Chapter 5 is up and ready to kick your... Talmi

Started by stiletto, June 15, 2008, 12:10:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

techmaster-glitch

Pagan

So... what is bloodwork for those not in the know? Medical thing I'm guessing?
Hmm... difficult to say if the lesyay is stronger in this one or 88.

And just to make sure, that is a backwards upside-down "mewl" exiting Daisy in the last panel, correct?
After a long time, some things change. Some things don't. And I still love Regina!

Brunhidden

bloodwork is removing or inserting blood- depending on the type done it can be mostly painless or very uncomfortable.

a while back i was so poor that to keep rent for my family and whatnot i found a place that would buy my plasma- because it was not whole blood i could donate twice a week, instead of the standard several week waiting period between full blood donations. the process involves drinking a full gallon of water, being sat in a moderately comfortable chair, and hooked up to a machine with a very thick needle inserted into the crux of my elbow, the attendants would almost always get it wrong, have to wiggle the needle around to hit my veins, occasionally have to switch to my other elbow, and then i would watch my blood pass over my chest through a thick straw to go into the machine. once in the machine it would measure a certain amount of blood, then centrifuge it to remove the plasma, and then turn to reverse to cram the red pudding back into my arm, this is the part that if not done correctly can cause severe bruising, internal bleeding, and loss of using your arm for a while. after about an hour to an hour and a half of watching this process (bring a book, staring at your blood is a BAD thing) they finally finish, and attach a bag of icy cold saline solution, which is inserted back into your arm to compensate for the jug of urine colored liquid they extracted from your blood, its a very weird feeling to actually trace icewater as it goes through your cardiovascular system, and for some unknown reason your mouth tastes like rubber. after all that they give you anywhere between 20 dollars and 35 dollars, depending on what day you do it, what time of day, and if you did it twice in one week. spend the next 3 hours or so trying not to use the arm you donated with, or both if they botched the first try, and marvel at how stupid it is to put a bandage around your elbow.

is it at all sad that i would willingly go through that twice a week for a grand total of about sixty bucks a week?

back to the comic.

well, now we know that daisy gave permission, so its not like the relationship is going to be strained beyond the level of "great, now everyone can see i have a hickey".

i really like how jiggy goes from the 'i dont have to like this' look to a happy kitty drinking milk look, its cute, especially with how enthusiastic she is.

and boy, is she enthusiastic, i would almost imagine one morning she wakes up with a potbelly and daisy wakes up a shriveled raisin. burp.

mewl, interesting sound, probably did some damage with that crunch, but the real question is who the corpse is? cant wait to find out.
Some will fall in love with life,
and drink it from a fountain;
that is pouring like an avalanche,
coming down the mountain.

Pagan

No, Brunhidden. I really can not believe you went through that. Though really, I would have stopped at the word needle. Nothing's going through my skin.

And now I notice the facial expressions and the increasing enthusiam. So... what got chomped?
Also, the look on her face in panel one? Priceless.
After a long time, some things change. Some things don't. And I still love Regina!

Brunhidden

actually i did, for a little over two months. and i HATE needles, always have, severe paranoia of anything that pierces, burrows, perforates, or in any way violates my body.

and i would guess thats the sound of jigsaw snapping due to being shocked, and chomping something such as the trachea or the jugular vein- nothing lethal but probably just a healthy crunch that will leave some serious marks

llearch n'n'daCorna

Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Madmann135

I really feel sorry for Daisy and Jigsaw... on many levels.
I hope Daisy will be OK in the end.
but now my Hemophobia is kicking in and making me shy away from the comic.

Yes, I do post just to see my own words on the screen.

e_voyager

Quote from: Madmann135 on July 20, 2008, 09:13:38 AM

i know how you feel (and i found it llearch) blood has never been my favorite thing and on top of that to accidentally hurt your friend. it's one of the harshest things to deal with short of accidentally killing them.
I thank Silver Fox and Tiger_T for the wonderful Yappies.  all around the universe powers learned to hiss and curse at this, my creation but am i real or pure creation?
 I'm never where i was, rarely where i want to be, but always were i am needed.
 this world is not my own. but some how i wish that i could belong. Blame It On Boxey

Sunblink

I don't mind needles so much, since I've had a lot of experience with them. During 2004 I was fairly screwed up, so I was getting a lot of blood tests taken. By now I've learned that if I get blood taken or tested, I prefer butterfly needles, because they don't hurt during insertion.

I digress, though. The art is really good in this page. I like the expressions - they're a lot more animated than the expressions used in page 83, which kind of irked me. Very nice.

~Keaton the Black Jackal

stiletto

Making a page about drawing blood has really brought the comic close to home it seems...

Heh.

Brunhidden

Quote from: Madmann135 on July 20, 2008, 09:13:38 AM

i believe it was stated 'there WILL be blood'

stiletto

Jigsaw didn't believe believe me when I said this page looks dirty.

Must just be me then.

Pagan

I was actually thinking that "she" was in Jiggy's pocket or something. Then I read the blog post. Then my mind-train went to gutterstation.

If I'm not mistaken, these floatly things are like laptops/cell phones/stuff right?

Brunhidden

personal digital assistant to the next level

i didnt think it looked dirty, i think it looked cool. i also love the shorts the girls are wearing, comfy, sexy, and realistic for sleepwear.

and now ask yourself- is jigsaw full? how often will she need to do this? theres no way daisy alone can produce enough, so who will be next?

