The DMFA Radio Project

Started by Tezkat, July 08, 2006, 04:22:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Tapewolf on August 06, 2006, 05:43:31 PM
Now: here's my latest version of SAIA #3.  It has the complete organ score, which thanks to the arpeggiation is now so complex it requires three hands and a foot, and can therefore only be played by two organists, some kind of sequencer or a 'cubi with wing-tentacles.

http://dmfa.it-he.org/dmfa/saia3_2.wav.mp3

Since we still need Nirfy, I have done her myself.  In all other respects I believe it is complete, although I could do with a higher quality recording of Mab.
**EDIT** and more 'angry Abel' sounds, done by Insane instead of me.

For my part - I have one minor niggle.

Arc 18, strip 518, panel 3 & 4... I would put the -rip- before the rest of the sentence...

So, "Well, in that case, " *rip* "I'll just..."

Arguably, of course, but I take it to be a "full steam ahead and damn the torpedos" situation - in Abel's case, mostly because he's fairly sure he's immune to anything Dan can do, but the effect is someone who is -very- arrogant, and hence is not likely to notice that Dan has clenched and gone over the edge...

At least, not immediately.

Does that make sense? Current, you have the rip showing up just before "Dan?" in panel 4, which, to my mind, shows Abel being rather more sensitive than I'd expected for this particular point - in this case, he's aware and worried, whereas I read him as being mildly oblivious, and if he *does* notice, he's not -that- worried...

I'll just stop flogging this particular dead horse, ok? :-)
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Tapewolf

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on August 07, 2006, 10:51:36 AM

For my part - I have one minor niggle.
Arc 18, strip 518, panel 3 & 4... I would put the -rip- before the rest of the sentence...

So, "Well, in that case, " *rip* "I'll just..."

Arguably, of course, but I take it to be a "full steam ahead and damn the torpedos" situation - in Abel's case, mostly because he's fairly sure he's immune to anything Dan can do, but the effect is someone who is -very- arrogant, and hence is not likely to notice that Dan has clenched and gone over the edge...

I did play around with various placements, but I settled on that because the timing just 'seemed right'.  The other thing is that Dan is going to yell pretty soon after he sees (and is able to believe) what Abel is doing.  The rip sound worked quite well on top of Abel - Dan's yell that early on would probably not be so intelligible.

To be honest, I thought you were going to complain that we bring Ink back too soon after the Nirfy attack (and I am going to try and fix that at some point).

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

llearch n'n'daCorna

You mean you've got me pegged as complaining? Man. And here I was trying to be all helpful and stuff. :-/

My grasp of what Dan was doing at this stage was shocked into silence, as it were. Hence the missing consonants... YMMV, of course.

Tapewolf

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on August 07, 2006, 01:36:04 PM
You mean you've got me pegged as complaining? Man. And here I was trying to be all helpful and stuff. :-/

That was perhaps the wrong way to put it.  A great many of the things you've spotted could indeed be improved, and I hope you'll continue to spot things.

QuoteMy grasp of what Dan was doing at this stage was shocked into silence, as it were. Hence the missing consonants... YMMV, of course.

I'm not quite sure what you mean here..

llearch n'n'daCorna

Uh...

"then I'll just.."
*rip*
... dan gets shocked to the point of being unable to make -any- noises...
"redesign it to meet SAIA standards... Dan?"
"a.. aa.. oo.. oo.. oee"
"ooo, very good try. Now let's see if we can get the consonants."

You see how it sortof follows the theme? First silenced, then unable to speak clearly, then recovered. Ish. Well, as recovered as Dan gets, anyway.

(oh, and I wasn't really serious about objecting to being called complaining. My skin is a trifle thicker than that. Heck, my skin is thicker than most :-)

GabrielsThoughts

hey J.P., can I do the bunny dude, its only one line, Click here to listen

if you think I can do someone else let me know.
   clickity click click click. Quote in personal text is from Walter Bishop of Fringe.

llearch n'n'daCorna

GabrielsThoughts, that's totally unusable under anything that's not windows... And I doubt it's usable to shove into the tape, since it's not downloadable in mp3, wav, or ogg format...

I *could* be wrong, and I'll wait for Tapewolf to confirm, but if he can't get a file, he can't open that in his sound mangling app...

You may want to look into opening up a photobucket account, or if you email the file to me, I can dump it on my webserver for him...

Tapewolf

If you dismantle the page, you can get at the WAV file inside.  If it was a WMA file or something then I would have thrown a hissy-fit.  As it is, that's not too bad although rather inconvenient, especially when there are multiple files.

You could just email it to me or James or Llearch or someone.  I couldn't really hear it properly at work, I'll try it out later tonight.

