The DMFA Radio Project

Started by Tezkat, July 08, 2006, 04:22:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

komissarmakarov

Well, I've got them on Putfile (what's so bad about it?), so here you go; some short ones ripe for concrit. They are from Abel's Story, and are my attempts at Devin and Xander*:

Page 33 Panel 2 Devin

Page 38 Xander

*CONCRIT NEEDED, just so you know :U

Tapewolf

Quote from: Komissar Makarov on November 01, 2006, 06:43:13 AM
Well, I've got them on Putfile (what's so bad about it?)

Apart from the fact that it crashes all my web browsers (at work, anyway), you have to download the HTML source code, find the right line and then download that in order to save the file to disk, which is a prerequisite for actually using it in the project  >:3

This is not a big problem when there's only one or two files, but when there's 30 or so it is horrible.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

komissarmakarov

Bugger- so I'll just email them to you or Illearch for hosting, then?

Tapewolf

Quote from: Komissar Makarov on November 01, 2006, 07:43:44 AM
Bugger- so I'll just email them to you or Illearch for hosting, then?

Either that or I can download them at home (in about 6 hours)

James StarRunner

Well, I've got them on Putfile (what's so bad about it?), so here you go; some short ones ripe for concrit. They are from Abel's Story, and are my attempts at Devin and Xander*:

Page 33 Panel 2 Devin

Page 38 Xander

I had to crank up my speakers all the way to hear what you were saying, but otherwise it wasn't too bad. How far away were you from your microphone? Any way you can get closer to it?

Tapewolf

Right, finally managed to pull it into some audio editing software.  It's quite impressive how good the quality is considering that it's virtually flatlined.

As for the acting, it's pretty decent.  Whether it fits the characters I cannot say.  I kind of
like the Scottishy accent on Xander.  To be honest I'm not convinced on Devin.. he sounds a little bit too psycho.  If I remember the strip correctly he should be laughing manically about that point.

komissarmakarov

Quote from: James StarRunner on November 01, 2006, 01:50:21 PM

Page 33 Panel 2 Devin

Page 38 Xander

I had to crank up my speakers all the way to hear what you were saying, but otherwise it wasn't too bad. How far away were you from your microphone? Any way you can get closer to it?

Well, I did have to lower my voice a little at the time (little brother had friends over, and I was embarassing him :rolleyes ). Will try later this weekend, when I'm alone in the house.

Quote from: Tapewolf on November 01, 2006, 02:39:46 PM
Right, finally managed to pull it into some audio editing software.  It's quite impressive how good the quality is considering that it's virtually flatlined.

As for the acting, it's pretty decent.  Whether it fits the characters I cannot say.  I kind of
like the Scottishy accent on Xander.  To be honest I'm not convinced on Devin.. he sounds a little bit too psycho*.  If I remember the strip correctly he should be laughing manically about that point.

* :boggle The scary thing is, that's the way I normally speak.

Anyway, thanks for the info, Tapewolf; I'll have more Xander McDonall recordings up by next week, if you want them.

Aridas

Bah. I attempted devin, but i had forgotten several things, like the voice i was going to give him. my normal voice is too nerdish for a devin...

Tapewolf

Okay, so I think we have actors for Devin and Xander now.  That means we'll need Abel too :P
Insane, do you think you could start work on the adult Abel voices?
They start on Abel's Story #27 (referred to as 'page 25' in the archive)

insanekaosx

Quote from: Tapewolf on November 09, 2006, 06:09:10 PM
Okay, so I think we have actors for Devin and Xander now.  That means we'll need Abel too :P
Insane, do you think you could start work on the adult Abel voices?
They start on Abel's Story #27 (referred to as 'page 25' in the archive)

I guess I can try and work around the whole computer mess up bit for some voices. I'll give it a go either later today or tomorrow

Edit> So far so bad, I can't get the system to read my microphone. working on it.

Tapewolf

Quote from: insanekaosx on November 10, 2006, 07:19:55 AM
So far so bad, I can't get the system to read my microphone. working on it.

Which system is it?  Mac, Windows or Linux (I think you have all three..)  Just checking, are you sure it's not listening on the wrong input or muted?

insanekaosx

Quote from: Tapewolf on November 15, 2006, 05:12:10 AM

Which system is it?  Mac, Windows or Linux (I think you have all three..)  Just checking, are you sure it's not listening on the wrong input or muted?

I've taken a look at inputs and such, and it all seems correct. A third look at inputs is something I'm considering though *I know it isn't muted*

And yeah, this is Ubunutu. I have sworn off Windows, and with my computer online, use the Mac only when nessecary. If I can't get this working by the end of the wekk, I will deem it nessecary to use the Mac's microphone.

I believe it may be a driver issue. Ventrilo wouldn't work right either, but then it also wasn't playing any sound so it may be a different issue altogether.

Tapewolf

Quote from: insanekaosx on November 15, 2006, 01:17:54 PM
Quote from: Tapewolf on November 15, 2006, 05:12:10 AM

I've taken a look at inputs and such, and it all seems correct. A third look at inputs is something I'm considering though *I know it isn't muted*

And yeah, this is Ubunutu. I have sworn off Windows, and with my computer online, use the Mac only when nessecary. If I can't get this working by the end of the wekk, I will deem it nessecary to use the Mac's microphone.

What software are you using to get at the volume levels and capture source?  On ALSAMIXER and Kmix it looks like this:

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k216/tapewolf/scraps/volumes.png

..you select the inputs you want for capture.  Stupid thing doesn't seem to save them for later sessions, though.

I don't think the built-in input/volume controls in Audacity work.

