Started by Jairus, July 20, 2008, 04:25:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ren Gaulen

Jairus

Quote from: Ren Gaulen on November 30, 2008, 05:22:46 PM
Quote from: Jairus on November 30, 2008, 05:19:14 PM
*Icon of Spin*
Charles Spin Britannia: "SPINS... ARE NOT EQUAL!!!"
I'd also like to thank Ren-niisan for acting as one of my two test subjects for these puns... and also stopping me from posting some truly bad ones.  :hug
Erupting Burning Sekiha Hell and Heaven Tenkyoken Tatsumaki Zankantō!!
NEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRDS! - Amber Williams
"And again I say unto you: bite me." - Harry Dresden
You'll catch crap no matter what sort of net you throw out - Me

llearch n'n'daCorna

He got you to spin around?

There's a turn up for the books.
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

WhiteFox

This is my pencil. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My pencil is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life...

llearch n'n'daCorna

WhiteFox

I could at least get the cover by Dope, instead of the original, stuck in my head.

Or at least the version in DDR:HP that I played a thousand times.

But at least it's not the cover by Jessica Simpson or Denzel. Or the '96 version by DOA.

Don't you look at me like that.
This is my pencil. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My pencil is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life...

Jairus

You're not the first people to think of that song in regards to Spinzaku.

Anyway, just a quick thing for the Terra 'verse: an invention of the technomancer Nicodemus Cidney, called the HMR/SPC system. I'll try to keep this interesting and not boring. I'll fail, but at least it'll be an interesting failure.

Hyperspatial Mass Reclaimer system
The HMR is a high-level magitech hyperdimensional storage system that works by surrounding a scanned item in a bubble-like pocket universe, one for each scanned item. Power is only required when creating the initial pocket: storing and reclaiming the item takes no energy. While there seems to be no upper limit on the size of object that can be stored, larger objects require significantly larger amounts of power. Likewise, there is no real limit on the amount of objects that can be stored by the device, but items can only be stored and retrieved one at a time. Destroying the HMR device initiates a "purge" program that immediately recalls all stored objects, which is one reason why Nick is cautious about storing too much in them. If an HMR runs out of power, it renders the pockets inaccessible until it is recharged. Current model HMRs are small enough to be belt-mounted, but Nick's primary HMR is installed in his custom Helper-series Autonomous Robotic Operation (HARO) named "Gainer."

Superlative Parallel Component system
A subtype of the HMR system, the HMR-SPC system - referred to as "Spec" - works by creating dozens - if not hundreds - of mini-pockets for the components of specially constructed devices. Though stored in a disassembled state, activating the system allows for parallel and interlinked pieces of the device to be brought in line as more and more of the weapon is completed until it is fully "assembled." Devices built using this system have a tendency of looking like they telescope or expand into existence. While the device in question may require power to operate, any SPC-type device requires no power to either summon or store: only during the construction of the SPC system is power required. The SPC system is similar to other magitech storage systems that have been developed, but it represents more of a parallel technological evolution. The primary disadvantage of the SPC system is that it needs to be integrated into whatever device that shall be using it from the start: a device cannot be modified to accept it. Compared to the normal HMR, it is significantly less flexible. However, with proper planning, the applications for it are nearly endless, especially in regards to weapon tech...

... hm, I think that that's a lot less clear than I wanted it to be. Just ask for clarification, and I'll be glad to provide it.

Hm, a new Haiku.
How long has it been since I
Wrote one? Far too long.

I'm going to bed. Good night all!

Ren Gaulen

Jairus

Quote from: Ren Gaulen on December 07, 2008, 08:07:54 AM
That's quite interesting and not confusing. However, since you have explained this thing to me before, it may just be more understandable for me. I hope it's not the case, though.
True. And you helped me design it. So you don't really count, big bro. Sorry. That's why I left that bit at the end about asking for clarification.

Quote from: Ren Gaulen on December 07, 2008, 08:07:54 AM
Quote from: Jairus on December 07, 2008, 03:11:05 AM
You're not the first people to think of that song in regards to Spinzaku.
Have you forgotten, Spinzaku? Spins.. ARE NOT EQUAL!!
That's not Spinlouch, that's Sayokopter (search for "Code Geass.")

