Japanese Stabbing Spree

Started by AngelSephy, June 08, 2008, 09:19:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AngelSephy

7 dead in stabbing spree in downtown Tokyo

Just... wow. This is getting ridiculous. People are becoming more and more violent. Kinda scary...  :U

:giggle Although I giggled at the title.

Jigsaw Forte

Huh.

And here I thought the Japanese had guns?

Valynth

Nope, only the self-defense forces and a few law-enforcement agencies get those in Japan.  For the most part private citizens can't carry guns.

This just proves that people kill people.  They especially target people who can't defend themselves.
The fate of the world always rests in the hands of an idiot.  You should start treating me better.
Chant for something good and it may happen
Chant for something bad and it will happen
C.O.D.:  Chronic high speed lead poisoning  (etch that on my grave)

Zina

More reason why Akihabara sucks ass.

Quote from: Jigsaw Forte on June 08, 2008, 11:02:04 PM
Huh.

Uuuh no. They don't. At all.
Aside from the police and gang members, that is.

But the general population makes do with their knives and box cutters.

gh0st

well crap, i feel apologetic for the ones who died but at the same time can't stand in wonder that they didn't die because of a mass produced rail gun or a giant mech.

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Zina on June 08, 2008, 11:47:27 PM

Hmm. Any idea what the laws over there are about carrying edged weapons? As distinct from the laws in the US or the UK or NZ, I mean?

Purely curious; I'm not sure I'd want to head on over there at any point, if only because my interests lie in other areas.
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Zina

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on June 09, 2008, 03:32:13 AM

Hmm. Any idea what the laws over there are about carrying edged weapons? As distinct from the laws in the US or the UK or NZ, I mean?

Purely curious; I'm not sure I'd want to head on over there at any point, if only because my interests lie in other areas.

The law is anything with a blade longer than 6 centimeters cannot be carried around unless you have a good reason. Unless it's something like scissors, in which which case it's 8 centimeters, or something like that. Even then, they need to be concealed.
You may own a sword only if it is registered and it is purely for artistic shake.
If they catch you breaking the law, you can get slapped with a huge fine and jail time.

Fire-arms, however, are just flat out illegal to own.

llearch n'n'daCorna

Interesting. So you'd have to register the sword you're carrying home from the store for your particular chosen martial art before you leave the store, as it were.

Not that that's significantly different to official rules elsewhere, of course.

Thanks, Z. I learned something today. Yay. ;-]

Darkmoon

More reason why Akihabara sucks ass.

Quote from: Jigsaw Forte on June 08, 2008, 11:02:04 PM
Huh.

But guns are so much more effective at open boxes than a box cutter.
In Brightest Day. In Blackest Night...

Alondro

Frankly, I think it'd be safer for people to carry swords than little knives.  At least you can't hide a frigging 3-foot + long sword in your pocket!

And as Sweeny Todd demonstrates, even a teeny blade will do the trick if you know how to use it.

As long as people want to kill people, they'll find a way.  Outlawing weapons never stops murders.  Just take poisoning for instance.  As one who knows something about chemistry, you'd be amazed how many toxins can be made with stuff found everywhere.

We should be happy that at least there is enough morality and social restraint left that not everyone wants to kill everyone else, because it'd be very easy.  You can't stop it unless there's a change in the minds of the murderers (or you just kill em off with good ol fashioned lynch mobs!   Which are much cheaper!  >:3 ) .  Even a rock or a pointy stick can be fatal.  Then there's glass, hard plastic, lamps, golf clubs, baseball bats...

You get the picture.  There will never be a way to stop murder by outlawing weapons.  The ones who want to commit crimes will find another way.  The only way to really stop it is find the criminals before they can do anything.

Thus, we need more psychic detectives and the Psycorps.   :B 

>:OThat's all I can think of!!!  Let's hear YOU come up with a better idea!   >:O
Three's a crowd:  One lordly leonine of the Leyjon, one cruel and cunning cubi goddess, and one utterly doomed human stuck between them.

http://www.furfire.org/art/yapcharli2.gif

Jack McSlay

I agree with the point that strict weapon rules isn't that much of a help. Since when people who are willingly commiting a crime will bother about how legal is the weapon you're carrying?

In USA it's relatively easy for civilians to legally own large guns, and here in Brasil laws are very strict (at most, only pistols can be legally obtained and only a few people can carry them outside their own houses) while the crime rates in these are opposite to the strictness of weaponry laws.

