9 (28.1%)
Hands!
7 (21.9%)
Get back to work on your comic!
16 (50%)

Total Members Voted: 30

Tapewolf

Quote from: Corgatha Taldorthar on September 26, 2009, 09:57:47 AM
I assumed the latter, as he's stamping it into some sealing wax and showing it.

Yes, that's what finally convinced me.  However, it looked at first like he was pressing a button, albeit with his knuckles.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

WhiteFox

Signet rings are commonly used for sealing sekrit letters, but can be used to put your stamp of authority on any sort of document. Which effectively "signs" it as a handwritten signature would.

Like a bill of sale, for example.

As for the symbol on it, this isn't the last time we'll see it. I'll say this much; it's not Theo's clan symbol, and it is his legitimate. It's heraldry, and there's hints enough in the comic already about it's source. Free cameo to the first person who can guess.

Quote from: Tapewolf on September 26, 2009, 06:22:52 AM
What's with the halo, though?

He's an angel. I can give him a halo if I wanna.  :)
This is my pencil. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My pencil is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life...

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: WhiteFox on September 26, 2009, 05:53:39 PM
As for the symbol on it, this isn't the last time we'll see it. I'll say this much; it's not Theo's clan symbol, and it is his legitimate. It's heraldry, and there's hints enough in the comic already about it's source. Free cameo to the first person who can guess.

Of course it's not his clan symbol; we saw that in the first or second strip (depending on if you think the first strip was clear enough); it's only the two outer half-circles, with a sort of tick at the top, which implies that the two laurel branches on this one are sort-of related, but not the same thing.

I'd say they're a druid thing, from his mother's side. And the sword would then, obviously, be a reference to the Archmagister - only it seems more likely to be a reference to his Master Overlord thing...

Could be almost anything. That's the fun of heraldry...
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Tapewolf

He's an angel. I can give him a halo if I wanna.  :)

Heh.  The wing configuration is a bit of a giveaway.  However a lot of people seem to have problems breaking the association with medieval Christian angels - typically assuming that they are always good and that demons are always evil - and I guess I wanted to see if you were leaning that way as well  :P

WhiteFox

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on September 26, 2009, 07:28:22 PM
I'd say they're a druid thing, from his mother's side. And the sword would then, obviously, be a reference to the Archmagister

A good guess, but not a correct one.  :3

Quote from: Tapewolf on September 27, 2009, 07:22:30 AM
Heh.  The wing configuration is a bit of a giveaway.  However a lot of people seem to have problems breaking the association with medieval Christian angels - typically assuming that they are always good and that demons are always evil - and I guess I wanted to see if you were leaning that way as well  :P

The diametric nature of angels and demons will be a significant element in DSOF's story. There are a few principals I'm taking from Abrahamic faiths, including that Angels-are-good and Demons-are-evil.

...But good and evil isn't always black and white.

Besides that, all the demons and angels in DSOF are still characters. If they all simply acted according to their species, they're a lot less interesting.

(And no, I'm not planning on making a huge deal about whether or not Theo and his actions are good or evil. Too cliche.)
This is my pencil. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My pencil is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life...

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: WhiteFox on September 27, 2009, 06:00:49 PM
Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on September 26, 2009, 07:28:22 PM
I'd say they're a druid thing, from his mother's side. And the sword would then, obviously, be a reference to the Archmagister
A good guess, but not a correct one.  :3

Shame. Are they supposed to be laurel branches, or something else?

SpottedKitty

As for the symbol on it, this isn't the last time we'll see it. I'll say this much; it's not Theo's clan symbol, and it is his legitimate. It's heraldry, and there's hints enough in the comic already about it's source.

Well, we've already seen the old wedding painting (on p34) when Felix was poking around in Theo's room, and Theo gave his rank (on p14) just before he lost his temper with Felix, so I'd say the signet and its device, and the credit account that goes with it, are his — he hasn't done the Furrae equivalent of "borrowing" his parents' credit card.
ENGLISH: A language that lurks in dark alleys, beats up other languages
and rifles through their pockets for spare vocabulary.

WhiteFox

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on September 27, 2009, 06:12:04 PM
Quote from: WhiteFox on September 27, 2009, 06:00:49 PM
Shame. Are they supposed to be laurel branches, or something else?

Antlers, actually.