WhiteFox

I didn't have any trouble understanding it. The first sentence in each paragraph gives a very clear definition of what the technology is and what it does; with that, the explanation is pretty easy to follow.

Jairus

Quote from: Fox NaBan on December 07, 2008, 07:47:42 PM
I didn't have any trouble understanding it. The first sentence in each paragraph gives a very clear definition of what the technology is and what it does; with that, the explanation is pretty easy to follow.

Oh good. Let's see if I can keep it up.

Well, here's some more stuff, from the same universe, incidentally. For the record, Justinian was a young technomancer who eventually became the first emperor of the New Augustan Empire on the world of Terra. He lived and died eight centuries before the current story events. In short, he's a historical figure to the characters, and they all know this info here. Well, most of it. Anyway, here's some stuff. Yay. The stuff on Augustus and Tiberius is still a bit iffy, but I like what I've got so far. Clockpunk robots for the win.

Mobile Armor
A general term for a special type of robotic construct, Mobile Armors are combat machines originally developed by Lord Justinian for the Augustan over eight hundred years ago: to this day, the Augustan Empire retains a lead in development and design. They are fundamentally clockwork robots, though in the modern day many more designs have shifted to pneumatics and the like. The original Mobile Armors had a number of traits that have carried through the years, such as a humanoid design, the Rotagito mobility system, the Logi brains, the Spiral Balance core, and the Observer sensor system: all modern MAs include some version of all of these weapons, and in fact there are no known MAs that do not use Justinian's Logi. Most countries have their own versions and design elements. There is also something referred to as a Mobile Suit, a powered-armor version of Mobile Armors: while they use many of the same pieces of technology and are considered sibling weapons, they are typically designed and implemented seperately. In addition, two further units were designed before Justinian's death: the Fortress Armor (a large non-humanoid Logos controlled machine that could mount specialized weapons) and the Fortress Suit, a large humanoid machine controlled from a cockpit in the back hump.

Logos
An advanced magitech clockwork brain originally developed by Justinian. Developed to drive his Mobile Armors, Logi are capable of human-level thinking, capable of planning and strategizing under combat conditions, far superior to any other contemporary units, and comparable to modern day AIs. Logi could even "learn" from past experiences, meaning that older Logi units were far more dangerous and skilled than newer ones. One of the problems of the unit is that Justinian was unable to miniaturize the mechanisms to the size he wanted, leading to the Logos unit being mounted in a backpack-like "hump" on the Mobile Armor's back, defining the look of Mobile Armors for centuries to come. Justinian made the most of this "bug" by incorporating the valuable brain and power core into a single unit extending through the MA that could be ejected by rocket servos in an emergency, thus saving the valuable combat data inside of it. Older Logi - especially well-maintained ones that have existed for centuries, seem to have acquired personalities of a sort from their extensive experiences, though it is worth noting that very few Mobile Armors were actually self-aware. Logi brains are still used to this day: every Mobile Armor uses one, if only out of tradition. It is a mark of Justinian's genius that such an advanced machine was capable of mass-production, even by the standards of his time. Surprisingly, since Justinian's death there has been no improvement in Logi brain technology, outside of the casing it is mounted in.

Spiral Balance Core
Another of Justinian's inventions, the Spiral Balance Core stores energy within a spiral-shaped cog-like mechanism. In essence an early mass-produced battery or capacitor, the Spiral Core was designed to power Mobile Armors, though larger versions also power other vehicles. Though originally designed to be recharged at a base, later versions vould be also recharged in the field. One of the advantages of using the Spiral Core was that it was largely immune to all but the most powerful magic, creating a sort of "magical grounding" effect. One problem of the system is that it is too bulky to be used in most Mobile Suits, forcing them to rely on alternate forms of power. While moderm MAs use varied power sources, the Spiral Core is still the primary source of power, especially in Augusta.

