[Comic] 29/09/08 (Project Future Pg. 32 remixed)

Started by Tapewolf, March 01, 2008, 01:38:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tapewolf

Quote from: Ryudo Lee on April 25, 2008, 05:25:26 PM
I guess you don't read 8-bit theater... you know... sword chucks?
Duh... having actually used nunchucks I should have made that connection  :rolleyes

As for 8-bit theater, I've read some of it, yes.

Quote from: Ryan_Galen on April 26, 2008, 10:51:32 PM
...you know, considering he's a robot in a prototype body, I'm surprised they gave Joshua a package at all. Oh well, not going to pry on that topic is only because of the rating of the forum in general.
I have no idea what brought that up but I believe the word you are looking for is 'recreation'.  Moving swiftly along....
QuoteI do really like the facial expressions in the comic, though. Amazing how much detail you can get from Jakob's eyes in every single panel.
Panel 3 (4 if you include the title) was a major pain in the arse.  The eyes didn't look right in the original sketch, I think the pupil and iris had blobbed together, so I redrew them but it looked scary.  I can't remember how I fixed it now.
The eyes in the first pane of the upcoming demonology gave me similar problems - they were uncomfortably penetrating.  They're better now - IIRC I stole them from another panel or page or something.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Tapewolf

The new strip is up.  Incidentally, the site is now powered by llearch's comic engine.  Thanks, llearch!  This makes updating a lot less complex and error-prone, but does mean that if you've got any bookmarks to the site itself, that they are or will soon be dead.

**EDIT**
Oh yeah, and we also did this for Keaton's birthday:
http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k216/tapewolf/dmfa/FromRussiaWithLove.png

**EDIT EDIT**
There will be two bonus updates this week, probably Monday and Wednesday, so stay tuned  :3

llearch n'n'daCorna

Question for you, tape: where'd you find the counter images?
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Tapewolf

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on May 02, 2008, 04:15:31 PM

Here, I think:
http://doc.trecom.tomsk.su/INTERNET/Counter/all.html

'Fancy Digital Red' (also in green and cyan).

Ryan_Galen

Triple update. Thinking back to the written story, I can't think of anything that could mandate such a thing... unless you're about to enter monolog mood to allow non-DMFA-readers to get some more background. Given the context of what is about to be said, that I could at least understand. Of course, the comic might take a tangent from the literary work. Till Monday, no one knows but you and Ren.

But how am I to complain? All this really means is that we get more art.  ;)

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Tapewolf on May 02, 2008, 04:39:14 PM
Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on May 02, 2008, 04:15:31 PM

Here, I think:
http://doc.trecom.tomsk.su/INTERNET/Counter/all.html

'Fancy Digital Red' (also in green and cyan).

Hmm. The author site listed is 404; I don't think I can re-distribute them without feeling guilty. Or at least risking problems later.

Oh, well. I'll just have to make some. ;-]

Tapewolf

Quote from: Ryan_Galen on May 03, 2008, 12:21:35 PM
Triple update. Thinking back to the written story, I can't think of anything that could mandate such a thing... unless you're about to enter monolog mood to allow non-DMFA-readers to get some more background.
Basically, yes.  It's a two-page aside.  The original plan was to keep it as a backup for AC, but I miscalculated how long it would take to get there and the story is now in a position where we need the exposé.  So rather than stall the storyline, or simply stick it in as part of the website, I figured it would be better to include both panels within the week.

Cramming all three in at once was a possibility, but it would have made a few people go '??' and maybe miss the main update if they didn't realise there were three pages instead of one...

Tapewolf

It's technically Monday, albeit 2am, so I've put up the page before I go to bed.  Enjoy.

**EDIT**
And now I have also updated the link in the first page of the thread, FWIW.

Gabi

Nice cameos! Even if it was hard to make out Aisha's face. James looked as if he'd rather be somewhere else... which may have been the case.