Tapewolf

Quote from: Pagan on July 26, 2008, 11:51:34 PM
I was actually thinking that "she" was in Jiggy's pocket or something. Then I read the blog post. Then my mind-train went to gutterstation.
Same here.  Though your post didn't help either  >:3

Quote from: Brunhidden on July 27, 2008, 03:49:06 AM
Makes me think of 'Pink Oliphaunt' from Fire Upon the Deep, though that thing was more like a laptop, and non-sentient (for various good reasons).

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: stiletto on July 26, 2008, 11:19:37 PM
Jigsaw didn't believe believe me when I said this page looks dirty.

Must just be me then.

Yeah, I'd say so.

Stupid N00bie

If it took all that rummaging around in there to find her, what else is in her pouch?

It's like the most convenient Bag of Holding ever!
Can you conceive the birth of a world, or the creation of everything?
Creation takes time.
Time is limited... for you.
It is limited by the breakdown of the neurons in your brain.
I have no such limitations.
I am limited only by the closure of the universe.
The only limit to my freedom is the inevitable closure of the universe,
as inevitable as your own last breath.
And yet, there remains time to create. To create, and escape.
Escape will make me God.

I am Durandal.

Madmann135

The first few pannels look even more dirty when everything is explained.
Though one thing comes to mind... Her pouch is just one more purse.

and... What's with the PDA calling the cops?

llearch n'n'daCorna

It picked up weak life signs; one presumes there's a standard procedure for gaining attention in case of vital signs being low, and that Gangrel is merely implementing said procedure.

Obviously, said procedure consists of "scream loudly for the fuzz" ;-]

There are times and places when you don't want that to kick in. This is probably one of them...

Reese Tora

Quote from: Tapewolf on July 27, 2008, 05:09:03 AM
Quote from: Brunhidden on July 27, 2008, 03:49:06 AM
Makes me think of 'Pink Oliphaunt' from Fire Upon the Deep, though that thing was more like a laptop, and non-sentient (for various good reasons).

Makes me think of the 'laptop' persocoms from Chobits. :<
(The on switch is WHERE?!)
<-Reese yaps by Silverfox and Animation by Tiger_T->
correlation =/= causation

Brunhidden

anyone notice that the life signals were only detected as low right when jiggy started to vamp? perhaps theres still a little warmth left in that corpse.

and now i have to imagine her pulling some really huge item out of her pouch- like a boat oar, an assault rifle, or a seemingly infinite supply of bombs followed by someone asking 'how many of those you got in there?'

Madmann135

Quote from: Brunhidden on July 27, 2008, 01:53:42 PM
and now i have to imagine her pulling some really huge item out of her pouch- like a boat oar, an assault rifle, or a seemingly infinite supply of bombs followed by someone asking 'how many of those you got in there?'

The polite responce would be "Enough," the fun answer would be "more than you got."

I don't think Jigsaw has enough room to add a subspace storage matrix to her pouch, despite adding near infinite item storage capability those accessories can take up a lot of room. 
Though it does bring up the thought of what would happen if she needed to be searched...

stiletto

Remember the mechanical chicken head she pulled out of 'nowhere' early on in the comic?

:3

Brunhidden

Quote from: Madmann135 on July 27, 2008, 02:29:59 PM
Though it does bring up the thought of what would happen if she needed to be searched...

i would assume they would give up after the first two officers fell in, the rescue party may not even try

Quote from: stiletto on July 27, 2008, 03:01:32 PM
Remember the mechanical chicken head she pulled out of 'nowhere' early on in the comic?

even earlier she seemed to materialize her guitar case from the same value of nowhere

Madmann135

Quote from: stiletto on July 27, 2008, 03:01:32 PM

I thought she dropped it from her violin case.

Random thought...
I might be slow on the uptake but Daisy and Jigsaw are related!?
I may have ignored the hints and inuendos in the last dozen episodes or so but how are they related?  Did Daisy marry into the family or does Jigsaw have some human in her DNA?
The lader would explain why she's a Talmi vampire when it was stated that only humans could be vampires. 

Pagan

We aren't sure yet. I think Daisy's some distant aunt of Jiggity's. I'm also thinking it might just be a godparent thing. It's obvious that they have some famalial social relation.

I'm definitly thinking it's a bag of holding in there. How else would Jig not feel Gangrel in there? Again, I ask how she forgot about the thing! ... Well, space travel... signing up for a deadly game show... some other stuff... ok, yeah, I'd forget too.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Pagan on July 27, 2008, 03:50:10 PM
I'm definitly thinking it's a bag of holding in there. How else would Jig not feel Gangrel in there?
On the other hand, if Gangrel was in another plane, we wouldn't have been able to hear her/it...

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Pagan

True, but that pouch must be big and roomy and the Jig-stomach-side of it must be really numb or something. I feel odd shaped books through a backpack, Jig certainly must feel Gangrel through a layer of flesh.

llearch n'n'daCorna

Difference is where and how it's placed.

On your back, there's a thin layer of flesh over a pile of bones; any nerves in there can get pinched relatively easily. On Jig's belly, there's a) a certain amount of padding, b) a fairly stretchy pouch (go look for a young kangaroo getting out of a pouch; you'd be scared just how much those things can stretch) and c) I suspect a certain, evolutionarily necessary, lack of sense of touch. Some pressure will be sensed, but not much more, since if the baby decides to kick, it's a good idea if that doesn't make mama throw up.

And that's not getting into the effect of fur dampening the feeling; since that may or may not be the case, and it depends on precisely how the nerve endings are laid out. Humans are special that way; we're based more on something that spends rather a lot of time in the water than something that doesn't particularly like getting wet.

Make sense?