Rotagito
Developed as a mobility system for the otherwise somewhat slow MAs, the Rotagito system consisted of several small powerful wheels and treads installed in the feet of a MA. Another of Justinian's innovations, Rotagito allowed an MA - on a sufficiently flat surface - to reach speeds exceeding 35 miles an hour using the technology of the time. Issues in balance led to Justinian adding a folding strut mounted on the legs with two additional wheels, which not only improved overall balance but also allowed for an increase in speed: the struts also mounted two small rocket boosters for assisted jumps. Though the design of the various Rotagito systems varies between designers, it is considered a key element of MA design, if only for tradition's sake.

Observer system
The final development that allowed for the perfection of Mobile Armors, the observer system combined several experimental sensor systems into one head-mounted unit to allow the units to perceive the world around them. Another of Justinian's designs, the Observer system not only had visual but a primitive radar scanner hidden behind the main sensors: the primary sensor would rotate to reveal the secondary set. There were also a handful of largely experimental and still somewhat primitive sensors included in the design. Modern Observer systems are much more streamlined, but still harken back to this design.

Augustus
General and Technical Data
Name: Augustus
Unit type: limited mass-production proof of concept mobile armor
Manufacturer: Augustan Empire
Operator: Augustan Empire
Rollout: unknown, approximately 950 Old Imperial Calendar
First deployment: unknown
Armor materials: iron, steel, bronze
Powerplant: Spiral Balance Core, mounted in torso
Propulsion: Rotagito land mobility system, mounted in legs
Equipment and design features: "Logos" computer core, mounted in backpack; ejector system containing power core and Logos core; Observer multi-camera, mounted in head; 2 x rocket anchor, mounted in chest
Fixed armaments: 2 x Iovia electric driver, mounted on forearms
Optional fixed armaments: none
Handheld armaments: 1 x semi-automatic gun, mounted on backpack, handheld in use; 1 x heavy sword, handheld in use
Technical and Historical Notes
Based on numerous failed prototypes, Augustus was the first true Mobile Armor. Augustus incorporated several key pieces of technology from the prior units, including the Logi brain, Rotagito mobility system, Observer system, and the Spiral Balance Core. It also mounted a handful of weapons, including a pair of rocket-propelled anchors designed to drastically improve the unit's mobility, as well as a pair of electrified "tongs" mounted on the forearms as a close-quarters combat weapon. The unit could also wield a semi-automatic gun that incorporated a reloading mechanism and a magazine to allow for a faster rate of fire compared to other technomantic weapons. The unit had a number of problems, most noticeably a balance issue caused by the large backpack. Despite its performance and weapons load-out, however, Augustus was never intended as a combat unit. Instead, it was a proof-of-concept only, demonstrating the feasability of Justinian's design and its mass-production capability. The first true mass-production Mobile Armor would be the Tiberius.

Tiberius
General and Technical Data
Name: Tiberius
Unit type: mass-production mobile armor
Manufacturer: Augustan Empire
Operator: Augustan Empire
Rollout: unknown, approximately 950 Old Imperial Calendar
First deployment: unknown
Armor materials: iron, steel, bronze
Powerplant: Spiral Balance Core, mounted in torso
Propulsion: Rotagito II land mobility system, mounted in legs
Equipment and design features: "Logos" computer core, mounted in backpack; ejector system containing power core and Logos core; Observer multi-camera, mounted in head
Fixed armaments: 2 x rocket anchor, mounted in chest; 2 x Iovia electric driver, mounted on forearms; 2 x Spatha electrified folding blade, mounted on forearms; 4 x fragmentation grenade, stored in compartment in hip armor
Optional fixed armaments: 1 x heavy sword, mounted on backpack, handheld in use; 1 x cannon, mounted on backpack
Handheld armaments: 1 x semi-automatic rifle w/ 1-shot grenade launcher, mounted on backpack, handheld in use
Technical and Historical Notes
Augustus' successor, Tiberius improved on its predecessor in numerous ways, mostly because the unit was actually intended to be used in battle. These upgrades included an improved Spiral Core, superior ejector mechanism, and redesigned armor to make the unit slightly lighter and less bulky. In terms of weapons, Justinian added a pair of folding arm blades that could be electrified, as well as a set of fragmentation grenades and an optional long-range bombardment cannon. He also gave the unit a substantially improved handgun with a faster rate of fire and a larger magazine. The Rotagito system was also upgraded to include the now-iconic exterior balance strut, as well as the first use of a rocket boost to make improved jumps. The rocket anchors were also slightly redesigned, given that a handful of tests had shown that they could also make effective weapons in battle in addition to helping improve mobility. The first deployment of Tiberius units into combat proved their effectiveness against Being opponents, and started Justinian down the road to eventually becoming Emperor. Though the Tiberius units would eventually be retired and replaced by more advanced units, their iconic design can still be seen somewhat in modern Augustan mobile armors.

