Furrae Chronicles: Webs of Destiny (OOC) [M] {3} - Closed

Started by Tapewolf, October 11, 2007, 03:18:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tapewolf

Quote from: James StarRunner on October 11, 2007, 03:12:54 PM
Heh... Magical or not, I'd still wear the other glove. My one glove 'Jackson' days are over. The old set were originally two gloves as well, just one was lost when he was young. :P

Yeah.  Jakob's actually said "them" - I was assuming that you'd take them both anyway.

Edit:
Original thread here...
  -- llearch

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

James StarRunner

What I found really hard, was restraining myself from using Dan quotes. XD

Gareeku

Sorry Stygian, but considering what Gar went through, I had to. ^^; If you don't like it then I'll edit it.

Tapewolf

QuoteWatching Jakob work his magic (literally) on the glove to make it enchanted, Gareeku had to admit that he was impressed. The wolf incubus was indeed a proverbial box of tricks when it came to spells and enchantments, not to mention other things like equipment. His eyebrows were raised somewhat, however, when the patch didn't work the first time.

James asked me about this during the hiatus.  Originally the idea was to teach him how to hide his wings, but Jakob isn't very good at teaching people.  While he might have been able to do this for Niall (his adopted son) much like Abel taught Dan, he would be teaching another 'Cubi who had an innate ability to do it and not an Angel.  However, he did make a crude magical charm for Niall when he was still too young to be able to control his powers.
That said, this was 200-300 years ago and he hasn't done it since, so getting it right on the second try is pretty good going.

As I said, it was originally going to be three attempts, but James got confused.  In retrospect two is better since three would have been a bit too slapsticky, whereas one failed attempt is realistic.
As they say, the program never compiles on the first attempt...

Tapewolf

I'm assuming Stygian's "What's your name" is aimed at Keaton, not Aisha, and that he's not trying to disrupt Jakob's private conversation.  If he is, I'm going to pull that bit and pick up the conversation when he isn't around.  Because Jakob is not going to say that stuff too loudly while others are listening.

Aisha deCabre

I think it was aimed at Keaton.  Also, it's Ephrael that's drunk...
  Yap (c) Silverfoxr.
Artist and world-weaver.

Tapewolf

James StarRunner

Ya, Sty seems to have missed that too. James doesn't drink alcohol guys... Remember, I'm filling in for Pal.

Tapewolf

Quote from: James StarRunner on October 12, 2007, 10:10:10 PM
James doesn't drink alcohol guys...
I must admit I did a double-take when I first read your post... that did seem pretty out-of-character.  Anyway, mine was posted about 2am and if Styg lives where I think he does it would have been about 3am for him, so...

"I haven't had thoughts like that since I went mad," Jakob whispered.  He looked scared.

That's not strictly true... there is a point when he considered stealing another incubus' soul in CJP.  On the other hand, he did think that they'd soul-eaten someone.  We'll put it down to him being too flustered to think straight. :P

Gabi

I'm assuming Gabi could hear Jakob and Aisha, as she has heightened senses.

And I insist, I wish I'd had a chance to participate in yesterday's conversation, but I was busy correcting exams.
~~ Gabi a.k.a. Gliynn Starseed, APF ~~
Thanks to Silver for the yappities, and to everyone for being so great!
(12:28:12) llearch: Gabi is equal-opportunity friendly

Cogidubnus

I've spoken with Gar, but I'll wait for his approval here before going ahead.

Name: Cogidubnus Mithlome
Nickname(s): Cog
Species: Were
Family and Associations: Father (Eruantien Mithlome) and Mother (Lidan Mithlome

Physical Description

Height: 6' 2''
Weight: 185 lbs.
Build: In good shape, but of a mild constitution.
Eye color: Yellow
Hair: Shoulder length, silver
Skin/fur: Caucasian, and grey when he has it.
Distinguishing Features: Cog is bereft of distinguishing marks or features, except for his shades and hat, which he is seldom apart from. He wears a suit of sorts, of very loose, black clothing. The buttons of his jacket are made of silver, and he often has a piece of twisted silver hanging from a thin silver chain on his neck. His sword is solid black, excepting for the furniture, which is all made of silver, and his hat and glasses are trimmed with the same.

