCorna

Rowlings...

... not jumped the shark?

Er...

Are you reading the same books I've been reading?

Naldru

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on November 15, 2008, 02:24:37 PM
Rowlings...

... not jumped the shark?

Er...

Are you reading the same books I've been reading?
When you can get pre-teens to read a six to eight hundred page book without wanting to take breaks, I'd say that you are still entertaining the readers.  On the other hand, I think she has brought the series to a point where she can't add additional books without jumping the shark.  I will admit that the tone has changed considerably and become much darker.

Will you agree about Pratchett, though?
Learn to laugh at yourself, and you will never be without a source of amusement.

llearch n'n'daCorna

... being able to get the teens to read the book is one thing. You don't necessarily get to avoid jumping the shark at the same time.

Many pre-teens have no taste. This is not surprising, since many adults have no taste, either.

As for Pratchett, he hasn't, in my opinion, jumped the shark yet. I'd be disappointed if he did, but the possibility remains that he will.

After all, he's got Altzheimers, you know...

e_voyager

time oh of the few concepts that now one may out run. not even a voyager

GabrielsThoughts

I never really put much thought into Jyrras patches, but they obviously wear off. Maybe they don't wear off and just dissolve when the magic is used up, but that wouldn't really explain how easily the cubi patch fell off Jy at SAIA. f the patches were a medically feasible Perhaps the paper is coated in nanites that rewrite DNA on a genetic level Since all  Humans have 99.9% of the same genes (not to be confused with DNA) and since there are a number of species that can Halfbreed one could assume that the genes for the demon, angel, mythos, etc. are all probably shared by most of the beings in Furrae

If the patches were purely Magic paper, and the appearance was a simple illusion why then dose the paper still exist if separated from the host?

either way I'm thinking the paper has an undisclosed  time limit.
   clickity click click click. Quote in personal text is from Walter Bishop of Fringe.

e_voyager

Jy's patch became a jacket when he went cubi. when he fainted and fell out of the jacket that able was still holding then the patch reverted to normal.

Jairus

Well, I've always felt that since the patches are a combo of magic and science, they're basically a computer chip-controlled/programmed shapeshifting spell which allows for superior control over the spell. Or it could just be that he's somehow "captured" a spell through his understanding of technology and science. I mean, that's how SCINs work in my setting which basically achieve the same result, but Amber's Patches may be a lot different for all I know. Sorry if it's a bit tangental.

And the thing I've heard about the darkening tone of the Harry Potter books is that each book is meant to be read by kid's of HARRY's age in the books. The first one may be written for eleven year olds, but the seventh one is written for an eighteen-year old. At least, that's what I've heard.

As for Pratchet jumping the shark... I'd be sad, but the fact that the man has written so much means that I'd forgive him somewhat. That could just be the Pratchet fanboy in me.
Erupting Burning Sekiha Hell and Heaven Tenkyoken Tatsumaki Zankantō!!
NEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRDS! - Amber Williams
"And again I say unto you: bite me." - Harry Dresden
You'll catch crap no matter what sort of net you throw out - Me