10/24/08 [Abel 2 #33] - Kill Yourself?

Started by Lego3400, October 24, 2008, 12:57:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jairus

Quote from: Keaton the Black Jackal on October 24, 2008, 10:55:26 AM
Quote from: Amber Williams on October 24, 2008, 01:03:09 AM
I was so tempted to edit the last panel to the lyric of Fresh Prince.  But then I realized I would be struck by lightning for it.  So I didnt.

CONSIDER YOURSELVES LUCKY.

Encyclopedia Dramatica would've loved you for it, though.

I'm not sure if that was something you would have been proud of :c

Now I want to write a parody, but I can't get the rhyming right.

Cubi Prince of SAIA

Now this is a story all about how my life got flip-turned upside down!
And I'd like to take a minute, just give an idea,
I'll tell you how I become the prince of a school called SAIA!

Now I wanna write it.
Erupting Burning Sekiha Hell and Heaven Tenkyoken Tatsumaki Zankantō!!
NEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRDS! - Amber Williams
"And again I say unto you: bite me." - Harry Dresden
You'll catch crap no matter what sort of net you throw out - Me

Lego3400

Unless amber is using normal speach bubbles for them, then we've ruled out all Warp-aci  (Fi was already ruled out as she has a different one at this time.) and Ink. Though if it is a Warp Aci it might explain why he''s such good friends with them now.  :U

Tapewolf

Quote from: Lego3400 on October 24, 2008, 11:31:35 AM
Though if it is a Warp Aci it might explain why he''s such good friends with them now.  :U
All the warp-aci's we've seen in this arc have had the coloured speech bubbles, so I'd be very surprised indeed.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Lowde

Quote from: Minishear on October 24, 2008, 08:19:22 AM
The question on my mind is "How long will the owner of the voice last?" Because if it's a roommate that hasn't been brought up yet, then his/her numbers might not be high enough to last. (He/she might die)

I understand you mean that if a new character is introduced that isn't in DMFA comic, then it probably means he/she died in the 300 or so years between...

Anyway, I think it's probably someone we already know... Maybe Aary was his first roommate

icarus

kellyn: it's like being a secret agent, outside we look perfectly normal. no giant metal faces or tattooed eyes or mohawks. BUT. SECRETLY. DRAWING RAINBOW MONSTERS AND ROOOOLE PLAAAAAYING oh the shame oh the humanity, and man i know so many more cool people now wtf is that

Naldru

My gut feeling is that it is Destania.  It sounds like a drill sergeant.  ("Are you going to kill yourself.  If not, you might as well get up and do something.")  It is a cold thing to say, and Abel stated that Destania was so cold that he was surprised that Dan didn't get frostbite while being born.
Learn to laugh at yourself, and you will never be without a source of amusement.

Mao

It's not necessarily something cold to say.  It could be followed up with something sympathetic, like this:  "Are you going to kill yourself?  I know you're in a lot of pain right now and that it seems like the answer, but it's not."

Going this route, it breeds a bit of trust because you don't come off as commanding or harsh.  It makes it easier to build a rapport with them which will then allow you to steer them away from the idea.  Though some folks don't respond to that and better respond to the drill sergeant approach.  Just saying it could be either.

Noone

Quote from: Naldru on October 24, 2008, 12:49:38 PM
My gut feeling is that it is Destania.  It sounds like a drill sergeant.  ("Are you going to kill yourself.  If not, you might as well get up and do something.")  It is a cold thing to say, and Abel stated that Destania was so cold that he was surprised that Dan didn't get frostbite while being born.
That of course, leaves the problem as to why Destania would approach Abel, as they have had no prior contact. I don't see how Destania could possibly gain from approaching Abel, and Abel has not been at SAIA very long leaving the problem of how she would have found out and again, why she would care. I'm sure she would have more pressing matters than to bother Abel, preparing lectures, grading exams... etc, typical professor duties.

Alterationartist

Round 9!

Tapewolf

Ghostwish

Tapewolf

Howl

I wanna know who it is! I hope it's a female roommate, that'd be interesting.

If that's the case, I'd bet money she winds up dead if I had any to bet.

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Minishear on October 24, 2008, 02:52:54 PM

You're stuck on this dead thing, aren't you, Minishear.