... okay, I'm going to bed. Good night. Questions, comments, clarifications?

Jairus

Okay, in yet another attempt to revive my ailing thread, I'm gonna combine tech from two different universes to discuss the three types of energy weapons that show up in my stories. As a bit of trivia, blasters and lasers come from an old story of mine involving psychics who used nanotechnological enhancements that basically made them into cyber Jedi. Yeah, weird, I know. Anyway, blasters show up in one of my current stories under the same mechanics, so I guess laser weapons still apply as well. And beam weapons are important.

Note 1: outright magical weapons don't count, though some of these have magitech equivalents.
Note 2: all of these weapons are sublight weapons.

EDIT: Added stun weapons and EMP guns.

Beam weapons are any weapon that uses an exotic particle to create a specialized plasma that can be controlled and shaped. In addition to normal shots, bladed weapons or shields can be created: the only limit on the variety of shapes to beam weaponry is the imagination of the builder and the technology necessary to shape the beam, though more complicated shapes are of course more difficult to create. The exotic particles in question are classified as M-Class particles: any M-class particle can be used. Though beam weapons are a form of plasma, they tend to be rather "cool" compared to normal plasma weapons. Beam weapons can be nearly any size, from human-scaled blasters to battleship-class cannons. Beam weapons do not, to my knowledge, have a stun setting, and are only capable of causing damage.

Blaster weapons are essentially plasma weapons that use normal gas or particles to create their beam. Unlike beam weapons, plasma weapons cannot be shaped: you will never encounter a genuine plasma sword or plasma shield (plasma cutters do not count: they are essentially a sustained blast rather than a circulating beam). They can only be used to form a bolt of energy, and hence are referred to as blasters. Blaster weapons tend be slightly less accurate as beam weapons, due in part to the plasma's inherent instability and the design of the collimating field that maintains the blaster bolt over distances: this also impacts the weapon's range. They are also not very efficient in larger sizes: blasters very rarely do not get above the size of a launcher or cannon. This is also because the range of a blaster weapon is rarely over a handful of kilometers. Blasters are more commonly seen as personal weapons.

Laser weapons are a bit of a misnomer: they do not use lasers as an actual attack. Rather, laser weapons are a subtype of blaster weapons that use a specialized laser to create an ionized pathway for a specially calibrated blaster bolt to follow. The laser improves the range, collimation, and speed of the blaster bolt: it is important to note that while the laser moves at lightspeed (and is invisible), the bolt is still sublight (and visible). In terms of range, some laser weapons have ranges meausred in thousands of kilometers. These units are somewhat more bulky and power intensive than normal blaster weapons: while laser rifles are not uncommon, weapons much smaller are a great deal rarer. Lasers tend to be vehicle- or installation-based weapons.

Stun weapons are a subset of blaster weapons that use the plasma bolt to deliver an electrical shock to a target. The shock is capable of temporarily disrupting biological organisms, and based on the charge can disrupt a target for varying lengths of time. Stun weapons must hit the target in or near the center of their body mass to have a chance at disrupting the whole body: a shot to the arm will only stun the arm. Due to the differences in biology between various organisms, the weapons have to be slightly recalibrated for each target, and on some organisms stun weapons can actually kill if the user is not careful. While stun weapons have range comparable to normal blasters, they lose their effectiveness over range faster. However, they tend not to use energy as quickly as a blaster, and thus have more shots available to them. Small stun blasters are common personal defense weapons, and are rarely subjected to the same stringent regulations as blasters, though there are still laws governing their use. Stun weapons are far more common as handheld weapons: while vehicle-mounted stun weapons exist, extremely large ones do not exist. Many blasters also have a stun setting.