Quote from: SpottedKitty on September 27, 2009, 06:38:37 PM
Well, we've already seen the old wedding painting (on p34) when Felix was poking around in Theo's room, and Theo gave his rank (on p14) just before he lost his temper with Felix, so I'd say the signet and its device, and the credit account that goes with it, are his — he hasn't done the Furrae equivalent of "borrowing" his parents' credit card.

All correct... I'd call that a winning guess. The signet ring is part of Theonor's regalia, and bears the coat of arms for one of his baronies. SpottedKitty, send me a PM if you'd like a cameo.  :)

SpottedKitty

Quote from: WhiteFox on September 27, 2009, 08:55:15 PM

All correct... I'd call that a winning guess. The signet ring is part of Theonor's regalia, and bears the coat of arms for one of his baronies. SpottedKitty, send me a PM if you'd like a cameo.  :)

<gleep>

I actually won one of these little "guess the wotsit" things?   :boogie

OK, give me a little while to think this over, I'll PM you soon.

WhiteFox

Incredibly late, but done. Yay.

DSOF#47

Significant delays on this page for a couple of reasons. Which I could go into, but wont.

I will say this much: Jade is tall. Freaking tall. Eight foot, nine inches. This has been true since day one, but I think pg. #47 is the first page where it's really evident.

I think I remembered to draw Theo's tail for the first time in... well, probably ever.

Still mad at the backgrounds. I think they're half as crappy as they have been, but that's still pretty crappy. (If anyone's wondering, they're supposedly at a table outside of a cafe. The gray field in the last two panels being the wall of the cafe. Cripes, I'm a hack)

Anyway... Comments and critiques very much appreciated.

SpottedKitty: I sent you a PM. Still waiting for a response.

[EDIT:] Also, new avatar. As the seasons change, so do I.

Corgatha Taldorthar

Jade is eight foot nine?!?

Uhm. How do her legs support her upper body?
Someday, when we look back on this, we'll both laugh nervously and change the subject. More is good. All is better.

!KCA

Quote from: Corgatha Taldorthar on October 07, 2009, 11:49:17 PM

Very well. :3

WhiteFox

Yep. I had all the character heights figured out fairly early in the comic's planning stages, and she's the tallest. (Well, except for Grastille, but he's a bit character. And dead.)

From the CCC thread, a height chart including Kipiru Starrider, an Average Being, and Jade:
Height Sheet (Warning: Moderate NSFW. No clothes, but not anatomically complete)

Well, Ralgu clocks in at 12 foot 6. But he hasn't shown up yet.

1: She's a demon. Supernatural strength, durability, and endurance.
2: Said legs happen to be shapely and well toned. So, to second !KCA, very well indeed.

She's a big girl, she can stand up for herself. (Rimshot)

If it's any consolation, Dark Pegasus Aliph probably matches that easily. Or her, for that matter.

SpottedKitty

Quote from: WhiteFox on October 07, 2009, 09:56:30 PM

SpottedKitty: I sent you a PM. Still waiting for a response.

Apologies for the delay, PM sent with references.

Very nice new page. Jade looks good with her makeover. And I wonder who this is coming in from stage left...?

WhiteFox

DSOF #48 is now up. Note: I would consider this page just barely work safe.

Gotta love vixens, eh?

Backgrounds continue to be a bit of a problem. Originally, I was going to do them entirely in digital. It turns out that this just does not work for me. I cannot draw unless I'm putting pencil to paper, and I'm pretty sure I'm hardwired that way. I've started doing more work on the BG's in the planning stages (including sketching out a set before blocking in a thumbnail draft of the page). They're looking much better.

However, I only started doing this after #49 was already drawn and inked. #50 is also drawn, and mostly inked, and it's set is looking much nicer. I don't think starting 48# over is really worth it, so we'll be in the "Formless Gray Cube" district of Zinvith (rich with cultural and historical significance) for a little while more.

The astute may notice that I just said that I have #49 and #50 drawn and inked, after taking 4 days to post page 48. At this rate, I may consider updating twice a week. If I can get to next monday on schedule, I'll know.

As ever, critiques and comments would be very much appreciated.

techmaster-glitch

Oh my. I wonder if Emeline's mouth has gotten her into trouble before? :U

Incidentally, I'm also wondering why Theo is trying to escape rather than diffuse the situation between two of his own friends.

As far as critique goes, two things to say;
One, I like how Emeline has one headwing straight up up and one folded down. That's a nice bit of uniqueness I've not seen before. It almost looks like a salute...