(Read Quest of Twelve)
~~ Gabi a.k.a. Gliynn Starseed, APF ~~
Thanks to Silver for the yappities, and to everyone for being so great!
(12:28:12) llearch: Gabi is equal-opportunity friendly

Gareeku

Nice comic. But canonically I don't think Aisha is a demon. :P Awesome stuff regardless.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Gareeku on May 05, 2008, 04:26:28 PM
Nice comic. But canonically I don't think Aisha is a demon. :P
Thanks!  She actually is a demon in Eternal Rains.  That said, the demonology is just a demonology and the characters in it are just examples and not canon to their real stories...

Gareeku

James StarRunner

Quote from: Gabi on May 05, 2008, 01:01:19 PM
Nice cameos! Even if it was hard to make out Aisha's face. James looked as if he'd rather be somewhere else... which may have been the case.
It was just that cafeteria calling to me. :3

Aisha deCabre

Agreed, another nice page.  You got the Demonology out quick, at least it seemed that way to me.  Still, as was said, nice job on all the cameos.  :3
  Yap (c) Silverfoxr.
Artist and world-weaver.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Aisha deCabre on May 05, 2008, 06:01:50 PM
Agreed, another nice page.  You got the Demonology out quick, at least it seemed that way to me.  Still, as was said, nice job on all the cameos.  :3

Thanks.  And thanks for letting me borrow Alternate-Aisha :P

Originally these were supposed to be cover for AC, but I managed to screw up the estimate of when we'd need them, and since I know there are people following this who don't necessarily read DMFA, it seemed necessary to give some background pretty quick after the Angel thing was introduced.

As for James' expression, I gave Ren this as one of the references and he may have taken the expression to heart :P

James StarRunner

Quote from: Tapewolf on May 05, 2008, 06:31:03 PM
As for James' expression, I gave Ren this as one of the references and he may have taken the expression to heart :P
Hehehe... That comic is making me both famous and infamous. :P

Zedd

Quote from: James StarRunner on May 06, 2008, 02:17:06 AM
Quote from: Tapewolf on May 05, 2008, 06:31:03 PM
>:3 Yesh you mighty dorkus

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: James StarRunner on May 06, 2008, 02:17:06 AM

You expected otherwise from the Mighty Mab?

Tapewolf

Demonology 2 is up.  In other news, the strip may possibly be 'late', IOW it may actually be on time instead of early >:3  We shall have to see.

Zedd

Quote from: Tapewolf on May 06, 2008, 08:34:40 PM
Demonology 2 is up.  In other news, the strip may possibly be 'late', IOW it may actually be on time instead of early >:3  We shall have to see.
Whoo nice page there

Ryan_Galen

Poor Luke. Even if this isn't cannon, people just seem to like messing with him physically. ...and mentally, but there isn't much mental toture going on in this picture.

In any case, the demonology lesson was nice. It will certainly cover things up until the weres start popping up. The thought does make me wonder what the other species have been up to in your story. You know: fey, dragons, mythos and such. I know you don't want to step on Amber's toes much, but surely you've put some thought into the subject. You're greater theme eventually will get the fey and dragon attention after all.

llearch n'n'daCorna

It occurs to me that there's a reasonable cover for a Cubi.

Anyone asks to see the real you, under force of arms, say, you morph into an Angel guise. White wings, etc.

"Oh, sorry." "It's ok, my child. You did what you thought was right." type approach...

Provided the captor isn't anti-Angel, it's gonna give you a lot of leeway in screwing with their heads...

Tapewolf

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on May 07, 2008, 05:13:34 AM
Anyone asks to see the real you, under force of arms, say, you morph into an Angel guise. White wings, etc.
Interesting.  Angels do need a concealment patch/charm to morph, though.  You could probably use a ring or wristwatch as a prop, of course.

And it's a little bit touch-and-go whether Angels are considered trustworthy.

Quote from: Ryan_Galen on May 06, 2008, 09:55:04 PM
Poor Luke. Even if this isn't cannon, people just seem to like messing with him physically. ...and mentally, but there isn't much mental toture going on in this picture.
He already had the wings - adding another pair was easy  >:3
Heck, even in-canon he looks like he's about to be trained up by a bunch of 'Cubi anyway.  For all we know the headwings are glued on or something.