Unless police goes crazy and start searching for people the very moment they step out of their houses, it doesn't make a difference, as you won't know they have an illegal weapon before they do something even more illegal with the given weapon
Keyboard not detected. Press F1 to resume.

Zina

While that's true, Japan also has an extremely low crime-rate. Not to say crime doesn't happen in Japan, it obviously does. But when something like this does happen, it's such a shock to the rest of Japan as it is so rare.
Whereas if something like this happened in America, chances are we'd forget about it in a few days, if the rest of America cares at all.
Also, honestly? If the guy had a gun he probably would have done a LOT more damage.

bill

Japan has a low crime rate because their justice system is a travesty tbh

Jack McSlay

that's a point that puts me in total agreement with neither theory. in a contry where you can have guns, if you point a gun at someone, you're at risk of getting a gun pointed back at you if you get distracted, and in a country that doesn't have guns you decrease the risk of a wacko causing a massive damage when on a rampage

besides, isn't it much harder to something unnoticed on a country with one of the largest demographic densities in the world?

Zina

I could be wrong, but I haven't heard a lot of stories that go "So and so went crazy and started shooting people, and then another citizen with a gun showed up and shot him back". Not a whole lot of people are going to go about their day-to-day business with a concealed weapon, "just in case".

And it's no so much a case of us not noticing a crime, but rather that we've become desensitized to it. Whereas crime is relatively low in Japan, the suicide rate is among the highest in the world. People kill themselves IN PUBLIC in Japan on a daily basis. The trains run so efficiently that the only reason a train should suddenly stop for longer than 15 minutes is because someone just jumped  in front of the train and they are cleaning the body off the train tracks. It gets to the point where no one is really effected by this anymore, but rather more or less annoyed at the inconvenience. Here, when a crime happens, we notice. We've just become so desensitized to the violence.

gh0st

wow... i never knew that the suicide rate was so high... at the same time i could see where this could be a shock, i almost fell over when i found out my cousin tried to kill herself. lucky for her she has a good boy friend, the family like him now... I'm still shocked that their crime rate is so low, i'd almost expect it to be higher than most places.

AngelSephy

I agree that no matter how strict our weapon laws are, people will still find a way to kill someone. I could probably kill someone 20 different ways with a butter knife alone! It seems no matter what the item is, you can still hurt someone with it.

I actually had the reason of wanting to move to japan being that the crime rate is so low. I was unaware though about their gun laws. Part of me kind of wishes that we would have something like that. But again, no amount of control will ever stop the violence.

Makes me sad.

Zina

I could go on a rant about why the suicide rate is so high and what needs to be done to stop it, but...eh.

It's not going to change anything.

Zorro

Quote from: Zina on June 09, 2008, 04:02:32 AM
Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on June 09, 2008, 03:32:13 AM

The law is anything with a blade longer than 6 centimeters cannot be carried around unless you have a good reason. Unless it's something like scissors, in which which case it's 8 centimeters, or something like that. Even then, they need to be concealed.
You may own a sword only if it is registered and it is purely for artistic shake.
If they catch you breaking the law, you can get slapped with a huge fine and jail time.

Fire-arms, however, are just flat out illegal to own.

HELLO!  CRIMINALS DON'T OBEY WEAPONS LAWS!     :B

Zina

Of course they don't. That's why they're criminals.
But, again, I must point out the fact that the crime-rate in Japan is very VERY low. So although Japan is far from a perfect country, they must be doing something right in that regard.

llearch n'n'daCorna

It's fairly simple.

If you commit a crime, what is the expectation that you'll be caught?

In Japan, it's reasonable to assume that you WILL be caught, so only the insane attempt it.

In the UK, it's reasonable to presume that you can get away with it. Less than half the time, you'll be wrong, but if you're reasonable sane about it, you'll be ok. So crime goes on...

Similarly in the US, I expect.

Alondro

And that is why I think the cops should be able to shoot on sight when a suspect runs.  And none of that stupid 'shoot to wound' crap.  100 bullets at least!  Head shot if possible!  Oooo... and they should get a score card for prizes for the most head shots in a year!

*gleefully revels in evil mascinations*   :boogie

Go with the assumption, 'he wouldn't be running if he were innocent!'

And that takes care o' that!  *wipes hands diligently*
Three's a crowd:  One lordly leonine of the Leyjon, one cruel and cunning cubi goddess, and one utterly doomed human stuck between them.

http://www.furfire.org/art/yapcharli2.gif

llearch n'n'daCorna

There's just one problem; it's a little difficult to ask him why he was running after he's dead...