James StarRunner

The voice is good. We already have someone for pip though. Before e-mailing it could you rerecord it with the following changes?: Without Pip sounds, exchange "What the..." with "AIIIIII! Get it off!" with some additional screams, and to more easily eliminate the background noise without much distortion could you speak up a bit more too?

As I said, the voice is good and I think it fits the character well. I hope those changes won't be much of a bother.

Alondro

*Charles sighs*  I have no microphone, otherwise this is something that sounds like fun.  I used to do semi-professional acting in a dinner murder mystery-comedy theater at Dave & Buster's in Philadelphia for a couple of years, until graduate school and a new lab job made the time requirements too difficult to meet.  *chuckles*  We actually had Kage and Susan Deer there for two shows... and we secretly set Kage up to be the murderer in the second one.  That was a blast.  :laugh

Ah, the days long past when I had time to be really creative.   :meh
Three's a crowd:  One lordly leonine of the Leyjon, one cruel and cunning cubi goddess, and one utterly doomed human stuck between them.

http://www.furfire.org/art/yapcharli2.gif

GabrielsThoughts

is this better?
Click here to listen

if you want It's also broken into three seperate recordings, I just fused them for convienence
   clickity click click click. Quote in personal text is from Walter Bishop of Fringe.

James StarRunner

Quote from: Alondro on August 08, 2006, 01:35:56 PM
*Charles sighs*  I have no microphone, otherwise this is something that sounds like fun.
Aww... too bad. It sounds like you'd be a great addition!

Quote from: GabrielsThoughts on August 08, 2006, 02:11:31 PM
is this better?
Click here to listen
Oh, forgot to warn you... When yelling, it's easy for the sound to "clip". What I always have to end up doing is to lower the mic sensitivity (recording volume) for yells/screams. The acting's great, it's just the sound quality for the yells now.

GabrielsThoughts

May Rewanz

Hehe...I had to laugh at the slight "ad-lib" of "let go of my finger".  Although you might want to change it to "let go of my ankle" if you do decide to do a line like that.  If I'm not mistaken, there's a little something of a running joke about Pip being an "ankle biter".

Tapewolf

James has hit the nail on the head.  It looks like this:

http://www.jpmorris.force9.co.uk/stuff/clipping.png

The screams sound a little contrived too, but I like the voice.
I'm not sure how you do really good screams.. I've managed to do some passable ones, but James seems to be the master.

This is from the comic cliche storyline is it not?  That's not on my list of priorities.
If you want to do Bon, though, that might be more useful in the near term.  We'll assume that Bon is male (although it's hard to tell with Taski)

May Rewanz

Hehe...I had to laugh at the slight "ad-lib" of "let go of my finger".  Although you might want to change it to "let go of my ankle" if you do decide to do a line like that.  If I'm not mistaken, there's a little something of a running joke about Pip being an "ankle biter".

Edit: ((ARGH!  Stupid double post monster!!))

Aridas

Quote from: Tapewolf on August 08, 2006, 03:07:45 PM
James has hit the nail on the head.  It looks like this:

http://www.jpmorris.force9.co.uk/stuff/clipping.png

The screams sound a little contrived too, but I like the voice.
I'm not sure how you do really good screams.. I've managed to do some passable ones, but James seems to be the master.

This is from the comic cliche storyline is it not?  That's not on my list of priorities.
If you want to do Bon, though, that might be more useful in the near term.  We'll assume that Bon is male (although it's hard to tell with Taski)

I believe the official word is that Bon is female... Stuff like this never comes out though so *shrug*

Tapewolf

If you play it at 32khz instead of 22khz it makes a really keen 'kid' voice.

GabrielsThoughts

Quote from: Tapewolf on August 08, 2006, 04:05:02 PM
If you play it at 32khz instead of 22khz it makes a really keen 'kid' voice.
darn my cherokee ancestry, oh well whatever works...

I don't think I could do bon that well anyway it requires a smothe talking snake oil salesman not an not a ritilin deprived urbanite. I still tried doing one of the panels though.

Click here to listen to good-question

Tapewolf

Quote from: GabrielsThoughts on August 08, 2006, 05:07:31 PM
I don't think I could do bon that well anyway it requires a smothe talking snake oil salesman not an not a ritilin deprived urbanite. I still tried doing one of the panels though.

I think it's quite good.  There's a Problem with the PoPPing though.  Try speaking across the mic instead of directly into it.