Do you suppose you could give it a rest? Just for the rest of us?
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

superluser

Quote from: Naldru on October 24, 2008, 12:49:38 PMMy gut feeling is that it is Destania.  It sounds like a drill sergeant.

In that case, it doesn't sound nearly frosty enough.

Would you like a googolplex (gzipped 57 times)?

Howl

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on October 24, 2008, 03:24:20 PM

I'm sorry I'm repeating myself, it's a habit or something.

PencilinHand

Could it be Fa'lina?

If I were Fa'lina, I would not force Able to have a room mate, nor hand off dealing with him to someone else, yet.

We don't know how much time has passed between Able 2 #32 and #33.

The last person he was talking to was Fa'lina and they were talking about what he wanted to do.  Now we see a text bubble asking him if he is going to do something(drastic) so I think it is reasonable that it could be Fa'lina.

Granted, if it is her, she isn't being very tactful, but she could be gauging his reaction(like when she mentioned "home").

Otherwise, if it is someone completely new, I wouldn't be entirely surprised if they didn't live long enough(natural reasons or otherwise...) to make it into the current time line of the comic.  If I was a betting man I would probably take 5 to 1 odds that they die, but that is just me remembering that Amber doesn't like "killing" her characters though she isn't afraid to if she feels it is "their time."

Tapewolf

Quote from: PencilinHand on October 24, 2008, 05:49:01 PM
Otherwise, if it is someone completely new, I wouldn't be entirely surprised if they didn't live long enough(natural reasons or otherwise...) to make it into the current time line of the comic.

I'm not sure I get this whole kill-the-roommate thing.  SAIA is supposed to something of a safe haven.  There are hundreds of 'Cubi in the Academy, a great many of whom will have graduated and therefore left the Academy by the time Dan gets a look-in.  There's nothing sinister about that - after all, if every student who graduated turned up at Lost Lake, the place would have more 'Cubi in it than SAIA - which is supposedly the largest single concentration of members of the race.

If Abel is assigned a roommate and things don't go well, the chances are that they will either be reassigned, finish studying or be driven away by Abel (as with Altres/Jouster).  The chances of them dying are fairly remote IMHO.

Ghostwish

Quote from: Tapewolf on October 24, 2008, 05:57:19 PM
I like toast.

I'm with TW on this one, I don't think murder is allowed inside of the academy under any circumstances. I mean, come on, can you imagine how many rival clans must attend the academy together? It'd be a freaking slaughterhouse unless Fa'Lina ran it with an iron paw.

PencilinHand

Quote from: Tapewolf on October 24, 2008, 05:57:19 PM
I'm not sure I get this whole kill-the-roommate thing.  SAIA is supposed to something of a safe haven.  There are hundreds of 'Cubi in the Academy, a great many of whom will have graduated and therefore left the Academy by the time Dan gets a look-in.  There's nothing sinister about that - after all, if every student who graduated turned up at Lost Lake, the place would have more 'Cubi in it than SAIA - which is supposedly the largest single concentration of members of the race.

If Abel is assigned a roommate and things don't go well, the chances are that they will either be reassigned, finish studying or be driven away by Abel (as with Altres/Jouster).  The chances of them dying are fairly remote IMHO.

Quote from: Ghostwish on October 24, 2008, 06:30:04 PM
I'm with TW on this one, I don't think murder is allowed inside of the academy under any circumstances. I mean, come on, can you imagine how many rival clans must attend the academy together? It'd be a freaking slaughterhouse unless Fa'Lina ran it with an iron paw.

I am sorry if I wasn't clear(or maybe I am misunderstanding you).

There are very many ways to die.  Many of them nonbelligerent, otherwise natural, or even peaceful.

Even if murder were to be the cause, there are many other characters than Able who could do it.

So I am not saying Able, or even another student at SAIA, would be the murderer if murder were the cause of death.

What I said, was that I thought it was at least somewhat likely that a new character introduced would not make it into the comic because they had died for some reason.

"5 to 1 odds that they die," means(or I intended it to mean) that I would bet $1 that a new character would not live into the current comic time line for the prospect of wining $5 regardless of mode/method of death(of old age, a tragic accident, murder, slipped on a banana peel...).