Jack McSlay

while it's a fact that a murdered won't really bother breaking one more law. it remains that being illegal, added to the fact that's really hard to hide something on the country with one of the highest demographic densities in the world, will make guns VERY hard to find and likely very expensive as hell, so it's rather unlikely someone in the urge to kill people will go through the trouble of getting a gun.

so yeah, while i'm not wooty about disarming laws, in this case, it works to a degree

Toric

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on June 10, 2008, 08:44:39 AM
There's just one problem; it's a little difficult to ask him why he was running after he's dead...
They'd also have to worry about this guy.

Okay, time for relevance. It's quite sad that the title elicited for me an image of 8-Bit Theater's Black Mage rampaging through downtown Tokyo.

Edit:
Fixed your link.
-- llearch
Yap by Silver.

Sunblink

Quote from: Zina on June 09, 2008, 04:48:10 PM
And it's no so much a case of us not noticing a crime, but rather that we've become desensitized to it. Whereas crime is relatively low in Japan, the suicide rate is among the highest in the world. People kill themselves IN PUBLIC in Japan on a daily basis. The trains run so efficiently that the only reason a train should suddenly stop for longer than 15 minutes is because someone just jumped  in front of the train and they are cleaning the body off the train tracks. It gets to the point where no one is really effected by this anymore, but rather more or less annoyed at the inconvenience. Here, when a crime happens, we notice. We've just become so desensitized to the violence.

I'm fairly surprised by this information. I never knew that the suicide rates in Japan were so high. That's almost depressing, because suicides make me sad. :< Personally, I don't want to move to Japan, though (unlike some artists I know). I'd rather live in Germany or Sweden, but they probably have their own slew of problems.

But on the relevant topic, this is extremely depressing. They mentioned Japan's low crime rate in the news article I read about the subject - but it feels like this kind of shit can happen anywhere. Stabbing sprees... that's the kind of stuff you'd almost expect out of a horror movie. Personally, I'm going to avoid the current debate on weapon possession and its affect on crime. I feel as though my opinion on the subject isn't strong enough.

~Keaton the Black Jackal

Faerie Alex

Quote from: Alondro on June 10, 2008, 07:56:57 AM
And that is why I think the cops should be able to shoot on sight when a suspect runs.  And none of that stupid 'shoot to wound' crap.  100 bullets at least!  Head shot if possible!  Oooo... and they should get a score card for prizes for the most head shots in a year!

*gleefully revels in evil mascinations*   :boogie

Go with the assumption, 'he wouldn't be running if he were innocent!'

And that takes care o' that!  *wipes hands diligently*
Ah...you've never heard of the Sean Bell case then, have you?
Jeez I need to update this thing.

Valynth

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on June 10, 2008, 04:41:08 AM
It's fairly simple.

If you commit a crime, what is the expectation that you'll be caught?

In Japan, it's reasonable to assume that you WILL be caught, so only the insane attempt it.

In the UK, it's reasonable to presume that you can get away with it. Less than half the time, you'll be wrong, but if you're reasonable sane about it, you'll be ok. So crime goes on...

Similarly in the US, I expect.

Actually, the ability to get away in the U.S. is greater due to larger land mass.  I mean, Lets face it.  The U.K. and Japan are a series of islands.  They're not exactly prone to having large chunks of uninhabited land that criminals can hide in indefinitely until the heat dies down.

Let us also note that the land constrictions are slightly negated by the idea of appeasement set in the U.K.  Namely that the person getting robbed is not supposed to resist the robber and wait for the police muddle it out.  And if they DO resist the U.K. throws the victim in jail and the robber promptly heads to the victims house for a little burglary in addition what ever restitution's he gets from the trial of the victim for "being aggravated/assaulted/wounded."

Scary, but it has happened.  Especially if a firearm was used to deter the criminal, because guns certainly aren't just mindless tools like axes.
The fate of the world always rests in the hands of an idiot.  You should start treating me better.
Chant for something good and it may happen
Chant for something bad and it will happen
C.O.D.:  Chronic high speed lead poisoning  (etch that on my grave)

Azlan

Japan is not what people think it is... it is far worse.
"Ha ha! The fun has been doubled!"

Sofox

Zina: I would actually be interested in your thoughts about Japanese suicide. It may not change anything, but you'd be informing people about another culture and increasing their knowledge and understanding of other people in the world.
Personally, I don't think I could stand life in Japan. It seems to be a work, work, work, cog in machine sort of culture, and call me Irish, but I think there are more important things in life.