This and other recording tips can be found here:  http://dmfa.it-he.org/howto.htm

By the way, you might want to try Rapidshare or www.files.bz - that Putfile thing only plays half the recording and I have to hack it to download the wav file :-/

Hilary

Since no one seems to be trying for Nirfy, here's my shot. I had to redo it so many times that my throat hurts... shouting is not my thing. I might have pronounced 'bishonen' wrong...

http://rapidshare.de/files/28788138/526_Nirfy.wav.html

Tapewolf

Quote from: Hilary on August 09, 2006, 01:06:57 PM
Since no one seems to be trying for Nirfy, here's my shot. I had to redo it so many times that my throat hurts... shouting is not my thing. I might have pronounced 'bishonen' wrong...

http://rapidshare.de/files/28788138/526_Nirfy.wav.html

To me, Nirfy comes across as being more excitable and uncontrolled, like Dan is the most beautiful thing she's ever seen and she has to have him at any cost.  I'll also need some happy or contented sounds to go with Dan's screaming (which I took from the Mow scene, by the way).

Don't get me wrong, that's a good voice.  I'm just not convinced it fully expresses what she is doing.  And I don't know how 'bishonen' is pronounced either..

llearch n'n'daCorna

Just out of interest.... where was it the list of the names you're still looking for was? :-)

Hilary

Quote from: Tapewolf on August 09, 2006, 01:51:01 PM
To me, Nirfy comes across as being more excitable and uncontrolled, like Dan is the most beautiful thing she's ever seen and she has to have him at any cost.
Some of the ones I recorded were a lot more out of control, but they had some serious clipping going on. I'm not sure if I can lower the mic sensitivity, since the mic I'm using is built into the computer (it's a Macintosh.) Is that something you can change in audacity, or does it have to be changed on the mic itself?
Anyway, I'll give it another shot as soon is my house is empty and quiet again.

QuoteAnd I don't know how 'bishonen' is pronounced either...
A pronunciation can be found here at the wikipedia article, but my computer is too old, clunky, and stupid that whenever I try to listen, it freezes up.

Tapewolf

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on August 09, 2006, 01:57:04 PM
Just out of interest.... where was it the list of the names you're still looking for was? :-)

On James' site.  http://www.crystaltopia.com/DMFA%20stuff.htm

Hilary, according to that site it's pronounced somewhere between 'Bee-shonen' and 'Bish-onen'.  Which is not what you or I did.

Audacity should allow you to change the volume level with the slider at the top, but whether that works on the MacOS I don't know.  I don't know how to do it through the OS on the Mac either, although I can tell you how its done in the Linux or Windows.  There's got to be a soft volume control somewhere.

Hilary

Quote from: Tapewolf on August 09, 2006, 02:12:21 PM
Audacity should allow you to change the volume level with the slider at the top, but whether that works on the MacOS I don't know.
Aha... Effects< Amplify does the trick.  :3

Tapewolf

Quote from: Hilary on August 09, 2006, 02:25:52 PM
Aha... Effects< Amplify does the trick.  :3

Actually that's only changing the volume of the recording after it's been made.  It won't prevent it from overloading and it doesn't have such a good effect on too-quiet recordings either.  you really need to change the incoming level if at all possible.

http://www.jpmorris.force9.co.uk/music/audacity1.png
..in this screenshot, the input volume slider is at the top, below the record, pause and stop buttons.  As you can see it doesn't actually work in my setup.. but I'd try it on yours and see if it does work on the Mac version.

insanekaosx

As far as I know *Not claiming to be a master of the Japanese language or anything*, its pronounced bee-shonen. At least, thats how yellign it like that would be pronounced, according to the fangirls of America. Bi-shonen seems more right when I'm sjsut saying it though.

MY brothers hoem from camp, so my ability to use the mac has been greatly decreased. I'm still trying.

edit> Audacity is also much more basic than that on Macs. Well, on MacOS9.x at least. Actually, probably just cause you have so many files there, and an extra bar or two on top :P >>

Hilary

Quote from: insanekaosx on August 09, 2006, 02:40:02 PM
edit> Audacity is also much more basic than that on Macs. Well, on MacOS9.x at least.
Yes, and how annoying it is. *eyetwitch* The one I'm on now is OS9, and lacks all the fancy stuff. My laptop has that mic slider bar on it, I think, as that one is OSX. But it, conveniently enough, is broken, and I have to go through all this wierd stuff to make it so that the screen works. It's annoying as heck, but I'll see if I can record this bit on it instead.

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Tapewolf on August 09, 2006, 02:12:21 PM
On James' site.  http://www.crystaltopia.com/DMFA%20stuff.htm

Hmm. I should go through the scripts and match names to names, perhaps. Or at least provide a transfer map?

... Not unless anyone complains, I guess. I've done enough on it as it is :-)