QuoteIn any case, the demonology lesson was nice. It will certainly cover things up until the weres start popping up. The thought does make me wonder what the other species have been up to in your story. You know: fey, dragons, mythos and such. I know you don't want to step on Amber's toes much, but surely you've put some thought into the subject. You're greater theme eventually will get the fey and dragon attention after all.

The Fae, perhaps - I'm not so sure about the Dragons.  Mythos don't strike me as being a cohesive faction in and of themselves, they're more-or-less 'whatever's left'.

The Weres I remembered only after the demonology was planned and laid out.  That may take an extra page... I'll have to find some way to pad it out, because IIRC not many other races feature in the story.

Gabi

I do wonder what you would say about Weres. Afret all the ones who showed up in Future History were quite nasty, but of course, not all of us are like that.

I liked how this turned out, it seems objective and very descriptive. You've managed to include a lot of information in just a few panels.

Why was he doing that, anyway?

Tapewolf

Quote from: Gabi on May 07, 2008, 11:13:31 AM
I do wonder what you would say about Weres. Afret all the ones who showed up in Future History were quite nasty, but of course, not all of us are like that.
Nasty is perhaps too harsh a word.  The way I see it, they were fanatics, but not actually bad people as such.
That reminds me - I need to write the followup to that particular scenario...  I've been spending most of my time on the Dorcan-Salomere arc at the moment, but there are a lot of little things coming up (e.g. what Daryil did to earn the enmity of B&Q) and I keep losing track...

QuoteI liked how this turned out, it seems objective and very descriptive. You've managed to include a lot of information in just a few panels.

Yes.  There are a few things missing, but personally I think I got the balance about right.

QuoteWhy was he doing that, anyway?
If the question is 'why is he asking that', the reason, as I remember it, is long, somewhat convoluted and probably not worth the effort involved in explaining it, though I can try if you like  :3  Sort of an in-joke, really.
As for why I used Luke, I originally had Dorcan in mind for the incubus, but since the strip is based on the story he was created for and since all the other characters are cameos, I felt it kind of broke the pattern.  I picked Luke instead as he already has the backwings.  Another possibility was Keaton, but everyone and their dog has a succubus as an example of 'Cubi, and as with Dorcan, she's due to turn up in the story anyway.  That and it was kind of a thankyou to Turnsky, who borrowed Dorcan for Foxfire.

Gabi

I meant to ask why Luke had agreed to that and then asked why he had. Apologies if that still isn't clear.

There are several incubi on the forum, but I don't object to your choice, Luke made the strip quite funny. ^^

James StarRunner

Quote from: Tapewolf on May 07, 2008, 06:03:33 AMInteresting.  Angels do need a concealment patch/charm to morph, though.  You could probably use a ring or wristwatch as a prop, of course.
Well, it's likely not an inherent ability anyways, but they are naturally gifted with light magic, which may grant them at least the ability to cause an illusion.

QuoteAnd it's a little bit touch-and-go whether Angels are considered trustworthy.
Same could be said for any race.  >:3

Gabi

Of course. Trusting someone just because of his/her race would be both ridiculous and risky.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Gabi on May 07, 2008, 12:28:25 PM
I meant to ask why Luke had agreed to that and then asked why he had. Apologies if that still isn't clear.

IIRC, "Why am I doing this, again?" was what Ren described James' expression.  Strictly, James wasn't supposed to look like that, but the 'Cubi was supposed to look bored in the second frame, so I added the caption.  (My earlier attempts to explain this last night took many more words and was rather illegible  :3)

Memo to self: Also need Weres, Undead (since Dorcan will mention them later)

Gabi

Ah, thanks for explaining. And yes, I would have described James's expression like that too. But I don't think that caused a negative effect in the strip, it just makes us (at least me) wonder how they all ended up posing for the lesson.