I hope I have clarified my position now.

Tapewolf

Quote from: PencilinHand on October 24, 2008, 07:02:08 PM
What I said, was that I thought it was at least somewhat likely that a new character introduced would not make it into the comic because they had died for some reason.

"5 to 1 odds that they die," means(or I intended it to mean) that I would bet $1 that a new character would not live into the current comic time line for the prospect of wining $5 regardless of mode/method of death(of old age, a tragic accident, murder, slipped on a banana peel...).

I think your odds are a little short, to be honest.  The Academy has been around for 7000 years or so.  'Cubi send their young there to keep them safe.  If the place had a dangerously poor health and safety record, I highly doubt it would have the prestige it seems to enjoy.
Yes, an accident is possible.  Yes, if it did happen, especially so soon after Abel's own tragedies it would probably push him over the edge.

However, I still say it would be a freak occurrence with odds closer to 500-1 or more.

Turnsky

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on October 24, 2008, 03:24:20 PM

Minishear must be from the Ishimura, the dead don't stay still for long there.  >:3

Dragons, it's what's for dinner... with gravy and potatoes, YUM!
Sparta? no, you should've taken that right at albuquerque..

Corgatha Taldorthar

I think that the most likely candidate is whatshisname in the lab coat. The Cubi with blond fur here.

Remember, Abel isn't in a room, he's in an emotional quarentine. I don't think his location there would become super general knowledge, at least quite not so fast. (Maybe some 'Cubi saw him on his way there, explaining the volunteer roommates.) Blondie knows he's there , and for whatever reason, has already expressed some hostile intent. Means, motive, (albiet one I don't quite understand) and opportunity all there.
Someday, when we look back on this, we'll both laugh nervously and change the subject. More is good. All is better.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Corgatha Taldorthar on October 24, 2008, 07:55:26 PM
I think that the most likely candidate is whatshisname in the lab coat. The Cubi with blond fur here.
Dr. Ink always has a shadow on his speech bubble.  There isn't one on this person's speech, so it's probably not him.

EDIT:
I don't think it's Fa'Lina either.  "Gonna" doesn't seem to be part of her normal vocabulary.

superluser

Quote from: Tapewolf on October 24, 2008, 05:57:19 PMI'm not sure I get this whole kill-the-roommate thing.  SAIA is supposed to something of a safe haven.

In defense, I suspect they're thinking of more of a Vash the Stampede thing.

Though I don't really get that, either.

Quote from: PencilinHand on October 24, 2008, 05:49:01 PMGranted, if it is her, she isn't being very tactful, but she could be gauging his reaction(like when she mentioned "home").

That would seem to be the sort of thing she'd get Ink to do, if for no other reason than the fact that good cop/bad cop actually works.

Aleolus

Quote from: Amber Williams on October 24, 2008, 01:03:09 AM
I was so tempted to edit the last panel to the lyric of Fresh Prince.  But then I realized I would be struck by lightning for it.  So I didnt.

CONSIDER YOURSELVES LUCKY.

What would have been so wrong with editing the Fresh Prince lyrics?  After all, how many people would recognize them?  >.>

Jer-oh-me

I'm pretty sure that's Ink messing with him. I assume this mostly on prior behavior, however I'm given to wonder if it is Ink as Abel's first roomie. I'm unsure if this is either impossible or just unlikely, I'm gonna go back and see.

superluser

Quote from: Jer-oh-me on October 25, 2008, 03:08:03 AMI'm given to wonder if it is Ink as Abel's first roomie.

I've never heard of an academic institution where the staff and students share rooms.

Jer-oh-me

I couldn't remember if Ink was established as staff at this point in canon or not, it seemed to me possible that he would have at one point been a student at SAIA. I did say I'd look back to make sure the theory was possible.

Grammar fix.

superluser

Quote from: Jer-oh-me on October 25, 2008, 05:32:11 AM
I couldn't remember if Ink was established as staff at this point in canon or not, it seemed to me possible that he would have at one point been a student at SAIA. I did say I'd look back to make sure the theory was possible.

Ink claims to be slightly younger than Fa'Lina.  This would probably make him older than Destania, who is a faculty member at this point.