EMP weapons use a reconfigured bolt of blaster plasma to deliver an extremely powerful burst of electrical energy that can damage or shut down electronics. They are actually a subset of laser-type blasters, in that they use the collimating laser to form a path for the EMP bolt to flow down. Due to the nature of the plasma used, it can only cause mild burns on biological lifeforms: all of the destructive energy of the shot is lost in making the EMP bolt. Compared to their laser weapon cousins, EMP weapons have a slightly decreased range. Like laser weapons, their power demands are higher than blasters, and pistol- or carbine-sized EMP weapons are extremely rare: most of them are rifle or bazooka sized. Ship- and installation-based mounts are more common, since they make an excellent anti-ship weapon. EMP weapons also tend to be highly effective in bringing shields down, since the pulse of energy has a chance of temporarily overloading shields. It is possible to harden electronics to the point that EMP weapons become a minor inconvenience rather than a crippling weakness.

As a side note, there are actual laser weapons. This are inefficient, bulky, low-powered, and not much use beyond being used as a cutting weapon. There are a few weaponized lasers, but when people refer to laser weapons in my setting, they are referring to the hybrid laser/blaster weapon. Hm... "Blaser?"

Questions? Comments? Clarifications?

PS: Anyone who figures out what thing in a TV show M-Class is a reference to gets a cookie. Here's a hint: it has nothing to do with Star Trek.

WhiteFox

M-Class planets were planets that were relatively hospitable. I forget what the M actually meant.  Moderate, perhaps

Of course, they always had environmental hazards that would reduce red shirts to ash if you looked crosswise at them, so I'm not sure how reliable the classification is.

Unless the M is for Minovsky particles, for making beam sabers and shields. But that's Gundam.

As for comments... well, I'm still wondering why all these notes, descriptions, and spec's are necessary. Most of them seem like minutiae to me.

Jairus

Quote from: WhiteFox on January 16, 2009, 06:03:17 PM
M-Class planets were planets that were relatively hospitable. I forget what the M actually meant.  Moderate, perhaps

Of course, they always had environmental hazards that would reduce red shirts to ash if you looked crosswise at them, so I'm not sure how reliable the classification is.

Unless the M is for Minovsky particles, for making beam sabers and shields. But that's Gundam.
Minovksy is correct! *hands WhiteFox his cookie* I did note that it was NOT a reference to Star Trek. I mean, I'm betting people will think that the ship Second Star is a reference to Peter Pan, when it's actually a reference to the first "Star," another ship with the word Star in its name. Yes, M-class particles are named in honor of Doctor Minovksy.

For those who don't know, in the UC Gundam continuity, Minovksy invented an ultra-compact nuclear fusion reactor that as a byproduct created something called Minovsky particles: in addition to being useful for beam weaponry and flight systems and actually running the reactor, Minovsky particles jammed radar and communications, which is what allowed for the development of 20 meter tall giant robots as a viable weapon of war: Minovksy particles rendered radar and missile locking systems useless. Only ballistic missiles exist in the UC setting for precisely that reason.

Quote from: WhiteFox on January 16, 2009, 06:03:17 PM
As for comments... well, I'm still wondering why all these notes, descriptions, and spec's are necessary. Most of them seem like minutiae to me.
Because in the process of world-building, I like to come up with these details. Details that might never be mentioned, but help me flesh out the world.

Besides, I'd better have something to show for all of the world-building I've been doing.

And yes, I know, I should actually write something. Boohoo.

llearch n'n'daCorna

... Yeah. I'm just not gonna comment about laser-guided missiles at all.

*cough*

Jairus

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on January 16, 2009, 06:52:27 PM

*cough*
... look, it's been years since I watched anything UC-related. As it is, I don't think they use those either.

WhiteFox

Quote from: Jairus on January 16, 2009, 06:41:50 PM
I did note that it was NOT a reference to Star Trek.

Oop. Misread that, thought you said it *was*

I wish I were a Gundam fan, but I never got to see most of the series'. Well, I watched a burned copy of about 3/4 of Gundam Wing, but that's about it.