Two, and I'm being completely honest here, I think you screwed up Emeline's side profile in the second panel. Her body looks like a man's, not a woman's, because she looks like she has pecs instead of boobs. They aren't "out" at all, which is quite weird, as the shading in panels one and five imply a -very- ample bosom. Especially since she's folding and tucking her arms under them in the fifth.
Basically, don't be afraid of being truthful with profiles. Cuz really...that just doesn't look right.

so we'll be in the "Formless Gray Cube" district of Zinvith (rich with cultural and historical significance)
xD
Heck, I'd probably live there...

WhiteFox

Quote from: techmaster-glitch on October 14, 2009, 02:03:23 AM
Incidentally, I'm also wondering why Theo is trying to escape rather than diffuse the situation between two of his own friends.

Very good question... Emeline is wondering the exact same thing in the last panel there.

Theo and I, however, already know the answer, and it will come up in the future.  >:3

One, I like how Emeline has one headwing straight up up and one folded down. That's a nice bit of uniqueness I've not seen before. It almost looks like a salute...

I was going for a kind of "fancy feathered hat" sort of look. But without the hat.

Two, and I'm being completely honest here, I think you screwed up Emeline's side profile in the second panel. Her body looks like a man's, not a woman's, because she looks like she has pecs instead of boobs. They aren't "out" at all, which is quite weird, as the shading in panels one and five imply a -very- ample bosom. Especially since she's folding and tucking her arms under them in the fifth.

I'm... not sure on that. I usually consider bewbs as hemispherical in dimensions, being wider then they are deep (of course bearing in mind that the exact shape is far from an actual hemisphere). In that respect, panel #2 may be more accurate then #5 in terms of how deep they should be.

As for looking mannish, they are shaded pretty roundly. The dress might be confusing her profile, since it doesn't "tuck" under her bust.

Well... Only one thing to do. I'm just going to have to spend a few days drawing heuge bewbs till I sort it out. Darn.

techmaster-glitch

Quote from: WhiteFox on October 14, 2009, 02:36:37 AM
I'm... not sure on that. I usually consider bewbs as hemispherical in dimensions, being wider then they are deep (of course bearing in mind that the exact shape is far from an actual hemisphere). In that respect, panel #2 may be more accurate then #5 in terms of how deep they should be.

As for looking mannish, they are shaded pretty roundly. The dress might be confusing her profile, since it doesn't "tuck" under her bust.
Well, the reason why it looks wrong to me is I don't think even flat-chested women have assets that wrap around the sides of their chests, which is what's going on in panel two. As far as I know, that's for muscles, not mammaries (although I am admittedly not an anatomy buff). But that's just me.

WhiteFox

Quote from: techmaster-glitch on October 14, 2009, 02:43:14 AM
   Well, the reason why it looks wrong to me is I don't think even flat-chested women have assets that wrap around the sides of their chests, which is what's going on in panel two. As far as I know, that's for muscles, not mammaries (although I am admittedly not an anatomy buff). But that's just me.

A-ha.

I think you're right. The ribcage isn't flat across the front so mammaries do "wrap" somewhat, but I've probably placed them too far to the side.

Thank you for the feedback, by the way. It's very much appreciated.

SpottedKitty

Quote from: WhiteFox on October 14, 2009, 03:14:40 AM

The ribcage isn't flat across the front so mammaries do "wrap" somewhat, but I've probably placed them too far to the side.

I'm not too sure about that, actually, I thought it was a natural outcome of her shoulders-back pose and the narrow front of her dress.

BTW, that's a nice (im)practical application of the "Theiss Tittilation Theory" you have there...   >:3

WhiteFox

Quote from: SpottedKitty on October 14, 2009, 03:31:04 AM
Quote from: WhiteFox on October 14, 2009, 03:14:40 AM
The ribcage isn't flat across the front so mammaries do "wrap" somewhat, but I've probably placed them too far to the side.

I'm not too sure about that, actually, I thought it was a natural outcome of her shoulders-back pose and the narrow front of her dress.

Having her shoulders pulled back, and her back arched, might account for some of it. Still, I'm going to have to do additional sketching.

Quote from: SpottedKitty on October 14, 2009, 03:31:04 AM
BTW, that's a nice (im)practical application of the "Theiss Tittilation Theory" you have there...   >:3

What can I say? Emiline has... talents.