History:
   Cogidubnus was born approximately 300 years ago. His early history is largely unknown – left only in his memory, and to those whom he has decided to tell. His past is largely unremarkable, excepting for his life-long study of the art of the sword, and some unusual and unfortunate incidents concerning rogue wizards and mages. This has left him with somewhat a dislike for magic users. Cog wanders around much as he feels fit to do, settling down to teach some youngsters how to swing a blade when cash is needed, and moving on when he can – most of his money, however, was obtained from the sale of a rather large hoard of magical trinkets left over after taking over a wizard's abandoned tower.

Abilities:

Cog is a very deadly melee fighter, and is focused on killing a single opponent very quickly. His quick-draw technique allows him to surprise his opponents, and his incredible speed with this technique usually lands him a one-hit kill. Having studied the sword for almost 270 years, he is an incredible swordsman, deadly with the sword both in and out of the scabbard.
Cog's most valuable attribute is his speed. From a simple standing stance, he can draw, strike, and re-sheathe his sword before his opponent can register the movement, let alone blink. He uses this speed to deadly effect, and it extends to more than merely drawing the sword. His cuts are fast indeed, and he can string them together with deadly results, the effect not unlike a long, continuous arc of steel.
When his sword fails, however, Cog turns to his lychanthropic heritage. The Wolf grants him more than increased speed and strength – it also gifts him greatly increased senses, both when he is a wolf and not. His eyes and nose are always sharper than they should be, and his ears are always listening.
Thanks to his many years of training, and partly to his lychanthrope blood, Cog can manipulate the energies to an astounding degree. Due  to the particular nature of the energies inside him, Cog has learned to manipulate them not only within himself, but without -  to manifest it physically, the energy taking the form of almost-invisible waves of force. Depending on how hard he concentrates, or how much energy uses, he can knock a cup off a table, shatter glass, or crush bones. This ability does come at a price – overuse can exhaust him, and it takes him time to recuperate.
Due to a strange twist of fate, Cog found himself cursed with the burden of becoming what he most hated – which, strangely, turned him into a mage, for some time. A very powerful one. However, he managed to dispel the curse, only to find that the magical knowledge granted him still resided in his memory, apart from the magical geas. Thusly, Cog has some measure of magical ability, and great power with thunder magics.

Weapons:

Besides his sword and himself, Cog has few other defenses - the five charms that he carries about himself serve rather well, however. Each one has a different effect, but each also has a limited amount of charge. They are as follows:

The Broken Moon: Imbues everything it touches with holy magic and holy properties.
Winter's Bite: Imbues a weapon with cold properties.
Iridescence: Creates a shield of holy magics around the user.
St. Angela's Cross: An Amethyst-studded cross that can heal minor wounds.
Coin of Storms: A coin that can absorb and store light, and emit it later.

Strengths:
   One-on-one, Cogidubnus can usually slaughter a single opponent. He is inhumanly quick with his sword, and he has multiple tricks up his sleeve for those whom steel cannot cut. He carries multiple protective charms on him, usually of a light-magic nature, and he can use his internal energies to create bubbles or waves of force – depending on many factors, it can be powerful enough to crush an opponent.

Weaknesses:
   One-on-more than three, however, Cogidubnus tends to get overwhelmed quickly. As well, he has a few of the weaknesses that lychanthropy gives him: wolfsbane is a very effective poison against him. He is weaker when fighting in a full moon, unless he is in full wolf form, in which case, he has gone mad. He will kill anyone close to him, and is feral in his rage.

Trivia:
Very fond of coffee. Hates most mages, finding them abusers of power. Has a strange past, which he'll seldom mention, unless it's to ask if you've seen a tiger by the name Arcturus, or a Jackal by the name of Laertes. Is soft-spoken, but eloquent and friendly, and oftentimes will start spouting poetry at the slightest provocation.
Unlike most Were's, Cog is afflicted with a curse tailored to his race, lychanthropy – he was cursed at a very young age, and it it this that makes him vulnerable to full-moon nights, and gives him his unnaturally long life. He has a lifespan of approximately 833.33 years.

Gabi

Hi, Cogid. That's a strange description for a character on a Furrae-based RPG, but I guess Gareeku will know if it suits his game or not.

Cogidubnus

Depending on how nice Gar is feeling, Cog is furrae-compatible. He's Were, but with a small twist, and there aren't any conflicts with any Furrae-lore that I know of.
If he wishes me to change something, I will most certainly do so.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Cogidubnus on October 13, 2007, 03:14:01 PM

Interesting.  He seems rather different from your normal Furrae Were, though. 