(Thought: we'll probably want to have Insane doing Merbel's inner thoughts and me doing his voices.  Hope it doesn't come over as too confusing :P)

llearch n'n'daCorna

If you still get stuck, feel free to bother me at some point. I may be able to offer some suggestions...
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

GabrielsThoughts

I'll try to work in seth tommorow...if i can find time in my busy schedule of nothing that I had palnned...
   clickity click click click. Quote in personal text is from Walter Bishop of Fringe.

Tapewolf

Quote from: GabrielsThoughts on November 15, 2006, 02:18:26 PM
I'll try to work in seth tommorow...if i can find time in my busy schedule of nothing that I had palnned...

That would be much appreciated.

e_voyager

who all do you need recoded form where?
I thank Silver Fox and Tiger_T for the wonderful Yappies.  all around the universe powers learned to hiss and curse at this, my creation but am i real or pure creation?
 I'm never where i was, rarely where i want to be, but always were i am needed.
 this world is not my own. but some how i wish that i could belong. Blame It On Boxey

Tapewolf

Quote from: e_voyager on November 17, 2006, 02:20:27 AM
who all do you need recoded form where?

I'm not entirely sure what that means I'm afraid, but if the question is "who do you still need voices for," we're mostly sorted for male roles, cameos aside.

What the Hell has happened to Tezkat?  Has he disappeared into SL again or something?  Would anyone with an SL account mind going and look for him?  I need Jyrras for the SAIA arc.  If I have to sub for him for this part, I'll need help and guidance on perfecting the accent.  I can get the tone about right, it's just the accent and mannerisms.

Todo: check with Blade about Fa'lina

Tapewolf

Okay, here's a new version of the 'SAIA picnic' scene.  Among lots of little fixes there is now a score at the end of which I am reasonably proud.  I've done the rats myself until I can get Marin's Photophie recordings.  I can't remember who we cast for the brown rat now.
The Mab samples are a little lo-fi but hopefully that should be fixed soon.

http://dmfa.it-he.org/dmfa/saia_496-2.wav.mp3

insanekaosx

Well, I don't think its so simple as that. I've messed with the volume settings a bit for the mic, little luck. I'm sure this error message means something.

"There was an error initializing the audio i/o layer. You will not be able to play or record audio.

Error: Host Error."

Yeah.

Audacity just doesn't like me.

Tapewolf

Quote from: insanekaosx on November 20, 2006, 05:07:51 PM
"There was an error initializing the audio i/o layer. You will not be able to play or record audio."

Usually that means it can't talk to the soundcard.  What version are you using, and have you tried adjusting things like the sample rate and so on?

insanekaosx

Quote from: Tapewolf on November 20, 2006, 05:42:58 PM
Quote from: insanekaosx on November 20, 2006, 05:07:51 PM
"There was an error initializing the audio i/o layer. You will not be able to play or record audio."

Usually that means it can't talk to the soundcard.  What version are you using, and have you tried adjusting things like the sample rate and so on?

Uhm, perhaps >> ie-no, I haven't messed with sample rates. Perhaps this soundcard error would be the reason music players skip as well >> *ahem*

By version I suppose you mean what is my soundcard. NVidia2 something or other, like essentially the rest of my system >> nForce2 AC97 Audo Controller

Tapewolf

Quote from: insanekaosx on November 20, 2006, 09:19:34 PM
By version I suppose you mean what is my soundcard. NVidia2 something or other, like essentially the rest of my system >> nForce2 AC97 Audo Controller
I meant the Audacity version.  1.2 and 1.3 are using different versions of PortAudio, which is the platform-independent device layer.  By default 1.3 compiles with PortAudio v19, which defaulted to ALSA and caused me endless trouble until I recompiled it with v18 which uses OSS instead.  It should give you the version of PortAudio that it's using on the preferences window where you select the soundcard.

insanekaosx

oh, see, that makes more sense >> ><

and I hit enter too soon.

Okay, so Audacity wont' tell me what version it is*not in the program itself,working around that*, and under preferences, where I choose the sound device there are no options and it does't mention PortAudio either.

Edit> Audacity 1.2

Tapewolf

Quote from: insanekaosx on November 21, 2006, 05:09:48 PM
Audacity 1.2

Damn.  Okay, I'll assume that in 'preferences' it's set to use '/dev/dsp' for the soundcard?
Does that file exist?  Do you get some hideous sound if you do
'cat /dev/urandom > /dev/dsp' on the command line?  (Press CTRL-C to shut it up...)

insanekaosx

bash: /dev/dsp: Device or resource busy

>> We've invaded the Radio Project thread. To keep this one on topic might I suggest we take this to PMs or something...

llearch n'n'daCorna

I'd say both of you should do it in the IRC, since I'm actually watching what's going on....

But that's just me...

Tapewolf

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on November 22, 2006, 02:41:58 PM
I'd say both of you should do it in the IRC, since I'm actually watching what's going on....

I haven't used IRC for 10 years.  I can't say I liked it either.  Anyway - it looks like his soundcard can only handle one program at a time, and ESD has grabbed it.  Audacity doesn't seem to support ESD.  He doesn't have esdctl to shut it down (and although 'kill' is tempting, restarting it would be a pain).  I left him instructions to try and apt-get the esound-client package, which may sort that out.  I can forward you the PMs if you want a look-see...

Back on topic:

James, do you think that you can get Tara to record as much of the current Alexsi arc as possible, when next you're both in the same house, I mean?  This arc looks to be real fun, but we'll need her for a lot of Dan's voices.

llearch n'n'daCorna

It figures I'd be way too late. :-)

No, the summary was fine. IRC is simply because I happen to be there, and I like to think we're amusing. Mostly, though... :-)

Edit: *updates scripts* *whistles innocently*

Poofyspikes

I've been quite busy what with college life and all, and I rarely check this forum anymore. If you need anything from me, bother me via emailing andrew_chung (at) hmc.edu