(Begin huge story)
Only reason I knew about Minovsky particles is because i was doing some world building of my own. I was running a GURPS space campaign, and my brother was playing a prospector. Every time he warped into a new system, I'd generate a whole solar system with percentile rolls and look up tables. It was pretty cool, actually. If a stellar body rolled rediculously high, I'd roll for "Exotic materials". Minovsky particles were on the list, as well as Phazon, Unobtanium, Imperium (which was only found in crystal form. Bonus points if you get that reference), and a bunch of other goofy stuff. Kryptonite was on the "Rare" list since that's a real element.

Ironically, the best find they came across was Argon. Which was fuel for Ion drives. Which would have been worth pennies a kilogram (and a kilogram of gas is a lot of gas), except that they found an entire gas giant of the stuff. They sold the rights to the planet for... well, a lot.
(End huge story)

Azlan

Quote from: WhiteFox link=topic=4811.msg256619#msg256619

Ironically, the best find they came across was Argon. Which was fuel for Ion drives. Which would have been worth pennies a kilogram (and a kilogram of gas is a lot of gas), except that they found an entire gas giant of the stuff. They sold the rights to the planet for... well, a lot.

Wow... with a molecular weight of 39.948 and a relative density of 1.654 kg/m3... that's... well... whew...
"Ha ha! The fun has been doubled!"

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Jairus on January 16, 2009, 06:58:48 PM
Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on January 16, 2009, 06:52:27 PM

*cough*
... look, it's been years since I watched anything UC-related. As it is, I don't think they use those either.

I wasn't criticising you, mind. Although it may have, mistakenly, come across that way.

Jack McSlay

Quote from: Jairus on January 16, 2009, 03:49:07 PM
Okay, in yet another attempt to revive my ailing thread, I'm gonna combine tech from two different universes to discuss the three types of energy weapons that show up in my stories. As a bit of trivia, blasters and lasers come from an old story of mine involving psychics who used nanotechnological enhancements that basically made them into cyber Jedi. Yeah, weird, I know. Anyway, blasters show up in one of my current stories under the same mechanics, so I guess laser weapons still apply as well. And beam weapons are important.

Note 1: outright magical weapons don't count, though some of these have magitech equivalents.
Note 2: all of these weapons are sublight weapons.

Beam weapons
Blaster weapons
Laser weapons
I'm curious to how EMPs and tesla coils would be classified (I thought of gauss cannons and railguns, but I dunno if you're considering those energy weapons)
Keyboard not detected. Press F1 to resume.

Jairus

Quote from: Jack McSlay on January 16, 2009, 09:54:32 PM
I'm curious to how EMPs and tesla coils would be classified (I thought of gauss cannons and railguns, but I dunno if you're considering those energy weapons)
Well, gauss guns and rail guns are not energy weapons: they fire a solid slug, and thus are shell weapons. Not only do they exist, but in at least two of my settings they are used. In the Belenus setting, they are mounted on capital ships as anti-capital weapons, while there are a handful of experimental linear cannons in the Terra setting. These are big, bulky, and inefficient. In other words, not handheld. Well, by a normal person, anyway. Also, they tend to be used as anti-armor weapons, not anti-personnel.

I don't really see how a Tesla coil can be used as a weapon (aside from the hand-held electricity gun called a Tesla Claw in Ratchet & Clank), but electricity guns are... well, to be blunt, a signature weapon of technomancers and mad scientists. Some Augustan mobile suits/armors feature electrified blades, but they're not ranged weapons: they're basically shock blades to further damage their enemies, but they work a treat against machines. As for EMPs, they exist. I don't use them much, mainly because most of the people they're used against are of the type to create technology immune to stuff like that (see Nicodemus Cidney and Emperor Justinian). They are energy weapons: they're basically "laser" weapons reconfigured to deliver a massive shock of energy rather than the focused destruction of blasters or lasers. In this case, the laser is used to create a focused pathway for the disruptive energy. They are, again, bulky weapons, much like laser weapons. They are also fairly rare.

Does that kinda make sense?