Tapewolf

I can't comment on the artwork itself (and right now looking at it probably wouldn't be a good idea) but I have to say, I do kind of like the way this is heading.  I just hope they don't get kicked out of the city.

!KCA

If you don't want to put a lot of work into the background, just vary the heights a little so it doesn't look like they're wandering around a bunch of giant cubicles. You could also vary the colors a bit. Pinkish grey is a good color; it's highly evocative of brick and certain types of sandstone and granite. Stick with "more grey, more mid-sized" to avoid making the background look cluttered. You can pour a lot of personality into a set of buildings with just two colors and three different heights.

SpottedKitty

Quote from: WhiteFox on October 14, 2009, 03:40:16 AM

What can I say? Emiline has... talents.

And quite a perky... wingspan.   ;)

WhiteFox

Quote from: Tapewolf on October 14, 2009, 04:54:31 AM
I can't comment on the artwork itself (and right now looking at it probably wouldn't be a good idea) but I have to say, I do kind of like the way this is heading.  I just hope they don't get kicked out of the city.

[EDIT] Misunderstood Tape's comment. Got kind of emo.

Ahem... Glad you're enjoying the show. Art-comments are always appreciated, tho.

Quote from: !KCA on October 14, 2009, 08:38:21 AM
If you don't want to put a lot of work into the background...

Actually, I do. I just have to find a process that works. Still, all those suggestions will are useful. I'm sure I'm going to have panels where I won't want to take 2 hours to draft out complicated architecture for a "talking head" shot.

ChaosMageX

Quote from: WhiteFox on October 08, 2009, 02:24:10 AM

Yep. I had all the character heights figured out fairly early in the comic's planning stages, and she's the tallest. (Well, except for Grastille, but he's a bit character. And dead.)

From the CCC thread, a height chart including Kipiru Starrider, an Average Being, and Jade:
Height Sheet (Warning: Moderate NSFW. No clothes, but not anatomically complete)

What is Ralgu's species?

Wow, if Jade is 8'9", that means that my demon characters will have to be in 8'-10' height range, since they're all ungulates and would stand taller with digitigrade legs.

How tall is Kiripu?  I want Ignacious to roughly match his height, since they're both unicorns.

Icon by Sunblink

WhiteFox

Quote from: ChaosMageX on October 15, 2009, 02:18:03 AM
Quote from: WhiteFox on October 08, 2009, 02:24:10 AM

What is Ralgu's species?

Wow, if Jade is 8'9", that means that my demon characters will have to be in 8'-10' height range, since they're all ungulates and would stand taller with digitigrade legs.

How tall is Kiripu?  I want Ignacious to roughly match his height, since they're both unicorns.

Ralgu hasn't appeared yet, so we don't know.

Kip's bio says three meters tall. It's in the CCC thread.

WhiteFox

DSOF#49[NSFW: Language and Strong Themes]

I love Emeliné's expression in the fourth panel. "Dear god, I'm dealing with crazy person!"

Alternate title I considered was "Is Jade Gonna Have To 'Choke a Bitch'?" but I decided that was a little too crude. Also rejected: "It Turns Out Jade is Totally Ghetto", also rejected for reasons that that have not come up yet in the comic.

I also considered putting a parting shot from Jade in the third last panel, but I thought Emmie's expression pretty well said it all.

Although it seems to be a recurring element, I am very particular about my use of intimidation through physical means. In the incident between Jade, Felix, and Theonor, for example, it didn't really work for any parties involved (Let's face it, the only one intimidated for that whole event was Felix, and he was more concerned about Theo's rank and status).

I have decided not to start updating twice a week. I don't want to burn out on the comic, and there are too many other things that need attention. Like an actual website for the comic. Plus, I wouldn't have time for anything else at all if I did.

As always, comments and critiques appreciated.

llearch n'n'daCorna

You're right, a parting shot really wasn't needed.

And it's nice to see Jade is at least relaxed enough to settle down and enjoy her tea. Maybe.

SpottedKitty

Quote from: WhiteFox on October 16, 2009, 09:10:39 PM

I also considered putting a parting shot from Jade in the third last panel, but I thought Emmie's expression pretty well said it all.

Yes, that's a pretty good "I-really-need-fresh-underwear" expression if I ever saw one...

And Jade wins the award for best rant of the strip so far.