QuoteHates most mages, finding them abusers of power.
I'm not sure I follow that.  Do you mean he hates Being mages, or that all Creatures (remember, he's a Creature too) and Beings who know how to work magic?

Gabi

I think he means he hates everyone who uses magic regularly.

Cogidubnus

Quote from: Tapewolf on October 13, 2007, 03:22:12 PM
Quote from: Cogidubnus on October 13, 2007, 03:14:01 PM

Interesting.  He seems rather different from your normal Furrae Were, though. 

QuoteHates most mages, finding them abusers of power.
I'm not sure I follow that.  Do you mean he hates Being mages, or that all Creatures (remember, he's a Creature too) and Beings who know how to work magic?

Yes, the age thing. It explains that down at the bottom.

I mean to say, he hates those who literally devote their lives to the study of magic, for the sake of magic - I.E. your classic mage.
In the case of magic, knowledge for knowledge's sake can quickly become power for power's sake. And you know what they say about power, of course. That isn't to say that he's found -all- mages to be thus - just that he's met quite a few who've made his life hell.
At one point, he was made into what he hated most, which was a mage. He still has that ability, and it's somewhat softened his prejudices, but he's still bristly around those who throw around a lot of magic.

Gareeku

Stygian

As I know people will demand a translation, here it is:

'Girl... You are the only ones upset here. I'm just trying to get to little "Miss-bee-have" over there.'

Gabi

Would you like me to translate that to Spanish? Automatic translators really don't work.

Gareeku

One question...um...why is it assumed that creatures can drink more alcohol than beings?

Gabi

Tapewolf

Quote from: Gareeku on October 15, 2007, 12:22:23 PM
One question...um...why is it assumed that creatures can drink more alcohol than beings?
Because for 'Cubi in particular, they transition away from normal biology and rely on magic instead.  I'm assuming that the alcohol's effect will diminish as their metabolism changes, although I don't know for sure.  The sheer amount of liquid they can ingest may or may not pose a problem, but if you really wanted to win a drinking game against a mortal you could probably either neutralise the alcohol entirely (as was done in Stranger In A Strange Land) or something more exotic like emptying the stomach via teleportation.

Thinking about it, Gareeku isn't going to be old enough to do any of that, Keaton might be but then again she hasn't been properly trained.

If you want I can remove that line, but I wouldn't put any of these past Stygian's capabilities.

Gareeku

I guess. The effect that alcohol has on someone is because of the chemical entering the blood stream and interacting with the chemicals in the brain. I wouldn't have thought that magic had anything to do with that.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Gareeku on October 15, 2007, 12:31:51 PM
I guess. The effect that alcohol has on someone is because of the chemical entering the blood stream and interacting with the chemicals in the brain. I wouldn't have thought that magic had anything to do with that.
Maybe, but a sufficiently powerful 'Cubi doesn't need to drink at all, or even breathe.  Jakob is old enough for that to have happened, but to be honest I haven't decided if it has.  Probably not entirely.  Abel, at 400, is apparently able to hold his breath for a couple of hours.

Anyway, Mike in Stranger in a Strange Land was able to remove the alcohol content from his drink before it hit his stomach and it was therefore impossible for him to get drunk at all.  Abel or Jakob could probably do that since transmutation is easy.

Ultimately the specifics don't matter... what Jakob is really concerned about is them doing something which a Being can't and thereby revealing that the party consists largely of Creatures.

Gareeku

Um...not every town in the world is still creature intolerant. There do exist towns which are less "edgy" about creatures.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Gareeku on October 15, 2007, 12:41:24 PM
Um...not every town in the world is still creature intolerant. There do exist towns which are less "edgy" about creatures.
Very true, indeed Jakob said as much to James earlier.
But it would be somewhat foolish to risk it until he knows what the local climate is like in that regard.
Chalk it up to his paranoia if you will, but I think it's a sensible precaution  >:3

James StarRunner

Oh if only Jakob could hear James talking now. If he ever found out you went to Earth, he'd insist you take him with you. XD

Gareeku

Right. I may be wrong here, but I sense that people are getting hung up about this whole situation with the drinking contest etc.

techmaster-glitch

[useless spectator remark]
Oh come on, Gar! Let them have some fun :3 I think it's gonna be interesting...
[/useless spectator remark]

Aisha deCabre

Hm, that's just some people being in-character, methink.  I'm certain everyone's rather curious/interested on how it'll turn out really...
  Yap (c) Silverfoxr.
Artist and world-weaver.