And WhiteFox, I will try to actually write something this weekend. Okay?

techmaster-glitch

Quote from: Jairus on January 16, 2009, 10:09:48 PM
I don't really see how a Tesla coil can be used as a weapon (aside from the hand-held electricity gun called a Tesla Claw in Ratchet & Clank), but electricity guns are... well, to be blunt, a signature weapon of technomancers and mad scientists.
Buh...but Electricity is my favorite Energy Type! :<

Jairus

Quote from: techmaster-glitch on January 17, 2009, 12:06:55 AM
Quote from: Jairus on January 16, 2009, 10:09:48 PM
I don't really see how a Tesla coil can be used as a weapon (aside from the hand-held electricity gun called a Tesla Claw in Ratchet & Clank), but electricity guns are... well, to be blunt, a signature weapon of technomancers and mad scientists.
Buh...but Electricity is my favorite Energy Type! :<
Awww, there there.  :hug I didn't say that they didn't exist, I said that they're not common weapons. Really, only a handful of people can make an effective lightning-type weapon: most of the time, they're pretty pathetic. The effective ones... well, their range sucks. To be honest, a blaster is more effective. Much more effective.

Now, I will point out the the Augustus and Tiberius units especially mount a pair of electrified folding arm blades that basically act as tasers combined with a bladed weapon, so even if it doesn't outright kill you it will cause some damage... though these are fairly energy intensive. Justinian didn't like lightning weapons: he preferred beam weapons and plasma weapons.

Arcalane

Ranged electrical weapons are quite possible even in reality. Look up Electrolasers - they use a laser to generate a path of plasma (a laser-induced plasma channel) that the electrical charge is then sent down. For obvious reasons, I doubt they're at all effective in space, but in the air, well, you've basically got a wireless taser. :)

Tesla coils in classic or Red Alert-style forms, on the other hand, would never really work, to my knowledge.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Arcalane on January 17, 2009, 06:34:47 AM
Tesla coils in classic or Red Alert-style forms, on the other hand, would never really work, to my knowledge.

This is a little off-topic, but:

http://tesladownunder.com/Red%20Alert%20Tesla.htm
...it's a long exposure.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Jack McSlay

Quote from: Arcalane on January 17, 2009, 06:34:47 AM
Ranged electrical weapons are quite possible even in reality. Look up Electrolasers - they use a laser to generate a path of plasma (a laser-induced plasma channel) that the electrical charge is then sent down. For obvious reasons, I doubt they're at all effective in space, but in the air, well, you've basically got a wireless taser. :)

There ARE a number of safety considerations when making tesla coils, so i do believe they can possibly be used as weapons, altough not C&C-style - a tesla coil grenade could be possible.
Keyboard not detected. Press F1 to resume.

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Jack McSlay on January 17, 2009, 08:51:27 AM
There ARE a number of safety considerations when making tesla coils, so i do believe they can possibly be used as weapons, altough not C&C-style - a tesla coil grenade could be possible.

Firstly: Don't Lick The Pole.
Secondly: Don't stand nearer to the pole than the target.
Thirdly: I mean it. Don't lick the pole.

Tapewolf

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on January 17, 2009, 09:00:11 AM
Firstly: Don't Lick The Pole.
I always wanted the guy in System Shock to put the 240v i-cad battery on his tongue.  He never would.
And now we may be drifting off-topic...

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Jairus

Oh, just a little bit. But that's quite alright, because you've all raised good points. First, that's basically how stun weapons worked in that one old idea of mine. And second, any operational Tesla Coil weapon is indeed impossible through normal physics and science... but a technomancer can pull it off. Someone able to build downright magical inventions that violate the laws of nature almost as bad as magic. The trade-off is that A) normal people can't build them and B) technomancers don't like lightning guns. They're mad scientists. They like death rays. Blasters. Laser cannons. Beam gatling guns. To them, a lightning gun is... well, a bit amateurish.

And compared to a blaster, the range is terrible. As is the accuracy. And the power. A lightning bolt burns and electrocutes. An EMP blast can do that. A blaster does more damage for less buck. In short, if you're smart, drop the lightning gun and pick up a blaster.

Now, how about a haiku?

My blaster warms up.
A crack rings out. A strange smell.
Burning flesh. Not nice.

Jairus